Wind energy generator

Hello,

I don't know why there isn't a wind energy generator in the game. I can think of much interesting uses of it. I didn't find a mod for this - seems to be difficult for modders to do. It could just remember the gas movement in it's environment in the last x seconds, maybe the density of the gases, take the average and generate energy from it!

Thank you,

Thilo

Wind is predominantly a planetary phenomenon. In ONI, the only 'wind' you will see is from gas pressures equalizing; certainly not for any long or regular periods of time.

Now, I suppose that one could make a channel from a gas vent to space and put a 'wind turbine' or something in the channel and extract energy from the movement to space, but there are far better uses for that than energy.

Also, remember that since you are in space, solar energy is much more reliable than wind would ever be even on a planet.

There are also other scenarios than natural wind thinkable. Recently I made a sour gas generator that releases sour gas to a vacuum. There is much gas transfer happening. It's always happening if a gas is going from high pressure to low pressure.

1 hour ago, Thilo87 said:

There are also other scenarios than natural wind thinkable. Recently I made a sour gas generator that releases sour gas to a vacuum. There is much gas transfer happening. It's always happening if a gas is going from high pressure to low pressure.

Why would you release sour gas to a vacuum? That's an absurd waste.

I can already think of two exploits that would need to be resolved:

1) Using gasses near condensation point. Assuming a well insulated system, I could transfer 10,000 g/s of gas for 240W, using one liquid pump. I could also implement using Escher waterfall and transfer more liquid at no cost. This gives you nearly unlimited power by just raising/lowering the temperature of the element a few degrees.

2) Using doors or liquids to compress the gas. One could operate a series of doors at no power cost and create a vacuum and repressurize a source room. Again generating unlimited power at no cost.

21 hours ago, yoakenashi said:

1) Using gasses near condensation point. Assuming a well insulated system, I could transfer 10,000 g/s of gas for 240W, using one liquid pump. I could also implement using Escher waterfall and transfer more liquid at no cost. This gives you nearly unlimited power by just raising/lowering the temperature of the element a few degrees.

What stops you in reality from doing this? Escher waterfall is not possible, of course. I guess it's the non-perfect insulation and/or the power costs for a gas/liquid pump. Escher waterfalls are an exploit, anyway ;) In the other case the wind generator has to output as much energy as the liquid/gas pump uses.

21 hours ago, yoakenashi said:

2) Using doors or liquids to compress the gas. One could operate a series of doors at no power cost and create a vacuum and repressurize a source room. Again generating unlimited power at no cost.

This is also already an exploit. In reality you cannot fully close an enclosured door if there is gas or liquid in it, without finally creating a black hole (I guess, I am not a physician). Well, they should fix that. The door should just not be able to (fully) close in this case.

On 11/1/2020 at 11:09 AM, Thilo87 said:

Hello,

I don't know why there isn't a wind energy generator in the game. I can think of much interesting uses of it. I didn't find a mod for this - seems to be difficult for modders to do. It could just remember the gas movement in it's environment in the last x seconds, maybe the density of the gases, take the average and generate energy from it!

Thank you,

Thilo

As far as I know there is no pressure map overview in the game. Please someone correct me if I`m wrong ? :afro:

I would find a pressure overlay map view really good. As example I have steam cells starting at 20kg/cell and somewhere else being at 500kg/cell. I would find it great if we could activate a pressure map overlay ( like with temperature and all the other screens ).

A wind turbine, as power generator, would work with my style of game play, as I can have big pressure differences in my large rooms + I would welcome it strongly. Perhaps having the name "Pressure Generator".

There is a current thread about planets/asteroids with an atmosphere, so a wind generator could fit in to such an idea world.

Archived