[Game Update] Cloud Saves Now In Preview - 437482

1 hour ago, Gurgel said:

Regarding the tech history, the time from a successful demo to a reliable and dependable device/service is 30...50 years

It really depends. 20 years ago the idea that high-end graphics belonged to a remote computing platform more that your local GPU sounded absurd. Now it makes sense to play online. It took way less that 20 years to go from sci-fi to reality.
Could services are a reality today, at least for enterprises. It's not not something that is 100% commodity. That's what One Drive was supposed to be.

1 hour ago, Gurgel said:

every user can do for themselves and a game may just provide some meta-data how to properly use cloud-saves for it,

Not necessarily. All it takes is a better integration at OS level. It happened the same with firewalls. Not long ago it was something for tech-savy guys only, today the OS (at least on Windows, and to some extents on Linux) provides an API for applications to make authorization requests.
I can imagine similar requests can be made by applications to access could volumes, possibly restricted to a specific path/directory. If done properly, the cloud service would generate an API key of sort, which can even saved in the online profile of the game and later used in other PC or platforms, even remote ones. I'll be a standard OS feature, and I don't think we need to wait 30 years.

16 minutes ago, TheMule said:

20 years ago

i think you mean 30 year ago because 20 years ago i already played gpu games.

this is first gpu what i used build own pc https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce4-ti-4400.c180

before that i had something else but because off bad power supply it burn down

Edited by gabberworld

3 hours ago, TheMule said:

It really depends. 20 years ago the idea that high-end graphics belonged to a remote computing platform more that your local GPU sounded absurd. Now it makes sense to play online. It took way less that 20 years to go from sci-fi to reality.
Could services are a reality today, at least for enterprises. It's not not something that is 100% commodity. That's what One Drive was supposed to be.

Sure, these things are being done. But they are neither reliable nor dependable. The time-frame for _that_ is 30...50 years. 

7 hours ago, gabberworld said:

i think you mean 30 year ago because 20 years ago i already played gpu games.

this is first gpu what i used build own pc https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce4-ti-4400.c180

before that i had something else but because off bad power supply it burn down

Streaming? On a remote GPU?

Edit: 20 years ago nobody could think of something like GeForce NOW. At least not available to the public at commodity price.

4 hours ago, Gurgel said:

Sure, these things are being done. But they are neither reliable nor dependable. The time-frame for _that_ is 30...50 years. 

Or maybe 2-3 years from now.
Maybe I'm biased, I was using diskless workstations back in the '90s when the bandwidth was less than 10Mbit/s for a LAN. I see not big technical impediments to have large portions of your disk synced on cloud even today, other than poor integration with the OS GUI. And that can be fixed.

Enterprises are moving to clouds exactly for better reliability. At least, on paper. I'm not saying I believe that, I'm saying that part of my job, today, is to help them do that, on their request. Many companies consider private datacenters a thing of the past, and if they're going to have one (usually for legal reasons) they want to hear the words hybrid cloud.
Cloud computing not only is a thing of today, it's the thing. It's just not end user commodity, yet.

Edited by TheMule

1 hour ago, Emeal said:

So what are Cloudsaves anyway?

it saves your game files to the Server. if you uninstall, lose or use some other pc, you can continue at there where you stopped play in last time. basically same like online games todo this days

Edited by gabberworld

7 hours ago, TheMule said:

Or maybe 2-3 years from now.

Forget it. Computer tech and services vendors are always vastly over-promising reliability and dependability. Phone companies had reached 99.999% uptime (before mobile phones). When "the cloud" is there, I will consider it reliable. 

1 hour ago, mi3f said:

Thanks for the cloudsaves.  Might not be useful for everyone but I appreciate the effort to flush out and add new features continually.  So thanks.  :)

Me too. I am daily moving between 2 places, so it is nice to have that option now instead of constantly using an usb stick.

• Like 1