Need a fast ONi PC for XMAS ? Recommendation

12 minutes ago, babba said:

Intel is totally screwed :lol:

I hope Nvidia also gets further beating, to get their sky high prices down.

imagine now what may happen when they screw intel. if intel goes bankrupt then amd will be only one what starts sell cpus what also means they can increase price how they like

3 minutes ago, gabberworld said:

imagine now what may happen when they screw intel. if intel goes bankrupt then amd will be only one what starts sell cpus what also means they can increase price how they like

I'm sure Intel won't go down without a fight. They still have a lot of money in their coffers, but this will force them to get their heads out of their asses and make something with more than 3% IPC increases for a new generation

Its a shame there is not more relevant actors in the market.

CPU/GPU business has become terrible complex, with a company often holding hundreds or thousands of patents.

I hope China develops their own powerful CPU`s in the next 20 years, as they can ignore existing patents - AMD started as a cloner.

It will take long time and the whole world may change entirely in the meanwhile.

The worst for customers would be if Intel, AMD or Nvidia die someday or if another big merger gets approved.

Just now, babba said:

CPU/GPU business has become terrible complex, with a company often holding hundreds or thousands of patents.

I hope China develops their own powerful CPU`s in the next 20 years, as they can ignore existing patents.

It will take long time and the whole world may change entirely in the meanwhile.

The worst for customers would be if Intel, AMD or Nvidia die someday or if another big merger gets approved.

China already has a new CPU manufacturer entering the game. Their CPUs aren't fast yet, but they've been developing with the interest of not relying on US technology.

See these two makers

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhaoxin

https://www.notebookcheck.net/New-Chinese-CPU-maker-Phytium-to-release-7-nm-and-5nm-server-CPUs-along-with-14-nm-processors-for-desktop-and-embedded-markets.482800.0.html#:~:text=Phytium currently specializes in server,nm desktop and embedded CPUs.

AMD probably is now pretty close to the maximum this tech can deliver (single core). I doubt a factor of 2 will be possible to get in the next few decades. That allows other actors to catch up and that is always good for consumers, i.e. us. 

I also expect that other architectures will catch up, mobile phones are pushing that a lot.

It is definitely a very good thing that Intel finally lost that speed crown. Although I was pretty happy with ONI on my FX8350. FPS were a lot lower than Intel, but things were well playable down to 20 FPS. Hence I think AMD has actually delivered pretty good tech all along, the market is just too focused on pure FPS. But those AMD has now as well. 

1 hour ago, Gurgel said:

AMD probably is now pretty close to the maximum this tech can deliver (single core). I doubt a factor of 2 will be possible to get in the next few decades. That allows other actors to catch up and that is always good for consumers, i.e. us. 

I also expect that other architectures will catch up, mobile phones are pushing that a lot.

It is definitely a very good thing that Intel finally lost that speed crown. Although I was pretty happy with ONI on my FX8350. FPS were a lot lower than Intel, but things were well playable down to 20 FPS. Hence I think AMD has actually delivered pretty good tech all along, the market is just too focused on pure FPS. But those AMD has now as well. 

They still have 3 more CPUs at least coming out on Ryzen 5 architecture with higher skus that haven't been benchmarked yet

3 hours ago, babba said:

I hope China develops their own powerful CPU`s in the next 20 years, as they can ignore existing patents - AMD started as a cloner.

If they want to sell CPUs in the US or Europe, they cant just ignore patents. If they do, they get banned from the markets, and you cant legally buy it, not to mention the motherboards. And no major motherboard manufacturer will even support this CPUs. 

But they do not need to ignore patents. They have a x86 license from VIA tech. And AMD will most certainly provide them with the 64bit license. They do license ryzen tech to china already as far as i know. For everything else, they just have to come up with different approaches to solve things, and bypass existing patents. The CPU will work different internally but they will do the job.

