Which DLC character is more worth buying?

On this sale, it'd be nice to get a DLC character, but I don't know which one to pick. I don't know if I'd like to get Wortox since I have a friend that told me he was kind of op. But yeah, which one do you think makes the DST experience best?

12 minutes ago, CameoAppearance said:

If you own singleplayer DS, I'd say Wormwood because you can buy Hamlet and get a whole new gameplay mode and two other  characters to play in it plus Wormwood for DST at the same time. 

If you only own DST though, my vote is for Wortox.

I think this only applies to PC.. I’m not sure though.

22 minutes ago, Pikapikap said:

I bought all dlc characters and their skins.I can spend money to be happy and support Klei. Why not? of course, this is my personal thought. I do not represent others.

QQ图片20200627085255.png

QQ图片20200627085313.png

Way to flex on a guy who was just asking who is worth spending money on.

I, personally, would recommend Wormwood, Wurt is a mess, Wortox is over powered (which I guess can be fun? But whats the point in Don't Starve?), and Wormwood is a unique challenge character.

10 minutes ago, Ogrecakes said:

I, personally, would recommend Wormwood, Wurt is a mess, Wortox is over powered (which I guess can be fun? But whats the point in Don't Starve?), and Wormwood is a unique challenge character.

I have already said that this is my personal approach. Buying all is my approach. I have not asked others to do this.Because for me they are all worth buying. What's wrong?

I think it depends on how you wish to play the game.

If you love to fight and have great heals to continue fighting, Wortox is your pick.

If you love to manage things/base/food and support your friends, Wormwood is for you.

If you love to play alone in a swamp and wondering why tf you play alone in Don't Starve TOGETHER, Wurt is begging to be played by you.

:-D

My preferences Wortox > Wormwood >>>>>> Wurt. 

Wormwood is the most challenging, and if you don't have an easy time surviving with the other characters, and if you play in solo worlds, you might have a bit of a frustrating time as Wormwood.

Wortox is certainly the "most OP" with the healing and soul hopping. Wortox also has a harder time with hunger and sanity.

Wurt is definitely the solo player's choice. With Wurt you can have a VERY different experience in DST, but she's not a team player. With Wurt you are motivated to base in a way and place other characters wouldn't (in a Swamp and surrounded by your Merm guards). She also likes building a boat early game to get seaweed and crown a Merm King. She's awesome. But do pay attention to everyone else recommending against her. It's not a popular character.

10 minutes ago, Pikapikap said:

I have already said that this is my personal approach. Buying all is my approach. I have not asked others to do this.Because for me they are all worth buying. What's wrong?

Because you came to a thread asking which character out of them is worth buying, and you come in and say "I bought all of them because I can"

It's both boasting, and not being helpful to the thread at all.

It's like people who ask about Mac support for games and get people who come on and say "MAC SUCKS MY OPERATING SYSTEM IS BETTER"

12 minutes ago, Ogrecakes said:

Because you came to a thread asking which character out of them is worth buying, and you come in and say "I bought all of them because I can"

It's both boasting, and not being helpful to the thread at all.

It's like people who ask about Mac support for games and get people who come on and say "MAC SUCKS MY OPERATING SYSTEM IS BETTER"

First of all, I didn’t say which character is very good or bad,Because I think they all have their own characteristics.and every one of my dlc characters has used it. I like them.If you mean that this thread refers to buying only one dlc character, maybe I misunderstood what he meant, but I didn’t brag about anything.

My personal favorite of the three dlc characters you can buy.. is Wortox, I mean I like dark and spooky things so murdering stuff and using its soul to heal myself or others around me & bend space and time With my soul hops it just fits naturally for me.

But this comes from a Wendy Main who enjoys ghost whispering into her sisters flower to command her to wreck stuff for me.

Wurt is very fun- people don’t recommend her because she’s not useful in A team based game, since the largest majority of people I play with on Xbox run around doing their own thing.. Wurt is a natural fit for me. building her own massive army, living off veggies.. carrying pet fish around for free sanity she’s unique.

