Winona QOL (updated)

Winona's rework was disappointing, and I’m not the only one who think like this, I’m seeing polls about who received the worst rework and Winona is the winner. Woodie and Wendy received a re-rework but not winona. I have little ideas to make Winona a better character to play and not what she is actually, a character who people only change to make catapults and then change the character again because looks like she is the only good thing that have.

First: Make Spotlight better because for now it’s just a waste of resources to make one.

• It can illuminate mobs now but character are first.

• (Pretty please) Make the Spotlight AUTO-SWITCH-OF when is day, dusk, or there isn’t any character or mob in the area, and AUTO-SWITCH-ON in night if there is a mob or character in the area. (In caves they auto switch on when if a mob or character in the area)

• One spotlight for character or mob, to don't waste the energy and because is very silly to use 3 or 4 for only one character.

Why this changes? Spotlights need to work different because we already have fire pits, lanterns, miner hats… even Deck Illuminator works better than spotlights, and all of the then make more light. Make Spotlight an “efficient light” is a great option considering that you need to build the generator too and use only nitre or gems for light. I don't want to put a switch in the generators because I want to improve only the spotlights not the catapults.

Now make Winona a good character to play with (Not only to make catapults):

• She doesn't lose hunger for crafting items.

• She crafts at normal when she is hungry

• She needs half of nitre to fill a generator.

• She needs fewer hits when is using a hammer to smash something.

• She is the only one who can use Trusty tape to fix burnt structures armor, weapon, tools and tent uses (no magical stuff).

And that's all, I don’t think Klei is going to see this but if you like these ideas please help me to help Winona, share and all of this.

Thanks for your time.:love_heart:

UPDATED

I heard you about Winona also needs a downside, then I made one:

• She hates use magic, because dark magic "kidnapped" her sister. She loses sanity when she is wearing magic stuff, or holding one in her hand, (-9/min) per item. Also, she loses twice sanity from magic using items that make all character lose sanity like Bat Bat, Telelocator, lacy deserter, Dark Sword, Night armor, fire staff, ice staff...

Fixing burned with tape make no sense.

It would be better only if she could repair armor, weapon and tools (non magical of course) with tape and then they would be given the "taped" tag. This would restore items to 100% once. 

Her not a downside needs a QOL update also. At 80-100% hunger she would have speed crafting like she does now. At 50-79% hunger her crafting speed would be normal, but this lack of efficiency would cost her -5 sanity per craft. At 0-49% hunger, she would craft slower than normal, and this would depress her to the point of  draining her sanity by -20 per craft. To counter this, fixing things with her trusty tape would give her +5 sanity per taped item.

4 minutes ago, MrZeroLeft said:

I also believe that Winona still not there yet, I really agre with the majority of this post, Winona actually has only structures, that you can't even turn then on or off, as special skill and his downsides are more annoyance than actual downsides.

yeah, unless you have the patience to surround your pults with statues, they're kinda useless. I gotta say though they still manage to annihilate most medium difficulty to kill mobs like deph worms if you spam them

also, the main reason i play winona is the fast crafting. I cannot stand just having to wait 1 second to craft something. Plus her ability to dodge charlie means you can survive multiple nights with a single torch by just quickly equipping then unequipping a torch, waiting for winona to dodge charlie, then repeat.

Here my ideas 

Her generator should buffed also coal generator could be cool. She could craft waggstaff's stuff like telelocator and that ground banger machine. 

But most importantly she must have a nice downside. Without that she is wilson. Not anything else... 

• She is the only one who can use Trusty tape to fix burnt structures armor, weapon, tools and tent uses (no magical stuff).

It's a start, I really like that as a potential perk, a lot of Winona's problem is lacking a real reason to continue PLAYING her once you build her structures.

Not many people actually care about WINONA, they only care about her catapults, that's it. Which is very unfortunate.

It's a start, a lot of Winona's problem is lacking a real reason to continue PLAYING her once you build her structures.

Not many people actually care about WINONA, they only care about her catapults, that's it. Which is very unfortunate.

Winova is my favor, her downside isn't much a problem compares to how op her catapult is. How about:
1. Turning catapult into a pull cart, only usable by Winova, and still require fuel. Buff catapult because only one can be active per Winova. When pulling catapult, maybe slow down her moving speed, unable to use her hand to do anything else. Or make it a mount tank only usable by Winova and give it the ability to switch between full moving speed no shot, or station (can be dismount and can still auto shot), or slow moving speed slow shoting speed. Of course still require fuel, non-Winova can fill the fuel tank but less effective a/o need more time.
2. Make spotlight better.

15 minutes ago, Bullet Ant said:

When pulling catapult, maybe slow down her moving speed, unable to use her hand to do anything else

That would make her even more boring. Afk boss farms as the only way to use her catapults doesnt sounds fun

She needs reasons to be played like what ogre said about the tape or having more gadgets 

24 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

That would make her even more boring. Afk boss farms as the only way to use her catapults doesnt sounds fun

Make catapult a tank seems to be more fun than a pulling cart. As a tank, she can ride it around and shoot, but since her moving speed will be slow down when in shooting mode, micro-management is required to avoid being hit by boss. While she inside the tank, the tank shields her from all damage. The tank has its own life and will break when sustain enough damage. She can dismount the tank, switch it to station autofire (a traditional catapult), and she can run around to lure or attack the boss with her own hand. Since there is only one catapult can be active per Winova, her damage output is nerf in exchange for mobility, and it still requires fuel to run -> discourage Winova from using the tank all the time. This approach open a new playstyle for Winova, revolving around maintain both her and her tank survival as well as maximize the damage output.

• Give Winona the ability to pack her Catapults or Spotlights and to place them anywhere else. Building catapults everywhere feels costly and once you're done with it there won't be any reason to keep playing as Winona.
  • Spotlights should rather focus on enemies instead of players. That won't hurt Winona that much since she can dodge one attack from Charlie. Other than that, having such a small light radius isn't that useful since you won't be able to spot hazards around you not until it's too late, but it's big enough to attack or kite enemies without being attacked by Charlie.
  • Give Winona any structure which helps her gathering ressources, mostly to allow her to utilize her faster crafting ability. But Wagstaff's Thumper feels more like a bad example for that, it should rather be something which harvests slower but has a bigger range like Maxwell's shadow minions. That would give you a reason to refill your generator and it will also allow you to utilize it better in areas with less resources around.

I actually like Winona's design, but she feels unfinished currently.

Archived