28 minutes ago, SharraShimada said:

If they want to sell CPUs in the US or Europe, they cant just ignore patents. If they do, they get banned from the markets, and you cant legally buy it, not to mention the motherboards. And no major motherboard manufacturer will even support this CPUs. 

Alternatively, this stupidity about patenting interfaces will eventually go away. A CPU instruction set is really just an interface, after all. The high interest in the free-to-use Risk-V is an indicator that quite a bit of the industry is tired of architectures monopolized by a few companies.

Once I came close to an Apple store. Whoooo. Nah, stick to your promise to never put a foot in to one. The old love hate came up.

I was happy when Billy gave Apple some bucks in around 2000 to save it from another bankruptcy. What have you become Apple ? For me Apple is like propriety country.

Apple, Tesla and John Deer Tractors - Waaaaaaaaah !

Its like the Google Adwords Team making billions - Would only need the original 20 people to run and make the same $billions, instead they employed thousands more and now the Adwords interface is totally overloaded with functions, clunky and bad for customers. Every employee wants to add a bit here and there, now its like a big pile of Regolith :D

Same with Gmail, 99% of rubbish added over the years ``

A fresh face on the GPU block would be great, just a driver and not all that other software stuff. Nvidia is the one for the other software stuff, a fresh GPU brute force speed master. That would be great.

Card in, true SLI with up to 16 cards, crypto farm support, just a display driver, card(s) supporting up to 32 screens. Double the speed of Nvidia at half the cost...Ryzen Style :x

@JoeW

Can we please have a CPU Monument in the game ? That would be so nice :angel:

Perhaps only possible to build it out of ice, if it gets too hot it melts...Or out of stone and it has a Hydrogen in/out connector <> The cpu monument needs Hydrogen at -100 Celsius going through, otherwise it doesn`t give decor bonus of 1000 within 18 tiles. Perhaps also give it a 1000 Watt power requirement. It could also be a socket which needs to be built out of ceramic and the players needs to build the cpu in the chip factory. The monument cpu chip needs to be manufacturer out of all available refined metals in the game :idea:

Also a little wafer fab would be awesome, or 20 dupes in a row restamping/rebranding chips for "Soundblasters" -> Upgrade for the ingame Ghettoblaster :afro:

I made a CPU Monument demo design sketch for the monument idea, if you can make it in ONi style ?

image.png.41170cda110e83a7f5cedb8cf2023b65.png

The merger of ONi & Cyrix = Onyx :anonymous:

image.png.0cd867a6d3fb26a9cca4b223d7522980.png

Mhhhhh Hardware jummmiieeee ! Munch munch munch

image.thumb.png.e72cbb7cf0b814c037e2dab6f0660ead.png

image.thumb.png.de63b2016f6e29d9b156a3e9d91a65e5.png

22 minutes ago, nakomaru said:

The only way a Ryzen 5 beats an I9 in single thread: Samples: 1   Margin for error: High

Be careful of online scams, kids.

i suppose they mainly look the price as really you can buy 2 cpus with same price like 1 intel cpu. now imagine if you have 2 cpu motherboard. with that price you basically have 2x more powerful pc than with intel can give you

ONI scales exactly as in the passmark comparison link, I have used a variety of the CPU`s myself.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
vs
Intel Core i9-10900K @ 3.70GHz

https://www.cpu-monkey.com/en/compare_cpu-amd_ryzen_5_5600x-1750-vs-intel_core_i9_10900k-1139

image.thumb.png.21dd34da998deb455870adcf49be25b0.png

Enough said on the topic,

wishing a nice Sunday. :p

-------------

21 hours ago, nakomaru said:

The only way a Ryzen 5 beats an I9 in single thread: Samples: 1   Margin for error: High

Be careful of online scams, kids.

New Nr.1: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X

6.8% ( 3.693/3.456 ### 5950X [16core] vs 5600X [6core] ) more ONi performance for ~250% more monies, but non the less AMD is kicking up the cpu market.
More great AMD cpu stuff to come in the next 1-3 years ! Pull your socks up Intel...

