Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

Haxoonie

Charlie as a playable character?

I think Charlie as a playable character would be great. I mean Maxwell got released from the throne, and is now a playable character right? So what says we can't see Charlie in the same position? I will list some of the reasons I believe she deserves her place on the list of playable characters, and why.

Before I begin, I know some of you are going to disagree with me, but lets keep this civil and on point. If you don't have information to add as to why you like or dislike this idea, then don't bother posting please. If you disagree, please say why, and explain your opinion/s. Thank you.

Lets start with the reason why I have seen people say Charlie as a playable character is bad. For some reason, some people think if Charlie was a playable character, then there would be no darkness monster to kill players. To this I say FALSE. Charlie is not the BIG BAD everyone suspects her of being. There are characters/entities even darker then she, that we have not been introduced to yet. This is easily understood through a little lore research!

First reason I think charlie should be playable is, (and this is my opinion) If you knew her back story before they got pulled into the Codex, You would know that Charlie is a loving and caring person, and it is this reason that I think she don't deserve to be stuck as a dark and menacing character. She needs to be saved and freed from her constant battle with the dark force holding her in the constant.

Second and final reason I think she should be freed and playable is, making Charlie the big bad of the story is going to hinder us from knowing who the real king/queen of the limbo they are all in. This game has a deeper story and DANG!! am I excited to see where it goes!!

One final note. Just to stop the argument that Charlie is the end of the line for the DS/DST story. When you rescue Maxwell at the end he uses words like (THEY) and (THEM) showing him beautiful and scary things, and no he is not talking about Charlies split personality. When they got taken into the constant they never saw each other again, and something or someone was keeping Charlie away from Maxwell while he sat on the throne. It was only when he was released that the darkness showed up to claim the throne. Think of Charlies shadow side as like a demon from a hell-scape. There is never just one demon but many, but there is a ruler, and we have yet to see who or what this thing is. Below I will post a couple pictures showing the multiple entities talked about in the end credits of DS.

If you think I am wrong I invite you to discuss your reason and opinions openly, but please keep anger and toxicity out of it. Thanks again!!

Captors DS.PNG

Beings DS.PNG

Honestly with some lore planning and balance, this could be a great idea! Here are my suggestions:

First, unlocking her should be very hard. Like crab king without an ice staff kind of hard. This should be because if charlie would probably be some kind of secret unlock kind of character. My idea is maybe using the lunar energy to drive the darkness out of her in some kind of final boss fight.

Second, if she was unlocked, she should have an extremely diverse ability, but still not be op (again, this would be a reward for anyone who managed to unlock her). Maybe being able to drain the health of other mobs at the cost of her sanity of smth. She should also have a large downside, such as instantly being hit by "them" after standing in darkness.

Third: L O R E.  Y   E   S

One problem though, if charlie became a playable character, that might make ppl think that that's basically completing the game, which could be bad for future development of the game.

yep thos are my opinions on the suggestion thancc for reading

10 hours ago, Pootis Bird said:

Honestly with some lore planning and balance, this could be a great idea! Here are my suggestions:

First, unlocking her should be very hard. Like crab king without an ice staff kind of hard. This should be because if charlie would probably be some kind of secret unlock kind of character. My idea is maybe using the lunar energy to drive the darkness out of her in some kind of final boss fight.

Second, if she was unlocked, she should have an extremely diverse ability, but still not be op (again, this would be a reward for anyone who managed to unlock her). Maybe being able to drain the health of other mobs at the cost of her sanity of smth. She should also have a large downside, such as instantly being hit by "them" after standing in darkness.

Third: L O R E.  Y   E   S

One problem though, if charlie became a playable character, that might make ppl think that that's basically completing the game, which could be bad for future development of the game.

yep thos are my opinions on the suggestion thancc for reading

Love all of those ideas, and I agree that unlocking her should be very hard. I am sure the devs could come up with something to make it difficult.

