Jump to content

Wigfrid's Animated Short is Amazing!


Recommended Posts

Separate from the way Wigfrid was changed in the game itself, which is a different conversation entirely and not the point of this thread, I just really love her animated short. Everything about it is beautifully done and very clever.

The animation, the music, and all of the detail everywhere is great. Wigfrid's motivation is set up very clearly, and it's very believable that she would accept Maxwell's offer. In addition to just being awesome to watch, the fantasy fight sequence perfectly illustrates how playing the character "Wigfrid" makes her feel great, and you can see why she misses it so much.

Every moment of Maxwell is perfectly dark and gave me chills, from the slow clap, to seeing the font he uses to speak again after all this time, to the newspapers that made Wigfrid so unhappy turning into a shadow of him. And that sly smile when he calls her "pal." I don't think we've seen Maxwell actually speak to any of the people he kidnapped other than Wilson so far, so I was delighted to see more of him being the crafty, charismatic puppet master that we all first saw him as.

So, I just wanted to say how much I freaking loved that video. Amazing work, Klei, quite possibly your best animated short yet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

it also did a lot of the heavy lifting to explain why she seems more in the thrall of the constant than the others and some of the suspicious things she says that make it seem like she isn't as convinced she is a true valkyrie as she asks(haha). knowing now that she's aware of the farce and still going all-in on it adds a lot to her character without having to do anything to change her character

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Honestly I think everything about this rework was stellar. If it's not broken, don't fix it. The short was amazing, not only did it give us some crucial insight into Wigfrid and her past, but it also felt like pure Don't Starve... something right out of 2013. And that's perfect on its own. The next update being called Forgotten Knowledge makes me excited to see if this trend will continue. From what it looks like, Klei's got reworks down now. Wigfrid is pretty much the same character. Rework... doesn't even truly apply here. And that's good! Everyone was worried that Wigfrid would be ruined, but instead she's kept literally exactly as she was, just with a new thing to spice her up and deviate her from Wolfgang.
Sure, the mechanic may have a few flaws, but we've been through this song and dance time and time before. A patch or two and then we're perfect. 
Thank you Klei

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Really disliked the fight scene, instead of staying in theme, or doing something interesting with the animation by maybe replicating some historical art, Klei chose some overly cartoonish ridiculous style instead.

People seem to be happy to see flashing colors it seems, regardless of how fitting or interesting it is.

 

Everything else was perfect.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Scrimbles said:

Really disliked the fight scene, instead of staying in theme, or doing something interesting with the animation by maybe replicating some historical art, Klei chose some overly cartoonish ridiculous style instead.

People seem to be happy to see flashing colors it seems, regardless of how fitting or interesting it is.

unknown.png?width=227&height=270

you sure about that?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Scrimbles I think the point of the art style shift for the fight scene was to represent how Wigfrid felt while playing the character. Playing that operatic valkyrie made her feel like an epic animé warrior, which is why she cared enough about getting to play Wigfrid again that she readily accepted a deal from a mysterious shadow that magically appeared in her house. It may have also been representing how good she was at playing that role, that when she was on stage, that's how much she lit it up. Whatever it is, I think it meant something, rather than just being pretty colors and a flashy action sequence. Doesn't mean you have to like it, of course, but perhaps interpreting it that way might make it less distasteful to you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, kiwikenobi said:

@Scrimbles I think the point of the art style shift for the fight scene was to represent how Wigfrid felt while playing the character. Playing that operatic valkyrie made her feel like an epic animé warrior, which is why she cared enough about getting to play Wigfrid again that she readily accepted a deal from a mysterious shadow that magically appeared in her house. It may have also been representing how good she was at playing that role, that when she was on stage, that's how much she lit it up. Whatever it is, I think it meant something, rather than just being pretty colors and a flashy action sequence. Doesn't mean you have to like it, of course, but perhaps interpreting it that way might make it less distasteful to you.

I get the point of it, it's obvious, but I don't think Wigfrid thinks of "cartoonish anime" when playing her character.

She BELIEVES she is a real Valkrie, from their time period, and instead of depicting that, they chose to do something ridiculous.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is definitely one of my favorite shorts klei has made! It established her character perfectly and had a cool Maxwell moment that we haven't had in a while. When he started clapping, I got chills!

The style change was such a cool, unexpected moment.  I love that she imagines herself in this He-Man esque action show style. And it was so well animated, man it just makes me so excited for more!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Scrimbles said:

I get the point of it, it's obvious, but I don't think Wigfrid thinks of "cartoonish anime" when playing her character.

She BELIEVES she is a real Valkrie, from their time period, and instead of depicting that, they chose to do something ridiculous.

a way to show her imagination but yeah, i would prefer another kind of animation than this one and more becase how well is made the other parts of the short

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Bluegeist said:

The style change was such a cool, unexpected moment.  I love that she imagines herself in this He-Man esque action show style. And it was so well animated, man it just makes me so excited for more!!

Still waiting for Klei to release Mutant Mayhem and Bren-dar to Hot Lava with that style.:wilson_ecstatic:

 

8 hours ago, Scrimbles said:

She BELIEVES she is a real Valkrie, from their time period, and instead of depicting that, they chose to do something ridiculous.

Okay so would you rather have one of the employees film themselves cosplaying as Wigfrid with  blue screen environment of a cgi Norse territory?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

×
×
  • Create New...