If this table in the wiki is correct than why do everyone suggest the use of only Purple Gems?

I haven't fought the Crab King yet but I plan to and everyone I encountered, friends, acquintences or youtubers that have fought with it recommend socketting 8 purple gems and one pearl. However one look at this table in the wiki tells me to instead make a different combination to avoid buffing him too much. Specifically placing just one gem of colors: Red, Purple, Yellow, Orange and Green seem to not change his stats at all if I'm interpreting the table correctly. As such, even assuming that people are right with "Number of Geysers" being his most manageable aspect to buff, logic says that you should Socket: 1 Red, 1 Yellow, 1 Orange, 1 Green, Pearl's Pearl and 4 Purple Gems.

In fact, for most gems, there doesn't seem much of a difference between levels 2 and 3 either. Thus by gambling a little bit with other stats, you can further decrease the geyser amount. For instance, the table says that if I socket 2 and 3 red gems, it'll only add 3000 health to his base 2000 HP. Thus, if 3000 more health won't be a big deal for you, the combination 3 Red, 3 Purple, 1 Yellow, 1 Orange, 1 Green (Especially in instances where Pearl's Pearl isn't available anymore). If you don't want to deal with the 3K health boost, you can theoratically add, 2 more Yellow or 2 more Green gems in place of the additional 2 red ones but I can't really comment on the difficulty that comes with decreasing its freeze timer by 1 second or increasing the imposing claws by 1.

As such, I really cannot understand the tunnel vision behind the 8 Purple 1 Pearl strategy. Either this table is wrong or people (or me) are missing something important. I'll try the fight with 1 Red, 1 Yellow, 1 Orange, 1 Green, and 5 Purple Gems unless there's a catch that I'm missing here.

Side question: Why is the table going up to 11 gem count if you can only place 9 gems? Again, am I missimg something here or were hackers able to drill 2 more holes into the Crab Kimg just to see what happens?

1936496589_GemTableCrabKing.thumb.png.1689716b0b0803a6d4d0a0d91c72a572.png

geysers are very manageable and avoidable if you have the timing down.

nobody wants to fight a 100,000(!) health boss, especially on a crappy boat

maxed out freeze is an automatic lose

fast casting pretty much disables being able to avoid geysers

maxed out orange outheals any party with less than like 5 players

maxed out claws shreds every boat.

This is my guess but it's probably why everyone says purple is the easiest.

9 minutes ago, SinancoTheBest said:

.Side question: Why is the table going up to 11 gem count if you can only place 9 gems? Again, am I missimg something here or were hackers able to drill 2 more holes into the Crab Kimg just to see what happens?

The Pearl's Pearl gives the crab king buffs of each gem by 3x, thus you could have a gems ability buffed up to more than 9x. 8 Purple gems and 1 Pearl would give the Crab King up to 11x Purple gem buff. Thats why the table goes up to 11 here.

17 minutes ago, SinancoTheBest said:

[...]

Pearl's Pearl counts as 3x of each gem (3x Red Gem, 3x Purple Gem, 3x Blue Gem, 3x Yellow Gem, 3x Orange Gem, 3x Green Gem), that's why the table goes up to 11.

Replacing 5 out of 8 purple gems with different gems will reduce the amount of geysers by 20% but increase his health by 39%, make his freezing attack 17% bigger, make him cast his freezing 33% faster and his geysers 17% faster, increase his healing by 13%, add one more claw and increase the health of his claws by 9%. That doesn't look that much worth it compared to only 25% more geysers.

1 hour ago, Viktor234 said:

Pearl's Pearl counts as 3x of each gem (3x Red Gem, 3x Purple Gem, 3x Blue Gem, 3x Yellow Gem, 3x Orange Gem, 3x Green Gem), that's why the table goes up to 11.

Ohh, I didn't know that, thanks, I though it didn't do anything but guarantee the altar drop and provide a story closure for Crabby Hermit, So it's like putting three irredescent gems. I'll be sure to do it with 8 purples when fighting him with the pearl.

1 hour ago, Viktor234 said:

Replacing 5 out of 8 purple gems with different gems will reduce the amount of geysers by 20% but increase his health by 39%, make his freezing attack 17% bigger, make him cast his freezing 33% faster and his geysers 17% faster, increase his healing by 13%, add one more claw and increase the health of his claws by 9%. That doesn't look that much worth it compared to only 25% more geysers.

Yea, that is with the pearl, I was wrong in assuming that it didn't boost anything. But what about my assumption for a pearless run?

Is "1 Red, 1 Yellow, 1 Orange, 1 Green and 5 Purple Gems. " essentially a better combination than 9 Purple gems for having 2 less geysers and not adding any boost to the boss or is there a catch there too?

