Gabu's doodles

5 hours ago, minespatch said:

Is that Maxwell next to her?

Actually that's Wickerbottom!

theyexist.thumb.png.c9f42c40bcf8507e7220efb678da7897.png

I draw her with prominent cheekbones so I see why you thought it was Maxwell lol

Wickerbottom is a character I don't particularly care for but I figured her out in the first drawing (this isn't it but it is the best one).

That Warly is also my best Warly so far, but he is looking a little too young.

Wolfgang being a combination of Mr. Incredible, Waluigi, and Peter Griffin is something I'm not sure how to comprehend.

Your take on anatomy is good. I hope you ink your work later. The drawings will be picked up better with ink.

Thank you! I am practicing digital artwork and plan on inking some of these, I'm just still new to it so there isn't any digital art I want to post yet.

6 hours ago, minespatch said:

Once again with the attitude. Love her questioning of the rose since it belongs to Charlie.

Glad you picked up on that, I wasn't sure how well that came across.

Guilty Gear Willow in the future?:wilson_ecstatic:

There are at least 20 belts per Guilty Gear character I'm not sure I want to put on Willow lol

With Lucy's reaction, she must be flustering over the pure bara that Woodie expounds to her excitement.

...oh god i did draw him as a bara character did i

I imagine this is directed toward Maxwell.:wilson_sneaky:

While I was drawing this particular image I was thinking about how she and Winona would get along, in that they probably wouldn't.

However, I did draw a Wilson thinking 'bout how he would talk to Maxwell.

itshim.thumb.png.126d3c254e37ff306fcb8b018f181482.png

Thank you for all the kind words and for reminding me this exists because this is the only Wilson the captures what I want him to look like.

• Like 9

Time for Wickerbottom!

1.thumb.png.cc404efcbdb24d6935934543a49f865c.png2.thumb.png.333414cb7d77322417eba6c1db3a4ee0.png

Yeah first two drawings I'm like "Yup that looks right".

3.thumb.png.2da403c9058c141f361c1d4ec40b523b.png4.thumb.png.4574c4370fad051b5f3858b329e7848e.png

So Wickerbottom is either depicted as a scraggly old woman or as an absolute queen in both fanworks and the skin sets. At least when in fabulous queen mode she still gives off prickly snob vibes and that combined with the Cruella de Vil vibes is probably why I love her Triumphant skin.

hello.png

I hope Klei finds a way to bring her unused younger skin back, maybe in a rework.

Edited by Gabu Gabu
Dropped my laptop because I thought typing and walking was a good idea so this was sent with ++++++++++++++++ instead of actual commentary
  • Like 9

Thank you both very much!

All of the pictures with lined paper are a couple months old, I just wanted to post my evolution of drawing these characters before I post more recent stuff.

2014953893_thekids.thumb.png.3161b3b6032b451f83f760ce167c8a1f.png

Like I want to explain the wacky roadtrip that has been figuring out how to draw Webber but this is where I'm at right now.

• Like 6

58 minutes ago, Gabu Gabu said:

Thank you both very much!

All of the pictures with lined paper are a couple months old, I just wanted to post my evolution of drawing these characters before I post more recent stuff.

2014953893_thekids.thumb.png.3161b3b6032b451f83f760ce167c8a1f.png

Like I want to explain the wacky roadtrip that has been figuring out how to draw Webber but this is where I'm at right now.

Looks really nice, I'm still figuring out how I want to draw him.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, minespatch said:

What inspired you to do that relaxed pose with Wendy?

Are you referring to Wendy or Abigail? The top one is Wendy and I was trying to go for a contemplative look as I think she would spend a lot of time overthinking things. The bottom is Abigail floating, and she was supposed to be next to a Wendy but I changed my mind on that and just left it as is.

10 hours ago, CameoAppearance said:

Wickerbottom looks really good in your style!

Thank you!

8 hours ago, gaymime said:

i'm glad she isn't young like all the other gals in videogames. it makes her feel more personable and alive(also she is already brilliant as-is). for sure though you capture what i like about her pretty well ^^

It could always be more diverse, but I really like how different all the DS ladies are from each other. Really I just want the young skin because it has that ~ lore potential ~.

• Like 1

So I decided to make up for the old notebook doodles I would make a new drawing of the topic character in my nice sketchbook. It was going to be mime time so I drew a fabulous Triumphant Wes and then decided "Hey I should draw other characters ahead of time let's draw Wigfrid".

Then I accidentally drew 5 Wigfrids and really got thinking about her character design so now I'm in a Wigfrid mood, but the clock says "honey you already edited those Wes pictures it's mime time". While arguing with the clock I realized that one if the Wigfrid doodles has a Wes in it and it's best to give context for his design before her's so the clock won and it's mime time.

