How to re-enable mods on DLC?

Hi,

I'd like to re-enable mods on my game. Game is unplayable without them, so the alternative is refunding. If this means decompiling/recompiling or editing the game files or anything I'll do it. Any help?

~ntp

16 hours ago, SharraShimada said:

Would you please stop opening threads on all the same topic? Mods are not possible in the DLC right now. Its forbidden. Deal with it.

I did not see that it is forbidden.  Just turned off.  This community had MODs enable in the original game before Klei even starting providing hooks into the game for modding.  I do not see why the community could not enable MODs in unsupported, user beware, form.  Anyone recall who did the original mod support work?  maybe @Cairath ?

I for one would like several QOL mods, all the Cairath's for example, no manual delivery, research queue.....

@chemie It wasn't me, although I was around at that time. People who know their way around modding in a more-than-basic way know how to do it. 

There are issues with some mods loading right now, more specifically with anims. It's more than 'unsupported', there is code that straight turns off all enabled mods. Yes, it is possible to go around the 'b'an. I rambled pretty bad on discord last night as I am really unhappy about no mods right now, but I understand that Klei wants more feedback on actual bugs without people attempting to load the game with outdated mods, or mods that appear to be compatible but break the game. Workshop hasn't received an update with a flag that an item requires DLC. It'd be hell, and I know for a fact that most users won't read warnings and will spam reports from modded playthrough. 

We (modders) had a chat last night about the situation, mostly because we were getting spammed with "tell us how to enable mods!!!!!111" and we refused to do so. We don't want to show middle finger to Klei, but at the same time we hope it's a very temporary solution. 

@Ipsquiggle @fatheroctopus Could we get some info from you guys? If there's any way we can help you with modding related stuff, please let me know. I can give you access to the modding channel. People are pushing pretty hard, and if not for us, I'm sure someone else will release a 'how-to'. How long is the mod-off period planned to last? Unless you don't mind us sharing a workaround - just please tell us *something*. We also have questions about architecture plans for the basegame-dlc switching we'd love to get answers to. Would it be possible for me to send you a list of our questions?

29 minutes ago, Cairath said:

@chemie It wasn't me, although I was around at that time. People who know their way around modding in a more-than-basic way know how to do it. 

There are issues with some mods loading right now, more specifically with anims. It's more than 'unsupported', there is code that straight turns off all enabled mods. Yes, it is possible to go around the 'b'an. I rambled pretty bad on discord last night as I am really unhappy about no mods right now, but I understand that Klei wants more feedback on actual bugs without people attempting to load the game with outdated mods, or mods that appear to be compatible but break the game. Workshop hasn't received an update with a flag that an item requires DLC. It'd be hell, and I know for a fact that most users won't read warnings and will spam reports from modded playthrough. 

We (modders) had a chat last night about the situation, mostly because we were getting spammed with "tell us how to enable mods!!!!!111" and we refused to do so. We don't want to show middle finger to Klei, but at the same time we hope it's a very temporary solution. 

@Ipsquiggle @fatheroctopus Could we get some info from you guys? If there's any way we can help you with modding related stuff, please let me know. I can give you access to the modding channel. People are pushing pretty hard, and if not for us, I'm sure someone else will release a 'how-to'. How long is the mod-off period planned to last? Unless you don't mind us sharing a workaround - just please tell us *something*. We also have questions about architecture plans for the basegame-dlc switching we'd love to get answers to. Would it be possible for me to send you a list of our questions?

Thanks for the background.  Glad it is being discussed.  I agree some official comment from Klei would be good.  Is this a 3 week thing or is it off until release (~6 months)?  or forever?

I get not all mods would be good, but clearly many of yours are QOL that would not break the game.  Deconstructable POI is another, although I can use sandbox for that. I hate the limited sweeper arm and motion sensors range for example, research queue, no manual delivery

The problem with the mod system is, either they activate mods, or they do not. There is no "this mod is fine, because its just visual, and that mod is not working, because.." There is just mods on or off. So for now mods are off. 

Ah, and they did make a statement on release. They say, mods are disabled for now. They will come back. How long though... depends. Game development is nothing you can predict. Either it runs smooth and then mods come back soon. Or it will run not so smooth, and it will take longer.

2 hours ago, Cairath said:

I can imagine the hell, its basically currently 2 different games out...

The old vanilla base game and ( what I assume ) the new base game called "Spaced Out". If I would develop mods I would only work towards "Space Out", as the new game foundation - But its just a guess. :confused:

Both game versions are probably outdated, compared to what they currently develop internally...Or what they want to develop and publish sometime in 2021.

I hope Klei provides you with detail and true fact information dear @Cairath

On 12/9/2020 at 8:05 AM, Cairath said:

What is consensus of MOD community now Klei has weighed in with an indefinite timetable?

Has the fact that two different games, requiring two different MOD code databases, and a complex MOD loader to manage the two games been discussed?  (With my assumption being Klei has under estimated the issues and therefore MODs being added to the new game is very far off if at all)

"As far as mods go, we're going to leave them off for the next while as well. There's still significant changes happening in the code that will cause mods to break frequently, and we don't want to give anyone a false expectation that the mods they install from the Workshop will work. (Language mods will still work though!) I'm as eager as anyone to get back to playing with mods, but it's just not something we feel comfortable endorsing right now." - Klei

7 hours ago, gabberworld said:

if someone need i can enable mod support, as i already tested that but i make it clear , 99% current mods probably not work because off code changes

And keep in mind, you can brick your savegame if something goes wrong. 10 hours played and then the save wont load anymore because the mod-code prevents it, is not fun at all.

Archived