If I'm honest I can't find anything in the early game and even past his early game, worth of picking Warly over basically any other character. Warly's early game sucks, and his buffs are too grindy even at the late game.

He is, technically speaking, the best at everything and probably one of the best designed characters, but realistically, the real numbers we have (mostly because of how farming works right now) and the amount of time it takes for him to reach a balance point where he can craft spiced foods and special foods as much as it is needed, come too late for it to shine.

Also he has no personal perk beyond "making" the food and the spices, which is always a bad thing since it puts him in the ""switch character" status.

Warly needs 2 things:

- Farming needs to be improved, not just for him, for everyone. Even a simple change as making birds produce 2 seeds out of a single vegetable every time (currently the second seed has rng chances), would be a huge buff for warly.

- Warly needs a personal perk to make him worth staying and playing the game, instead of moving to any other. I always suggest the same thing: the food's time related special effects should last a lot longer on him (x1.5 or even x2 times compared to any other average character). These effects include the glowing of glowberrymousse, the cold resistance, the overheat resistance, the damage buff, the defense buff, the electric buff, the worker buff, the jellybeans healing effect, etc.

OP asks for help playing Warly and got 3 pages of people arguing about his viability. I think there was only one or two comments helping him out. Well, at least those comments said just about everything that needed to be said.

29 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

If I'm honest

Yep, exactly. Most of Warly's kit is a net loss of time instead of net gain. His only trying-really-hard benefits are glow berry mousse, honey crystals, and some volt goat chaud-froid peppered in occassionally. He's a ton of fun to play and my second most played character, but I wouldn't pick him if I wanted to do really well.

28 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

If I'm honest I can't find anything in the early game and even past his early game, worth of picking Warly over basically any other character. Warly's early game sucks, and his buffs are too grindy even at the late game.

He is, technically speaking, the best at everything and probably one of the best designed characters, but realistically, the real numbers we have (mostly because of how farming works right now) and the amount of time it takes for him to reach a balance point where he can craft spiced foods and special foods as much as it is needed, come too late for it to shine.

Also he has no personal perk beyond "making" the food and the spices, which is always a bad thing since it puts him in the ""switch character" status.

Warly needs 2 things:

- Farming needs to be improved, not just for him, for everyone. Even a simple change as making birds produce 2 seeds out of a single vegetable every time (currently the second seed has rng chances), would be a huge buff for warly.

- Warly needs a personal perk to make him worth staying and playing the game, instead of moving to any other. I always suggest the same thing: the food's time related special effects should last a lot longer on him (x1.5 or even x2 times compared to any other average character). These effects include the glowing of glowberrymousse, the cold resistance, the overheat resistance, the damage buff, the defense buff, the electric buff, the worker buff, the jellybeans healing effect, etc.

I couldn't agree more. Farming is too grindy which makes Warly practically rely on the kindness of someone else playing Wormwood. I don't mind them having synergy obviously, but between the relatively high cost for an improved farm plus the seed RNG, its just not practical without a Wormwood.

As far as buffing Warly directly, I have really grown to like your idea of extended timers for Warly. I saw that suggestion awhile back and I have been thinking about it ever since. It makes sense for him to "appreciate" a well seasoned dish more so getting extra duration is definitely feasible. That and I'd like him to have a few more spices all together. Something useful outside of combat would be cool, like the honey spice.

38 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

The other problem stems is that Wickerbottom completely overshadows Warlys potential. She is the character that defeats grind and makes it instant, because of that Warly potential is downplayed. Example, if Bearger spawned on day 1 Autumn there wouldn't be a need for tree choppers like woodie or maxwell since he outshines them both. This type of extreme imbalance between instant spawn and long grind should be addressed and have a common solid ground in-between. I don't want the devs to touch Warly, because I really think the kit is outstanding and I fear that if they touch too much he can become efficient, but also dull (like Wolfgang).

Honestly the bird cage is the only thing that really needs looked at farms can be very quickly made once you get access to either kolephant, light bulbs, or stone fruit.

That aside I feel the bigger issue is unlike other characters Warly doesn't trivialize gameplay out the gate.

You've got wicker bottom who trivializes resource management.

Wolfgang Wigfrid and to a much larger extent Wendy who do so for combat while also trivializing sanity.

Wortox doing so for healing and teleporting.

Wormwood doing this for both farming and living logs

Webber doing this for hunger in general 

Wx doing this by turning gears into a good healing source in the ruins

Walter doing this for exploration

At no point does Warly do this in the early game while he does have perks most of the players on a pub server tend to stick around for till late winter. The supposed endgame(roughly 4 hours) is when his full kit will be available and anything short of kiel allowing the majority's of his kit to be useable within the first 10 days will probably be met with lukewarm reaction as that's how the majority of the cast functions as well as the top player picks. While I don't agree this is the direction this is how i see things going.

1 hour ago, KeshS said:

The other problem stems is that Wickerbottom completely overshadows Warlys potential. She is the character that defeats grind and makes it instant, because of that Warly potential is downplayed. Example, if Bearger spawned on day 1 Autumn there wouldn't be a need for tree choppers like woodie or maxwell since he outshines them both. This type of extreme imbalance between instant spawn and long grind should be addressed and have a common solid ground in-between. I don't want the devs to touch Warly, because I really think the kit is outstanding and I fear that if they touch too much he can become efficient, but also dull (like Wolfgang).

