[Game Update] Cloud Saves Now In Preview - 437482

22 minutes ago, melquiades said:

I could not care less about cloud .

had to agree with you. in some cases cloud is good like save backup but other than that not see point at all.

i think developers waste time for adding that. unless if they learning the cloud stuff for them self.

i have could sync app in my pc what can sync any folder what i select. i just don't see point off this feature in game atm

Edited by gabberworld

10 minutes ago, gabberworld said:

i think developers waste time for adding that. unless if they learning the cloud stuff for them self.

You're not the only person playing the game, and it was a heavily requested feature. Even if some people like you and I won't touch it.

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, Cairath said:

You're not the only person playing the game, and it was a heavily requested feature. Even if some people like you and I won't touch it.

everyone have also own opinion, you don't need protect here anyone they work for money

Edited by gabberworld

3 hours ago, Cairath said:

I quite like that feature. It removes the need to do my own backups for the saves. 

4 hours ago, gabberworld said:

everyone have also own opinion, you don't need protect here anyone they work for money

Definitely nothing wrong with having an opinion, but I just wanted to respond to the comment about them working for money.

Even if the work is something they're getting paid for, that doesn't mean they don't care about the work. Game development requires a lot of investment and energy, especially on a project that's been in development for a long time. It's easy to stop caring about a project and just put in the hours after years of development.

That being said, Klei (as a whole and as individuals) has proven to me time and time again that they genuinely care about their products and community. That's incredibly rare these days, and I have a lot of respect for them because of it.

When you care about a project, how people respond to the work you put in can have a big impact on morale and enthusiasm for future work - so don't look at it as "they get paid, no need to say anything positive". There's nothing wrong with speaking out when a change causes issues, makes the game worse, or breaks things - in fact, it's important we do - but also keep in mind that the developers are human and have put a lot of time and effort into updates for us.

Even if it doesn't directly impact how you play the game, if an update improves the game for others (and doesn't negatively impact it for you), it's still a positive change, and they deserve at least some respect for putting in the time to put out a free update to improve quality of life for the player base as a whole.

Anyways, my TL;DR is - for a company that respects it's products and player base more than any other I've seen, remember that they're working for more than just money, and that they're human. They show us respect, and they deserve a level of respect in kind. :)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

my point is there is already programs for that , if im not mistaken then even windows 10 its in build, called oneDrive

im self using years now the Megasync cloud, can easily auto sync any folder what i select including game save folder

Edited by gabberworld

4 hours ago, Cairath said:

That's the point - maaaany people requested it. I absolutely despise cloud saves and will disable them first thing, but I won't say that it's a waste of time on the devs' part just because *I* won't use it. 

That stance is entirely fine with me. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, gabberworld said:

my point is there is already programs for that , if im not mistaken then even windows 10 its in build, called oneDrive

im self using years now the Megasync cloud, can easily auto sync any folder what i select including game save folder

Unfortunately, you have to strike a balance. I get what you're saying. Totally. Unfortunately people don't have a collective memory, and mistakes are made over and over. Cloud saves don't belong to games, much like audio comms didn't. Remember when every multiuser game was adding its own version of voice comms, in game? Then teamspeak and discord happened, and modern games don't have that feature anymore (or at least nobody cares about it). Bloating games with unrequired features is bound to happen again and again.

If a huge number of people demand for a feature to be added to a game, where it does not belong, what should a game developer such as Klei do? Live with the fact that every review out there states as #1 fact that ONI is missing cloud saves? Industry is market driven, you can't simply ignore a demand for something, even if - from a technical point of view - it's a bad idea. Klei is a company, they exist to make money, not to make a point about what belongs to a game and what doesn't.

2 minutes ago, TheMule said:

Klei is a company, they exist to make money, not to make a point about what belongs to a game and what doesn't.

yes if there is demand then its needed add. but like i tell before everyone have also own opinion, if there was no opinion then Hitler would still lead the world with stalin

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, TheMule said:

Cloud saves don't belong to games, much like audio comms didn't.

First, these are STEAM cloud saves, not ONI cloud saves. Second, I disagree. This is your opinion, I do not share it. I like cloud saves in games, because I play on different computers and because I like backups.

