Hello. I never tried to play warly because of his food penalty. i wonder how do you guys kill bosses with warly ? healing foods loses their health benefit with every meal. doesnt its a problem to you ?

Warly mains kinda rely on Spiced Volt Goat Jelly (+200% damage during rain) and Healing Salve or Jellybeans during boss fights. Or they just swap their character to Wolfgang before fighting a boss to get another +300% damage during the fight and not to suffer from Warly's penalties.

5 minutes ago, Resul said:

Hello. I never tried to play warly because of his food penalty. i wonder how do you guys kill bosses with warly ? healing foods loses their health benefit with every meal. doesnt its a problem to you ?

Having previous knowledge of the fight and carrying more kind of healing foods (not just a stack of pierogies) and healing salves/batbat. Also, if is a difficult fight, making his volt goat dish makes the fight so short that you will not need as many healing as other characters.

Also you have another 3 buffs, 1 for having more damage(that stacks with the electrical damage), a resistance buff that makes you receive less damage so you dont need to heal so often and the salt buff that makes healing food heal more

Its only a problem if you dont know the fight for that is recommended to have previous experience before playing warly

Warly receives no penalty from using honey poultices, healing salves, or jelly beans. He has no problem healing in a boss fight. In fact, the current world record dragonfly unseeded speed run used Warly to kill her in less than 20 minutes. That run was mostly done with the strategy of you don't need to heal if you just don't get hit though, so not something easily executed by most players. 

He also comes with all the tools necessary to overcome his downsides; salt allows him to heal 25% more hp per recipe eaten, garlic spice allows him to take 33% less damage, and volt goat jelly + chili spice for a minimum of 80% more damage and up to 300% damage against wet targets thus allowing him to end a fight up to 3x faster than the average character (and 50% faster than an unbuffed Wolfgang). All this adds up to make for a much easier boss fight.

Warly is one of the strongest characters in the game and fittingly he isn't easy to play. 

3 minutes ago, Misuto said:

Warly receives no penalty from using honey poultices, healing salves, or jelly beans. He has no problem healing in a boss fight. In fact, the current world record dragonfly unseeded speed run used Warly to kill her in less than 20 minutes. That run was mostly done with the strategy of you don't need to heal if you just don't get hit though, so not something easily executed by most players. 

He also comes with all the tools necessary to overcome his downsides; salt allows him to heal 25% more hp per recipe eaten, garlic spice allows him to take 33% less damage, and volt goat jelly + chili spice for a minimum of 80% more damage and up to 300% more against wet targets thus allowing him to end a fight up to 3x faster than the average character (and 50% faster than an unbuffed Wolfgang). All this adds up to make for a much easier boss fight.

Warly is one of the strongest characters in the game and fittingly he isn't easy to play. 

for that i dont get why people want even more buffs over him when his only problem is to farm his ""tools"" which a big part of it is crafting and taking care of farms.

when you have everything you need he becomes in one of the strongers characters.

So if you want a early character pick wendy or wigfrid but if you dont mind to make preparations pick warly

13 minutes ago, Misuto said:

salt allows him to heal 25% more hp per recipe eaten

Still not effective at all: e.g. Surf 'n' Turf grants only +15 health if salted, that's 10 health per used Salt Crystal, and it becomes even less the more often you use it as Warly or if you apply it on other dishes. Healing Salve grants +20 health per used Spider Glands and doesn't suffer from Warly's penalty.

16 minutes ago, Misuto said:

and volt goat jelly + chili spice for a minimum of 80% more damage and up to 300% more against wet targets

"300% more [damage] against wet targets" means 4x damage, which is not the case here.

13 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

for that i dont get why people want even more buffs

Most people refuse to adapt or to do math.

They see a character who can't spam pierogi, so they just call him bad instead of seeing a character who can heal more hp with 4 seasoned pierogi than your normal character (167.5 vs 160). They also don't see how that is effectively 250 healing when combo'd with a garlic seasoned dish. So 4 properly seasoned pierogi is effectively worth 57% more total healing than you'd get with a normal character.

They also fail to see how strong it is to just spam honey poultice. Each one is worth effectively 45 healing (more than a pieorgi) with the same length of animation to use as it takes to eat a meat dish. Honey is easy to farm and each poultice is just one paper to make with an infinite shelf life too. 