Wickerbottom destroys grind, but that's mostly all she can do. Outside of that she's a boring character, whereas Warly, design wise, should never be a boring character since you sort of have a special food for every situation, the skill to make said dishes on the go, and it requires the knowledge and wits of the player to know a lot of recipes, and adapt them according to what you have.

Improving Warly will make him more fun to stay as and fulfill his role as the "portable chef", instead of making him a late game luxury of already rich players to craft a few stacks of spiced things and then never return as him.

- Warly's Garlic Spice can, essentially, make a 70% damage reducing armor into an 80% damage reducing armor (and a 60% into, I think, a 73%) because of the spice's internal armor and how it works with the normal armor. Armors like the Cookie Cutter Cap, Bee Queen Crown, Bone Helm, and Scalemail work best for Warly due to the way that the garlic spice works with them and offers far more durability than normal armors; and I myself often equip scalemail for this reason because (correct me if I'm wrong) it can absorb more damage than any other armor in the game (a shame that it's a hazard because it lights enemies on fire, but oh well).

- It's very beneficial to season Powdercakes and keep them on you as they never spoil, and you can eat one whenever you have a need for the benefits. I saw this bit of advice on the forums awhile back (I cannot remember who mentioned it unfortunately) so I take no credit for this one.

- I always keep a fishing rod and a boomerang on me at all times for both easy morsels and reliable freshwater fish. Very handy when you need one more morsel for Meaty Stew on the go, or for things like Surf "n" turf.

1 minute ago, Owlrus98 said:

- It's very beneficial to season Powdercakes and keep them on you as they never spoil, and you can eat one whenever you have a need for the benefits. I saw this bit of advice on the forums awhile back (I cannot remember who mentioned it unfortunately) so I take no credit for this one.

you can also use on jellybeans so you can carry with you the jellybeans you normaly with buffs

The issu

3 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Wickerbottom destroys grind, but that's mostly all she can do. Outside of that she's a boring character, whereas Warly, design wise, should never be a boring character since you sort of have a special food for every situation, the skill to make said dishes on the go, and it requires the knowledge and wits of the player to know a lot of recipes, and adapt them according to what you have.

Improving Warly will make him more fun to stay as and fulfill his role as the "portable chef", instead of making him a late game luxury of already rich players to craft a few stacks of spiced things and then never return as him.

The real issue is Warly doesn't fit the don't starve together experience which mainly boils down to playing in autumn and winter due to how long seasons take sure there will be people who play a full year on pubs but that's about 9 Hours which understandably most people don't want to do in a single session which also in turn ends up meaning dst discourages characters that require investments like Warly and Wurt but this issue is worse in Warly's case his dishes will always make you better this is true no matter what end game items you get but it's the fact you have to wait till spring to use this potiental that's off putting and the only fixes that would make a actual impact involve further breaking balances.

Make farms extremely cheap craft completely ruining one of Wormwood's selling point

Make mobs that drop crafts on land also hurting Wormwood

Or give Warly a perk that's instantly powerful and relevant but then that would make him a super man.

3 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

A personal perk which gives slows down the spoilage of items located in his backpack (similar to the Insulated Pack) would fit better to his old Shipwrecked perk, which got nerfed to the ground since it can be shared between players. It can also be still useful in lategame since the Insulated Pack will make dishes spoil even slower than in the Ice Box, and the Krampus Sack will allow you to keep 14 ingredients fresh at once (or be a combination of Insulated Pack and Krampus Sack, since it's pretty unlikely that you'll need that many ingredients that late in the game). That should also allow him to eat more (Food stays longer fresh) instead of less (Less Food required for the same amount of effect).

Warly's Chef Pouch is also barely useful to him: He's supposed to carry more ingredients around, not less. It might become a backpack with 10 slots but only able to contain food or seasonings, making it more useful to Warly while less useful to other characters who profit better from it than Warly.

6 hours ago, Viktor234 said:

A personal perk which gives slows down the spoilage of items located in his backpack

I don't like the idea of a perk that only functions if you use a specific item and does absolutely nothing otherwise. Especially one that takes your chest slot and drops on the floor when you unequip it.

On 7/17/2020 at 11:58 AM, FuriousChimera said:

The current " World record solo speedrun Dragonfly" on Youtube is held by Joeshmocoolstuff, at 12:42 min ( but he doesnt called it  a "world record" )

That run is seeded so your information is irrelevant. As you even quoted, I clearly stated "unseeded" run, AKA a randomly generated world. I also clearly stated that we didn't use the Warly perks I just chose to use the strategy of "git gud" where I just didn't take damage and thus did not need healing items. The OP asked how do we kill bosses as Warly. I answered. I see no problem here aside from your misunderstanding that Joe did seeded runs. 

how does that prove the point Warly is better to solo bosses (in this case Dragonfly) than just Wilson?.

That wasn't the point. The point of the  topic (if you go back and properly read the question the OP aske rather than making up your own question and assuming the topic is based on that) is how do people kill bosses as Warly - which I properly answered. I just don't get hit. Then I added more information. 

This topic is not about Warly being OP or UP or just right. The topic is asking how do you kill bosses as Warly. Anything else is just off topic and ignoring the OPs question. Please stay on topic and add useful information or stop wasting people's time and energy. 

Archived