Expect Wig time later.

1.thumb.png.368816bc21e2ac89a340137095898a19.png

Seriously considered adding huge eyelashes but that would make him too powerful. Jokes aside, I admit I really only like Wes for the memes but he is a lot of fun to draw.

2.thumb.png.e7cf3c4e620fb89f5ac26d4c61978f11.png

Look at that sass.

3.thumb.png.e040817ea381c68c0fe70d006aa863ae.png

Hey look legs! lol I am capable of drawing below the torso it's just I really struggle to understand how legs and hips work as I'm still practicing anatomy.

4.thumb.png.5e266d8843366d66b913fb5801853b8b.png

Even down to the hips is rare for me but this Wes needed it to exaggerate that pose.

In terms of design I ditched the suspenders as the striped shirt is already hard enough get looking right and they aren't that consistent in official art anyways. I might just make a separate topic on how these characters have slight differences in design depending on what you are looking at and how fanartists interpret that because I love that stuff.

Anyway here's that Triumphant doodle.

5.thumb.png.5ddd3007edbc408006fd1b59ceff64f9.png

remember when I said I struggled with legs, well they're cut off for a reason

also couches are hard

• Like 6

oh my stars, look at those stars, hahaha! he looks like he is taking some serious pride in not burning the meatballs this time

i could imagine a fair few people like him for the memes X''D he is second only to poor unfortunate wilson for most memeable boi™

i'd offer advice on legs but i am not exactly all that great at them either, hahahaha, at least your faces are good enough that you can pull off busts without a hitch?

Oh yeah, busts are my strong suit. It's just I spent so much time perfecting the bust that I forgot that there is more to the body underneath. I just need to even out my priorities instead of focusing on one thing.

Quick note before we start, with a few exceptions (Wickerbottom) I don't post every drawing I have ever made of these characters, I just post enough to give an idea of how they have evolved. I don't want to give the impression that all my drawings look like the ones I post, because there are some that are crusty. But that is the design process, you gotta wring out what you don't like and stitch together the pieces you do. If I did wanted to show the full process then I should post the all leftover crust, but I just don't want to. Heck I don't adore every single doodle I've posted but I wanted to show how my depictions of how these characters changed over time. I don't know what impression my previous posts were giving on the subject, but it's been nagging me.

Anyway it's Wig time.

1.thumb.png.e1ea0b20add686d8100b06d47991eb6a.png2.thumb.png.d7ad959a3209f8cb3a0bb13e8daf8e86.png

Oh poor Wes. My first couple Wigfrids I really liked, I thought it was a pretty loyal conversion of her character in my style. Then I drew this.

3.thumb.png.f5b2e8b6542b4012b07efc2f91a908b0.png

I thought I had her figured out then a new depiction clicked for me. The previous one was really cartoony, whereas this one just looked like an excited kid. And while Wigfird is a very over-the-top character I find that contrasting that personality with someone fairly normal looking emphasizes that it's all just an act. I say that with the belief that she has been method acting for so long that whoever she once was is gone, but the point still stands that she isn't an actual viking just an actress who is really into vikings.

That said while I look how the youthful approach kinda shows that she's in over her head, she was looking like a teenager and I'm pretty sure she's supposed to be an adult. So I kept elements of this new design while making her look older and more capable of fighting.

4.thumb.png.6779214f8cab787120edb9706ff77480.png5.thumb.png.171da9eef157f7fbc679d9f269b9f5e9.png

I had some old drawings to post, I just had to draw a new Wig. But after drawing the Roseate costume I realized I could draw her even better.

6.thumb.png.e2f8bedc6f9bc77c93319b99f299e104.png7.thumb.png.401da7a2e9e52ef94cbe3875957d9716.png

8.thumb.png.a498c82d0ca509057e245a808348778a.pngicantnumber.thumb.png.b66ac8b0c560c285911fef7985158675.png

Cool. I experimented with a skin, her hair, and tried to figure out more anatomy. And that was supposed to be it but after I posted the Wes I wasn't satisfied. Now I needed to apply all of that with poses more in character.

9.thumb.png.ebecec0860d43887221cf2dc08677605.png10.thumb.png.3a793ce9f465821be244c3edd49bede6.png

Let's throw in a Merrymaker too, why not.

11.thumb.png.89ca34b6dd7c7d641c72a96ae9a687d7.png

Dang all these drawings make me want to play as Wigfrid.

Another thing I want to point out is that I'm having trouble understanding Wigfird's clothes. I've looked at all sorts of artwork and I can't tell if she's wearing a one piece or not, what's going on her shirt, then there is that one time she was depicted with a skirt etc etc. And fanartists can't seem to agree on what she's wearing either? I just went for shorts and a vest thing. I also popped up her collar for that extra camp and edge.

