What characters benefit the most from taming beefalo?

I was thinking about this earlier, i think my answer'd be maxwell and wendy, since for maxwell the beefalo is a huge damage buffer compared to his default 75 hp, and for wendy you can do upwards of 100 damage per attack with a regular ornery beef with no war saddle. 

5 minutes ago, Lbphero said:

why? woby is real cruddy beefalo, if that's what you're implying.

I didn't actually put much thought into that comment, I was just cracking a joke. But, yeah, the point of the joke was that Woby the Discount Beefalo can get you many of the things you'd want to tame a beefalo for on Day 1 at the low price of four monster meat.

Wilson:Average - No particular benefit or negative.

Willow:Slight Positive - Fire immunity is passed onto Beefalo when ridden. No negative

Wolfgang:Huge Negative - Innate low damage and low speed when low hunger is bypassed. Innate high damage and high speed when full is also bypassed.

Wendy:Huge Positive - Her innate low damage is bypassed increasing her damage considerably and is buffed by Abigail. No negative.

WX-78:Slight Negative - Has no benefit. Beefalo does not inherit WX-78's overcharge speed.

Wickerbottom:Slight Positive - Wickerbottom can more easily tame and heal a beefalo through farming. No negative.

Woodie:Slight Negative - No benefit. Can't use were forms while on beefalo and gets tossed off during full moon.

Wes:Slight Positive - Riding a beefalo cancels out Wes's low health and damage. Slightly more difficult to feed beefalo due to increased hunger.

Wigfrid:Moderately Negative - Can use excess vegetables and fruits to feed beefalo. Innate damage boost and damage reduction is canceled out by beefalo.

Maxwell:Slightly Positive - Low health is negated when riding beefalo. No negative.

Winona:Average - No particular benefit or negative.

Warly:Moderately Positive - Chili spice and lightning jelly increase damage when eaten by the player and riding the beefalo. No negative.

Wormwood:Huge Positive - Beefalo takes all damage except for projectiles removing the difficulty of healing himself. Wormwood excels in farming vegetables and fruits which can be used for the beefalo. No substantial negative.

Wortox:Kinda Negative - No substantial benefit. Cannot heal beefalo with souls and cannot teleport with beefalo. 

Wurt:Average - No particular benefit or negative.

Walter:Huge Positive - Bee allergy and sanity hits are negated when riding beefalo. Can use slingshot on beefalo as well. No noticeable negative.

Wormwood is probably the one that benefits the most. Wendy and Walter are right after.

6 minutes ago, ButterStuffed said:

Wickerbottom:Slight Positive - Wickerbottom can more easily tame and heal a beefalo through farming. No negative.

Wormwood:Huge Positive - Beefalo takes all damage except for projectiles removing the difficulty of healing himself. Wormwood excels in farming vegetables and fruits which can be used for the beefalo. No substantial negative.

This is fair, but I should note that you need not actually ever feed the beefalo in order to tame it/maintain such tameness. Riding it just does as much in the domestication department. Nonetheless it does help, just saiyan.

11 minutes ago, ButterStuffed said:

Warly:Slight Negative - No special benefit (unless the spices increase the beefalo's damage which i'm pretty sure they don't) Cannot use spices and lightning jelly's increased damage on beefalo.

dontstarve_steam_QFHEvd9VTy.png.460dc04da3fe06f002009c8cdd161934.png

i am happy to say that it appears that the damage benefits apply to the beefalo if you eat it (not if you feed it to the beef)

14 minutes ago, Lbphero said:

This is fair, but I should note that you need not actually ever feed the beefalo in order to tame it/maintain such tameness. Riding it just does as much in the domestication department. Nonetheless it does help, just saiyan.

dontstarve_steam_QFHEvd9VTy.png.460dc04da3fe06f002009c8cdd161934.png

i am happy to say that it appears that the damage benefits apply to the beefalo if you eat it (not if you feed it to the beef)

Good to know, that bumps Warly up quite a bit.

25 minutes ago, Well-met said:

Wendy's petal thing is the highest benefit.

This. Besides all the things butterstuffed greatly pointed out, Wendy is the one that benefits the most IMHO. Not only she negates her con entirely, it even reverts it to place her among the highest damage dealers of the game.

Wormwood in close second due to negating some of his con, and having an easier time feeding/healing the beefalo.

Wickerbottom in close third due to being able to rush beefalo taming (can start taming without alchemy and with much less preparation. With a good starting position I started riding as soon as day 2 on a public server) and also being able to feed/heal the beefalo easily.

Walter probably fourth, I believe he is meant to get a beefalo at some point as a direct upgrade to woby on the surface. Then fifth I'd place maxwell and wes, for just negating some of their cons.

Other small buffs that are not gamechangers, but were not mentioned yet:

- Webber has a tiny bonus of being able to ride his beefalo over webbing without aggroing spiders or being slowed down. 