• Like 1

On 10/30/2020 at 5:16 AM, Ipsquiggle said:

Optimizations

• Batch symbol override assignments to avoid call overhead, saves 2-3% of frametime
  • Remove duplicate entries in Offsets, saves 1-2% of frame in fetch cost calculations
  • Push back sort order for Assignable-related chore preconditions, saves 5-6% frametime
  • Replace ArrayRefs in ScenePartitioner with HashSet for 5% frametime savings
  • Small optimization to Symbol Override system ~.5% frametime by removing unnecessary data copying
  • Small optimizations to Symbol Override system ~2% of frametime by changing the way we look up symbols and removing some debugging
  • Facegraph optimization, saves about 1.5% frametime on Dupe stress test
  • Optimized the way Dupes think about toilets. Saves about 4% of frametime for colonies with many Dupes
  • Further optimizations to toilet selection. Can have huge benefits for large numbers of Dupes and toilets: ~20% of the frame on a Dupe stress-test colony

It is so cooooooool ,I Love Optimization 

This is:

1.) a feature already implemented.
2.) a feature that probably didn't take that long to implement all things considered.
3.) a feature that at I can see a lot of users using.

Seems like an easy win for Klei. Don't have to want or need the feature personally to appreciate the win for ONI fans :) 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gurgel said:

First, these are STEAM cloud saves, not ONI cloud saves. Second, I disagree. This is your opinion, I do not share it. I like cloud saves in games, because I play on different computers and because I like backups.

Two things that can be done externally. Cloud saves do not belong to Steam either. In the future more and more people get used to having more than one computer and enjoy that idea of backups and using cloud services becomes the standard. There will be a call for games and Steam to "integrate" with these platforms, meaning let them do their job.

And course this is my opinion, I guess time will tell. 

2 hours ago, TheMule said:

Two things that can be done externally. Cloud saves do not belong to Steam either. In the future more and more people get used to having more than one computer and enjoy that idea of backups and using cloud services becomes the standard. There will be a call for games and Steam to "integrate" with these platforms, meaning let them do their job.

And course this is my opinion, I guess time will tell. 

You are forgetting that an average player has issues finding directory with game log file, yet alone linking directories to be synced. For now that stuff is handled by gaming platforms and that probably will not change any soon.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Cairath said:

You are forgetting that an average player has issues finding directory with game log file, yet alone linking directories to be synced. For now that stuff is handled by gaming platforms and that probably will not change any soon.

average player not even think for make backups really. they open game, enjoy the play and close game

You are forgetting that an average player has issues finding directory

Absolutely. The IT skill of the average person is not going up - things being made more intuitive does come at a cost.

average player not even think for make backups really

Right. Until they want to use a second computer (laptop + travel?), or upgrade a computer, or something goes wrong and they're mad they lost their favorite base of all time, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc. Gotta look past the stuff that you or I think useful. Especially if it's an easy win for the company.

1 minute ago, Cairath said:

But they do indeed enjoy their saves being synced, hence many wanted cloud saving.

could save is good if you quit play and years later you want play again. as its backup then you can continue play . but for users who play this everyday it's not really usefull because they are just a backups nothing else

1 hour ago, Cairath said:

Well, I am not average, but I have a different issue that STEAM solves: How to prevent any cloud storage from messing up the saves, saving at the wrong time, saving the wrong files, saving files it should _not_ save, etc. 

Sure, I _can_ do all this manually. I even have my own "cloud" to do it (3 cheap Linux VMs with plenty of storage and one local Linux fileserver with 3-way RAID1), but somehow I cannot be bothered and the developers of a specific game should know what works, while I would have to experiment.

Hence while I do agree this will eventually becomes something every user can do for themselves and a game may just provide some meta-data how to properly use cloud-saves for it, at this time this is still all experimental and will remain so for years and maybe decades to come. I mean, major cloud provides still have longer outages (Apple apparently at the moment...), which is a strong indicator that this tech is not stable or reliable or really well understood at this time. Regarding the tech history, the time from a successful demo to a reliable and dependable device/service is 30...50 years and computer stuff is _not_ faster.

• Sanity 1

38 minutes ago, spkthed said:

Absolutely. The IT skill of the average person is not going up - things being made more intuitive does come at a cost.

Right. Until they want to use a second computer (laptop + travel?), or upgrade a computer, or something goes wrong and they're mad they lost their favorite base of all time, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc. Gotta look past the stuff that you or I think useful. Especially if it's an easy win for the company.

yeah for that cloud is good too, but really if you buy modern pc you really not need upgrade this atleast 5 years, unless you geek and must need get every new hardware right away

as im developer self i could just use cmd script what uploads game save folder with ftp to any other location and totally forget the so called cloud. 

Edited by gabberworld