Done with the DLC so far

19 minutes ago, chemie said:

But how much niobium do you really need?

It depends.. Utilizing the refinery exploit (at least it seems like an exploit..) or playing like normal? 

Spoiler

5kg Niobium

5kg Niobium + 95kg Tungsten = 100kg Thermium , 100kg Thermium + Metal Refinery = 100kg Niobium, so making ∞ Niobium

∞kg Niobium

5kg Niobium for every 100kg Thermium, so you "need"  ∞ Niobium

You basically need either 5kg or infinite Niobium :D

47 minutes ago, nakomaru said:

In what world is using a recipe included in the base game an exploit?

Sorry... you are right. I'm so used producing more out of nothing in several points (accidentally at first..) in ONI that I didn't consider how much tungsten I lose in the recipe (for my builds' size previously not that much) So, I shouldn't feel bad using that recipe, right? :D

Wait.. so if tungsten volcanos are efficient enough in a cluster with no niobium volcano then it's not a waste of a seed. :!:

59 minutes ago, sakura_sk said:

Sorry... you are right. I'm so used producing more out of nothing in several points (accidentally at first..) in ONI that I didn't consider how much tungsten I lose in the recipe (for my builds' size previously not that much) So, I shouldn't feel bad using that recipe, right? :D

Wait.. so if tungsten volcanos are efficient enough in a cluster with no niobium volcano then it's not a waste of a seed. :!:

exactly, so if you have a tungsten volcano but the niobium volcano does not spawn, you have an alternative path.

On 12/22/2020 at 9:06 AM, chemie said:

You can only really have colonies on the first and teleport planets due to shipping water or O2.  Plus the other ones are small and you can just travel once after robo miners strip mined them, and bring back everything in one trip.  I think you end up with one colony on what is now 1/3 of the map size.  You get a neat mechanic that you only use a few times....

Wild arbor trees (+slicksters) can provide a water pdirt source anywhere.  I am sustaining 6 dupes with no geysers (old world gen) on barklin.

7 hours ago, hegemontree said:

Wild arbor trees (+slicksters) can provide a water pdirt source anywhere.  I am sustaining 6 dupes with no geysers (old world gen) on barklin.

OK.  But why?  What do they need to do on the other worlds, after you have mined what is needed? .

2 hours ago, chemie said:

OK.  But why?  What do they need to do on the other worlds, after you have mined what is needed? .

Personally I opted to automate some volcanoes and not have permanent 'colonists', some of the fully automated setups can be safely moved to smaller asteroids as well.

But otherwise it seems to be clear that some 'stuff' is not yet there and we might have more reasons to run small colonies later. Hopefully: asteroids will get environmental traits, like increasing output of some plants/critters or 'soothing' environment perfect for 'resorts' and the reason to have resorts and isolated hospitals (even base game effectively has no lethal diseases). Another potential will be 'nuclear' tech, we have more than enough electrical power, so likely it involves something else. Smaller asteroids are safer to irradiate via long-range nuclear powered missile launches and nuclear rover-batteries production.

3 hours ago, AndreyKl said:

'soothing' environment perfect for 'resorts' and the reason to have resorts and isolated hospitals

Haha, I like this idea - having a paradise asteroid where dups can improve their morale and get healthy recovering from radiation...

4 hours ago, chemie said:

TL;DR: Exports

Keep in mind this is the old worldgen which has fewer geysers no magma volcano so resources are more valuable.

They refuel rockets which export the renewable gold, aluminum, excess wood, and polluted dirt (also seeds, lime etc.).  They farm slicksters, which are generating more bbq than consumed.

I use the wood and polluted dirt to generate rocket fuel and oxygen to fund my rocket trade routes.  The cargo rocket below requires manual loading and unloading but hauls an average of 80t per trip and could haul much more.

image.thumb.png.d7e52503bafc1ea3d6678e6de9af7038.png

Yeah, I'm of the same mind with the current status of the DLC.  I'm excited to see where it leads, but for now, it is so far away from what makes me enjoy the game, that I'm content to wait to see how the DLC unfolds without me.  To be especially clear, I do think what they're doing with Spaced Out is interesting.  In exactly the same way that the original ONI was potentially exciting.  But when I first started playing ONI, automation was barely a thing.  And today, automating systems is precisely what makes makes me wallow in enjoyment.

My favorite things in the game are:

• Managing heat and effectively destroying it
  • Tapping magma for heat into energy
  • Taming the (metorites in the) space biome
  • Refining metals in an energy and heat efficient manner
  • Cooling O2 and H2 into their liquid form

Right now, I don't think Spaced Out really offers this, so I can't get excited about spending a hundred hours on a base without these challenges.  It was easier to accomodate this when the game itself didn't offer it in the first place.  But right now, I can still play the base game and enjoy every aspect of the game I like.  So I'm taking a rain check for now.  (Though to stress perhaps needlessly -- I'm very excited to see where this goes)

1 minute ago, babba said:

@acidboy Thanks for sharing :adoration: What i your opinion on base game rockets vs dlc rockets ?

image.png.5103dff8f831d61821822e3d6f289671.png This make me think of Plutonium...

Good question: I like the current DLC rockets as a midgame thing.  I would be unhappy if the current DLC roadmap left us bereft of needing to build systems to create the fuels that make the late game so enjoyable and rewarding.  I LIKE having to need supercoolant to produce liquid hydrogen.  That's fun! :) But I fully expect Klei will give us this, but I suspect the early access aspect means we probably won't see it fully realized for a long while.  (which is ok!  but perhaps not for me)

Ah, supercoolant - An still unfulfilled dream for me :p I had planned in another 3000 cycles on my base game colony for the big rockets, until Klei decided to scrap the old base game.

Can`t wait to have Klei back working on rockets or throw in the radiation and reactor stuff for non-editor-play, really eager to play the game again with a fresh colony. Keep the good vibes up dear @acidboy :cheerful:

Archived