Lag issue with adding caves and some questions

Before I even start this, I want you to know I am a BIG noob at DST. I have 1300+ hours in the base game (regular Don't Starve), but I know very little about DST's exclusive content. Everything I am writing is taking into consideration MY understanding of how DST works. This basically means it's likely that I'm dead wrong in a lot of what I say. Thank you.

Here are my basic computer details. I can give more advanced details if needed.

Processor: AMD A4-5300B APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics

Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 7480D

RAM: 4.0 GB

Operating System: Windows 7

So as many people know, adding caves can give you lag (picking up items, chopping, mining, crafting, harvesting, etc.) if you don't have a great computer, which is the case for me. While I must say, the lag isn't terrible, it is annoying to deal with. I'm hosting the server, playing solo. I have trouble with lag when adding caves (I know it's because I'm basically running a whole other server) so due to this, I don't have them added on my current game. I don't have access to ANY ruins stuff (obviously), and worst of all, torches are my only renewable source of portable light. I know you can get renewable fireflies from the oasis, and a creature in the ocean has a chance to drop light bulbs. I'm not even considering those two things due to fact that getting fuel from them is unreliable, tedious, or it takes a long time to renew such resources in said manner. I even went through all the trouble of making a dedicated server, but I didn't notice any difference in the amount of lag.  

Considering above, I have some questions.

1. Is it also normal for you to be completely frozen and place and even teleported to where you were a few seconds ago when caves are added?

2. Are there any ways to improve lag caused by adding caves without upgrading my computer?

3. In your personal opinion, is it worth it to deal with lag by adding caves, in order to experience its content?

4. What is the least cheaty way of getting a reliable and renewable fuel for a lantern or miner hat, without caves (even if a mod is needed)?

Sorry if I missed anything obvious. Once again, I am very new to DST. If anyone could help me out, I would really appreciate it. Thank you.

1- just sounds like playing DST.. there’s no way to disable caves on an Xbox or PS4 I play on Xbox but this should still apply to your question, the lag is something you just have to get used to and predict.. Notice when your lagging and move to avoid being lagged right back dead center of hostile mobs you just ran away from. At this point I just consider the lag as part of the game.

2- I do not know the answer to this I am sorry.

3- you miss out in roughly 65% of the games content without having Caves & Ruins, Unless you have mods to bring that stuff to the surface, Caves are a huge part of the game.

4- so far the only way I know of to refuel lanterns without caves are with the glow bulbs dropped when killing Skittersquid, however I’ve been begging Klei to add in a cheap Alternative to having an Actual Lantern.. by being able to simply use the empty message bottles from the She Sells Sea Shells Update to quickly capture Fireflies inside (it obviously wouldn’t last as long as a REAL lantern.. but would last significantly longer than a Torch)

Other uses I would like to see for the Empty Jars is to stack and further persevere the spoil time of Honey & Fistful of Jam when the jars are filled with them and stored into a fridge.

Without caves you miss out on Bunnymen, Rock Lobsters, Splumonkeys, Spitter Spiders, Toadstool Boss fight, FuelWeaver boss fight, Ancient P word science tab, Earthquakes, Depthworms, Glowberry, Mushroom Tree Forests, etc etc... 
the TL:DR- It’s ALOT!! 

Hopefully someday you can explore cave contents the way the game was meant to be played. :( 

Thanks. I might wait to see one more person's opinion. If no one else replies, I guess I'll just enable the caves and deal with the lag. I wish there was some way to disable them again after you've enabled them, but obviously that wouldn't make much sense. I appreciate your response. :)

3 Fireflies will spawn in the oasis lake every summer, so if you need a renewable source of minerhat fuel, that is something you should take note of. It won't be the most reliable, and you will need to use your miner hat/lantern sparingly.

I also have these problems, and I typically turn caves off. I actually am starting to upgrade my surface base to my first megabase, but it is less convenient to have no caves and be making a megabase, but i'm trying to make the best I can without caves.

Obviously you didn't read everything, because you would've seen that I mentioned the fireflies spawning in the oasis.

6 hours ago, natha_n said:

I know you can get renewable fireflies from the oasis

If you don't want to read my whole post before replying, please don't even bother to begin with. It's upsetting and it makes it makes it seem like you don't care. Thanks.

I can feel your pain man, because I am living with it(lag). I am also a DS player and same problems happened to me when I started DST. My pc is also not great(i5 6th gen with 4gb ram) but works great with DS. As these kind of games doesn't contain high graphics so i thought there will not be any problem with DST.

At first DST is also working fine as I was unaware of the fact that I have to enable cave manually. Problem starts with the cave enabled as It's showing significant lag in my game. if and only if you are hosing in your pc as the client side works fine.

so my suggestion is live with it as whenever I say these problems people always told me that have a better pc.

coming to your third question you must and should add caves I was doing the same mistake to not adding caves for lag but without cave you will miss so mush content that you will regret it you are planning for mega base.

27 minutes ago, natha_n said:

Obviously you didn't read everything, because you would've seen that I mentioned the fireflies spawning in the oasis.

If you don't want to read my whole post before replying, please don't even bother to begin with. It's upsetting and it makes it makes it seem like you don't care. Thanks.

Sorry, I missed that. I have low attention span, so I apologize.

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

use the empty message bottles from the She Sells Sea Shells Update to quickly capture Fireflies inside

how do you do that? i tried but it wouldn't let me.

