Making the lighter refuelable would definitely strike a balance between infinite durability singleplayer lighters and the current disposable crafted DST lighters. I don't really play Willow enough to be certain whether an intermediate step like that is a good lighter buff or if she should just get the infinite lighter, but it's certainly an option.

Maybe it could use Glommer Goop and/or Slurtle Slime, since those are flammable liquids available in the Constant; Nightmare Fuel is what the Magiluminescence and Shadow Thurible use but those are way more magicky and the lighter is a seemingly mundane object. Slurtle Slime would have better synchronicity with caving, but Glommer Goop would probably be easier for players who spend most of their time aboveground.

48 minutes ago, HeatAndRun said:

Petals are relatively hard to mass-produce

Accidentally I mass produced them, when I caught a lot of bees and later released them. Later I discovered quite interesting lagg caused by over 20 homeless bees and over hundred flowers.

1 hour ago, HeatAndRun said:

The biggest problem of lighter is petals are its ingredients.

Petals are relatively hard to mass-produce, and most importantly, petals spoil over time.

If only the lighter was available to refuel..

It would be neat if Willow's lighter stayed the way it is now with the added feature that it would recharge itself when reaching 0% after some longer amount of time (or other condition). Then it would be both infinite and finite and useful in the sense that you don't need to spend precious resources for something that has its uses but can still be considered a "weak" item, that gets outclassed by other items and whose crafting ingredients make its investment hard to justify.

Lore is just one factor to look into character design. Willow is in a good place right now, introducing controversial mechanic based on ambiguous story line would make no sense into the gameplay (Also, alters the lore would be less complicated and cheaper than redesign a character).

Refuelable lighter seems nice for nomad life style as Willow, Walter or Warly, they will have a portable campfire all the time, but otherwise the change is insignificant  for any one else due to the bare minimum light radius of lighter.

Experienced players often overlook downside of characters. Making Willow harder to deal with low temperature or survival aspect in general, only punishes new players (does nothing to a skilled one) futher lower her pick rate.

I would like to add one good suggestion some people have mentioned in previous post: Make Big Bernie can be recollected by Willow at any time, to escape overwhelming situation or log in or out of cave more conveniently.

16 minutes ago, Well-met said:

I don't think you've read the thread. There are good points as to why the lighter could use a buff.

I have read it

I like the idea of only being infinity for her but anyways a lanter can be made at day 2 and let lighters for winter as a cheap high durability torch and a confortable way to cook in travels

Or it can have more chance to burn enemies (right now is too low) but its durability for that cost isnt an issue and i dont get why people complain about it that is what im talking in my post

1 hour ago, Well-met said:

I don't think you've read the thread. There are good points as to why the lighter could use a buff.

You are overestimating the use of her lighter and give too much credence to OP's pretty exaggerated claims: in their view lighter having durability suddenly makes it from "her signature things, it was part of her very good character design in DS" straight into "running joke of the game, it's borderline useless". Frankly OP doesn't have any real argument for those claims, when in fact Willow Lighter has exactly same usage as single-player's with a small caveat - after 100 cooking uses you need to make a new one for a modicum of resources (Flowers and Grass are pretty much everywhere in Forest shard, Gold can be obtained even without mining by any character on a hunt - not to mention in caves literally falls from the ceiling). Sure would be a minimal QoL if made infinite in durability when used by Willow, still too much "drama" for a problem mostly to do with players not planning ahead and over/under-estimating their resource management. And if one still uses Lighter for light after first 5 days I believe they are doing something wrong on the long run and Lighter probably should be the least of their worries.

5 hours ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

You are overestimating the use of her lighter and give too much credence to OP's pretty exaggerated claims: in their view lighter having durability suddenly makes it from "her signature things, it was part of her very good character design in DS" straight into "running joke of the game, it's borderline useless". Frankly OP doesn't have any real argument for those claims, when in fact Willow Lighter has exactly same usage as single-player's with a small caveat - after 100 cooking uses you need to make a new one for a modicum of resources (Flowers and Grass are pretty much everywhere in Forest shard, Gold can be obtained even without mining by any character on a hunt - not to mention in caves literally falls from the ceiling). Sure would be a minimal QoL if made infinite in durability when used by Willow, still too much "drama" for a problem mostly to do with players not planning ahead and over/under-estimating their resource management. And if one still uses Lighter for light after first 5 days I believe they are doing something wrong on the long run and Lighter probably should be the least of their worries.