Just now, Viktor234 said:

Still not effective at all: e.g. Surf 'n' Turf grants only +15 health if salted, that's 10 health per used Salt Crystal, and it becomes even less the more often you use it as Warly or if you apply it on other dishes. Healing Salve grants +20 health per used Spider Glands and doesn't suffer from Warly's penalty.

75 healing for wasting an so easy resource to farm is worth, not neccesary but is a choice that we have, the second will heal arround 68, next arround 60... etc you dont need 4k healing in a fight if you know the fight

1 minute ago, Misuto said:

Most people refuse to adapt or to do math.

They see a character who can't spam pierogi, so they just call him bad instead of seeing a character who can heal more hp with 4 seasoned pierogi than your normal character (167.5 vs 160). They also don't see how that is effectively 250 healing when combo'd with a garlic seasoned dish. So 4 properly seasoned pierogi is effectively worth 57% more total healing than you'd get with a normal character.

They also fail to see how strong it is to just spam honey poultice. Each one is worth effectively 45 healing (more than a pieorgi) with the same length of animation to use as it takes to eat a meat dish. Honey is easy to farm and each poultice is just one paper to make with an infinite shelf life too. 

He takes a lot more time to get going. While Wolfgang killed everything during autumn, Warly has to do a lot more menial tasks for healing and damage boost unless you're one of the very few players that can kite everything really really well without any speed boost, but then any character can do what Warly does during the first 2 hours of gameplay.

Late game his downside becomes annoying for most people, you can't just chug honey down your throat, you need to keep making meaty stews every now and then.

And every one knows his perks are great number wise, there is no denying that. The problem is taking the time to get those and the majority of people don't like to to go way out of their way just to make his exclusive items. By the time you mined salt a wolf killed a thing or two.

Warly's food penalty is not that bad during boss fights. A fully buffed Warly (Volt Goat Chaud-Froid, pepper+garlic spice) has more damage reduction than Wigfrid, and more damage than everyone but Wolfgang (he even surpasses Wolfgang if the target is wet). This generally makes the fights shorter and healing less necessary. Warly also doesn't have a penalty for using non-food healing items, and you can bring a variety of different  healing foods for the battle (I like to bring two of each, since if you eat the same food twice, the second will be only 10% less effective, which is mostly alright).

In believe OP asked for strategies and recipes Warly might benefit from in all stages of game-play in achieving various feats, mostly taking down bosses as efficient as a Warly could (with inherent boss-particularities). Not about how viable Warly is in relation to other characters and whatnot. While myself am not a Warly player, I would enjoy reading what Warly-mains have to add on the matter (and, again, not how viable Warly is). Ty!

1 hour ago, Sweaper said:

He takes a lot more time to get going. While Wolfgang killed everything during autumn, Warly has to do a lot more menial tasks for healing and damage boost unless you're one of the very few players that can kite everything really really well without any speed boost, but then any character can do what Warly does during the first 2 hours of gameplay.

Late game his downside becomes annoying for most people, you can't just chug honey down your throat, you need to keep making meaty stews every now and then.

And every one knows his perks are great number wise, there is no denying that. The problem is taking the time to get those and the majority of people don't like to to go way out of their way just to make his exclusive items. By the time you mined salt a wolf killed a thing or two.

for that we have variety of characters. If you want an easy and quick playstyle there is wolfgang and wigfrid; if you have a more complicate run you can choose wes, wormwood, maxwell or walter; if you want  a run that needs more elaboration you pick warly or wurt; etc

this is not a competitive game so having character that makes things more faster, slow, difficult, easy or whatever is to have choices not to balance the game like it was a pvp or something

I enjoy having a relaxed gameplay if was playing a more agressive character for that sometimes i pick wormwood, to play less yolo

edit: its like people comparing maxwell with woodie, they both gather but have more perks than that so one isnt useless or trash just because the other exists

40 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

-

I was mostly talking about this

"Most people refuse (...) to do math. "

His numbers aren't great if you take in consideration time and grinding. All I see for garlic, salt and pepper seasonings are ways to fix his downside in combat for the average player. EDIT: that fix comes at a cost of your time.

And then you have people saying Warly is one of the strongest character in the game, if he were he would be the easiest to play as, not the hardest.

