Just now, gaymime said:

if you main him then why are you openly discouraging his use, not mentioning any of his perks and trying to wrangle him into a playstyle he isn't designed around?

I'm not discouraging his use, I'm stating his problems when it comes to mostly early game if you want to use his perks. Just because he is not the strongest doesn't make him bad, but the person I replied to saying he is one of the strongest thanks to his buffs numbers and how people don't do math and jump straight to conclusion ignored how much it takes for him to be able to use any seasoning other than honey and that baffles me, specially if you want to season for multiple people too and not only yourself. If Warly could do that efficiently, wasting little to no time and buff an entire server or at least 3 people he then would be one of the strongest if not the strongest, but he can't unless you invest heavily on farms or at least stacks upon stacks of manure or have one, preferably two, specific characters to speed up his grinding for seasonings.

1 minute ago, Sweaper said:

he can't unless you invest heavily on farms or at least stacks upon stacks of manure or have one, preferably two, specific characters to speed up his grinding for seasonings.

who said he has to play solo? also basing within a half-day's walk of a beefalo herd makes manure an easier resource to acquire than rocks >_>; i have a sinkhole next to a pair of beefalo herds and i have more beef-pats than i can reasonably get through(i generally spend a full day each week refreshing my veg fridge for aubergines, tomas and filler veg) you are negating the 'together' part of don't starve together to make one point and are making a non-claim(in worlds where beefalo are not turned off or are extinct) to make the other

maybe you should consider just being a wigfried player instead? you can solo the game and eat all the consecutive perogis you'd like

My friend honey poultice always proved to be reliable. When I was Wormwood and the fuelweaver was acting sassy? Honey poultice soothed my wounds. When I was Warly and fuelweaver strangled my cook? Honey poulticed sedated my mind. When the dragonfly slapped me and burnt my crops? Honey poultice told me it's going to be fine. Honey poultice always was by my side.

Side note: Contrary to popular belief, Warly is not strong.

39 minutes ago, Sweaper said:

Yeah, it's not hard, it's time consuming. What is hard is getting his perks going without losing time.

And late game that becomes just annoying.

in late game you have a volt goat pen near base and enough chili and garlic seeds to make all the seasoning you need for years in one harvest

Just now, gaymime said:

who said he has to play solo? also basing within a half-day's walk of a beefalo herd makes manure an easier resource to acquire than rocks >_>; i have a sinkhole next to a pair of beefalo herds and i have more beef-pats than i can reasonably get through(i generally spend a full day each week refreshing my veg fridge for aubergines, tomas and filler veg) you are negating the 'together' part of don't starve together to make one point and are making a non-claim(in worlds where beefalo are not turned off or are extinct) to make the other

maybe you should consider just being a wigfried player instead? you can solo the game and eat all the consecutive perogis you'd like

Wicker and Wormwood aren't common enough, if they were it would be great, but reality isn't always bright.

Beefalos are too slow to produce manure WAY too slow, I'll just get 4-6 stacks of anything that can be turned into manure to get plenty of manure and make one farm and spam fertilize it until I get what I want before first winter comes if and only if I feel like playing gardener in a server otherwise I'll rush guardian, goat, water balloon and dfly. I could make 10 farms, but they aren't worth in public servers, specially considering that if you do that some random may pick your veggie and eat it before you can. Spamming manure you make sure it grows while you're there.

1 minute ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

in late game you have a volt goat pen near base and enough chili and garlic seeds to make all the seasoning you need for years in one harvest

In late game I have OP items that I'll just ignore Warly stuff altogether.

5 minutes ago, Sweaper said:

Wicker and Wormwood aren't common enough, if they were it would be great, but reality isn't always bright.

Beefalos are too slow to produce manure WAY too slow, I'll just get 4-6 stacks of anything that can be turned into manure to get plenty of manure and make one farm and spam fertilize it until I get what I want before first winter comes if and only if I feel like playing gardener in a server otherwise I'll rush guardian, goat, water balloon and dfly. I could make 10 farms, but they aren't worth in public servers, specially considering that if you do that some random may pick your veggie and eat it before you can. Spamming manure you make sure it grows while you're there.