As far as people believing Charlie is end game, I mean, if those people cant take the time to watch the short cut scenes, and read what is said in game chats between characters, then who really care if those people think it is the ending? How surprised they will be when there is a new DLC drop, and they are like " Wait!! There was more to the game then I knew?"

Charlie is not the end of the game, nor should she be.

I think it'd be wonderful, They did it with Maxwell in the singleplayer, too... I feel like... nothing is impossible. But there's this really bad paradox... Who would be the night monster? Is her "own" personality even there any more? Is she under the influence of "Them" ? Will we ever reach the throne room to get to see her? So many questions and so little answers! We'll need more lore, first... 

But for now, use this wonderful Charlie mod we've been working on for a looong time, I think it's lovely. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1203081846 and I believe @Toros did an excellent work on her mechanics, it's very well thought and set up! If Klei did ever release Charlie as a playable character surely they'd take inspiration from fan-made mods likes our's. 

Spoiler

Now, how could they really make it work? Maybe they could just... Give her a last name from W? Maybe they could completely remove the night monster in that specific world you unlocked her? So many possibilities!

1 hour ago, Charlie Dark said:

I think it'd be wonderful, They did it with Maxwell in the singleplayer, too... I feel like... nothing is impossible. But there's this really bad paradox... Who would be the night monster? Is her "own" personality even there any more? Is she under the influence of "Them" ? Will we ever reach the throne room to get to see her? So many questions and so little answers! We'll need more lore, first... 

But for now, use this wonderful Charlie mod we've been working on for a looong time, I think it's lovely. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1203081846 and I believe @Toros did an excellent work on her mechanics, it's very well thought and set up! If Klei did ever release Charlie as a playable character surely they'd take inspiration from fan-made mods likes our's. 

Hide contents

Now, how could they really make it work? Maybe they could just... Give her a last name from W? Maybe they could completely remove the night monster in that specific world you unlocked her? So many possibilities!

We could have a situation where the good, and evil parts of her are separated, leaving the darkness monster behind to continue killing survivors who couldn't get into the light fast enough. There are many ways a story, or ending could be developed where we split the two of them apart. Maybe by using moonlight? We could trick the dark side of Charlie into trapping herself out in the moonlight, where it wouldn't kill either of them, but weaken the monster enough so we could pull Charlie out? Once trapped a pretty difficult battle between the darkness and the player/s could begin, sort of how the whole ancient fuel weaver battle was, make it have mechanics that need to be avoided, and phases. As the battle progresses each phase the bond between Charlie and the monster is weakened more and more? These are all things that are fun to talk about, and maybe with our ideas, and discussions, we could give the developers some ideas to use if they chose to go ahead with making Charlie a playable character.

1 hour ago, Haxoonie said:

We could have a situation where the good, and evil parts of her are separated, leaving the darkness monster behind to continue killing survivors who couldn't get into the light fast enough. There are many ways a story, or ending could be developed where we split the two of them apart. Maybe by using moonlight? We could trick the dark side of Charlie into trapping herself out in the moonlight, where it wouldn't kill either of them, but weaken the monster enough so we could pull Charlie out? Once trapped a pretty difficult battle between the darkness and the player/s could begin, sort of how the whole ancient fuel weaver battle was, make it have mechanics that need to be avoided, and phases. As the battle progresses each phase the bond between Charlie and the monster is weakened more and more? These are all things that are fun to talk about, and maybe with our ideas, and discussions, we could give the developers some ideas to use if they chose to go ahead with making Charlie a playable character.

What lovely ideas! If I do say so myself... Just be hopeful!

Uhm, I’m just going to drop this image I still have saved in my photos here-

A6068C8B-C90F-4B0B-835F-0ED278EC7D8E.thumb.png.e07f641ec4b8c53822b4f3163d7110a5.png

PC Players have had playable Charlie for a long time now with the power of Mods.. but for those of us on Console we would like to share in playable Charlie too.

