What is your game plan when playing Wurt?

36 minutes ago, kNichael said:

I kind of need your help right now. I recently passed winter and right now I'm at the beginning of spring. My main accomplishments that I have done so far are the following:

1)Found the Lunar Island.

2)Planted 20+ stonefruit saplings.

3)Killed Deerclops and got the walking cane.

4)Made the royal tapestry and made a merm king.

5)I have made about 6-8 merm houses near my base.

6)Planted 20+ bull kelp near my base.

My goal right now is to get materials to make 20 merm flort-ifications to fight Bee Queen and then prepare to rush the ruins for summer. First off I want to ask if these two are good goals, and if so, I need some help with fighting the Bee Queen (if 20 merm guards are enough or do I need more, and do I need to equip them with some sort of armor?). If there are more important tasks to do I would really appreciate you guys telling me, if it isn't much of a bother to you. Thank you for the help so far and have a wonderful day!

they are good task. Bundle wraps will be useful for the ruins

with 20 is enough if you participate too. You can bring them some beekeeper hats or another kind of head protection to be sure

if is your 1st time against her make sure to bring a lot of healings and armor. Its hard to kite her until you are more confortable with her behavoir

dont forget to build a lighting rod and an iceflingomatic in case of rain or hound waves

edit: if you will use mer guards mean that you have already a king, feed him before the fight to be stronger

4 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

they are good task. Bundle wraps will be useful for the ruins

with 20 is enough if you participate too. You can bring them some beekeeper hats or another kind of head protection to be sure

if is your 1st time against her make sure to bring a lot of healings and armor. Its hard to kite her until you are more confortable with her behavoir

dont forget to build a lighting rod and an iceflingomatic in case of rain or hound waves

edit: if you will use mer guards mean that you have already a king, feed him before the fight to be stronger

I really appreciate your help here, but the problem is that I don't have any heals at all currently. The only healing source I was using was the Tent and that is practically it, but I guess 10 trail mixes won't be that hard to gather. Oh, also, do I have to focus on the Bee Queen or are the merms gonna do good enough so I can just kill the grumble bees?

38 minutes ago, camelot said:

For me, it's the same as most of other characters: Go to cave, smash all rabbit hutches before winter and then go build your base

I hate this so much, but the fact that rabbits regenerate after a single day, drop meat and vegetables and kill themselves for you makes this the best strat.

Nothing super revolutionary but;

Swamp isn't perfect for a long-term base, but it comes in handy during first few seasons.

Get to the lunar island ASAP to get both Stone Bushes and Bulk Kelps. Plant them around the shore near base.

Merm King is afterthought, i only spawn him when either i am ready to survive and thrive or i want buff for a boss fight.

Set the pig houses near a merm populated area for Pigskin farm.

2 hours ago, ryvrdrgn14 said:

I hate this so much, but the fact that rabbits regenerate after a single day, drop meat and vegetables and kill themselves for you makes this the best strat.

I mean, you could always "challenge" yourself to not use them, and feel accomplished afterwards.

Spoiler

I put the quotation marks there, cause it still isn't exactly that big of a challenge

2 hours ago, kNichael said:

I really appreciate your help here, but the problem is that I don't have any heals at all currently. The only healing source I was using was the Tent and that is practically it, but I guess 10 trail mixes won't be that hard to gather. Oh, also, do I have to focus on the Bee Queen or are the merms gonna do good enough so I can just kill the grumble bees?

focus on her, if the grumble bees agro you, run to change aggro or kill the ones that focus you. You are the most dps thing fighting her and she will spawn bees non stop 

About healing, the early you start learning and getting better at gather healing food the best for your resources. Try to bring more than 10 trail mix (later on, when you learn well the fight, the number will be reduced) and you can mix them with other kind of healings like honey poultice

In the 3rd and 4th phase she will scream and the bees will follow and atack fast the aggroed entities, run and count arround 5, the bees will be tired and you can come back to the fight. Repeat it for every scream

Alright so I have ran into 2 major problems that I currently need help with:

1)I still didn't gather enough materials for the 20 merm florts, so I will continue this project in autumn, BUT I have made a creative world and tested it with 20 merm guards and it worked like a charm (the BQ died in minutes and I only used around 6 trailmixes and no armor for the merms).

