Walter Discussion

maybe he comes into the world with a compass because he is a boy scout. maybe he gets bonuses from doing survival stuff because he is boy scout and he needs to get all the badges, the bonuses could be stat increases like wx. Walter could also come with a new light source that is similar to a flash light. i just hope he is not as weak as wes. his favourite food could be a new food like smores, made with glomer gloup, sticks and berries.

On 5/29/2020 at 8:13 AM, Cosheeta said:

As a character he seems extremely boring, copy of Walter but young and another niche for profession.

EDIT: PfHah, I even got the name wrong then. Warly, of course

why is everyone acting like this? "oh, this character is boring because of these assumptions i have about what the gameplay might be like."

you can't tell if a character is good or not simply by looking at their design. it's a single drawing, that hints at one of his perks.

also, i don't know where you even got the idea that he's a rehash of warly from. these are all suggestions and ideas for what his perks might be like.

3 minutes ago, taako bell said:

why is everyone acting like this? "oh, this character is boring because of these assumptions i have about what the gameplay might be like."

you can't tell if a character is good or not simply by looking at their design. it's a single drawing, that hints at one of his perks.

also, i don't know where you even got warly from. these are all suggestions and ideas for what his perks might be like.

Exactly! We’ve only got his design nothing more, we don’t know if he’s a complete jerk or the sweetest thing.

People are making so many assumptions because of his design....just because he’s got a skin color like Warly it doesn’t mean he’s his cousin or something. By that logic I’m Ariana Grande’s nephew!

So really thanks for pointing that out. I here am not going to say anything about him until he is released, or we find out more...

What could become really important is the portal behind him, a little teaser of how he got into the Constant... it doesn't seem to be created by a machine... Could it be a Gateway... who knows...

5 minutes ago, Lucenix said:

What could become really important is the portal behind him, a little teaser of how he got into the Constant... it doesn't seem to be created by a machine... Could it be a Gateway... who knows...

It must be a portal!

Spoiler

This is an official Steam emoticon... Plus it looks identical to the spiral from Walter's teaser image.

Capture.PNG.8adc454cc8be20f58da351e324890078.PNG 

18 minutes ago, Charlie Dark said:

It must be a portal!

Hide contents

This is an official Steam emoticon... Plus it looks identical to the spiral from Walter's teaser image.

Capture.PNG.8adc454cc8be20f58da351e324890078.PNG 

Yes that's true! For now we've seen different things make portals in dst, the Gateway, Charlie, Shadow Hands (probably Them), the machines Maxwell made other construct... which one is this from, that's the real question...

8 minutes ago, Lucenix said:

Yes that's true! For now we've seen different things make portals in dst, the Gateway, Charlie, Shadow Hands (probably Them), the machines Maxwell made other construct... which one is this from, that's the real question...

qu89pQR.jpg

maybe has a connection with woodiies portal

His whole gameplay should be around collecting badges. Huntsman badge. Go on the hunt. Chef badge. Make a meatball. And then there's gotta be more badges like "reset an ancient civilization" badge, in which he kills the Fuelweaver. 

And then there's the hardest badge to collect of them all; kill a butterfly.

You guys think I’m joking but do you seriously realize how different and unique of a character Walter would be if he could not craft or use items like the Shovel or the Pitchfork? Anytime someone tried to build and pass one to him he would have a refusal animation similar to Warly trying to eat anything that’s not specially cooked or Wigfrid when you try to cram berries in her mouth. (Pun intended) 

He could have a quote like “I can’t use these tools! I’m trying to earn my Wilderness Survival Badge!!”

Officially making Walter the only character in the entire game who has to walk around the wilderness surviving IN the Wilderness instead of digging up everything & bringing the wilderness to his base. 

I mean my knowledge of actual boy scouts is pretty limited so someone correct me if I’m wrong, but aren’t they supposed to be trained in the art of surviving in the woods with the barest minimal of supplies?

Going to Lowes and buying a shovel would have em disqualified from obtaining their Wilderness badge.

2 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

You guys think I’m joking but do you seriously realize how different and unique of a character Walter would be if he could not craft or use items like the Shovel or the Pitchfork? Anytime someone tried to build and pass one to him he would have a refusal animation similar to Warly trying to eat anything that’s not specially cooked or Wigfrid when you try to cram berries in her mouth. (Pun intended) 

He could have a quote like “I can’t use these tools! I’m trying to earn my Wilderness Survival Badge!!”

Officially making Walter the only character in the entire game who has to walk around the wilderness surviving IN the Wilderness instead of digging up everything & bringing the wilderness to his base. 

I mean my knowledge of actual boy scouts is pretty limited so someone correct me if I’m wrong, but aren’t they supposed to be trained in the art of surviving in the woods with the barest minimal of supplies?

Going to Lowes and buying a shovel would have em disqualified from obtaining their Wilderness badge.

He will be so tedious to play if you want to go ruins fight raid bosses because you will be worry of looking for grass and twiggs walking the entire map over and over

25 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

You guys think I’m joking but do you seriously realize how different and unique of a character Walter would be if he could not craft or use items like the Shovel or the Pitchfork?

This downside wouldn't exist in a multiplayer setting, Wickerbottom could already have plucked the world clean by the time someone joins. I guess it could work in a solo setting, but I don't think Klei is making characters based on solo games in a multiplayer themed game. :nightmare:

I agree that it would be an interesting downside, but if Walter isn't gathering plants, someone else is.

