In the darkness...

Kevin

• Developer

I just pushed a minor update that changes the way that our lighting works. It should be live on both chrome and steam. Play around with it, and tell me what you think.

Also,

Edited by Kevin

What is it doing?

It does like when the steam client was launched, it crashes the game intantly.

That may mean that i need to delete the game and redownload it for it to work again.

Talking about the steam version.

Edited by GDK

That's... unexpected. Er... can you make sure its up to date?

That may be the problem because the last update downloaded by steam was too early to be that one (5PM and it's like 1AM here). So i don't know but steam doesn't seem to bother wanting to download anything for now.

Hello again GDK - Go into steam library, from there right click on Don't Starve in the game list and choose "properties". In there, click on the "Local Files" tab and choose "verify integrity of game cache"

did it and it didn't work (even though that seemed to have done something) I am now redownloading the game to see if it does something.

Tried redowloading it, didn't work.

Did you change something regarding supported resolution ?

Ok nevermind, Steam decided to move his ass and download the update. the game works totally fine now (well at least i can access the menu, i haven't tried more yet).

Edited by GDK

Bugs fixed, let's get back to work guys!

Looks great! but why did it take me six logs to keep the fire going through the night?
A firepit should stay lit for a whole night with two logs, and campfire with four.

I like the new(old?) gradient around the fires, but Fus right, stuff burns much quicker than before. I used to put 2 charcoals on my firepit when the dusk came and it would last far into the next day.

Now I have to use like 4 charcoals just to get through the scary night.

• Developer
Bugs fixed, let's get back to work guys!

I like the new(old?) gradient around the fires, but Fus right, stuff burns much quicker than before. I used to put 2 charcoals on my firepit when the dusk came and it would last far into the next day.

Now I have to use like 4 charcoals just to get through the scary night.

Awesome! Glad it works again. Those were some stressful minutes as we tried to fix it.

I intentionally tuned the firepit down a bit. It was waaaaaay too efficient before.

Finding that two logs gets me through the night on a firepit, however they extinguish instantaneously - i.e. there's no gradual fade down. And the duration of each log seems very random. Several times the log burned out after about 10 seconds (rough count), while others burned for quite a long time. Again, though, when they extinguish they do so without warning.

This is on the Steam client.

The firepit nerf was a pit overdone I think.

Adding grass will only put it to grass level, no matter how many grass we put it will still do a fire equivalent to only 1 grass, and the same applies to logs.

Well that's how i feel about it.

And +1 with the firepit estinghuishing suddently, i lost a game (only day 2 but still) due to that.

i purposely now set up a small forest,leave a trail of grass and burn it with a small campfire and get my charcoal :)

I enslave a whole pigtown, chop down a forest, collect the pine cones, replant them all in a tight forest and cause a controlled fire to fill my pockets with charcoal. It usually lasts me a week or two.

I actually like the nerf, game suddenly feels a lot more challanging! with the old firepits, it was relatively easy to set down in your camp and pass the days, I actually only died to suicide with all of my playes yet, this change might change that now.

I don't mind feeding the fire more often, as the light radius has improved around my fire pit and I can actually do a few things around my camp site. However, as noted be others, the fire extinguishes very suddenly and I admit to being completely caught off guard. I expected the light radius to simply shrink down faster, to account for the need for more fuel, but it just dropped me into pitch darkness.

Thanks goodness I learned from my (fatal) mistake with Wilson and I made sure to have Wendy always carry a torch... that saved my bacon. I mean, you can't even see the camp fire to restart it when its extinguished.

My only suggestion is I wouldn't mind a little more warning when that's going to happen. Or else my current solution is to just keep feeding it whether the fire needs it or not (because I can't tell).

Well there are different levels of fire.

I burn mine at -Hysterically huge.

Also known as "Good thing its contained"

Then when the light shrinks i know it needs feeding.

I think what some of us are finding with this latest change, however, is that the fire no longer shrinks. It just starts at whatever level it starts at when you add a log to the cold firepit, it burns for a bit, then abruptly goes out. No diminishing light circle to warn you that the fuel is running low.