2)I have less than 5 days to prepare for the ruins in summer, and I don't know the necessary gear and materials for the ruins and what is the most viable strategy to rush them.

Thank you, have a good day, and thank you so much for the help so far, I really appreciate it.

Unlike most players I don't do the lunar island rush+explore the full map

my first goal is to find the swamp biome (after all, home is where the swamp is)

Ideally, within the swamp, it's preferable to base next to a pre-existing merm house so you can immediately use them for free labor cutting trees/mining rocks. You only need to walk up to a forest, swing your axe once and then they'll deforest while you pick up the goods. It also only costs a single seed to recruit them for a decent length of time. They're also free protection against any of the swamps dangers as well as hounds and frog rains. Being in the swamp is for me, the main highlight to playing wurt (and why you'd even pick this character), you get all that movespeed and she's intended by design to be swamp basing which is a very contrarian playstyle from playing other survivors.

At the swamp, you follow standard base design: find gold rocks, make science, firepit, get a shovel, shovel up grass/sticks/berry bushes and bring some pinecones (since the swamp naturally has no good trees), crockpot, fridge if possible (otherwise just use a chest), do what you need to do the fertilize the plants (for me it's to use the berries you get from shovelling to feed to a werepig for immediate poop). Also because I'm in the swamp reeds come in real quick (especially with that movespeed bonus), so a super early bird cage is definitely a go.

being in the swamp, the natural conflicts that arise between the tentacles, spiders, and merms (and also mosquitos), will accumulate a large supply of silk, spider glands, tentacle spikes, mosquito sacks (for healing), and also lots and lots of monster meat. The meat obviously gets converted to eggs so you can do 3 egg+berry/veg for either jams or ratatouille which effectively become your "veggieballs". You'll also get fishes (and frog legs which are egg fodder) to drop from any merms that die which can be used to craft even more merm houses. The wood needed for boards is actually very easy to access with how easy it is to recruit merms for woodcutting. Also the abundance of silk means making a bug net so you can get a butterfly farm (or a honey bee farm) is also incredibly easy.

for winter food supply, by the time you've gotten to that season you've probably gotten a ton of silk passively so you may as well craft a few sails and gather some kelp from the waters. Usually though, if you've got like 10-20 berry bushes shovelled, fertilized and just sitting there ready to harvest for winter, you have more than enough to make jam to feed you for all of winter. If you are super desperate for veggies, you could run over to the desert or head to the caves for rabbitmen carrots or mushtrees. At that point the rest of the game is kind of do what you like.

Usually my goal is to get several screens worth of crafts merms houses and also a merm king (which quite surprisingly, I managed to both create and sustain during the winter using just berry bushes and eggs.

6 hours ago, kNichael said:

Alright so I have ran into 2 major problems that I currently need help with:

1)I still didn't gather enough materials for the 20 merm florts, so I will continue this project in autumn, BUT I have made a creative world and tested it with 20 merm guards and it worked like a charm (the BQ died in minutes and I only used around 6 trailmixes and no armor for the merms).

2)I have less than 5 days to prepare for the ruins in summer, and I don't know the necessary gear and materials for the ruins and what is the most viable strategy to rush them.

Thank you, have a good day, and thank you so much for the help so far, I really appreciate it.

dont worry about time. Its a sand box, you dont need to rush everything in one year like pros, take your time to learn to be more efficient every day. Also you can make a cave base and keep preparing there and, when ready you scout the ruins. If you need to go back you will be more safe if there is a base with supplies near

For ruins depends on how much you wanna fight but make sure you bring gold for pick axes, a hammer, a stack of grass and twigs, light sources (highly recommended moggles) armor and weapon (recommended hambats or, if you have plenty of living logs, dark swords) and materials to do more (like pig skin for helmets, wood for armor or papyrus for night armor). For healings you can use blue caps

Imo, and more being a new experience, try to avoid fighting against clockworks, there is a lot of loot and you dont need to clean the entire ruins in one trip. Focus on mining statues for thulecite and gems and hammering broken clockworks for more gems, wires and gears if needed

you can also practise with other worlds making rushes without worry about die to learn the world gen patrons and be more confidence walkign in such dangerous place. 