In late game I have OP items that I'll just ignore Warly stuff altogether.

you said it was annoying, now that is useless because op items... ok you are right

is what you wanted

@Sweaper Your idea where Warly stands really confuses me. You say he sucks early game, then say he is annoying late game followed up with he is grindy. Isn't it just a personal problem at this point because you don't enjoy scavenging for resources?

I've made 2 row circular farms which is about 20+ improved farms on public. By the end of spring I made about 12 spicy powdercakes and half of it garlic spice without any wicker books. I use that strat so I would have time to do other things and not sit at one place fertilize a farm.

Late game he has every resource available at his grasp and literally becomes a buff machine for his teamates.

Idk, to me you are stating your opinion and then try to force it into a fact as how things really are. If that is how it is I can state my opinion too. Early game - not really a problem I could survive 1st winter with him in publics because of huge belly. Late game - cycle through meatballs once he is tired of the dish, switch to meaty stew or eggs (dishes are fairly easy to make). He is grindy, but then becomes buffs for the whole team.

Wormwoods like him because of grim galette and is the 2nd best method farming spooky wood (1st is Wortox souls).

Just now, ArubaroBeefalo said:

you said it was annoying, now that is useless because op items... ok you are right

is what you wanted

It was annoying, therefore I don't grind for it because I can live without the buffs they give me anyway. OP items just make it worse.

I think it's logical, if I find something annoying to do I'll think twice before doing it, if I see something (OP item) that makes the annoying thing trivial it just exacerbates that annoyance since I'll see less reasons to do menial tasks.

3 minutes ago, Sweaper said:

It was annoying, therefore I don't grind for it because I can live without the buffs they give me anyway. OP items just make it worse.

I think it's logical, if I find something annoying to do I'll think twice before doing it, if I see something (OP item) that makes the annoying thing trivial it just exacerbates that annoyance since I'll see less reasons to do menial tasks.

for you is annoying to farm veggies (isnt the most fun thing but how will you make a chef character without farming ingredients?) and that doesnt matter using it because you will get almost the same with items. Then all characters should be wilsons with skin since with wes or wigfrid doesnt matter anything because in late blablabla

its like you said with blow darts. Do you mind farming it to get a prize? if you mind dont do it

Is impossible to like the mechanics of every character but dont try to have reason just ignoring facts because you bored of farming in a farming game

2 minutes ago, KeshS said:

@Sweaper Isn't it just a personal problem at this point because you don't enjoy scavenging for resources?

Yes and no. I enjoy scavenging for things that will make scavenging faster if that makes sense. So I can do what I want to do, whatever that may be, without losing much time doing things I don't want to do. For example, let's say I join a server aiming to live on the sea. Because I usually only play for 2h I try to get either Woodie or Maxwell thanks to how fast they are at gathering wood and making the boat so I can do what I came for and be a fisherman for fun.

The reason I main Warly (unless I'm joining in winter) is because the perks he has that works in the early game works for what I mostly do in the servers I join in. Rushing guardian with him is pretty fast, I don't clean ruins so the lack of healing doesn't bother me, but I knowledge that it could be a very time consuming thing for Warly if you take damage in the ruins. The other thing is, with other characters if you decide to make pierogis in a public server you'll be in a queue for crockpots unless you build them yourself hidden somewhere, skipping that saves me time to do what I want to. And lastly, because I'm no kiting god I usually will make 1-2 goat jelly for Dfly, get some water balloons and ask people to join me and kill it. For these things, and some other Warly is great (not necessarily the best mind you), but you're using only a small fraction of his perks and the rest are behind a hefty grind wall.

Now, someone said that Warly was one of the strongest character in the game. Sure, I agree to a certain point. His buffs numbers screams OP, but because it comes with a cost it balances out the OPness of his perks. So, if you ignore the time to prep as Warly to make all his damage buffs he is OP, if you don't ignore the prep time he really isn't.

