Don’t Starve Together: The Sales Pitch

I want to make a thread that’s a little different from most everything I’ve ever posted here, instead of gameplay tips or content suggestions this thread is “The Sales Pitch”

Which is to say: How would YOU convince your friends, your family, your co-workers, mildly known acquaintances, or even complete strangers into buying DST?

What would you tell or show them to get THEM to want to invest their time & money into pick up this charming little game?

Lately I’ve been telling everyone that it is a Multi-Player open world sandbox survival crafting game & it only costs 15$, there are no In-Game Microtransactions, Anything in the game with the exception of a few Funko PoP or Klei Store proof of purchase & limited time event skins can be earned for free over time, All of that content is purely Cosmetic Only and does not offer any form of Pay to Win Advantages, And until the Klei announces otherwise- It gets at least ONE completely Free Monthly content update to always give players something new to look forward to no matter how big or how small that update is.. it’s always Free.

I also tell them that the only profit the company makes off the game past the 15$ purchase cost is if YOU decide to buy show them some love and pick up some nice skins from their In-game shop, something you don’t HAVE to do to obtain the newest skins because they can still be earned 100% for free overtime.

Then I will usually link them to These pages-

https://www.klei.com/games/dont-starve-together

And even though I barely use or have any friends on my Facebook, I even posted it here.. 
https://m.facebook.com/Michael.23.Ua/posts/10214804966396492

I do NOT send them to Twitch Streams, or Fan played YouTube channels because the content provided on there may not be representative of the actual game showcasing only Official game content that’s a core part of the gameplay experience and those Streams & Channels could potentially be running lots of Unofficial Mod Content (which can just be utterly confusing for someone brand new trying to get into the game.)

So there you have it- My sales pitch, but my sales pitch does not seem to work on enough of people.. :(  

So how would YOU convince people to take a chance on this incredible game?

Me: Hey chummy champ, wanna see a dope-@ss cartoon-y game? It got bipedal pigs that beat each other in the face after you bribe them to do so! And giant ducks being mushed by frog rains!

Friend: WTF?!

Me: Yeah, fun times. You like that weird Tim Burton's movies, Lovecraft and satire, doncha?! It's like that, but with more starvin'. And kicking the bucket from silly stuff, you'll love it! Oh, and Insanity is a game mechanic, Shadow Monsters will come to scream you lullabies and make you kick the bucket some more. Also night kills you without light but that's just a small detail..

Friend: I don't know...

Me: Come see, here's a link to it *inserts link* And what do you know: IS ON DISCOUNT! Dirty cheap!

Friend: Now we're talking!

See? I can even sell you a looted dead AG, I'll only need to slap a discount on it to oil the buyer's remorse gear! :mrgreen:

12 hours ago, TheGoldenDonut_ said:

Say it's the best survival game there is.

More like: It was a nice survival game until the developers got inspired by a famous streamer who was playing SimCity on DST and so they started removing the survival aspect from the game just to improve the base building.

27 minutes ago, Viktor234 said:

More like: It was a nice survival game until the developers got inspired by a famous streamer who was playing SimCity on DST and so they started removing the survival aspect from the game just to improve the base building.

not only base building but more optional raid bosses than a mmorpg

meanwhile winter can be survived by a single item...

Almost forgot to mention, the Celestial Orb is a good example for a single object which ruined alot of the survival aspect in DST:

It's a crafting station for an item which restores all your stats and allows you to change your abilities & penalties. All you need is 1x Moon Rock + 1x Purple Gem to get rid of your health penalties, to get a few free items, to make Touch Stones useable again, and to completly restore your stats.
But it also acts like a global map marker players are forced to use, i.e. you can't hide it and everyone is able to move it. It is soo attractive towards players, everyone tends to follow the orb while ignoring any kind of hazards. If it's not located in the bae, then players will just pick it up and move it around until it's located in the bae. If it's located in the bae, then players will just head straight to the bae where they can make oneself at home, being safe against all the hazards in the world, and get bored later on because they don't have any tasks left to do.