Make sure you are good at fighting terrorbeaks, down there you will have to fight with many at the time

another thing are monkeys, be so careful with the nightmere cycle, is not worth being chased by monkeys if you can wait them to be normal

an ice staff can help a lot fighting multiple bishop at the same time, pan flaute works too but has less uses and its more expensive

as a little tip, prebuilt a chest so you can let in your pseudoscience station the gems and thulecite that you dont need at the moment so earthquakes dont broke them

But remember, this game has a rogelite component, dont expect it to be easy or clear. Dont give up is something bad happens, just keep practising

also glad to read that you will not need that much for fighting bq, didnt remember how strong are merm guards

7 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

dont worry about time. Its a sand box, you dont need to rush everything in one year like pros, take your time to learn to be more efficient every day. Also you can make a cave base and keep preparing there and, when ready you scout the ruins. If you need to go back you will be more safe if there is a base with supplies near

For ruins depends on how much you wanna fight but make sure you bring gold for pick axes, a hammer, a stack of grass and twigs, light sources (highly recommended moggles) armor and weapon (recommended hambats or, if you have plenty of living logs, dark swords) and materials to do more (like pig skin for helmets, wood for armor or papyrus for night armor). For healings you can use blue caps

Imo, and more being a new experience, try to avoid fighting against clockworks, there is a lot of loot and you dont need to clean the entire ruins in one trip. Focus on mining statues for thulecite and gems and hammering broken clockworks for more gems, wires and gears if needed

you can also practise with other worlds making rushes without worry about die to learn the world gen patrons and be more confidence walkign in such dangerous place. 

Make sure you are good at fighting terrorbeaks, down there you will have to fight with many at the time

another thing are monkeys, be so careful with the nightmere cycle, is not worth being chased by monkeys if you can wait them to be normal

an ice staff can help a lot fighting multiple bishop at the same time, pan flaute works too but has less uses and its more expensive

as a little tip, prebuilt a chest so you can let in your pseudoscience station the gems and thulecite that you dont need at the moment so earthquakes dont broke them

But remember, this game has a rogelite component, dont expect it to be easy or clear. Dont give up is something bad happens, just keep practising

also glad to read that you will not need that much for fighting bq, didnt remember how strong are merm guards

This isn't new to me, I have rushed the ruins before but I did them with WX, and it is much different and easier rushing them with WX than Wurt, so I have to get different gear. Keeping my gems in the chest is a very good idea since my problem before was not having enough inventory space going back up, because the gems were taking space, so this is good. I'm thinking about bringing some living logs down with me to craft something like a deconstruction staff but I don't know if it is that important, so you tell me please. I'm really interested to see how you rush the ruins.

Thanks again, I do mean it.

So first i do basic stuff as i do with any other character gathering resources and such, then i look for swamp as my base, then, i look for a place that doesn't have **** ton of ponds (mosquito's spawn), tentacles, spider spawn and such, then i start making an actual base (placing fridge, crock pots, alchemy engine etc.) when i do these i start making DIY royalty kit. craft merm house next to it (i do it so if merm king dies, the merm can immediately take place for the next king, i gather beefalo wool (by killing befaalos or shaving them) some pig skin, then in winter i do basic stuff, killing mac tusk and co. for the tusk and tam 'o' shanter, killing deerclops (like really basic stuff) and then in spring i rush the lunar island i take the stone fruit bushes and kelps for the king when i have the king i start spamming with merm guards' huts and then i expand it

i make jam (using berries from my berry bushes and eggs) and in later game if i have stone fruit bushes i use them to feed merm king and hire merms as for healing i use healing salves (they strong perks is that they are fairly cheap and they doesn't spoil) and butter muffins if i have some butterflies :P

1 hour ago, kNichael said:

This isn't new to me, I have rushed the ruins before but I did them with WX, and it is much different and easier rushing them with WX than Wurt, so I have to get different gear. Keeping my gems in the chest is a very good idea since my problem before was not having enough inventory space going back up, because the gems were taking space, so this is good. I'm thinking about bringing some living logs down with me to craft something like a deconstruction staff but I don't know if it is that important, so you tell me please. I'm really interested to see how you rush the ruins.