AHEM However- Winona already has a skin set that lets her look close enough to Charlie... so if Charlie WAS added to the game being another boring useless only human character would just make her yet another Winona...

So I would absolutely love it if Charlie could switch between light “human” and dark “Shadow Monster” Stances.. because- She should be Awesome to play as.. not just Winona 2.0

How funny we're talking about this now--THIS happens to be one of my very latest screenshots:

charlieandthebrokenfire.thumb.png.36ac05db397c5fa932a89502cb0ab3c9.png

aka I just recently happened to be playing with that very mod!  Although the first thing you noticed is probably the reason I took the picture in the first place--that she looks awesome in that outfit the weird, glitchy fire. Which is apparently also made of branch-stripped entire tree-trunks.  (I have no idea what caused this; the main mod I was using here that I haven't used in a while was the Desert Enhancement one, so I'm guessing it was that...) 

Oh, and Charlie get attacked by Them INSTANTLY when it goes dark?  HA HA HA HA HA no, silly, she BECOMES one of Them!  As she rightly should!

charlieisthenight.png.52a95f6740cb493ca388a25364807245.png

Just me and my catcoon friend, hangin' out.  In and AS the darkness. As you do.

So, what's the drawback?  Well it hits her sanity pretty hard to do this, as you can see from how low it was in the first picture.  (Fortunately since I chose a desert world, I was surrounded by sanity-giving food that could grow back ALL YEAR LONG, BABY--until the glitches happened and I had to kill the world with fire I mean deletion.)

Also the shadow catcoon with glowy eyes looks kinda badass.  :)

She turns normal again when in the light, and amusingly can still get her fire stolen by...I'm guessing _other_ shadow hands.  (This is where I came up with the running gag of Bob the Intern, a shadow minion who has no idea what he's doing.)  Somewhere around here I have a picture of Charlie calmly watching in (and as) the shadows as hands grab her fire from both sides, with the caption "Oh no, whatever shall I do..."

Now, a Klei-made version of Playable Charlie would probably either not let you just see in the dark for free all the time or make the penalty WAY worse, and would add some other quirks to her gameplay style.  Still, the "Stranger New Powers" mod is a decent place to start.

Edit:  More stuff about the mod that I forgot earlier (spoilered for those who don't care):

Spoiler

1.  When in shadow form, whenever Charlie says anything it comes out as the Grue's HISSSSSSS  <3
2.  THERE ARE CUSTOM SKINS! and they all look amazing.  At the moment I'm using the new nautical one, which makes me think she should be singing about the Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy of Company B.  My other favourite is probably the Gladiator one, 'cos it's just so DEMONIC looking.  And yes, there's a Rose one and yes, you can also look exactly like she does in the "A New Reign" short--the Queen Charlie look.
3.  She takes a massive sanity hit at night no matter if she's in the light or not!
4.  Charlie also "suffers"? from Abigail Syndrome:  Hits weakly at day, harder at dusk and hardest at night.

Her full HP is only 125 and her survival chances are "Grim", despite never having to (truly) worry about darkness.  Huh.

...Notorious

7 hours ago, AlternateMew said:

I have one issue.

Her name does not start with W. This is unacceptable for a Survivor. Her name would require being retconned.

That was broken long ago with the M character being added, that being Maxwell. You could argue that an M is an upside down W but its still not a W. XD

ExCEPT...his _real_ name is William Carter.  So he gets around it via a technicality.

I dunno, maybe Charlie's real name is something like Wilhemina Charlotte and she just liked the nickname Charlie better than Billie...? 
I'm reaching here. But, hey.  We've already got one character using a real name that _isn't actually said in the game anywhere_, a LAST name for another character and a _stage_ name for a third; so perhaps "actually her middle name the whole time" isn't that much of a stretch.

...Notorious

4 hours ago, Haxoonie said:

That was broken long ago with the M character being added, that being Maxwell.

His real name is William Carter. Don't know if that was intended all along or not, but it is now.

