Rocket interior is not fun for me

Personal opinion obviously, but I really don't find the rocket interior to be a fun part of the game. There's lots of manual work (to add water etc) for even slightly more interesting setups, and it removes the point of other modules. Context switching between colonies is already an extra cognitive load, and the rockets just add to that.

I know there's a strong sunk cost here, but please consider taking a step back here and making rockets simple. At least the single pilot module would be amazing, as that would at least allow automated transport lanes without the interior.

5 hours ago, Gadd said:

Personal opinion obviously, but I really don't find the rocket interior to be a fun part of the game. There's lots of manual work (to add water etc) for even slightly more interesting setups, and it removes the point of other modules. Context switching between colonies is already an extra cognitive load, and the rockets just add to that.

I know there's a strong sunk cost here, but please consider taking a step back here and making rockets simple. At least the single pilot module would be amazing, as that would at least allow automated transport lanes without the interior.

Me neither.

I hope Klei will cater for non-rocket-interior-players and for rocket-interior-player-lovers.

Catering for both players groups would be perfect :p

I agree partially. I manage, but i dont like it. The new modules (rover lander...) i like. But the cramped "put everything you need in 2 tiles) capsules... no i dont like this. I can work my way around to use them, but its no fun, its a thing i have to do.

Yeah, i know some people requested this from the beginning of rockets back in the days. "Give the astronaut food" "they need to use a toilet" the´ve said. I was happy it was all "build in" and it was fire and forget. 

So for the new system is would strongly suggest to get rid of the interior again and for exploration just make a module for this.

We will likely get a method of transporting materials without rockets. There is a building in the database that will allow you to shoot resources from planet to planet. That will leave rockets just for dupe transport and that won`t need automation.

35 minutes ago, Sasza22 said:

We will likely get a method of transporting materials without rockets. There is a building in the database that will allow you to shoot resources from planet to planet. That will leave rockets just for dupe transport and that won`t need automation.

That would be awesome :chunky:

Have you got some details on that my dear friend :confused:

:cheerful::cheerful::cheerful:

image.png.33ed973b19d9a334f2e4715902848758.pngimage.png.1ad2f9498426a483a21f525b292833a5.png

Need railway cannon in the game :biggrin-new: !!! ...or anything with tank tracks :indecisiveness:

This is a drastic change, but I have always thought about making the rocket interior part of the main map. In other words, rather than building a nosecone module as one building, you actually have to build the module in the map (ie, actually construct the walls) and build a rocket control station. Then the rocket interior, would be recognized, just like rooms are identified. You can pipe water to it, oxygen, etc etc just like a normal room.

Now, the cool thing (I think) would be to attach engines under this room. And when you hit the launch button, that entire room/section of your base that you build gets launched into space, pipes/wires/building, whatever you placed in it.

This is what I like about the old rockets (that is being re-imagined as rocket ports) was that it really felt like part of ONI environment. So many ways to run piping and build the rockets. Now, we have rocket platforms where we just build a module list. It feels too flat, just like the old space map was just a row of planets. The new space map is awesome, so many different ways to get from here to there and places your rockets can be.

Integrating the nosecones into the main map would also eliminate some of the questions people have had with, why do I need a cargo bay if I can just put storage bins in my nosecone. The idea is you shouldn't need to have a separate entity of a cargo bay that simplifies storage, you build storage bins in your rocket, or conveyor loaders to automate it, or build drywall to hide it in the background.

Sure, it would make things more complex, but I don't think it would be difficult for players. Building in the world and building rooms is fairly straightforward aspect of the game that already exists. And this wouldn't be without technical challenges of course.

11 hours ago, 2tallyGr8 said:

Force a dupe in an atmo suit inside that launcher maybe? That would be entertaining to watch, even if they died on impact.

We still have no dupe in the game with the profession "Clown" - He could entertain all other dupes :biggrin-new::biggrin-new::biggrin-new:

image.png.06bba0ecef9654a5bc0016a754ae0df0.png

The rocket interiors are a delight.  Space constraints haven't been a thing in the game so far except in niche situations, so it's nice to have something new to optimize.  Squeezing life support into a single-person capsule *should* feel cramped.

That said there are a couple of things it might benefit from:

A) "Opening" the capsule door to vent gas and liquids, to space if it's too hard to do it wherever the rocket happens to be.  Or possibly dumping it out of the bottom of the rocket platform if it's landed?  Whatever's easier to code.  Given enough trips rocket interiors get a little swamp-assy, and it'd be nice to vent it all out without having to deconstruct 90% of the stuff in the capsule to put up pumps instead.

2) A feasible source of a little power.  Something like a 1x2 or 1x3 combination battery/manual charger that's slower and weaker than a hamster wheel/battery, but takes up less space and lets dupes keep a light on or sporadically run a deoxy.

D) A little space decor:

• A 1x1 lunchbox that can only hold a few kg of food, but can be kept in the CO2 layer and looks neater than a loose pile of grub on the floor. 
  • A drinky-bird decor item.  This is a spaceship, there needs to be a drinky bird. 
  • A hanging puft on a chain that floats up when you're in space.

I hope Klei will not remove the bug that you can build outside the rocket. I consider it as a nice feature, just an ability to exit the module and build solar panels and vents out is already good. Plus extra room allowed me to build semi-sufficient habitat with even massage table, telescope, toilets and full oxygen regeneration system. Nice. Somehow it resembles the old system of fire and forget. Whoever like the confined space may not use it and enjoy proper planning of their capsule.

4 hours ago, KonfigSys said:

I hope Klei will not remove the bug that you can build outside the rocket

I think they should remove the bug but instead add a late game rocket that allows you to build outside of it. Maybe even make it a space station or a spaceship that you build in space and can`t land on asteroids. Sort of a colony ship you could send on long voyages and maybe evnetually into the temporal tear.

On 12/17/2020 at 11:37 AM, Gadd said:

There's lots of manual work (to add water etc) for even slightly more interesting setups.

I hope that this part will be fixed. Like:

• External power source. Because producing power only via manual generator doesn't make sense
  • Internal buffer for oxygen and output gas buffer on starting rocket. So that when you build rocket, you pump oxygen into some adjusted LS-gas Port, it goes to rocket's buffer, then you just attach gas-pipe and a vent to some output inside rocket to pressurize the rocket. Pump to output port inside command module, then LS-gas Port will pump out content of output buffer.
  • Water input and liquid output buffers on higher tier command modules (plus gas ones). Same as above, just for water and polluted water.
  • LS module that increases size of gas and liquid buffers.

This should reduce amount of needed equipment and simplify things a lot. To the point where it will be trivial to use suit stations inside rockets.

On 12/17/2020 at 11:37 AM, Gadd said:

At least the single pilot module would be amazing, as that would at least allow automated transport lanes without the interior.

Or a flight recorder. You start with manual flight, record a two way flight with flight recorder, then rocket flies on its own.

P.S. As it is, pilot automation is problematic, you can't assign multiple pilots to same rocket and expect that only free one will go, often both will.

Archived