Wormwood plant synergy ideas!

So Wormwood was kinda nerfed this beta and I have some ideas to change that:

1. Ive always thought: "Wormwood hates hurting his plant buddies but most of the time it cant be helped." What if he could craft tree safe alternatives? A wood armor variant made from watermelon (reduces fire damage!) A pumpkin fire pit? Like a big ol candle can be refueled (replace/lengthen wick) with grass/twigs. Other stuff: An eggplant variant of the ham bat. A potato variant of the pig skin helmet (synergy with monster characters!). Something crazy? A dragon fruit cannon that shoots carrots, needs to be fueled by carrots and rots for balance reasons. Wormwood needs to be tethered to it from his gem giving it power (Can only have 1 and very slowly drains hp.Hp loss is negated by jelly beans).

2. Plants cared by wormwood can be feed living logs/nightmare fuel/gems to animate them? Plants vs zombies style. Potatoes hug/trap enemies. Watermelons shoot seeds etc. They also rot after some time and will have a gem at their center like wormwood does. 

I really really love the first idea, craftables with farm crops! in the suggestion/feedback forum i posted an idea about making durians into grenades :D. The second idea sounds fun but perhaps asking for too much xD. 

Tbh im not sure if klei expected/anticipated having to make more changes to Wormwood with the release of this update (and within the time constraints, with everything going on + winters feast and Year of the Beefalo inching closer...) 

In an ideal world i think this update shouldve been released with a (and i hate to use the word at this point) mini rework to Wormwood, the character with an exclusive crafting tab called 'Green Thumb', what better opportunity? Reconsidering a major part of his character. Because in a world where planting seeds is more convenient and available to everyone it feels like Wormwood got 40-50% of the entire point of his character made obsolete. (He still has the most compelling downside of the cast and the ability to make living logs, two things i love (and bramble trap and armor which i like)). 

To wrap it up (and i might be biased :D) i think Wormwood shouldve been the character at the center of this update/the one who 'benefits' the most from it. As things are now that character is most assuredly Warly. Just like Wormwood farming is an integral part of Warly's kit, so he only got better. The same cannot be said for Wormwood.

3 hours ago, thegreatJash said:

He should be able to grow giant crops easier.

Realistically I don't expect any of my ideas to be implemented of course. With the beta forcing klei to take a closer look at wormwood Im hopeful his rework is coming closer than expected. I wanted to brainstorm what was possible. A lot of people seem to think his place is to be support and only support so I felt he would be one of the very last characters to get a rework. 

Ideally compost (from compost bin) will replace nitre in the compost wrap recipe with a faster healing animation. The more powerful growth formula could give him a temporary stage 3 bloom. His husk could require bindweed instead of bone and attack on proximity like his traps. Maybe with the added downside that it hurts others without the husk and will only activate with wormwood (and use durability). Because everyone in their reworks is getting battle advantages, why not wormwood?

1 hour ago, HowlVoid said:

The more powerful growth formula could give him a temporary stage 3 bloom

One of my top 3 wishes tbh! i was really miffed when i found out the new ferts/compost had no particular effect on Wormwood, most of them only healed him for 1 even iirc. 

4 minutes ago, Picklesaurus said:

Genuine question: aren't reworks/refreshes a thing for the old cast only?

yeah thats what i thought too but who knows. The new farming invalidates a big part of Wormwood's current design. We'll have to wait and see the scope of the changes they want to make to him 

3 minutes ago, Picklesaurus said:

Genuine question: aren't reworks/refreshes a thing for the old cast only?

Well... Not sure. Technically he is old cast. Similarly to how webber/wigfrid are from ROG, warly is from shipwrecked, Wormwood is from hamlet. Warly has gotten lots of mini reworks as well so he may not get one. While wormwood has been mostly unchanged. Also keep in mind Winona got a rework almost right out of the box.

I also hope wormwood gets some changes to keep him up with the other charactes. Also, once klei is done with the refreshes, it would be nice if they made a final batch of  small tweaks to characters that are clearly underperforming, not so enjoyable to play as or frequently swaped for another.

Not all characters are created equal, but that doesn't mean there should be a huge gab between what they can do or that they should purposely be made to be stronger/weaker than others.
I see so much potential on wormwood, wes, wurt and other less played characters.

Archived