I want to empty the lava biome!!

Hello everyone!

I'd like to remove all the magma in the marga biome as fast as possible. I've done most stuff in my playthroughs so naturally I'm moving towards crazy projects!

In a previous playthrough, I was able to carve out something like a quarter of it using a massive amounts of spare water, steam turbines and diggind the lava as soon as it solidified to destroy heat. It was super fun, literally playing with fire.

This time, I don't have water. This means that, since I don't have the initial cold mass, the "steam room" is not accessible by dupes as it would be impossible to create a liquid lock. I tried using a very basic setup as a test, 3 steam turbines sucking steam that touches lava directly, but the the conductivity is very bad and the process seems to be incredibly slow even considering how much heat is stored in the lava.

Does anyone have some tricks or tips to give me, or even their personal setup/experience?

1 hour ago, suxkar said:

Hello everyone!

I'd like to remove all the magma in the marga biome as fast as possible. I've done most stuff in my playthroughs so naturally I'm moving towards crazy projects!

In a previous playthrough, I was able to carve out something like a quarter of it using a massive amounts of spare water, steam turbines and diggind the lava as soon as it solidified to destroy heat. It was super fun, literally playing with fire.

This time, I don't have water. This means that, since I don't have the initial cold mass, the "steam room" is not accessible by dupes as it would be impossible to create a liquid lock. I tried using a very basic setup as a test, 3 steam turbines sucking steam that touches lava directly, but the the conductivity is very bad and the process seems to be incredibly slow even considering how much heat is stored in the lava.

Does anyone have some TRICKS or tips to give me, or even their personal setup/experience?

I'd look up how a liquid pump works in ONI and pump the magma away.

1 hour ago, mathmanican said:

A CO2 lock will get you access.

CO2 lock?? How does it work?

1 hour ago, Glassyfo said:

I'd look up how a liquid pump works in ONI and pump the magma away.

I know about it, it just seems so slow and impractical!!

12 minutes ago, Soulwind said:

You can't use a co2 lock when one side is a vacuum

One side of the lock is steam. The other side is 10mcg of chlorine topped off by a hydrogen lock to trap everything in. Vacuum is not required.  The 10mcg of chlorine is essentially vacuum (it won't transfer heat). 

25 minutes ago, suxkar said:

CO2 lock?? How does it work

Here is the first link that showed with a Google search, "CO2 lock oni". I'm sure you can find more. 

Spoiler

You can do a mirrored built with hydrogen.  Stack two next to each other, with a tiny blob of Chlorine between, and you essentially have yourself a vacuum lock that requires no liquid.

I'm currently draining my magma biome, hey "It's free real estate" ...  It's been a learning process... As well as lots of happy steam events... or rather "lack of steam" ...
If you're planning on "directly" pumping the magma I'd recommend starting at the rightmost spot of the map on account of liquid pumps and how they work for that matter.

4 minutes ago, JRup said:

I'm currently draining my magma biome, hey "It's free real estate" ...  It's been a learning process... As well as lots of happy steam events... or rather "lack of steam" ...
If you're planning on "directly" pumping the magma I'd recommend starting at the rightmost spot of the map on account of liquid pumps and how they work for that matter.

How are you doing it?

13 minutes ago, mathmanican said:

One side of the lock is steam. The other side is 10mcg of chlorine topped off by a hydrogen lock to trap everything in. Vacuum is not required.  The 10mcg of chlorine is essentially vacuum (it won't transfer heat). 

Here is the first link that showed with a Google search, "CO2 lock oni". I'm sure you can find more. 

Hide contents

You can do a mirrored built with hydrogen.  Stack two next to each other, with a tiny blob of Chlorine between, and you essentially have yourself a vacuum lock that requires no liquid.

Thank you, I could have serached myself, my bad, I just didn't think it was a thing!

39 minutes ago, suxkar said:

How are you doing it?

The secret ingredient is crime crispy duplicants...

I started with a small vacuum and a crude oil liquid lock... The vacuum grew larger as I burrowed the abyssalite and  into the magma biome. Then a small pumping station was set up... I got inspiration from a Francis John video in which he got inspiration from this other guy that was also pumping magma... I will be nabbing some further inspiration for an alternative pump setup from someone else on this forum... (I can hear the siren's call from a debris furnace made by @ghkbrew and nobody's sorry for Harold...)

Lessons learned: 

• Have some empty vertical space on a side for the displaced magma when burrowing... Leaky tiles aren't fun if it's magma what's seeping through...
  • I'm storing all my obsidian in this vacuum and won't take it out any time soon. Most mined obsidian is from here and it's toasty.
  • Keep tiles above spaces where dupes might will drop stuff so it doesn't go swimming in the red hot pool.
  • Naptha is wonderful, naphta is life... Well, I guess that's until you get visco gel. Set up an automated dispenser and toss 30kg blobs at a time for spot cooling setups and 10kg blobs are good double liquid lock starters.

The magma is being depleted at a rate of about 2 kg/s because I'm just directly cooling it down in a 4 steam turbine setup and the debris is collected after the fact... It has lasted hundreds of cycles this way...

