[Mod Progress Thread] Democratic Race

I'm not sure what you're trying to do there, but you're both using more words than you need, and putting in more effects than is reasonable.

"You are now connected!" is likely unnecessary. "Reach 4 stacks for help to be sent." is likely the only blue text you need. "The opponent must target this argument before anything else" is the only red text you need.

The "Describe the situation" card should just say "Gain 1 [connected line]. Opponent gains 1 impatience". Opponent also gaining extra impatience when the argument is destroyed is just too much.

I'm missing a bit of context here, so maybe what I'm saying is not quite what you're going for. If you feel what's happening is not clear, there's normally a short line during Negotiations that explains the goal of the negotiation (eg. "Convince Ban to help you"). You could add the context there, without cluttering the rest of the UI.

so this is an idea for a "negotiation boss". you use the negotiation opportunity to delay the opponent until you can call for help(just assume there's something like 911 in griftlands). in this special negotiation, the opponent's core argument is invulnerable, so you need to survive long enough to find "call for help" and play it. there are some "distraction" bounties that you can attack to help you survive the negotiation.

after calling for help, you then you need to spend actions to describe your situation, and that is represented by the increasing stacks of connected line. if the opponent found out about you calling for help(represented by them destroying that argument), they gain impatience, but they don't gain impatience when you play describe situation.

once you called for help, the help will arrive in 10 turns(might be more, might be less). if you don't lose the negotiation in this time, you win the negotiation. if you lose the negotiation before help arrives, you have to defend yourself in battle, and survive long enough for help to arrive(or just defeat them regularly, but you are likely using your starting deck, and the opponent is the day 2 assassin, so that might be hard).

once the help arrives, the opponent flees, and you win the "boss fight".

the thing is, all these must be represented in game, so if the descriptions are too abstract, the player might not know what's going on.

I’m generally of the opinion that if what you’re trying to do requires too much text for the player to understand, then you’re better off reworking the effect so that it doesn’t, rather than refining the explanation. But of course that’s annoying to do after the effect has been coded in.

In this case, I think the “send a secret call for help” and the “keep a person talking to you for X turns” are both cool ideas that should be split into two different negotiations. There’s too much going on, IMHO. If you really want both ideas, then the “call for help” should be simpler. Like, just set a 20 turn timer from the beginning, and call for help is an argument that decreases the timer by one extra turn while it’s on, but grants impatience when destroyed (then the card gets shuffled back into your deck or whatever).

Anyway, my 2 cents. Ultimately, it’s your mod.

well it's a "boss negotiation", so i want to make it more complex, and make the player complete multiple objectives. another difficulty lies in the fact that the opponent keeps accumulating impatience, so you must be very careful about what you do. the impatience resets between negotiations, so that's why i don't want to do two negotiations.

anyway, while i am testing, i realized how easy the day 2 boss is. well, at least zyn on prestige 0, anyway. you can literally beat him with your starting deck.

image.thumb.png.6fd1d1976e8b394f5447ed5c3b8c716f.png

due to the fact that a) i love mod ideas for griftlands, especially stories, b) you, RageLeague, helped me learn how to tinker with griftlands, and c) i just love negotiations and wished they had more prominence in comparison to battles (namely boss battles), i love the idea of this mod and wish it to prosper immensely. if you get this out before god damn smith...i think they'd have to hire you for klei entertainment.

as a result, i have this briefcase (spoiler) full of money to help fund the campaigns found in this campaign

Spoiler

Pictures of Money | Category | Monopoly Moneyimage.jpeg.7b8d02bac9ca34e84f09da466c201682.jpegMonopoly Money Tea Towels – HolyCool.netBitcoin is more like gold than a currency

Spoiler

...also i had an idea for a negotiation boss fight. no one looked at it since ideas don't garner that much attention. take anything you want from my idea, pick and choose, or just discard this spoiler entirely. i damn well know i won't be able to create anything by the time you make this entire campaign. i've just been tweaking names and maybe stats on cards because i'm scared of anything and everything in there and need at least 4 "the last unicorns" to brave myself for reading notepad. 

So yeah, take a look if you think it's good. i think it'd be good if you we're captured to be intimidated out of the race.

image.thumb.png.2d42f485be78b6d7ff3f9e45755bc634.png

Adding a support system to the campaign. Right now haven't figured out what to do with it. it's just there. it will increase if you do a side job well, and decrease if you don't. it will probably decrease over time to increase the difficulty, and symbolize the opposition.

i see.

so right now, "sidequest" are ways for your campaign. it's how you generate support among the people and potentially gain funding.

right now there's one side quest called "change my mind", where you sit in a booth, awaiting people to debate you. if you are successful, you use this opportunity to gain support(that has no purpose right now).

so i want ideas for quest that can generate support for you or generate funding for you. it doesn't have a giver, so you're doing a quest for your own good.

of course once i'm asked to spitball i run dry on ideas, but when no cares i have them flowing out the ears...

• The Admiralty is filled with unscrupulous characters. waltz into a facility and drum up support for your campaign. now you could just talk to everyone individually like an honest individual who thinks every vote matters or you could find someone like a patrol leader or maybe oolo and convince them specifically. getting them on your side might cause them to fudge a few votes or force a lot of the populace under their jurisdiction to vote for your agenda.
  • There's a hostage situation, and the spree are holding someone for ransom. Oh No! perfect chance to swoop in and show how benevolent you are! you could probably rip a bit of the "save the patrol leader" quest to here and just remove fights (maybe use the money you have to pay the ransom). with any luck, the victim will spread the word...or you can take illegitimate credit. wait for the forces to come in and save everyone before swooping in front of the cameras and crowd. you'll immediately be questioned, but the brutes are long gone, so you just have to spin a yarn about how awesome you we're and how single handedly you bust down that triple locked door with nothing but sheer tackling.
  • take a page from trump's book and inflate attention to one specific subject. get on your soapbox and talk about how "those damn rise are wasting daylight that could been spent doing an honest day's labor." to an audience of barons and admirality. someone will inevitably come over and think "wait a minute, that's outlandish and i don't like it very much!" and you'd have to convince them to a degree that they calm down without betraying your original audience.

image.thumb.png.677c734da2fbb5ecff86b56743fdc0b9.png

Now you can hang out with your friend! They will then either offer a boon service, or tell you a new location(right now it's temporary, and every faction can unlock any location in murder bay, because I'm considering changing the world map)

image.thumb.png.2cfc93bde0a8238f7d470cf317d53f64.png

Screenshot when they offer you boon service.

Archived