Wormwood- Wormwood is meant to be a “challenge” character I guess...??? But as someone who plays some of the most brutally hardcore survival simulators you can name Wormwood isn’t all that challenging to me- Once you understand that Food items don’t heal Wormwood at all (an effect that should apply to EVERYONE not just Wormwood...) and you know how counter that (sleeping in tents, or utilizing the games ACTUAL Healing Tab...) Then Even the “Challenge” character Wormwood becomes trivial to you.

————————————

so the TL:DR- Wortox is amazing all around both for Solo and Team based Play.

Wurt is only Amazing by herself..

and Wormwood would be considered too challenging for a casual player, but once mastered is arguably even more OP then Wortox, Free Armor, Free Defensive Traps, Free Food planted anywhere you want it... You can’t deny that Wormwood is Op.

Bare in mind, anyone you ask will only give their opinions. Some may say Wurt is garbage, Wortox is ok, and Wormwood is OP; but again, anyone could be right about their observations.

From my own observations and in some cases my own opinion, here's a few things to note about the 3 choices:

[Wurt]

• She has relatively late-game benefits (Merm King, Flortifications, and Merm Guards for example)
  • She has a strict diet of vegetable products (which pairs very well with dried kelp in my opinion) which can prove to be a challenge in its own right
  • She has no access to Pigs or the Pig king, which adds another level of complexity

Wurt is by all means a "late-bloomer" in the sense that, while she gets a multitude of perks later on in the game, she bares the weight of her cons much sooner. Therefore, if you're looking for an instant-gratification character, you may not find it in Wurt. However she can be a great character to play long-term if you wish to go down that path, and her merm companions offer a great amount of utility as well.

[Wortox]

• His soul hop can be utilized in many ways and is useful for players who wish to shorten journeys or add a little spice to their fighting.
  • Souls are relatively cheap to come across, and many other characters can easily aid you in getting more.
  • His healing makes him a very strong support character, and pairs very well with many other characters such as Wormwood
  • He gains only half benefits from foods, meaning you will need a strong sense of resourcefulness to play as him.

Wortox is, in some regards, a forgiving character in the sense of his healing abilities traversal benefits. He is by all means a support character but can really fall into any category you choose; also he works best with other players in terms of what he can do. If you can get around the food penalty you may thoroughly enjoy his playstyle.

[Wormwood]

• Since his health is not affected by food, you will need to be conscious about how you fight and also the types of foods to eat. I should mention that Red Caps work perfectly for him just like a carrot, allowing you to leave other foods for your allies
  • One of Wormwoods strongest assets (if you value the following) is his Bramble Husk, allowing him to, not only negate damage from his traps, but also to negate any damage from picking Cacti and Spiky Bushes as well; both of which give him amazing access to both sanity and non-diseased twigs that grow year round.
  • Food is not too much of an issue considering that he can plant seeds, and he can easily sustain multiple people with his crops early on.

Wormwood is definitely a character that requires you to know what you're doing, and he provides a pretty powerful challenge in his lack of healing from foods (of which I personally recommend starting a Bee Box farm to rectify if you choose him). That said, his benefits seem useful all year-around with his bramble husk and what-not. Since you can use his Husk as any character and still gain the benefits, I will say that he is very useful for using prior to playing other characters. Wormwood offers a great challenge for those looking to change up their playstyle, and he offers great utility in his perks that can greatly benefit an entire team if done right. No team, in my opinion, is complete without a Wormwood.

2 hours ago, Ogrecakes said:

Can you elaborate on how wurt is a mess?

29 minutes ago, Intrepidpioneer said:

I don't know if I would go that far, but mechanically she has a lot of different abilities that don't interact with each other, her perks have a lot of missed opportunities to give mechanical weight to her being a fish/frog person (like, she doesn't drop tools when she's soaking wet or take health penalties from falling in the ocean and washing ashore, but she still loses sanity from wet equipment like the humans/robots/non-aquatic monsters do), and while she gets a big stat boost from having a Merm King alive it takes a lot of work to get one and keep him from starving and after all that his effects don't extend to the caves.