Thanks again, I do mean it.

Well instead of gears you will be eating mushrooms but you will know what to expect there

Bring living logs for sure, star caller staff and deconstruc staff are so useful

14 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

Well instead of gears you will be eating mushrooms but you will know what to expect there

Bring living logs for sure, star caller staff and deconstruc staff are so useful

Alright, gotcha.

Ok so I have ran into ANOTHER problem, although this one might not be too big. In the summer all I was able to do was kill the ancient guardian and get some thulecite, 2 green gems, around 6-7 red gems, around 8 purple gems, 2 orange gems and 1 yellow gem. Now I have like 3 days of summer left and I had to run back and get one more stack of mushrooms, because I did a little goof when cheesing the guardian because a stupid terrobeak spawned and it destroyed my armor, so I had to use pretty much all my mushrooms. What I'm worried about is if I should continue to do the ruins or head back up, because I'm scared that Bearger might show up very early on (I don't know when Bearger spawns and I don't want him to destroy my base).

1 minute ago, kNichael said:

Ok so I have ran into ANOTHER problem, although this one might not be too big. In the summer all I was able to do was kill the ancient guardian and get some thulecite, 2 green gems, around 6-7 red gems, around 8 purple gems, 2 orange gems and 1 yellow gem. Now I have like 3 days of summer left and I had to run back and get one more stack of mushrooms, because I did a little goof when cheesing the guardian because a stupid terrobeak spawned and it destroyed my armor, so I had to use pretty much all my mushrooms. What I'm worried about is if I should continue to do the ruins or head back up, because I'm scared that Bearger might show up very early on (I don't know when Bearger spawns and I don't want him to destroy my base).

bearger will not spawn if there is not players in the surface

you can stay if you want

On 10/18/2020 at 10:48 PM, JazzyGames said:

In my current Wurt world I rushed the ruins in first Autumn. For that trip I lived off of carrots, lichen, and blue caps. Once I got back up to the surface I had plenty of unpicked carrots and berries from starter biomes to keep me going for a while. I also picked a lot of cactus in first Winter since they grow back and I wanted to top off my sanity for boss fights. In Spring I believe I knew enough of the map to sail to Lunar Island for the kelp and stone fruit. If I hadn't rushed the ruins tho, I probably would have tried for lunar in first Autumn. Those two food sources are so good for Wurt and both grow in the Winter.

I see a lot of good responses already but let me know if you have any other specific questions that haven't been answered.

EDIT: Regarding the early-game healing food. I think I did mostly blue caps for healing, but I also carried healing salves on me. Once I got a berry bush farm going then trail mix became important, and since BQ went down I mostly use jellybeans. Honey is also pretty good for healing, which is why I'll wait to eat until I take some damage, then I can slam like 5-10 honey to recover.

Kinda interesting the use of blue caps to heal but i want to add a good info here: Autumn is the best season to gather nuts since u chop tall bitchnut trees drop 2 of them. Trail Mix is super good to heal and the spoil rate is super slow. Yeah, sure, u need some cookpots but the kitchen is like one of the first stuff u need to build anyway so for Wurt this recipe is a master piece :V

17 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

bearger will not spawn if there is not players in the surface

you can stay if you want

Alright I have done it. I just want to ask a question. Do your mods work right now, cause mine don't, or at most don't work properly.

47 minutes ago, kNichael said:

Alright I have done it. I just want to ask a question. Do your mods work right now, cause mine don't, or at most don't work properly.

i cant help you with that, i only use few client mods and are working well. Depending of the mod you may need to wait until the creator updates it

also a hotfix seems to be coming to fix some mods problems due to the new save system. Could be that what is happening to you

17 hours ago, MrSoratori said:

Kinda interesting the use of blue caps to heal but i want to add a good info here: Autumn is the best season to gather nuts since u chop tall bitchnut trees drop 2 of them. Trail Mix is super good to heal and the spoil rate is super slow. Yeah, sure, u need some cookpots but the kitchen is like one of the first stuff u need to build anyway so for Wurt this recipe is a master piece :V

Trail mix is cool for boss fights; I made a fair amount for first BQ. For me though, nothing really beats the convenience of blue caps. Plus in a ruins rush I'm probably not gonna make a crock pot, so it's nice to just swoop up a stack of blue caps on my way in.

