I want to empty the lava biome!!

Huh? I'm not pumping any magma, that was the other suggestions. I did this with conduction through the bottom plate which was in contact with the magma. If you're not bothered about power then you could just make the bottom section of this with the turbines and an aquatuner loop cooling them. With 16 turbines+ you'd cool things pretty quick. Certainly not thousands of cycles. Especially as you can mine out the igneous rock at sub 1400 degrees.

1 hour ago, ZaphodCortez said:

Certainly not thousands of cycles. Especially as you can mine out the igneous rock at sub 1400 degrees.

I would dare say without any accurate estimate that I've already pumped about a fifth or 6th part of the total magma in about 1k cycles... I'm just saving it during this playthrough... Let's take into account that it's churning through 2 x 1kg/s pipes almost constantly... 190C igneous comes out of the pipes and is later cooled down to about 60C-ish... The rig has had its downtime episodes -yes- but it's tided me through my bumbling about in the game, mainly analysis paralysis and lots of trial & error with different mock setups of stuff being done...

Each kg of magma pumped turns into 1kg of igneous. No loss of mass due to mining. It could be compared  to people who melt an ice biome and people who just mine through it and couldn't care less about losing half the water... Whatever scratches the itch, I suppose.

TL;DR: Build bigger and churn through more at a time, but mainly have fun.

On 8/16/2020 at 4:36 PM, suxkar said:

impossible to create a liquid lock

I used the following trick to break into a room with 1100C steam, 300Kg/tile.

Make your fav type of lock and dig in a vacuum, of course, until you get 2 tiles in a diagonal only. Remove debris. Place a shiftplate made of lead. It'll reach the other side and melt almost immediately. There you have your liquid lock. When you break in be careful in not creating a bead pump, since part of the 800kg molten lead will fall inside.

You can also do this, when dealing with magma directly in a vacuum:

8 hours ago, ZaphodCortez said:

Huh? I'm not pumping any magma, that was the other suggestions. I did this with conduction through the bottom plate which was in contact with the magma. If you're not bothered about power then you could just make the bottom section of this with the turbines and an aquatuner loop cooling them. With 16 turbines+ you'd cool things pretty quick. Certainly not thousands of cycles. Especially as you can mine out the igneous rock at sub 1400 degrees.

Yeah i saw you don't use pumps, I just meant that EVEN IF you pumped (which would be much faster then tile to tile conductivity) it would take forever. Simply make a proportion with the numbers in Francis John's video. Even with a hundred turbines you are looking at thousands of cycles. I've already tried direct steam chamber in a previous playthrough and got ore or less the same numbers as @JRup. With an initial cold mass of about 250 tons of water I was able to get less then a sixth of the magam biome in around 700 cycles, digging the solidified magma tile immediately.
It seems to be just too much heat to handle in a "legit" way, which honestly makes sense, it's the freaking core.

Escher on the other hand works very quickly, the only problem is that, due to viscosity, if you build a compressor on one side of the map, about a fourth of the magma will stay in place forming a mountain with slope 1X9. Nothing more compressors cannot fix.

Oh right. Well I'm sure my setup hasn't been going for that long, but maybe I just got distracted by other things and it's been longer that I thought. One thing that may have skewed things in my judgement, is that the seed I'm on, an Oceania, has got the magma biome split up by abyssalite. It's not one continuous section. I haven't seen it before but I haven't seen many seeds, so I don't know if it's common. Maybe that's why I've been able to solidify things and at some point soon I'll mine it out to make my lair. Here's a picture of the whole bottom of the map so you know what I mean. Would the fact it's split make it more manageable for you? I'm not really sure what your motivation is, but good luck.

Split MagmaBiome.jpg

14 hours ago, ZaphodCortez said:

Oh right. Well I'm sure my setup hasn't been going for that long, but maybe I just got distracted by other things and it's been longer that I thought. One thing that may have skewed things in my judgement, is that the seed I'm on, an Oceania, has got the magma biome split up by abyssalite. It's not one continuous section. I haven't seen it before but I haven't seen many seeds, so I don't know if it's common. Maybe that's why I've been able to solidify things and at some point soon I'll mine it out to make my lair. Here's a picture of the whole bottom of the map so you know what I mean. Would the fact it's split make it more manageable for you? I'm not really sure what your motivation is, but good luck.

Split MagmaBiome.jpg

I've never seen such a magma biome before either!! The fact that you have access to the bottom makes building a compressor much MUCH easier. Also, you basically have one third of the usual amount of magma!

In the end, i used Francis John's tecnicque to get to the bottom and then built a compressor. There were MANY mistakes, some of which involed fatal vertical magma explosions. It was honestly a bit too frustrating.since reloading takes forever on my 2k cycles base and building door after door takes forever too when you are building on the bottom of the map.
Then I've built 3 more compressors directly since every new one would free enough magma to build another one some tiles away at the cost of "some" scalded dupes (read as "everyone got roasted").

I can post a pic if anyone is interested, the approach basically works and is VERY fast once you get to the bottom of the magma biome with doors.
On the other hand, if anything goes wrong, you either reload or your base is gone.

4 hours ago, suxkar said:

fatal vertical magma explosions

So you've re-learned the lesson I'd posted prior ;-), don't take it the wrong way, I would dare say all this is fun that's been carefully built in by our friends that made the game. Just take the oil biome and the many "we've struck oil" experiences that are "auto" generated in that part of the map...

Empty vertical space is key to burrowing into magma,  displaced fluids go elsewhere but magma does go mainly straight up.

Archived