Wigfird was a lot of fun to draw, I'm thinking of posting some Charlie and Winona next.

Edited by Gabu Gabu
pictures cutting into text
  • Like 7

i've always seen it as a corseted vest but i've looked at her sprite sheet so maybe i am a little biased?

Spoiler

76786.png?updated=1460968575

also it is mentioned officially that she lost her original self a long time ago so your interpretation is right on the money as far as i see it ^^

of the lot though i like the vestless one best, the details of the scars, the underarm hair and the stress lines in her stomach from the lack of reserve fat really do express that she is not living an easy life and has been here for a while, of course they are all pretty nice ^^ the rosette in particular make me think of the new she-ra cartoon

• Like 1

Had more to say then I thought I did so Charlie and Winona are getting separate posts.

I really wanted to go full butch with Winona but I hesitated for the longest time because she had to look like her sister. So earlier drawings looked to young, this is the only one I don't... not like.

Winona1.thumb.png.72e4345dfbc7ad68d841e556519c9f21.png

Also that hair and bandana are obnoxious to draw. While I don't care much for Winona in general, some of her skins-

Winona2.thumb.png.efde9347301e12fb3f605ac1582b1cd9.png

Woof.

She doesn't look anything like Charlie in game anyways but I still made sure they shared diamond-shaped eyes and Win looks older with eye bags.

Now I've spiced things up with a little butch flavoring. Just a little.

Winona3.thumb.png.03d5ea77ff23ee83f88f7ea4e8df6814.png

Winona4.thumb.png.099c269c9d88d1e0b97a026abafc5320.png

If that ain't a big sister I don't know what is.

Bonus Genny! Remember Genny?

genny.thumb.png.5cf9309500297f1c6b5345d180a60fca.png

Haha, classic Genny.

• Like 4
  • Sad Dupe 1

Charlie is much easier to draw than other characters as she is one of the few characters to depicted with realistic anatomy, for DS anyways. Unless I'm forgetting someone, she is also the only character depicted with actual eyes and not just black beads or empty white voids. This helps her stand out in the cast.

charlie1.thumb.png.92de7e7047430e3baeb20c6ff2fffe41.pngcharlie2.thumb.png.0904836f0315cc81eca38b0e0f0892c9.pngcharlie3.thumb.png.dbaf3cb0001b014828068c648a04ee4b.pngcharlie4.thumb.png.76dfbfabd134d30c29257794be239226.pngcharlie5.thumb.png.3a8e089583af7e08adad9602b23faaed.png

Charlie I drew as exceptionally pretty as I like the idea that she can change her appearance at anytime to pull off stuff like this:

charlie6.thumb.png.ecdd1c34cbd68faf4da43e90e71e2cee.png

It's jarring when a pretty lady turns into a spook and I really like stuff that's jarring.

But Charlie wouldn't harm anyone now, would she?

charlie7.thumb.png.10e54a530a676c7cab214168020cce2f.png

darnitcharlie.thumb.png.da32d19b0d6c19fdfbd815ce74b68ab1.png

Anyway here's one where she's judging you.

charlie8.thumb.png.a38f9f369ff9d092caa57d2a391553a5.png

I really wish Klei would actually do something with her. Like, a comic, trailer, dialogue ingame, anything really. Not just to know her better but because I think she is kinda weak DST's main villain. Like she's a threat for sure both as the night monster and the one commanding the Constant, but what does she want? Power? Revenge? That seems like the case but that isn't really clear. What does bringing all the survivors together have to with her plans? Was that literally just to remind Maxwell of his mistakes? Okay, makes sense, but what does that contribute to the rest of the game? What about the themes. I'll expand on what I mean by a villain when I get to Maxwell (who I have a lot of thoughts on) because as a character what we do know about her is really interesting, I just wish we knew more. And if the plethora of art is any indication I do really like Charlie, but I still gotta rely on headcanons to try and figure out what she's like as the ruler of the Constant. So I'm playing up the Disney villain camp aspects while I can.

I couldn't come up with anything new to draw so I figured I could brush up (heh) on my digital artwork skills and ink an existing image. Then I thought it would be a good idea to color it despite working with coloring exactly one time before hand and then spent three hours drawing her.

shadowqueen.thumb.png.0c0b1530c44bf6fab1c75f8e2f1db2fc.png

I would of added some gradient but three hours.

Overall I liked how it came out! Though I do apologize for the last minute very rushed shadow hearts at the end. Here's a comparison:

comparison.thumb.png.1efdf0edf9a6986f97e36650b985723e.png

... I forgot the right shoulder pad.

Edited by Gabu Gabu
  • Like 6