Do you still enjoy playing single player

follow up question to my topic in the DST forum, are you still playing Don't Starve, what keeps you playing and why? Do you think one version is better than the other? Do you even have DST? I'm just curious what you have to say.

Yes, i still play DS vanilla. I have DST too. I like to play in RoG and SW worlds. Why? because i love to play alone, everything happens exactly the way i thought (boring random online players). If i die it's because MY fault.  DS has its own charm. I hate playing in online servers knowing that, someday, that map could be closed/unreachable.

I have DS and DST, and I prefer DS/singleplayer.  

I don't like having to teach other people the base mechanics or how to survive. I learned how to play DS primarily on my own back when the game came out in 2013, and it's frustrating to work through the basic survival mechanisms with other people. I know I've got stuff to do in order to survive the first few seasons, and I don't enjoy teaching others about how to do that in real time. It takes away from my efficiency and efforts, and may  even cause us all to die.

One of my favorite memories about DST is actually way back when DST first became a thing, and Klei had private password-protected servers. Some of us managed to figure out the password(s) and would remake the world for each other constantly. It was super fun to jump in each day and see how other people built-up or created new things all on their own, and how I could add to that or make something new, for the benefit of us all. 

I know the DS forums are dead nowadays, and I suspect that's a big part of why. Many of us have been around for so long now, and there are countless guides and videos out there for how to start and play, and we're burned out on helping troubleshoot after 7 years. I know that I myself hold back teaching the basics because I enjoyed learning them on my own so much, and don't want to spoil the joy of that accomplishment for others. I'm very picky about what I will and will not share about DS.  

4 minutes ago, minespatch said:

Only thing Single player is missing is the skins, otherwise I'd be using vanilla as my testing ground for new skins.

The skins are fun, but not important to me at all. I'm glad the skins don't give buffs/nerfs, I'd honestly do away with the franchise completely if it  turned that way.   

There are enough pay-to-win games out there, and I respect the hell out of Klei for not going that route. They give people genuine options, so the 'chieve hunters can still get their thrill, but those of us who aren't interested in cosmetics can still play as always and get them in other ways if we really really want to.   

I've always wanted the Adventure Mode maps to be a real thing and randomly generated for DS. I'd love that to be implemented, some extra-hard maps thrown in for regular survival. Or maybe just more Adventure Mode overall, LOL   

14 minutes ago, imsomony said:

There are enough pay-to-win games out there, and I respect the hell out of Klei for not going that route. They give people genuine options, so the 'chieve hunters can still get their thrill, but those of us who aren't interested in cosmetics can still play as always and get them in other ways if we really really want to.   

But when I'm on DST, I don't really play with friends when I'm testing the skins, it's just a personal thing.

I play both DS and DST, and I love both.

If I have a lot of free time, I'll play DST with friends, build base, fight bosses, make creative things.

For the DS, I enjoy playing alone and rule my own world (RoG, SW, Hamlet) on Nintendo Switch, I can relax and play it at any place I want.

I play DS often because DS doesn't have to deal with other players and has completely-playstyle-changing DLCs.

RoG, has nearly nothing superior to DST but still have its vanilla-plain flavor.

Shipwrecked, is encouraging to build base on water and have like 22365 new food sources just sitting on floor unlike any other DLCs.

Hamlet, has shops, making very, VERY easy to survive as long as you have money(capitalism alert).

every DLC has their own taste, and they are unique from single-player DS, not from DST.

This is also why I don't want DS-exclusive characters to be in DST or backwards(exception of Wagstaff, I'm sure he has lore), they has their place.

and wheres update on dspe and hamlet pocket edition plz

I still enjoy single-player Don't Starve. I like Shipwrecked and Hamlet, and I like the relatively simple nature of Reign of Giants compared to DST. There aren't so many bosses or things to do, it has the old style of farms, and bundling wrap is way easier to get. Plus you're able to pause the game when you look at the map. It's also a lot more challenging because you don't become a ghost and there's no rollback feature; if you die and didn't prepare for it correctly, then it's game over, your world is gone. And I like that challenge.

Many people might have given these reasons but I post these again anyway ( I will edit these to add/remove anything ) 

1. Lack of friends, I wouldn't have started gaming if I had friends and I don't feel comfortable playing with complete strangers.

2. Dlcs and a lot of content, just like how @Combustiblemon said different Dlcs give you different experience which DST cannot offer you.

3. Characters, DS has a lot of cool characters no need to say anything else.

4. Mega base potential, what? I love a nice tropical mega base (destroy nature to live in it :P) and atleast Klei gave the Home Sea Home update even if it doesn't have much I still love my sea bases.

5. No Lag, well even with all three Dlcs I have less lag than a DST world with caves.

6. Not Real-time

7. Awesome mods, especially the DST skins mod

8. Armor Stacking Mechanic, later in the game the bosses feel like a annoyance I just wear a night armor+thulicite crown and tank them.

And Klei Plz update DS and atleast give the bugfixs and character reworks Plz! 

EDIT:-( The character rework idea is just my personal opinion because I like the way how characters were changed it DST, this also happens to be the answer to the post below \/  )

And I also accept that DS exclusive characters should not be in DST or vice-versa. ( mostly because each time Klei adds a DS char to DST they give it some sort of awesome rework which just makes me upset )

...Love the Gorge

5 hours ago, Unnat7 said:

And Klei Plz update DS and atleast give the bugfixs and character reworks Plz!

I agree with everything you said. except for this.

I prefer the DST character reworks not be implemented into the base game, somewhat because they're designed for the multiplayer setting, but primarily because I like how DS characters play, they have that charming classic feel to them that you won't find in DST anymore.

I just enjoy the simplicity they have

Archived