All I'm saying is that if we go into 'Play every villain they introduce' territory, She must be given a W name. Maxwell was retconned(?) into being a stage name. Charlie needs it too if she's to be made a player character and I shall not budge on that opinion.

Charlie is.. well *Was* Just Charlie.. human, dull.. boring. Charlie has since then been fighting with her own emotions wigging out between human (light) and Shadow Monster (Dark) forms.. Charlie never set on the throne during a Maxwells Reign- yet she somehow always managed to be the thing that kills us in Darkness.

Theres a lot of mystery to Charlie that hasn’t been revealed, we know she’s Winona’s little sister, we also know she was Maxwells magician assistant old enough to travel by herself, we Also know that unlike Maxwell and Wilson who set on the throne being controlled like puppets having their strings pulled, Charlie is able to move about unbound to the Throne, A 100% Human Charlie as a playable character is already possible through a skin set that makes Winona look close enough to her.

So to warrant Charlie becoming playable- she needs something unique, she needs her “Wicked Shadow Form” to exist inside her human form and.. She should switch between being human, and being Shadow monster triggered by specific things.

My two favorite characters in the game SMITE are Izanami (an undead zombie like girl who deals more damage the closer she gets to dying) OR in Dont Starve Terms- Wendy’s Rework Glass Canon Gameplay that will now be used Elsewhere...

And the Second SMITE Character is HEL  a female who can toggle between light and dark forms, of wanting to HELP or HURT people (sound familiar yet?) In her light form her abilities heal her team mates and protect them, and in her dark form her abilities buff her teams damage and hurts enemies.

(I also find it hilarious that I’m a huge Batman fan.. and HEL seems to be heavily inspired by Two-Face.., or Maybe Two-Face was inspired by the actual HEL.. I don’t know xD)

A 100% human Charlie would be boring- But Glass canon Charlie.. combining gameplay of my two favorite Smite gods (there’s over 100 gods in SMITE it’s impossible for DST to not have similarities to it) A “Human Charlie” that the more damage she took and the closer she got to dying the “less human” she becomes and the more damage she deals to protect herself from dying...

Its HEL & Izanami combined.. And it’s exactly what I want to see if Charlie ever becomes playable. 

With her Wicked Shadow form now being permanently part of who she is..

Enter the W name-

“Wicked Charlie”

I always rather liked the artwork in that.  Also, perhaps there's even a nod to her being chibified, a cute little lampshade nod, in the mod itself:  If you have her examine a tree, she says "I'm used to things being taller than me."  Now, that COULD mean that she was short as a normal human (right there with ya, sista.  5'1" club) OR....it could mean that she just _recently_ got used to feeling short... ;)

As for HEL, is she like her namesake?  'Cos the _original_ Hel (not misspelled), is a half alive, half dead girl...and is often drawn _with her face half normal and half rotting corpse_.  So, YEAH, she _is_ the original Two-Face!  Norse mythology got there way sooner than DC.  XD  She's one of Loki's kids, who are almost all some kind of REALLY screwed up.  (Also he's the _mother_ of one of his kids.  Who is a horse.  With eight legs.  #justshapeshifterthings)

ANYway, back to that mod, they also gave her custom skins to go along with the canon playable characters and they are _gorgeous_.  Rose Charlie is exactly what you'd think, there's Queen Charlie (the way she looks in the "A New Reign" short), her Gladiator look is demonic and _chilling_, and then her new nautical look makes me think of the Andrews Sisters or something. 

Spoiler

I tried to take a screenshot of that in-game, but she blunk* right when I hit the F12 key.

dammitcharlie.png.917a1b9192c158c91b564906498c4db8.png 

Dammit, Charlie!  XD

There was obviously effort put into the artwork part of that mod, is what I'm getting at.

A Klei-made version of her would of course play differently, but in the meantime, that mod's not a bad place to start.

...Notorious

*I'm aware that it's "blinked".  I'm kinda quoting Futurama.  : P