So striking discussion is drama nowadays. Yeah OK buddy, you know it best....

Also yeah, an infinite ligher that can't cook, and a durability liter that can are the same usage. (Definitely.)

We need to remind ourselves, that not EVERY change HAS to be for the sake of PURE BALANCE.

Willow's lighter was a cool and a unique thing that Willow brought to the table, an infinite light source, and it was fun to use (but fun is very subjective).

My entire argument throughout my post is simply "If it doesn't harm the way, or break the balance of a character, then why not?"

If it'd be such a minimal QoL change to the game, but would also make a lot of players happy, then why not?

Me thinks that your anger filled post is just that... An anger filled post. Next time please try to focus on the discussion at hand, and not try to muck up your post by averting the attention to nonsensical things such as "drama".

23 hours ago, Ogrecakes said:

Its very easy to make the lighter not consume fuel when held by Willow, I did it in UM in like 5 minutes, pretty sure it was something like this:

local function OnEquip(inst, owner)

if not owner:HasTag("pyromaniac") then

inst.components.fueled:StartConsuming()

end

end

Just checks if you are willow when equipping, if not, then start consuming fuel.

1 simple check and youre golden, dunno what reason there would be for Willow not to have this.

Literally this.

6 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

because it take time to code it and devs could waste that time to code useful things

27 minutes ago, Nikki Darks said:

So striking discussion is drama nowadays. Yeah OK buddy, you know it best....

Also yeah, an infinite ligher that can't cook, and a durability liter that can are the same usage. (Definitely.)

We need to remind ourselves, that not EVERY change HAS to be for the sake of PURE BALANCE.

Willow's lighter was a cool and a unique thing that Willow brought to the table, an infinite light source, and it was fun to use (but fun is very subjective).

My entire argument throughout my post is simply "If it doesn't harm the way, or break the balance of a character, then why not?"

If it'd be such a minimal QoL change to the game, but would also make a lot of players happy, then why not?

Me thinks that your anger filled post is just that... An anger filled post. Next time please try to focus on the discussion at hand, and not try to muck up your post by averting the attention to nonsensical things such as "drama".

So all your argument boils down to "Willow's lighter was a cool and a unique thing that Willow brought to the table, an infinite light source, and it was fun to use". I suppose in your view was "cool and unique" because it brought "infinite light source" (as little and inefficient it actually is). And now, because it has durability, suddenly is at opposite end of spectrum, quote: a "running joke of the game, it's borderline useless". Right. Some people seem to be like that, only black-and-white. Hmm...

As stated, I for one am rather indifferent. I wanted to read some objective facts about why Willow's Lighter having durability component makes it "borderline useless". I got from another poster the "I can cook tons of raw food on it without thinking of wasting required quantities of Petals, Grass, Gold". Seems fair. That's quantifiable. Fun, indeed, isn't. But a far cry from "borderline useless". And that's of course a quite dramatic statement.

Also is not anger. Rather "politically incorrect" bluntness.

5 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

So all your argument boils down to "Willow's lighter was a cool and a unique thing that Willow brought to the table, an infinite light source, and it was fun to use". I suppose in your view was "cool and unique" because it brought "infinite light source" (as little and inefficient it actually is). And now, because it has durability, suddenly is at opposite end of spectrum, quote: a "running joke of the game, it's borderline useless". Right. Some people seem to be like that, only black-and-white. Hmm...

As stated, I for one am rather indifferent. I wanted to read some objective facts about why Willow's Lighter having durability component makes it "borderline useless". I got from another poster the "I can cook tons of raw food on it without thinking of wasting required quantities of Petals, Grass, Gold". Seems fair. That's quantifiable. Fun, indeed, isn't. But a far cry from "borderline useless". And that's of course a quite dramatic statement.

Also is not anger. Rather "politically incorrect" bluntness.

I don't think I've ever mentioned anything about this having to include strictly balance ideas, I've merely shared my opinions and asked people to share theirs. 

Opinions aren't objective. So it's on you that you came in here looking for objective facts, when this is just a post about opinions... Which are extremely subjective. 

Archived