The Cookie Cutter

The Cookie Cutter

I had a lot of fun creating the Dragonfly Life Cycle analysis, so I have decided to write some stuff about the Cookie Cutter. I will be reviewing everything there is to do with it, and not necessarily just the life cycle.

So, first up, general information. The Cookie Cutter hangs around brine shoals, and if a boat happens to approach it, it’ll latch onto it, and bite through the vessel. After a successful piercing, it’ll go underwater for a bit.

My first question was, why does it bite the boat? Perhaps for food, after all, we have seen creatures eat wood in the Constant (old Woodie), so it wouldn’t be that out of the question in my opinion.

Next, why is it around the brine shoal? Is it perhaps protecting it? My idea is, that the Cookie Cutter hangs around the salt formations, cause that’s where its babies are. Would make sense, a bunch of them are together, they reproduce, and the babies will feed on the salt until they’ve grown. And I thought that may be the reason they are grey/white colored, is that as babies they ate the salt, and like flamingos, their color now resembles their food’s.

I don’t think the adult ones eat salt anymore, as we don’t see them jump out to latch onto salt, so I’m sticking with my theory that they eat wood. Maybe that’s why there are chunks of boats around the ocean.

My next question was, why do they float on the surface with their face? Is it not easier to see boats approaching from below? Well, my theory is that they actually have lungs, rather than gills. For starters, on their sprite I don’t see any gill-looking bits. What’s more, they have little legs, so I wouldn’t be surprised if they weren’t actual fish, but rather crustaceans or something. Furthermore, I believe that the sound they make when jumping onto your boat is a big inhale, as they get ready to dive underwater after eating through the ship. While underwater they digest the wood, of course.

And that was my take on the Cookie Cutter, a mob that is relatively forgotten. I think I’ll keep doing these things. Next up, for example, I’ll look at Slurtles and Snurtles, some other, probably even more forgotten mobs.

14 minutes ago, DaZoul said:

My next question was, why do they float on the surface with their face?

Well, maybe it's like a barreleye fish. Those have their eyes on top of their heads to see prey from above. Because as far as I can recall you can see Cookie Cutters eating things other than the boats, I think one time I saw one eat a seed (Or was it a fish?). But I don't have good memory. 

Spoiler

A barreleye fish - this might look like a computer graphic, but it's  real... the things that look like eyes at the … | Weird animals, Sea  creatures, Ocean creatures (The eyes are the green orbs)

I dunno, I'm just guessing.

2 minutes ago, ZeeDragon said:

Well, maybe it's like a barreleye fish. Those have their eyes on top of their heads to see prey from above.

Reveal hidden contents

A barreleye fish - this might look like a computer graphic, but it's  real... the things that look like eyes at the … | Weird animals, Sea  creatures, Ocean creatures

I dunno, I'm just guessing.

I've never actually heard of that fish before. Yeah, these Cooke Cutters  are pretty unlike these barreleye fish, as you said they are underwater looking for prey above, but the cutters are above water looking for prey also above water, with their flat eyes, so it felt weird to do this instead of being underwater for no reason

I think them having shells and six dingly legs is case and point that they are some sort of crustaceans. And you're probably right about them having lungs cause they are almost always facing the surface. Perhaps they also have a relation with Light- sun and moonlight as they are always looking up. I'm not suggesting photosynthesis but I think they have strong light receptors and a natural inclination to face the light, like how baby sea turtles head for the light when they are born. 

Nevertheless great analysis, I love this mob. They are pretty exciting too. It's always a thrill when you take someone that never did seafaring before to the salt formations. Their reaction to cookie cutters is often a mixture of surprise, shock, awe and horror. 

I am currently imagining a boss designed after these guys. The Cookie Cutter Count. It'd be in every horror story told to scare little birchnutters and mandrakes. The Beast, which has a larger hunger for wood than a megabaser! 

Spoiler

Also, on the wiki, it is said that they do actually eat any wood-like materials left in the water, so that theory's confirmed at the very least

It is confirmed by character quotes that they do in fact eat wood. You can throw them planks or logs and they will eat those instead. And if you just let them bite through your boat, they will swim away to rest after a good meal. 

That may be a good reason why they hang around salt as well. People approach thickly packed salt stacks to get precious mineral and often wreck their boats anyway, so food would be there regardless. They just find it easier to get their fill quicker and have potential wreckage of wood snack for later. 

4 minutes ago, stranger again said:

cool. now that you've over analysed cookie cutters can you now over analyse rockjaws and how they rotate the world?

I'm afraid that is beyond reasonable thinking. I'm talking quantum physics

2 hours ago, VouMorrer said:

what is next animal?

i recomend the gnomes at lunar grotto becouse i have no idea of what they are :lol:

I wrote it at the end, I'm going to do slurtles next, but even before that I might do something else for christmas

i was trying to think of some cool critters to suggest, then i thought "i've got it, tallbirds!" and realized we basically already know their entire life cycle...

anyways, i think some neat animals would be either moleworms or grass gekkos, especially the gekkos and their relation to literal grass growing on their body. do they grow out of the ground? do they just have dirt on their body? such a mystery. anyways, thanks for these neat little analyses!

To be fair, Woodie was a Werebeaver BEFORE he came to the Constant; it was a preexisting condition. 
It was being exposed to the Constant's moon for a prolonged amount of time that caused his condition to mutate into Weremoose and Weregoose. 

Also, actual Cookie Cutters in real life have been known to bite through the rubber cables of Submarines to get access to the engine oil. The rubber texture and the oil inside makes them believe the submarine is a Whale. 
it's possible the Cookie Cutters are simply attacking ANYTHING that gets near including the boats, rather than actually trying to eat wood.  EDIT: Apparently, they actually DO eat wood specifically and will back away if fed logs? Which doesn't actually make any sense. 

5 hours ago, TornadoCapped said:

do they grow out of the ground?

Grass Gekkos drop Leafy Meat, which means they're literally living plants. Also after a certain amount of time, transplanted grass tufts can turn into Grass Gekkos. 

7 minutes ago, Wendy C. said:

To be fair, Woodie was a Werebeaver BEFORE he came to the Constant; it was a preexisting condition. 
It was being exposed to the Constant's moon for a prolonged amount of time that caused his condition to mutate into Weremoose and Weregoose. 

....How does that have anything to do with this thread?

Archived