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  -> Nr.2 for small monies, a real rocker :beaten:

Specs:

https://www.cpu-monkey.com/en/compare_cpu-amd_ryzen_9_5950x-1749-vs-amd_ryzen_5_5600x-1750

I`m looking forward to perhaps praise Intel again in 3-6 years.

2 hours ago, babba said:

I`m looking forward to perhaps praise Intel again in 3-6 years.

I think they will take much longer. They still have to accept that they are now 2nd-rate. That alone will take a few years. Then they will have to accept that their own fabs cannot cut it anymore. They were their only real advantage before. Add a few more years. And then they have to throw away their current trashy and insecure architecture and do something new. Remember how Intel never managed to get x86 to 64 bits (they had to license what AMD did)? remember how they were years late in getting the memory controller into the CPU? By the time Intel finally catches up, the AMD64 architecture may not even be very relevant anymore.

Only question for me now is whether I want to upgrade my 3700X to a 5950X or 5900X. 29%/27% more wold be noticeable.

I found that the worst thing with Intel in the last 20 years where dubious reasons to constantly require different main boards, in combo with launching thousands of slightly different cpu versions and subtypes ( with slightly modified pins, pin amounts or pin voltage changes ). This resulted in something like 100-1000 million unnecessary produced main-boards, most boards only used for a few years and then landed on the trash, with Intel cashing in licence fee`s for those produced boards ( via assembled onboard chips and the allowance to mention the Intel name in customer manuals, in mainboard software and for manufacturers being allowed to share technical information with Intel ).

We will see if AMD changes to such methods in the future, in the last 20 years it was possible to use AMD boards long time, compared to Intel, and there was much more technical compatibility with AMD cpus.

It can clearly be said that Apple and Intel win the environment trash awards.

Intel got very used to only slightly provide more calculation power to customers, in combo with the above mentioned it was relaxed sofa times for Intel. "Oh, another cpu which has 0.3% effective more calculation output?...Oh, the launch price is usd$999 ? Oooh, we need a new board for that too because you added one more pin again. Ohhh, board at launch for your new socket starting at $300 ? Thank you Intel ! "

Thanks also for 20 years of creating 100 names for the same cpu with constantly changing name schemes, we are sure that was only in the best interest for your customers. They probably have a handful of employed staff just pumping out model names and running the "Intel catalog of cpu name creation". :?

End of rant :mrgreen: ...Booting up ONi ( on Intel `` ...for now...not long ...goodbye Intel ).

Welcome new speed increases and real competition ! More ( ONi ) speed for everyone at affordable prices.

This is only the beginning of change, not even talking of multi core use !

image.thumb.png.1ddc8c2fa070dd703fbd62886ecab22a.png

ONi FPS performance scales after the single thread performer list - I had lots of the listed cpu`s myself running with ONi and tons of other games.

image.png.a0e6a826a2bcd69ace463609a6e3b125.png

image.thumb.png.d86403452cd4d209e5c94e46c7705458.png

Public users have now started submitting Ry5 5600X benchmarks with the passmark software, hence the slight drop in performance. Of course still an amazing top performer, especially at that launch price tag.

image.thumb.png.34b27a3ff7db746fcca1b773f9bbbded.png

Multicore - Desktop Comparison

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/desktop.html

...Sometimes I think of using Hydrogen at home with cpu`s, but the stuff is too much hassle. Maybe someday...Better stick with Hydro use in the ONi game, its cheaper and no messing with heavy bottles :lol:

The mainboard mess with Intel is the reason I have been using AMD CPUs for a long time. The last Intel one I bought was a 386sx, I think. Never had any reason to regret sticking with AMD. Even the FX8350 I was using until a year ago or so never had too little power for gaming, despite all the reviews implying otherwise.

Archived