- Wigfrid regenerates her own HP and sanity even when riding (not the beefalo's HP though)

2 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

This. Besides all the things butterstuffed greatly pointed out, Wendy is the one that benefits the most IMHO. Not only she negates her con entirely, it even reverts it to place her among the highest damage dealers of the game.

Wormwood in close second due to negating some of his con, and having an easier time feeding/healing the beefalo.

Wickerbottom in close third due to being able to rush beefalo taming (can start taming without alchemy and with much less preparation. With a good starting position I started riding as soon as day 2 on a public server) and also being able to feed/heal the beefalo easily.

Walter probably fourth, I believe he is meant to get a beefalo at some point as a direct upgrade to woby on the surface. Then fifth I'd place maxwell and wes, for just negating some of their cons.

Other small buffs that are not gamechangers, but were not mentioned yet:

- Webber has a tiny bonus of being able to ride his beefalo over webbing without aggroing spiders or being slowed down. 

- Wigfrid regenerates her own HP and sanity even when riding (not the beefalo's HP though)

Wolfgang's mighty probably makes the giant beef run faster aswell. But it's a guess as I never played wolf.

1 minute ago, Well-met said:

Wolfgang's mighty probably makes the giant beef run faster aswell. But it's a guess as I never played wolf.

Sadly it doesnt, the beefalo moves slower when he is mighty, to compensate the size difference. So it always moves at the same speed regardless of wolfgang's state.

49 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Ironically, riding a beefalo will not change Wendy's ranking among damage dealers a single bit. Even on foot, she has the second highest single target DPS among the cast, as the combined damage from Wendy and Abigail matches Wigfrid's damage at worst (day) or surpasses it at best (dusk/night). And she still comes in 2nd place on a beefalo, since the damage boost is just not enough to dethrone Wolfgang.

Then again, the Wigfrid refresh next month might change that.

1 hour ago, QuartzBeam said:

Ironically, riding a beefalo will not change Wendy's ranking among damage dealers a single bit. Even on foot, she has the second highest single target DPS among the cast, as the combined damage from Wendy and Abigail matches Wigfrid's damage at worst (day) or surpasses it at best (dusk/night). And she still comes in 2nd place on a beefalo, since the damage boost is just not enough to dethrone Wolfgang.

If we compare a non beefalo Wendy, and a beefalo Wendy, her DPS is far superior while mounted. While on an ornery beefalo with war saddle and cancelling the attack animation her DPS puts her a lot closer to Wolfgang with a dark sword, with the added advantages of unlimited durability at the cost of sticks or vegetables, and a strong AOE that can stunlock lesser mobs.

Even compared to Wolfgang, she trades a bit of damage for permanent high speed and a strong AOE.

So basically she is (so far) one of the highest possible damage dealers of the game with a beef, since it surpasses by far her non-mounted self.

37 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

If we compare a non beefalo Wendy, and a beefalo Wendy, her DPS is far superior while mounted. While on an ornery beefalo with war saddle and cancelling the attack animation her DPS puts her a lot closer to Wolfgang with a dark sword, with the added advantages of unlimited durability at the cost of sticks or vegetables, and a strong AOE that can stunlock lesser mobs.

Even compared to Wolfgang, she trades a bit of damage for permanent high speed and a strong AOE.

So basically she is (so far) one of the highest possible damage dealers of the game with a beef, since it surpasses by far her non-mounted self.

I know all that. I'm just noting she gets 2nd place regardless of whether or not she is riding a beefalo. Also, yeah, this is all in regards to single target damage.

Obviously, it comes to AoE, she surpasses Wolfgang by miles. (I just had her fight 15 beefalos with nothing but a Distilled Vengeance at night and she killed all but two of them.)

10 hours ago, CameoAppearance said:

I didn't actually put much thought into that comment, I was just cracking a joke. But, yeah, the point of the joke was that Woby the Discount Beefalo can get you many of the things you'd want to tame a beefalo for on Day 1 at the low price of four monster meat.

What you forget is Walter's sanity loss from taking damage. Riding a beef prevents ALL non-ranged damage to a player, therefore keeping Walter's sanity intact for bigger fights. 

I believe the one that benefits the most is Wendy, you circumvent her low damage output, you can tank enemies for longer so that Abby can fight undisturbed (considering you don't mind getting your beefalo killed, or near death), and on top of that Abigail increases the damage of the beefalo.

Wes is a close second as you circumvent both: his low health and low damage output; and also his low hunger + fast hunger drain as you can forage relatively faster.

Maxwell definitely benefits as well due to his low health. I guess Wormwood too since he can't heal through normal means.

Walter takes some benefit for fighting Bee Queen, but I believe not much else. And Wolfgang and Wigfrid are definitely the worst users of the beefalo as they lose damage and health.

The rest of the cast is pretty much neutral.

Archived