44 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

for you is annoying to farm veggies (isnt the most fun thing but how will you make a chef character without farming ingredients?) and that doesnt matter using it because you will get almost the same with items. Then all characters should be wilsons with skin since with wes or wigfrid doesnt matter anything because in late blablabla

its like you said with blow darts. Do you mind farming it to get a prize? if you mind dont do it

Is impossible to like the mechanics of every character but dont try to have reason just ignoring facts because you bored of farming in a farming game

Klei could make farm be less menial or more fun, stardew did it well. The "chef character" still has food recipes that doesn't require farms

Yes, in late your character doesn't matter as much. Everything becomes self sufficient and you do things for fun as always.

Yes, just like blow darts, that's why I say Warly isn't one of the strongest characters. By the time you're finishing farming buffing items so Warly downsides are lessened to have a better chance on the prize, others already have the prize.

Yeah, it's impossible. Yeah, usually I'm bored of farming, but even if I wasn't bored, farming takes time nonetheless and most of Warly perks are behind that time wall (and menial tasks).

Warly's good in theory. Awful when put in practice.

With a glance, reduced damage buff, increased damage buff, no wetness, swap sanity and health, more resources gathered in time, cold food, hot food!

But if we break it down to reach that point, it's quite a lengthy road.

First and foremost, farms. We need a lot of farms. And those aren't cheap to come by, and aren't so yielding. All these rocks, fertiliser, and grass going into one farm plot, and you'll need more than one farm plot. If there are more players into the lobby, you'll need even more to keep up with the demand. Then the farm plots don't grow in winter or summer, so two seasons you're forced to be on hold.

But it doesn't matter, we achieved the dream, 30 farm plots. It took time but they're finally here. Let's begin farming. You grow a crop and it's chilli pepper. You give it to the bird, the bird eats it, and gives you one chilli seed. So now we have to wait for another one chilli pepper to grow again, and be lucky enough this time the bird decides to give two.

But with enough time we hit it, 30 farm plots, 30 chilli, 20 chilli spice.

Now we do the same for garlic, which would take approximately the same time. But of course it will eventually happen.

Now it's time to make the volt jelly. For that we need horns, and take account how many players need that jello. The horn isn't very much a common drop, and depending on your luck and the amount of players, we might need to wait for the herd to reproduce again. There's also the matter of the weather pain, which you'll have to sacrifice in order to make the blue dish.

But we did it, in the end we did it. Spicy blue jello and garlic bacon and eggs, 6 pierogi on the side for Wicker and WX, with honey poultice to serve dear Warly. Sweet powder cakes for quick cutting. All wailing on wet toadstool.

Naturally, the giant frog is now a roast frog. But in the end you beg the question. Was all this work you put in worth it? Sixty days harvesting something other than mangoes, gambling with a bird, ignoring seasonal distractions. All to roast one giant frog in a destructive fashion? Couldn't we have done this faster with a better team composition? Yes, it would have been faster. Would it have been as fun though? No, it would have not.

And that's where Warly has his cake, he's fun. Mad fun.

15 minutes ago, Ryde said:

Then the farm plots don't grow in winter or summer, so two seasons you're forced to be on hold.

crops grow in summer with an iceflingomatic or in the caves, the only thing is if you are in surface they will get dry if you dont gather them

2 hours ago, KeshS said:

Early game - not really a problem I could survive 1st winter with him in publics because of huge belly. Late game - cycle through meatballs once he is tired of the dish, switch to meaty stew or eggs (dishes are fairly easy to make). He is grindy, but then becomes buffs for the whole team.

How would you survive with Warly during winter because of his huge belly, you can't survive 15 days with only that soon or later he will starve if you don't eat anything, also I never said surviving as him is a problem, using most of perks are time consuming which stops him from being one of the strongest character in the game, as I keep repeating someone said he was because "math" while that same person ignored to account for time to get the buffs he/she said was OP. Late game I'll eat raw honey because it's straight up faster.