2 hours ago, blennus said:

How about infinite lava compresion? No need for a pump, Just compress it, and you can make that lava go anywhare. Pump it up to space and melt all the regolith!

Except you have one problem there, where there isn't a pump you can put in the lava. 

1 minute ago, Zarquan said:

Except you have one problem there, where there isn't a pump you can put in the lava. 

I like the idea and I'm ok with not being able to extract the magma once stored. I don't need the heat! The issue is, how do I build a waterfall on the bottom of a lava pit?

3 hours ago, Zarquan said:

Just rearrange the doors so there's a verticle mech door as part of the ceiling with automation I think. Then when you open it the magma pumps itself.

2 hours ago, mathmanican said:

Avoid vertical extraction unless you want an explosive flare.  Horizontal extraction can be perfectly metered. 

hp-flare-animatied.gif.f3c3f9ae909cf2272

Hide contents

If you build a one tile chimney I found that lava rises rather slowly.

image.thumb.png.017e51d3d31f9ff050208f02f99215a1.png

Beware of pressure damage though.

22 minutes ago, Glassyfo said:

If you build a one tile chimney

Your build here is throttled by the sideways flow located at the start of your escher fall. 

image.png.1bbbb15a80c73b2d1906b4a07a3f2af1.png

The flow rate is viscosity/0.2s, which for magma is 60kg/0.2s = 300kg/s.  So yes, your vertical shoot will rise at 300kg/s, but that is 100% controlled by the horizontal flow of liquid coming in.  You cannot increase this horizontal flow. This is why I suggested, if you want a metered outflow, to build the escape door on the side, not top. 

If, on the other hand, you bottle it all up in high-pressure storage, and then open a door upwards, be prepared for a deluge. Compressed liquid expands vertically upwards at alarmingly fast rates (a single tick can get you several tiles upwards). 

Spoiler

mf-animated-new.gif.39870885409035f5bfba

Taming fluids in ONI is what I specialize in. 

56 minutes ago, mathmanican said:

Your build here is throttled by the sideways flow located at the start of your escher fall. 

The flow rate is viscosity/0.2s, which for magma is 60kg/0.2s = 300kg/s.  So yes, your vertical shoot will rise at 300kg/s, but that is 100% controlled by the horizontal flow of liquid coming in.  You cannot increase this horizontal flow. This is why I suggested, if you want a metered outflow, to build the escape door on the side, not top. 

If, on the other hand, you bottle it all up in high-pressure storage, and then open a door upwards, be prepared for a deluge. Compressed liquid expands vertically upwards at alarmingly fast rates (a single tick can get you several tiles upwards). 

Hide contents

Add a few corners to slow it down :D

5 hours ago, mathmanican said:

Hide contents

This totally makes sense, but then why doesn't it work like this in Francis John video? I would have expected the magma to rise, except it doesn't!

EDIT: may be I get it. In Francis John's video, it is entirely ruled by normal viscosity laws, while in @Glassyfo's example the escher waterfall forces 300kg/s regardless, is this the reason?

I experimented a bit with magma compression in debug to see how it would be to buid it with duplicants in survival and it is fairly complicated and dangerous but doable. I think I'll give it a try and report back with, hopefully, my magma biome compressed into 5 squares!

Yes mate! I'm doing the interesting project thing at the moment. What ones have you done so far? I've had a break from the game and came back recently for another try.

Solar panel systems have done my head in previously, so I thought I'd try and go full geothermal. It has the side effect of cooling the core relatively fast. In the few hundred cycles it's been running it's solidified a lot of magma. I want to solidify it all by building a steel/thermium conduction rod that will reach the bottom of the map. Some slightly toasted dupes hopefully won't mind helping with that. I'll have the doctors ready.

Here are some screenies. If you scale this up it could be immense, although it did take me houuuurs to build. I'm planning to declare this run complete when there is no more lava left, I've worked out how to build systems for all these new recreation items, and most of my living space is where the magma was! Post your version if you build one please! Cheers, have fun.

GeoThermPow.jpg

GeoThermPowZoomedOut.jpg

58 minutes ago, ZaphodCortez said:

Yes mate! I'm doing the interesting project thing at the moment. What ones have you done so far? I've had a break from the game and came back recently for another try.

Solar panel systems have done my head in previously, so I thought I'd try and go full geothermal. It has the side effect of cooling the core relatively fast. In the few hundred cycles it's been running it's solidified a lot of magma. I want to solidify it all by building a steel/thermium conduction rod that will reach the bottom of the map. Some slightly toasted dupes hopefully won't mind helping with that. I'll have the doctors ready.

Here are some screenies. If you scale this up it could be immense, although it did take me houuuurs to build. I'm planning to declare this run complete when there is no more lava left, I've worked out how to build systems for all these new recreation items, and most of my living space is where the magma was! Post your version if you build one please! Cheers, have fun.

GeoThermPow.jpg

GeoThermPowZoomedOut.jpg

Yeah I was thinking about something like this at the beginning, it's just too slow. Even pumping magma at 20kg/sec, a basic calculation says it would need 20 THOUSAND cycles to cool everything down even wasting temperature with the turbines.

Archived