Will the new farming system give non-farmers a reason to start one?

Just a basic question. I don't know what the goal of the new farming system is. My only question is that is it compelling enough to make non-farmers want to start their own farms? Does it affect the holy trinity of monster meat + cactus/lichen + birb cage?

What would be needed for the new system to be worth it to players who get by without farms?

They are trying to rework the whole farming system, which i think is a good idea as it was kind of useless, and probably the right approach to the problem.

But the way it is now, it's just not worth it any more than it was imo. Despite the best meat farm being nerfed, there are still way better options than farms, mostly any other food option looks better. I think nerfing other food sources is not the solution tho. They would need to nerf kelp, stone fruit, honey, lureplants etc.

The way to make it more worth it is to get more veggies per seed i guess, but there could be better options; i see farms fitting as an early food source, i think they should at least be worth it in early game.

The new system is definitely gonna make me pick up farming, which I rarely bothered with before cause of how tedious and inconsistent it was.

The great thing about the new farms is that its designed to reward effort rather than punish neglect.

With a single one of those farm makey thingamabobs, you can make 4 soil tiles. That's enough to plant at least 36 seeds, if not more.

After that, you can leave the crops completely unattended and you'll still get 1 crop and 1 seed in 7 days per seed planted, provided the crops are in season. If they are not, you'll only get 1 crop or 1 seed.

So in the end, the new farms are massively cheaper and provide a very consistent output, even if they are slower. And the slowness is hardly an issue for me, since getting a consistently large harvest every 7 days (even in winter) is pretty good, especially compared to my previous "no farms at all" setup. :P

Last but not least, you can automate crop maintenance to a very large extent, which means getting oversized crops will be fairly easy once you're settled in.

I think the new farming, although somewhat "better" than the old one, it still less efficient and very time consuming than pretty much any other food source, and nerfing everything else to force players to farm would be stupid (please don't do it ..., nerfing the bunnys is bad enough).

So it may be nice to test it out, but I don't see it as "sticking around" and becoming mainstream. Same as the Wigfrid rework, not worth the hassle and its just better to keep on doing things as before. But at least the new farms look nice, there are even people using the new farms as carpet lol.

Still, thanks to Klei for consistently giving us new content (y), that is one of the reasons I've been addicted to the DS franchise since I got DS on PS4 in 2014.

8 minutes ago, QuartzBeam said:

everything quartzbeam said + farming is now very much a valid playstyle option for your major food source if you wish to play that way. and is that not what dst is about? multiple solutions for the same problem. you can still hunt, forage etc if that is what u prefer. But farming for specific corps undeniably got so much better and faster, you no longer have to throw away 66% of ur crop down a bird's gullet. People who hold on to the notion that they're ineffective or time consuming have not yet understood the new system fully. 

The question now is what to do with all ur bountiful harvest. im thinking vegetables dishes should be made more competitive with meat dishes and/or new recipes should be added to give more incentive to farm for specific crops. Warly will no doubt immensely enjoy this new way of farming because he can use specific crops the best. 

as it stands now there are very few dishes that require specific farm crops. I think every single crop should have their own specific dish like the Dragon Pie and asparagus soup. so crops arent just seen as fillers. I want a 150 hunger dish requiring a pumpkin, call it stuffed pumpkin. 

With warly will be less tedious and maybe i will starr using them with wurt (atleast im building them because looks amazing)

As other said, kelp and stone fruit are a so strong fount of veggies but it could be usefull to farm healings without need to cook (potatoes, pomegranade and eggplant restore 20hp)

2 hours ago, Ohan said:

snip

There are already dishes for specific crops, although they are very mediocre or require Warly, so either Klei could add brand new recipies for every crop or buff the existing ones.

If morsel and three ice can fill half of your hunger bar then I don't see why stuffed eggplant couldn't do the same.

1 hour ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

i will start using them with wurt

I think Wurt is a winner on this update, her king mass produces seeds just by making/letting your army die and giving the fish to the king.

She now can (and should) have a large farming area to plant all those seeds. Wurt obtains more food out of every vegetable so even if she pays no attention to them, its still good food for herself and her team. And if she does tend the crops, it will be far more profitable.

Suggestion: Merms given a straw hat can be assigned to help you to automatically tend the crops. A small bonus that would be fitting, I guess. -"I check plant. Plant is good. Happy plant now"

About OP's question: I'd give it a try specially as Warly, see if it's more convenient or not. Warly's main downside was always the farming, so with a different system he could fare a lot better (or a lot worse, we'll see)

24 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

I think Wurt is a winner on this update, her king mass produces seeds just by making/letting your army die and giving the fish to the king.

She now can (and should) have a large farming area to plant all those seeds. Wurt obtains more food out of every vegetable so even if she pays no attention to them, its still good food for herself and her team. And if she does tend the crops, it will be far more profitable.

Suggestion: Merms given a straw hat can be assigned to help you to automatically tend the crops. A small bonus that would be fitting, I guess. -"I check plant. Plant is good. Happy plant now"

About OP's question: I'd give it a try specially as Warly, see if it's more convenient or not. Warly's main downside was always the farming, so with a different system he could fare a lot better (or a lot worse, we'll see)

yep, im planing to farm pomegranades or tomatoes so in that way i can forget about killing butterflies

but i only see it useful for sanity and healing, for hunger kelp, stone fruit and jam still better imo

4 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

yep, im planing to farm pomegranades or tomatoes so in that way i can forget about killing butterflies

but i only see it useful for sanity and healing, for hunger kelp, stone fruit and jam still better imo

I agree. Although if you manage to have a steady supply of pumpkins, durians, or specially dragonfruit, it could be more convenient to carry around on a bundle. I mean, a bundle of dragonpies and dried kelp, has all your needs covered.

Just now, ShadowDuelist said:

I agree. Although if you manage to have a steady supply of pumpkins, durians, or specially dragonfruit, it could be more convenient to carry around on a bundle. I mean, a bundle of dragonpies and dried kelp, has all your needs covered.

yep, since i only have regular seeds (i didnt planned to do farms with wurt so i let rot all the special seeds :( ) i will experiment of how fun and efficient is. Maybe i will end eating corn or pupkings because the mechanic is lovely for the moment xD

I haven't seen to many people complaining about the "tending to every plant individually" yet.
But just incase anyone reading this has that opinion. 
you are able to automatically tend crops with shell bells (and other items like one-man-band, beef horn, and pan flute, but those have durability)
All you need to do is put one shell bell in the middle of every tile, and then you just need to walk through your farm once per growing stage!

Spoiler

unknown.png
It does have a limited range as seen here, the corner crops dont get effected by it. But its a good tip to know!

This definitely makes farming for better crops a whole lot easier.
And I will make sure to have a few tiles of farm plots on my hermit island bases from now on 

Archived