Day five thousand something something of begging Klei to add a "singleplayer mode", which takes out the server aspect of the overworld and caves and just loads them like you're playing a singleplayer game. Im tired of being barred from half of the game because of it's very high PC requirements.

Caves are big and funny part of the game, so I wouldn't disable them. I have same problem and I think it's game's biggest problem. There is few things you can try

There is bunch of mod to disable rain effect, colorcubes, farmplanks (idk how it called), effects bla bla and there is few mods to removing items on ground, editing animal spawn number (probably you will get lag with those hornets). Try this

You can make your world and cave smaller. Worldgen is repeating themself so it's will not be a problem.

You can play at offline. Yes you will not able to wear your favourite skins and great characters you paid for them. Sad but true. It's most effective way.

You can disable some stuff like hounds, bees (I saw some persons doing this but this will effects your game so much...)

You can close background apps like browsers and antivirus

You can go back to Don't Starve. There is few good mods adding nice stuffs (most of them is outdated).

its weid that you have lag with that computer, i was able to play only in private games hosted by me whith friends and solo with a worst computer (i was dumb and didnt realice there is a lanmode for when i play alone). Maybe there is a problem with some background proccess, virus or mod

i dont think this game requires to much, it can confuse because of the graphics but i guess it has a lot of internal proccess like temperature of everything, wetness, grow timing, etc

Also note that when there are caves the client is in full client<->server mode.  The way DST handles that is a full trip server enforced for all actions.  This is known as lockstep in other games, where your actions must be sent to the server, get processed, and then sent back to the client before the client shows anything happening.

Not having caves and the client is also the server, so buffered actions play immediately as the server is also the client.

In any case, I'd highly recommend turning off movement prediction and deal with the feeling of the lockstep latency of all of your actions.  You can predict when your actions will stop and preemptively start doing other actions before you see you're able to do it, and the server will play them back as they happened perfectly fine.  If the server's tickrate hitches for a bit for any reason, then you immediately feel it and know where your character is at all times and don't have to guess when you use movement prediction.

@Canis You've perfectly captured my thoughts. The only reason I (and likely many others) switch from DS to DST is for the content, and don't intend on playing with others. I can't even enjoy a huge part of the game without dealing with lag, when Klei could do exactly what you just said. I don't get it. Stop leaving room for people to go to DS instead of DST (other than Hamlet and Shipwrecked, but I think I would enjoy DST's exclusive content way more than those two DLCs). There's not any stopping them really, is there?

54 minutes ago, natha_n said:

@Canis You've perfectly captured my thoughts. The only reason I (and likely many others) switch from DS to DST is for the content, and don't intend on playing with others. I can't even enjoy a huge part of the game without dealing with lag, when Klei could do exactly what you just said. I don't get it. Stop leaving room for people to go to DS instead of DST (other than Hamlet and Shipwrecked, but I think I would enjoy DST's exclusive content way more than those two DLCs). There's not any stopping them really, is there?

if at least single player wasnt full of bugs and incomplete...

So I'm 10 days in to a new world with caves. The general action lag is kinda meh (but could be potentially dangerous when trying to quickly stuff my face with pierOP or cactus during boss fights). However, I can't even kite properly without getting lagged and hit. It would be a nightmare with bosses. I'm also getting completely frozen for so long to the point that I have to disconnect and log back in, which is very annoying. 

All of this considered, I think I'm just gonna stay without caves for now until there's a fix for all of the lag (if there ever is one), whether it be a "singleplayer mode" as Canis said, or something else (please Klei, please).

One more thing. In your guys' personal opinions, would you think that it's best to go back to regular DS for caves, ruins, Shipwrecked, Hamlet, etc.? Or do you think I should stay in DST without caves? I'm kinda leaning towards the latter.

I appreciate all the amazing help and suggestions from all the great people above me. You guys rock. Thanks.

23 hours ago, Canis said:

Day five thousand something something of begging Klei to add a "singleplayer mode", which takes out the server aspect of the overworld and caves and just loads them like you're playing a singleplayer game. Im tired of being barred from half of the game because of it's very high PC requirements.

They’ve been heavily hinting around at Cross-Platform play, and while I’m in no position to say how soon that will happen or if it will ever happen at all, it seems that instead of making an offline single player version (which also comes with not being able to use dlc characters or skins) They seem to be taking the game in the opposite direction of making it even MORE of a Multiplayer game..

They even straight up said that the Xbox one version of the game could not support more than 6 players, however.. if Xbox players were just Clients in a PC Server, that max player count no longer applies and we could see those crazy 10+ player worlds.

As for your question about what to play.. play both! And get the best of both worlds.

I don’t really play solo DS anymore due to well uh not being able to play it with my buddy rebellion and my sister, dad and brother. (They rarely play.. but yeah.) I only go BACK to Solo DS to play the Shipwrecked Expansion and enjoy those mobs and Biomes.

But I would help fund Klei’s Kickstarter campaign for DST:Shipwrecked Edition.. I do not want to have to choose between playing with friends & playing SW Content.

IF You can play Solo DS and not feel like your missing out on skins, cosmetic items, all these awesome new character refreshes.. then by all means I encourage you to do so.

But for me to go back to Solo DS just wouldn’t feel right without Wendy Communing with Pipspook or Willow wrecking Shadows with Bernie. :( 

Archived