13 minutes ago, Lumberlocke said:

This downside wouldn't exist in a multiplayer setting, Wickerbottom could already have plucked the world clean by the time someone joins. I guess it could work in a solo setting, but I don't think Klei is making characters based on solo games in a multiplayer themed game. :nightmare:

I agree that it would be an interesting downside, but if Walter isn't gathering plants, someone else is.

That’s like saying Wormwood can’t heal by eating foods, Wormwoods Downside is completely nullified if he has a Wortox around healing him.

1 hour ago, thegreatJash said:

His whole gameplay should be around collecting badges. Huntsman badge. Go on the hunt. Chef badge. Make a meatball. And then there's gotta be more badges like "reset an ancient civilization" badge, in which he kills the Fuelweaver. 

And then there's the hardest badge to collect of them all; kill a butterfly.

I dont really like this idea, it's pretty much just achievements and it just tells the player what to do instead of letting the player be free in how they play.

31 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Screenshot_20200603-124036.png

Screenshot_20200603-124007.png

14 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

That’s like saying Wormwood can’t heal by eating foods, Wormwoods Downside is completely nullified if he has a Wortox around healing him.

That's fair, but Wormwood in that case would be relying on a single character's perk, provided the Wortox is even around you 24/7 and always has a soul surplus. Whereas Walter would be relying on every other character in the game to dig up plants. I guess the downside would just make it so you focus on other things in the early game, but when you return to base you'll find all the plants you could need. :?

It's definitely a cool idea, a nomadic playstyle has always interested me. I just dunno how it would play out if you'd try to live off the land but all the natural resources were already gone. :apthy:

3 minutes ago, Lumberlocke said:

I guess, but Wormwood in that case would be relying on a single character's perk, provided the Wortox is even around you 24/7 and always has a soul surplus. Whereas Walter would be relying on every other character in the game to dig up plants. I guess the downside would just make it so you focus on other things in the early game, but when you return to base you'll find all the plants you could need. :?

Well I mean yeah, but considering that there’s rarely ever more than 3-4 people in an Xbox session (max is 6) I think Walter could stand out as being challenging in his own right when not surrounded by having the help of others.

you can literally wander around for hours and never come across another player.

As for those mega servers with more then 6 people in them yeah we don’t umm we don’t have those, but Klei staff has hinted that when/if crossplay ever becomes a thing, we might get it someday! :D 
I hope crossplay becomes a thing.. then I can play with all my friends regardless of what platform they’re playing on!

Sorry, I'm working and couldn't finish my thoughts with the images.

Boy Scouts are about surviving in the wilderness with minimal supplies, but I think its more about using your tools to obtain building materials, not obtaining materials with your bare hands. Chopping trees, digging ditches etc.

54 minutes ago, Hornete said:

I dont really like this idea, it's pretty much just achievements and it just tells the player what to do instead of letting the player be free in how they play.

I was sort of messing with that idea. Yeah, it would be too much like achievements.

1 hour ago, Hornete said:

That's a good point actually, I usually get obsessed with achievements, and when I get them all (in a specific game), I never play it again. It's nice to see that some games like DS and DST don't have that and let you "be free" and set your own goals and have no annoying achievements. 

12 minutes ago, Charlie Dark said:

That's a good point actually, I usually get obsessed with achievements, and when I get them all (in a specific game), I never play it again. It's nice to see that some games like DS and DST don't have that and let you "be free" and set your own goals and have no annoying achievements. 

I have to disagree with this and I can point to some pretty cool stuff that explains why- As you know I am a Batman fan like a HUGE Batman fan (so of course I’ve got all the achievements in the games with the sole exception of Origins, if they ever Remaster Origins I’ll nail that one too.) Ahem but ANYWAY- In the latest Batman game (Arkham Knight) there is a hidden boss fight that can only be triggered by stringing together a 300 hit combo without being hit by a single enemy and without using any of Batman’s special Gadgets- if you do that successfully you are rewarded with Killer Croc jumping into the action for a Boss fight and to actually Get the Achievement you have to also defeat Croc without taking any health damage.

Theres also a Villain in the Batman series called Calendar Man, and you can get an achievement as well as Unique in game dialogue if you go to his cell and visit him on every Holiday in a single Calendar Year

My point is that achievements are not ALWAYS used as a way of measuring ones ego, sometimes they can be creative and get the player to do a very specific thing they otherwise normally would NOT have done.

But tying achievements to a single character.. like Walter would just be awful.

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

I have to disagree with this and I can point to some pretty cool stuff that explains why- As you know I am a Batman fan like a HUGE Batman fan (so of course I’ve got all the achievements in the games with the sole exception of Origins, if they ever Remaster Origins I’ll nail that one too.) Ahem but ANYWAY [...]

My point is that achievements are not ALWAYS used as a way of measuring ones ego, sometimes they can be creative and get the player to do a very specific thing they otherwise normally would NOT have done.

I feel that soon I'll have more knowledge about the batman games than about DST, just by reading these forums...

Anyways, "creative" and "to do a very specific thing" are quite contradictory, in my understanding. DST is a game for people who can and want to get creative without being told to.

Archived