"He is grindy, but then becomes buffs for the whole team." Nothing wrong with that.

41 minutes ago, Sweaper said:

How would you survive with Warly during winter because of his huge belly, you can't survive 15 days with only that soon or later he will starve if you don't eat anything,

you do what anyone with sense would do;

the last week of autumn you don't pick mushrooms or berries and you dry any meat/seaweed you get and you invest in long-life foods like dragonpie, tallbird eggs, glowberries, trail mix, birchnuts, fist full of jam(as a burner food to help you reset his recently eaten memory), jellybeans, butter, pumpkins and fishsticks

1 minute ago, gaymime said:

you do what anyone with sense would do;

the last week of autumn you don't pick mushrooms or berries and you dry any meat/seaweed you get and you invest in long-life foods like dragonpie, tallbird eggs, glowberries, trail mix, birchnuts, fist full of jam(as a burner food to help you reset his recently eaten memory), jellybeans, butter, pumpkins and fishsticks

3 days later the 10 people on the server ate those. You don't need to stock food for winter at all, plenty of meat, veggie and ice to find. And there is no reason to make fist full of jam to help reset his food timer after you get access to hambat, just eat meatballs and meat stew anyway, I doubt you would eat so many meaty stew that you screwed its hunger value.

What I asked with that question was to the person saying he could survive winter with just his big stomach is how they survive after that big stomach empties out after 2 days. You can't survive the entire winter with just a big stomach, unless that stomach was so huge that it would take 15 entire days to empty out.

7 minutes ago, gaymime said:

ok fine. you are right and warly is a rubbish character that oughtn't be used because he is so terrible that it is a chore to play as him and anyone who does try is dumb. :/ there. are you satisfied now?

I never said he is rubbish, quote me on that.

Edit: All I said up until now is that he is not one of the strongest character in the game if you consider time, contrary to what one person said and then I explained upon that.

51 minutes ago, Sweaper said:

What I asked with that question was to the person saying he could survive winter with just his big stomach is how they survive after that big stomach empties out after 2 days. You can't survive the entire winter with just a big stomach, unless that stomach was so huge that it would take 15 entire days to empty out.

Big stomach allows you to scavenge for more necessary resources and not worry about food for the MEANTIME. Idk why you thought Warly can go without food for the entire winter? Essentialy starting with 250 hunger + 33.5 creamy potato, which is roughly 3.78 days, not 2 days either. Essentially he can forget about food for 1/4 of the winter.

51 minutes ago, Sweaper said:

just eat meatballs and meat stew anyway, I doubt you would eat so many meaty stew that you screwed its hunger value.

At least finally you are agreeing to your own words that it isn't annoying to manage his hunger in any point of the game.

3 hours ago, Sweaper said:

Klei could make farm be less menial or more fun, stardew did it well.

I agree again, farms are tedious and require a lot of work. As for Warly himself, his kit is strong. Stat wise he is Wilson with 1.6666 times greater max hunger. If he gets garlic powder and chili flakes he is better than wigfrid in regards to absorbing damage (wig 25%, warly 33%), a bit short but still good on damage increase (wig 25%, warly 20%). His damage could also be amp up drastically with volt goat jelly under wet conditions. Best part is he can share the buffs with others. In terms of that statistics he is quite OP, maybe even the strongest, but needs some time to get there. But you will probably tell that Wolfgang doesn't need to wait and can destroy any boss by himself. Which is funny, because we never talked about which char is best to rush bosses, just what char is good in general in any point of the game.

It's not really pleasant to talk to dense people, so I am gonna just end this convo here before mods will put a hammer to the whole thread.

1 minute ago, KeshS said:

At least finally you are agreeing to your own words that it isn't annoying to manage his hunger in any point of the game.

In the late game it is, while other character can click once and get 6 honeys you need to either farm and fish or kill things.

2 minutes ago, KeshS said:

Big stomach allows you to scavenge for more necessary resources and not worry about food for the MEANTIME. Idk why you thought Warly can go without food for the entire winter? Essentialy starting with 250 hunger + 33.5 creamy potato, which is roughly 3.78 days, not 2 days either. Essentially he can forget about food for 1/4 of the winter.

