[Game Update] Testers Wanted! - Cloud Saves Preview - 439714

• Developer

Hey everyone!

More technical stuff as part of this update: We've just upgraded our version of the Unity engine to the next major version. This should not create any noticeable change on your end, but if there are issues they're probably going to happen on specific people's computers. The preview branch should be quite stable at this point, so we'd really appreciate if anyone who can would hop on the preview branch and report any surprises. Thank you so much!

• Upgraded to Unity 2019.4.14
  • Fixed a bunch more UI anim scaling issues, especially when resolution changes
  • Cloud Save text on load screen is now localizable
  • Fixed typo in the in-game patch notes
  • Reports screen no longer crashes when hovering domestic critter tooltip
  • Fix power networks from sometimes becoming overloaded when they are exactly at their power limit
  • Fix petroleum generators from getting stuck if they're supplied with mixed fuels, now they seamlessly change over
  • Oil Well now dumps and takes damage from incorrect liquids, rather than storing them and getting blocked
  • Oil Well now has better logic to keep it from getting stuck pumping if something goes wrong with it
  • Fix solid tiles being destroyed/displaced by the previous partial melting fix

View full update

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

18 minutes ago, Ipsquiggle said:

Fix petroleum generators from getting stuck if they're supplied with mixed fuels, now they seamlessly change over

very ultra super good!)

1 minute ago, Beowulfe said:

Will hop on and check it out after work tomorrow! :D

time to use stronger blackmail. Only after the announcement of the DLC!))

35 minutes ago, Ipsquiggle said:

Hey everyone!

More technical stuff as part of this update: We've just upgraded our version of the Unity engine to the next major version. This should not create any noticeable change on your end, but if there are issues they're probably going to happen on specific people's computers. The preview branch should be quite stable at this point, so we'd really appreciate if anyone who can would hop on the preview branch and report any surprises. Thank you so much!

Here's what I get on Linux

Screenshot_20201112_213752.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ipsquiggle said:
  • Oil Well now dumps and takes damage from incorrect liquids, rather than storing them and getting blocked
  • Oil Well now has better logic to keep it from getting stuck pumping if something goes wrong with it
  • Fix solid tiles being destroyed/displaced by the previous partial melting fix

Only more technical stuff ? Are you kidding ?

And what about this ? Those changes are priceless !! Thanks ! Bug solving is so good.

Edited by OxCD
  • Like 3

On 11/12/2020 at 2:24 PM, Beowulfe said:

Will hop on and check it out after work tomorrow! :D

EDIT: Whoops, I missed that there was a new update thread - this post WAS on yesterday's (newest) update, I'll cross-post there for developer visibility.

Gave it a shot today - ran into an error during conversion (using the "convert all to cloud" button). Error message is included below (attached screenshot #1)!

To clarify the situation, I had an old backup (copy-paste) of my Greenworld colony in the same save folder as the primary saves, and the backup save was named Greenworld (1).sav. It looks like the conversion to colony-centric saves split Greenworld (1).sav off into it's own colony, but tried to keep that separate colony using the Greenworld name, which ended up with me having two separate colonies in the list named Greenworld (even though they were the same one, just one was a very early backup). It then threw an error when it tried to create the directory for the second one, as it had already created one for the actual, original Greenworld.

I closed that error and all of them showed as Cloud saves despite the error, and clicking the button again didn't do anything. There were no errors in the Steam uploading process after I closed the game, and it looks like all of the saves are still there, separated into their own colonies, and marked as Cloud after restarting the game, so perhaps it succeeded but just threw an error on directory creation and didn't error out of the entire process.

I did some further investigating, and it looks like the Greenworld (1) save is now located in the same folder as the primary (newer) Greenworld saves even though they're separated out into different colonies. So far it hasn't caused any issues, but I suspect there could be some conflicts between auto saves or primary saves if the file names conflict, which could be very bad for someone down the line (see screenshot #2 for folder structure showing this). If I was to load the oooold backup Greenworld, for instance, it might start overwriting the autosaves in my other Greenworld colony.

So, I suspect the fault lies in the original Colony save separation rather than the Cloud upload process - Greenworld (1).sav was considered a unique colony, even though it had the same name as another one. That works for me, I actually have no problem with it being split out, but it shouldn't have an identical name. It's likely good to do some verification on duplicate colony names to ensure there isn't filename conflicts when transferring saves to new folders, and either ask the user to rename one colony or automatically rename one with a postfix when doing the transition.

If there's any other info I can get you, I'm happy to help! Other than this conflict, everything looks great on my end, both colonies loaded successfully and everything in game looks like it's running great (though I'm running on a Windows machine, so I got to avoid the errors discussed above). :)

ONI Cloud Upload.png

ONI Cloud Upload 2.png

Edited by Beowulfe

11 minutes ago, Smife said:

It's probably obvious to most of you, but I still want to know. What does engine upgrade mean for ONI? Will it run better or smth?

traditionally added problems with mods)) nothing more ))