In the darkness...

Kevin

Did I break shrinking? Sigh. I thought I tested that. It must have slipped my mind in the crashing drama.

I don't think it's broken. It does shrink in the "contained" state, but when its down to the "put something" state it goes out before completely shrinking on itself. So, instead of the light going dark in a tiny spot, it goes dark on a relatively huge circle.

Unfortunately, I think this is happening because you extended the gradient radius. When the transition was sharp (a.k.a. "plastical") the shrinking was more noticeable. Now, it appears that the fire would last longer because we still see the out rings of gradient as "illuminated", but the inner circle did shrink until disappearing.

It's a catch-22.

I hope somebody besides me understood what I just said :D

I don't think it's broken. It does shrink in the "contained" state, but when its down to the "put something" state it goes out before completely shrinking on itself. So, instead of the light going dark in a tiny spot, it goes dark on a relatively huge circle.

Unfortunately, I think this is happening because you extended the gradient radius. When the transition was sharp (a.k.a. "plastical") the shrinking was more noticeable. Now, it appears that the fire would last longer because we still see the out rings of gradient as "illuminated", but the inner circle did shrink until disappearing.

It's a catch-22.

I understood what you said in a logical sense, kind of figuratively. But literally, I don't know what it meant.

Ya know?

It's a catch-22.

Except sometimes it goes full dark even though there was a pretty big circle of light around the firepit

I suppose two factors would need to be examined:

1) The stage at which a fire extinguishes based on its overall radius, and the allow for a greater degree of reduction in said radius (i.e. shrinking light area).

2) To counter the increased radius the rate of radius decay would need to be increased, say doubled or tripled so players could witness how quickly the fire diminishes and becomes extinguished.

when you look at the heigh of the fire in the firepit, you can clearly see that is not always on the "lowest state" when it extinguishes, but one the second lowest one. I find that pretty hard to deal with because I don't really watch for the light circly anyway, but always keep an eye on the fire itself.

befor the tweak we had

"good thing it is contained" > "nice and comfy" > "it gets a bit low" > "I should put something on there" > darkness

now we sometimes, not always go

"good thing it is contained" > "nice and comfy" > "it gets a bit low" > darkness

and that's what nearly killed me several times now.

I think it depends on what kind of fuel you feed to the fire, but I can not really see a system behind that as of yet.

So technically, I guess you can say that the shrinking is broken atm indeed.

Edited by Bogpad

Here's an idea, how about 5-10 seconds before the fire goes out have the character comment on it. An actual warning might be all we really need.

this actually sounds like a very simple solution indeed. I mean, we do get the "I am hungry" warning, and the "It's getting dark, I should make a fire" warning anyway, so one more like "I should really put some wood on my fire" seems a reasonable way to fix any problems.

Just rolled a new world and noticing the firepit issues seem worse. Now, adding fuel to a firepit (or campfire) can have no effect ("the darkness is looming" no matter how much wood I put on fire), or a couple of times, adding a log has actually made the fire go down - which seems wrong, unless there's some wet log feature I'm unaware of :)