This only works on the first few days, the longer you play as him the higher hunger rate will make him less efficient by numbers alone. And, after those first days anyone can stack up food on their inventory and carry food for 10~20 days, his big stomach are only useful on the very very beginning of the game, after that its higher stats doesn't matter.

On 7/16/2020 at 8:03 PM, Misuto said:

In fact, the current world record dragonfly unseeded speed run used Warly to kill her in less than 20 minutes. That run was mostly done with the strategy of you don't need to heal if you just don't get hit though, so not something easily executed by most players.

The current " World record solo speedrun Dragonfly" on Youtube is held by Joeshmocoolstuff, at 12:42 min ( but he doesnt called it  a "world record" ), and I saw players who finished dragonfly day 2 in klei server as Wolfgang before too. In the video solo with Warly, not only it is a frequently used strat by most players ( wall dragonfly and panflute), Warly used none of his buff nor his special food, how does that prove the point Warly is better to solo bosses (in this case Dragonfly) than just Wilson?.

Warly receives no penalty from using honey poultices, healing salves, or jelly beans.

He can only heal efficiently form honey poultice, healing salve, jelly beans (or tent), that is his penalty, not his perk, getting your hand on all of those and in large amount is extreme time consuming and even resources wasting when those can be utilize for better uses (imagine take all the paperus form wicker to heal for yourself)

He also comes with all the tools necessary to overcome his downsides

He does not come with all the tools necessary (his perks) for free, you have to grind for it, which is crucial point for new player want to try out: chilly, garlic flakes are hard to get during 1st autumn, and find salt early - for just healing, is a huge waste of precious time, consider Warly has to set up proper food sources and basing before winter. 

On 7/16/2020 at 8:26 PM, Misuto said:

Most people refuse to adapt or to do math.

People already pointed it out, consider the time grinding, it is wasting more time to spam alternative healing tiems: You can get your hand on 20 pierogies in a few days easy, but how does one player get 20 honey poutlices, or 40 healing slaves in the first 15 days of autumn? And normal player has to heal of other events not just for some bossrushes.

Those infomations seems to be bias and miss-leading, it was probaly made by an overly skilled player, to prove Warly is more viable than he already is. It isnt helpful to new player want to try out. Player has to consider Warly survival aspect first, before go to the boss fights aspect. He is good for sure, but he does not need to sound over-power, to be interesting.

14 hours ago, Resul said:

Hello. I never tried to play warly because of his food penalty. i wonder how do you guys kill bosses with warly ? healing foods loses their health benefit with every meal. doesnt its a problem to you ?

Its not a big deal tbh you can carry 3 stack of 3 different kind of health foods and season them with salt or garlic seasonings. I dont suggest that a lot but you can also eat grim galette for last hope if your sanity is max or more than your health. It switches your health and sanity values. Seriously its not a big deal to heal yourself while playing with Warly.

5 hours ago, Resul said:

Theres information much like an encyclopedie.

I never go on the seas or donest build farms for long time. 

Would you guys recommend me him or its  better i just go woodie ?

Living on the sea as Warly is a little bit harder than most characters, what really helps him is having one or 2 drying racks (if you manage putting 2, which now you can after the first winter) in the boat to transform fish into dried meat and make meaty stew with it, another thing is having a farm with onion (optionally tomatoes too) and a bird cage to make bouillon with fish bones. I also highly recommend getting ice whenever you can and put them in an icebox for food emergency.

With the last update you can now cook with leafy meat, I haven't looked them but it might be worth finding room on the boat for it too.

16 hours ago, KeshS said:

Essentialy starting with 250 hunger + 33.5 creamy potato, which is roughly 3.78 days, not 2 days either. Essentially he can forget about food for 1/4 of the winter.

Hey, don't forget about Warly's ability to become hungry 20% faster, meaning that he'll starve after 3.78 / 1.2 = 3.15 days.

Archived