3 minutes ago, Viktor234 said:

Almost forgot to mention, the Celestial Orb is a good example for a single object which ruined alot of the survival aspect in DST:

It's a crafting station for an item which restores all your stats and allows you to change your abilities & penalties. All you need is 1x Moon Rock + 1x Purple Gem to get rid of your health penalties, to get a few free items, to make Touch Stones useable again, and to completly restore your stats.
But it also acts like a global map marker players are forced to use, i.e. you can't hide it and everyone is able to move it. It is soo attractive towards players, everyone tends to follow the orb while ignoring any kind of hazards. If it's not located in the bae, then players will just pick it up and move it around until it's located in the bae. If it's located in the bae, then players will just head straight to the bae where they can make oneself at home, being safe against all the hazards in the world, and get bored later on because they don't have any tasks left to do.

now that is a valid concern

and yes im pretty sure everyone agrees the round meteor should be on the island.

Those are some weird sales pitches, but okay- I have legit seen worse sales pitches from shady dudes trying to sell me a suspicious looking car.

You guys know you CAN turn Celestial Orb off though right? It doesn’t HAVE to spawn- and having said that... new sales pitch!

Customization!! Tons of Customization, from world settings to make the game literally play as easy or as hard as you personally want it to be, to character clothing and personal belongings, to truly make each character have its own unique look, DST has enough customization options to make your mouth water wanting more! Bored of the same old boring default gameplay? Why not mix things up by hosting worlds made of permanent Darkness and then laughing as the friends you invite in die in short fashion against these new challenges! Queen Charlie herself would be pleased with your deceptiveness towards your own friends, Oh who is Queen Charlie you ask? She is currently the one in charge of all the strings- toying with you and your pals like puppets on a string.. and just when you think the world your trapped in might be becoming a peaceful place to live within, She brings a chunk of the moon crashing down introducing terrifying Zombified Penguins and Hounds- Giving you a slight hint that your peaceful Utopia you think your living in isn’t all that it seems.. No one knows what Charlie’s plans are but with each exciting (& still completely free update) we inch ever so closer towards learning the Truth!

Interested in giving it a shot now? ;) 

13 minutes ago, Well-met said:

oh really

how?

Turn off meteor fields and meteor showers under world Gen settings.

Yes you lose a decent source of resupply on rocks.. But you can turn Forest Petrification up to fast- Which in turn will turn trees to stone version faster as a compromise for lack of Meteor shower & meteor fields.

5 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Turn off meteor fields and meteor showers under world Gen settings.

Yes you lose a decent source of resupply on rocks.. But you can turn Forest Petrification up to fast- Which in turn will turn trees to stone version faster as a compromise for lack of Meteor shower & meteor fields.

well for starters you can't change the settings when joining Klei servers.

and second, trading the orb for fields is not a good trade off at all.

and finally, I like crafting moon walls.

19 minutes ago, Charlie Dark said:

This feels like an entirely different thread, now...

See, I have no problem with that because a game forum is generally meant for talking to and discussing things about the game with other people, and as long as those conversations are sensible, not insulting and at least started off on topic but brought about other discussions derived from the topic- Then that should be okay.. as long as said conversation EVENTUALLY gets back on topic, it shouldn’t spiral into 50 pages of debates.. but if something like say for example When are Them returning brings about a discussion of Who Them even are? which then in turn becomes a Minespatch drawn Meme of a gramophone reading “The Eternal Horrible Music”

Technically... ALL of that is off topic, but it started out ON Topic. And it’s funny as Heck.. so why remove it? Good ideas can be inspired by things like that.

And like I said as long as the original Op of the topic doesn’t end up lost in some 50 pages long heated argument.. what harm can it do?

That said- Sales pitch ideas!!! I need to get more of my friends to take a chance on picking up this game.

Archived