2 hours ago, Misuto said:

21 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

In believe OP asked for strategies and recipes Warly might benefit from in all stages of game-play in achieving various feats, mostly taking down bosses as efficient as a Warly could (with inherent boss-particularities). Not about how viable Warly is in relation to other characters and whatnot. While myself am not a Warly player, I would enjoy reading what Warly-mains have to add on the matter (and, again, not how viable Warly is). Ty!

Not a warly main but I play with one. The secret to making warly better is that he excels in a team environment when a celestial portal is available. Doing him solo is a massive pain in the ass because you go from 10% of your time managing food to 50% of your time managing food, but if you have a teammate to either enable you to stay at base while they go do other stuff or to speed up food development (wicky, wormy) then it becomes a lot easier.

Recipe-wise, don’t underestimate his unique recipes. Moqueca and Bone Bouillon are great for hunger, Moqueca/Souffle/galette for sanity/health. Obv use these in tandem with other recipes, which ought to get easier once the leafy meat recipes are added.

20 minutes ago, Sweaper said:

And then you have people saying Warly is one of the strongest character in the game, if he were he would be the easiest to play as, not the hardest.

Obviously remembering different kinds of recipes is a lot harder than having built in passives like wolf.

If your argument is that Warly is not a good speedrunner for bosses (thus he is weak) then you are absolutely correct and there are much better options.

I think Warly is much stronger char if he starts at spring, because winter really delays the rush for farming food. There is also yt vid where Warly can rush ruins without crafting a science machine. If that isn't enough to convince his kit is strong, idk what is.

Juggling from meatballs to meaty stew isn't hard either. His hunger debuff is annoying at first, but then its problem diminishes once you know how to recycle food.

11 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

if you only press F to win you will get hit so you will have that problems that you talk about

Others can press F to win with a lot less problems than Warly.

A good analogy for Warly is that he is a blow dart, great if you're okay grinding to benefit from it.

9 minutes ago, KeshS said:

I think Warly is much stronger char if he starts at spring, because winter really delays the rush for farming food. There is also yt vid where Warly can rush ruins without crafting a science machine. If that isn't enough to convince his kit is strong, idk what is.

I always said he had 2 good dishes in other threads, glowberry and goat. Because they are easy to make for what they give. Everything else is meh to average. And other characters can rush ruins without science machine too.

4 minutes ago, Sweaper said:A good analogy for Warly is that he is a blow dart, great if you're okay grinding to benefit from it.

Or, if you play as wickerbottom for a year before you start using the celestial portal, everything in the game becomes easier :wilson_cool:

5 minutes ago, KeshS said:

Juggling from meatballs to meaty stew isn't hard either. His hunger debuff is annoying at first, but then its problem diminishes once you know how to recycle food.

Yeah, it's not hard, it's time consuming. What is hard is getting his perks going without losing time.

And late game that becomes just annoying.

5 minutes ago, Sweaper said:

snip

i take it you don't really know anything about warly do you? he has access to an early(first day and portable) crockpot, he has exclusive recipes like glow-berry mousse which is a hands-free two-day torch, he can buff other characters EVEN WHEN HE IS NOT IN PLAY and he has the second highest base hunger stat of all the characters as well as a health and sanity stat that is comparable to all of the other standard-to-easy characters. add to that the fact that he comes with +5/7 extra slots in his inventory(solo and together respectively) AND those slots have reduced decay and your claims fall flat. you clearly just think he is grindy and hard because you are too frightened to play outside of the meta and he isn't designed around the meta

Just now, gaymime said:

i take it you don't really know anything about warly do you? he has access to an early(first day and portable) crockpot, he has exclusive recipes like glow-berry mousse which is a hands-free two-day torch, he can buff other characters EVEN WHEN HE IS NOT IN PLAY and he has the second highest base hunger stat of all the characters as well as a health and sanity stat that is comparable to all of the other standard-to-easy characters. add to that the fact that he comes with +5/7 extra slots in his inventory(solo and together respectively) AND those slots have reduced decay and your claims fall flat. you clearly just think he is grindy and hard because you are too frightened to play outside of the meta and he isn't designed around the meta

I main him, I know these. His 2 day hunger let me go straight to Guardian after I get enough flint. But he is grindy in the long term besides glowberry dish and goat dishes as I said if you want to play around his perks.

Archived