As has been said, Purple gems are chosen because the geyser effect is fairly easy to manage

Use red gems and you're going to be fighting nearly the equivalent of Misery toadstool

Blue gems and you're going to spend the entire fight stunlocked due to the freezing spells

Yellow gems and you're not going to have time to react to the guysers

Orange gems and you're not going to be able to hit him enough to prevent his healing

and green gems you're going to have nearly a dozen claws trying to tear your boat to shreds while also having the HP to back the efforts up.

Purple gems are optimal because the guysers are easy to cancel with an ice staff. None of the other gems have this sort of counterplay.

41 minutes ago, DaZoul said:

B E E  M I N E S

That sounds good too and I want to try that after attempting a fair fight. How does that work though, do you just place like 12 Bee mines on a disposable boat near Crab King and start the fight? Couldn't find a good video of the bee mine strategy. On youtube I saw 2 versions of this strategy with Killer Bees, one with Starcaller Staff and one without. Do I need Dwarfstars around CK to keep the bees unfrozen form his freeze attacks? Also how do bee mines compare to using stacks of killer bees instead- all methods I saw used killer bees, not bee mines.

1 minute ago, SinancoTheBest said:

That sounds good too and I want to try that after attempting a fair fight. How does that work though, do you just place like 12 Bee mines on a disposable boat near Crab King and start the fight? Couldn't find a good video of the bee mine strategy. On youtube I saw 2 versions of this strategy with Killer Bees, one with Starcaller Staff and one without. Do I need Dwarfstars around CK to keep the bees unfrozen form his freeze attacks? Also how do bee mines compare to using stacks of killer bees instead- all methods I saw used killer bees, not bee mines.

TL;DR the Crab King doesn't actually have any ways to damage entities directly, all his attacks either Freeze, but don't damage, or damage boats. This means that the bees have free reign to sting the Crab until he goes down

30 minutes ago, Theukon-dos said:

TL;DR the Crab King doesn't actually have any ways to damage entities directly, all his attacks either Freeze, but don't damage, or damage boats. This means that the bees have free reign to sting the Crab until he goes down

yea, I got that part in theory but I don't have a way of implementing it. For test I placed bee mines on a boat and sinked it but it didn't release any of the bees- was it a glitch or am I doing something wrong? I assume it'll work if I put 40 killer bees in a box on boat and sink it.

Also do I or do I not need to protect my bees from freezing during the fight? one video uses lots of dward stars to prevent bees from freezing while another doesn't use any.

1 minute ago, SinancoTheBest said:

yea, I got that part in theory but I don't have a way of implementing it. For test I placed bee mines on a boat and sinked it but it didn't release any of the bees- was it a glitch or am I doing something wrong? I assume it'll work if I put 40 killer bees in a box on boat and sink it.

Also do I or do I not need to protect my bees from freezing during the fight? one video uses lots of dward stars to prevent bees from freezing while another doesn't use any.

last I checked, You basically need to put all the beenades on one side of the boat and then ram it into CK. Not sure about the Dwarf star thing though. It probably speeds up the fight, but I don't think they're nessesary

12 minutes ago, SinancoTheBest said:

Well, the I didn't know the Pearl's effect but if I'm not going to socket the pearl, I don't see how 9 Purple gems are better than "1 Red, 1 Yellow, 1 Orange, 1 Green, and 5 Purple Gems"

you're probably correct.

people are lazy I guess.

13 minutes ago, SinancoTheBest said:

Well, the I didn't know the Pearl's effect but if I'm not going to socket the pearl, I don't see how 9 Purple gems are better than "1 Red, 1 Yellow, 1 Orange, 1 Green, and 5 Purple Gems"

Probably because of the gem cost in the long run.

Out of all the gems that stockpile easily from many sources and do not have many other uses in the late game, you'd have to pick among blue, red, and purple. And out of those, purple gives the easiest fight.

3 minutes ago, Well-met said:

people are lazy I guess.

This sums all of the above :lol:.

-"the simplest solution is almost always the best.”

51 minutes ago, Theukon-dos said:

i play dst solo a lot so any info on boss cheese is good info for me

1 hour ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Out of all the gems that stockpile easily from many sources and do not have many other uses in the late game, you'd have to pick among blue, red, and purple. And out of those, purple gives the easiest fight.

Yup, that's it.^^ Although that's just for obtaining the materials I think because if I'm not mistaken Crab King drops all the socketed stuff when defeated, so if you have many gems of color waiting in your base, I guess it's good to take them to the journey with you.

Dunno if anyone has made this point yet

But another reason people use ONLY purple gems is because usually at around that point in the game, you may have plenty of them after having cleared the ruins and killed all the bishops down there. Leaving you with quite a pile of purple gems. Rather than the other ones like green yellow or orange where they are far more valuable and useful 

Archived