1 hour ago, Intrepidpioneer said:

Disjointed, non synergistic gameplay with no real depth.

Shes a vegetarian, with no farming synergy. Since she just gains lots bonus stats for vegetables it's hardly much of an issue keeping her hunger high.

There are very few worthwhile vegetarian crockpot dishes so she isn't much fun for people who like the crock pot mechanics.

The Merm King trades mostly trash for fish, and Wurt has no fishing synergy.

He's also just a stat boost, and isn't really good for much else. She's like a disjointed Wolfgang, instead of feeding yourself you have to keep feeding the Merm King, which means you are punished for leaving for long periods of time.

She can recruit merms, but she doesn't lack any combat or gathering skills to make it important for her in any way.

Her merms are pigs, but pickier about what they will eat, since you can just feed monster meat (the most common and abundant food) to pigs.

Shes a "base builder" with 2 variations of Merms that accomplish the same thing, and that's all she gets.

In my opinion Wortox and Wormwood are both unique and challenge characters, they are both worth buying (but I weaved the first one for reforged only lol). But Wortox is more a team player due to his soul healing, while Wormwood is good solo farmer and food provider.

Wurt is not worth it's money/spools at all - all her content can be replaced with pigs and bunnymans (literally), and she have the biggest disadvantage of all characters - vegetarianism, which can cause problems if you did not build a bunnyman farm/found stone fruits during the first autumn.

1 hour ago, Ogrecakes said:

Disjointed, non synergistic gameplay with no real depth.

aw man, I gotta HARD disagree with "no depth". Basing on the swamp surrounded by guards and feeling like home cause when I leave I lose speed, making sure I make meals for the whole family (me + the king I FREAKING CROWNED AS A BABY) while fishing to trade fish for rot and tentacle spots, and then hiring said guards to chop inordinate amounts of wood during the night, over night, while farming...

Is a wild time.

After playing Wurt for alot of hours and talking with friends about her I feel like the big issue Wurt has is she doesn't really have a defining good trait as much as it pains me to say it every character who has a perk tied to existing features either has a stronger version of it or a cheaper cost effective variant her main focus is merms but they are not cheaper than bunnymen, stronger, or more useful. The fishing update also made wurt a nightmare as since fish don't stack you have to either base near a pond or try to kill merms for fish.

Then there's the merm king he require a fair resource sink but the payout us asking who allows a new unit that requires you to feed it the king who gives bad rewards for a time consuming process.

And for her teamplay her followers and the merm king don't offer anything that benefits a group of survivors so clever disguise never seems to have a point.

In the end aside from the merm king Wurt doesn't add anything truly new to the game and since her main focus the merms are more costly, time consuming, and weaker than existing mobs and character perks she lacks a selling point outside of her theme.

10 hours ago, sinisterrkid said:

Wormwood is the most challenging, and if you don't have an easy time surviving with the other characters, and if you play in solo worlds, you might have a bit of a frustrating time as Wormwood.

Wortox is certainly the "most OP" with the healing and soul hopping. Wortox also has a harder time with hunger and sanity.

Wurt is definitely the solo player's choice. With Wurt you can have a VERY different experience in DST, but she's not a team player. With Wurt you are motivated to base in a way and place other characters wouldn't (in a Swamp and surrounded by your Merm guards). She also likes building a boat early game to get seaweed and crown a Merm King. She's awesome. But do pay attention to everyone else recommending against her. It's not a popular character.

Wurt is one of the most usefull for a team since you can farm different types of food(monster meat, fish, frog legs ans kelp), silk, glands, mosquitoes sacks and wood in the same place. The only requeriment is to have a separate place for your multitask farm so merms doesnt mess with your non merm players

6 hours ago, sinisterrkid said:

aw man, I gotta HARD disagree with "no depth". Basing on the swamp surrounded by guards and feeling like home cause when I leave I lose speed, making sure I make meals for the whole family (me + the king I FREAKING CROWNED AS A BABY) while fishing to trade fish for rot and tentacle spots, and then hiring said guards to chop inordinate amounts of wood during the night, over night, while farming...