3 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

i cant help you with that, i only use few client mods and are working well. Depending of the mod you may need to wait until the creator updates it

also a hotfix seems to be coming to fix some mods problems due to the new save system. Could be that what is happening to you

For some mods, yes. Looks like it is fixed now for some mods. Now the only problem is that I don't know what day I am because it doesn't show the right day I survived. It says that I have survived 88 days, but when I hover over it says 89.

Okay so with all that stuff out of the way, let's talk a little Wurt, if it isn't bothering you ofc since I see you've helped me a lot in this topic and all I can say is MASSIVE respect and big thanks to you my man. I have killed the bee queen very easily, killed dragonfly and now I have 2 days left till winter. My main goal this winter is to beat Klaus, but I know that there are some farms or other things to do as well, so I'm asking you for it.

EDIT: I have wasted about 12 days trying to find the deers and still no deers. Any ways to track them down?

1 hour ago, kNichael said:

For some mods, yes. Looks like it is fixed now for some mods. Now the only problem is that I don't know what day I am because it doesn't show the right day I survived. It says that I have survived 88 days, but when I hover over it says 89.

Okay so with all that stuff out of the way, let's talk a little Wurt, if it isn't bothering you ofc since I see you've helped me a lot in this topic and all I can say is MASSIVE respect and big thanks to you my man. I have killed the bee queen very easily, killed dragonfly and now I have 2 days left till winter. My main goal this winter is to beat Klaus, but I know that there are some farms or other things to do as well, so I'm asking you for it.

EDIT: I have wasted about 12 days trying to find the deers and still no deers. Any ways to track them down?

deers spanw mosaic biome and decidious forest (sometimes you can have 2 decidious forest) but the roam so they can be found in the next biome to these. Klaus is always recommended but you dont have to kill it if you prefer to do other stuff

about what to do, as i told you, is a sand box, do whatever you like. About farms for wurt, idk, with stone fruit+kelp you are more than ok. You can also mess with dragonpie fruits or bunnymans or gobblers farms (berries and gobbles for eggs) but that is part of the sandbox component. Farm the food as you prefer. Some players do autofarms others no

You can do pig skin farms or silk farms (merms work well with this) or moon rock farms too

Jazzygames has a good amount of hours of gameplay in his wurt world with many kind of farms

dont worry i like to help

20 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

deers spanw mosaic biome and decidious forest (sometimes you can have 2 decidious forest) but the roam so they can be found in the next biome to these. Klaus is always recommended but you dont have to kill it if you prefer to do other stuff

about what to do, as i told you, is a sand box, do whatever you like. About farms for wurt, idk, with stone fruit+kelp you are more than ok. You can also mess with dragonpie fruits or bunnymans or gobblers farms (berries and gobbles for eggs) but that is part of the sandbox component. Farm the food as you prefer. Some players do autofarms others no

You can do pig skin farms or silk farms (merms work well with this) or moon rock farms too

Jazzygames has a good amount of hours of gameplay in his wurt world with many kind of farms

dont worry i like to help

At this point I just want to kill all the bosses since I can feel such a sudden feeling of accomplishment (thanks to you and the community ofc), so I'm very confident I can kill him. Farms wouldn't do anything for me right now, but I still want to make them because aside from prepping for ancient fuelweaver, I don't have many goals so making some farms would just help give my world some contrast.

Thank you again for your help, I really don't know what I could do without your help :D.

EDIT: Okay I have explored the biomes near the mosaic and dicidous forest, didn't find any deer. And also looks like the game wants to troll me cuz I can't find chester anywhere. Is this because I was sleeping in a tent then I left? The goto command doesn't even work.

On top of everything people pointed out, I just have a mini-tip regarding stone fruit farming:

Befriend 2-3 merms and let them "mine" the fruit stacks for you, they will eat a couple fruits but you are not gonna need all of them anyway. 

Other thing i don't see players doing is removing the swamp turf once you have built merm structures (this is subjective, since swamp turf is kinda "meh" looking). So you carry 1 swamp tile and you can plant houses wherever you want, then you pitchfork it back. 

Archived