Is a wild time.

You're desceibing pigs, but less efficient.

Thats not depth.

9 minutes ago, Ogrecakes said:

You're desceibing pigs, but less efficient.

I agree with some of the bad aspects of Wurt, but not with the merms being less efficient:

• They are available 24/7 and never sleep, unlike the other mobs
  • Unlike pigs just chopping during the day, merms chop trees and also mine. And as said above they work 24/7 so it lets you gather much more in a full day, for your invested recruitment food.
  • They move faster than the other mobs, and the warrior merms deal more damage
  • I know the fact that merms kite is seen as bad compared to bunnymen, but I've found its better for you to also fight. Bunnymen clutter enemies, sometimes wont let you move, and they most likely die all at once by aoe, merms survive much more things and if you fight as well as if you were alone, most boss fights will be a walk in the park.
  • Warrior merms don't freak out over powerful screeches of bosses

Wurt is not so bad, its probably as mentioned earlier not the best of the 3 DLCs. Wurt also manages to become a super strong late game character, even in multiplayer settings where showing up with 20 warrior merms to battles deals more DPS than a Wolfgang

The order I'd get them would be:

1. Wortox: easier pick, super powerful mobile character, good for nomad playstyle, good for multiplayer, decent for solo.
  2. Wormwood: base character, farmer simulator, sort of challenge character. Good for multiplayer, okay-ish for solo. I personally don't like Wormwood at all and according to my personal playstyle I'd pick him last instead, but I agree that he is more stable than Wurt, specially early game, so trying to be as neutral as possible, I rank him higher.
  3. Wurt: Base character, weak early game, super powerful late game. Its mostly a solo character. It can work in multiplayer if you play on closed servers, or long lasting public servers with friends, but you will find yourself playing alone and doing your own things 90% of the time. If your thing is casual hopping into public servers, or nomad gamestyle, Wurt is the worst pick. If your thing is building, decorating, and playing DST mostly alone, then Wurt is a solid option.

32 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

I agree with some of the bad aspects of Wurt, but not with the merms being less efficient:

• They are available 24/7 and never sleep, unlike the other mobs
  • Unlike pigs just chopping during the day, merms chop trees and also mine. And as said above they work 24/7 so it lets you gather much more in a full day, for your invested recruitment food.
  • They move faster than the other mobs, and the warrior merms deal more damage
  • I know the fact that merms kite is seen as bad compared to bunnymen, but I've found its better for you to also fight. Bunnymen clutter enemies, sometimes wont let you move, and they most likely die all at once by aoe, merms survive much more things and if you fight as well as if you were alone, most boss fights will be a walk in the park.
  • Warrior merms don't freak out over powerful screeches of bosses

Wurt is not so bad, its probably as mentioned earlier not the best of the 3 DLCs. Wurt also manages to become a super strong late game character, even in multiplayer settings where showing up with 20 warrior merms to battles deals more DPS than a Wolfgang

The order I'd get them would be:

1. Wortox: easier pick, super powerful mobile character, good for nomad playstyle, good for multiplayer, decent for solo.
  2. Wormwood: base character, farmer simulator, sort of challenge character. Good for multiplayer, okay-ish for solo. I personally don't like Wormwood at all and according to my personal playstyle I'd pick him last instead, but I agree that he is more stable than Wurt, specially early game, so trying to be as neutral as possible, I rank him higher.
  3. Wurt: Base character, weak early game, super powerful late game. Its mostly a solo character. It can work in multiplayer if you play on closed servers, or long lasting public servers with friends, but you will find yourself playing alone and doing your own things 90% of the time. If your thing is casual hopping into public servers, or nomad gamestyle, Wurt is the worst pick. If your thing is building, decorating, and playing DST mostly alone, then Wurt is a solid option.

The ramp up is much slower, and they accept less efficient foods for long term companionship.

17 minutes ago, Ogrecakes said:

The ramp up is much slower, and they accept less efficient foods for long term companionship.

But they perform better, once you went into all the trouble to get them and got stone fruits.

They are not less efficient, they are less convenient IMHO.

Archived