Who is the hardest boss in your opinion and why?

Who's the hardest boss?  

139 members have voted

1. 1. Who is it?

43 minutes ago, Charlie Dark said:

Again... you can use end tables for that instead, and with the mush-lights you still have to go back to the caves to get light bulbs, I never sail so nothing about the ocean matters to me, and the insulated pack is entirely pointless and expensive, food is never a problem in the "mid" game, after the first year has ended.

Dont compare having 4 lightbulbs for entire seasons to refilling your lantern every night.

Food is not a problem until you go to a long journy and all your food start to turn.

Some people forgets that a lot of items are thought to different stages of the player knowledge. For me insulate pack is useless because i kill beequeen but for someone new that starts his 1st summer could be a great help, like healing salves, top hat, winter hat, etc they are for helping noobs to get gear enought to survive 

If the ocean doesnt matter to you why talk about ocean? 

38 minutes ago, Charlie Dark said:

Again... you can use end tables for that instead, and with the mush-lights you still have to go back to the caves to get light bulbs

Mushlights and mushlamps still win in the term of efficency and light radius, end table is just a cheap knock-off. You can literally give your base street-like lamp posts with how much light a single mushlamp or mushlight emits. If you killed Fuelweaver then you have free light bulbs with reanimated stalker.

40 minutes ago, Charlie Dark said:

I never sail so nothing about the ocean matters to me

Then why call items you don't possess or get to use on daily routine at sea "useless" without actually experiencing their efficency in action? Kind of a blindfold statement if you ask me.

43 minutes ago, Charlie Dark said:

insulated pack is entirely pointless and expensive, food is never a problem in the "mid" game, after the first year has ended.

After getting bundling wrap, i agree it is redundant, but without the wrap, this is second best backpack in the game. It is literally a pocket fridge. Sure, wrap is still best in terms of obtainability since you either have to get lucky with klaus's lootable or wait an entire year for bearger to arrive while you can stomp bq first autumn, but take notice that some people have never fought bq or arent aware bundling wrap even exists. To me that backpack is very useful for carrying pocket food or harvesting it from various places, example caves, lichen, carrots from bunnymen houses, lightbulbs, glow berries.

9 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

Some people forgets that a lot of items are thought to different stages of the player knowledge. For me insulate pack is useless because i kill beequeen but for someone new that starts his 1st summer could be a great help, like healing salves, top hat, winter hat, etc they are for helping noobs to get gear enought to survive 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the insulated pack impossible to obtain by the 1st summer?

30 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

If the ocean doesnt matter to you why talk about ocean? 

To point out that there's literally no point going there, the fights can be tedious and the only "useful" loot cannot be used outside of the ocean, you don't get any overpowered armor, weapons that will assist you everywhere you go you instead get shell bells (from the crab king) and from the malbatross you get a beak paddle and a "mediocre" mast. And the toadstool, sure you can have an easy light source, but tell me who has the will, equipment and 6 friends to go and kill that raid boss ? Not all players. And still, even in late game if you get the insulated pack, the body slot is better used by a krampus sack, and if you go on long journeys you should take long-lasting food with you such as honey and jerkies. 

And if you really  want a portable fridge, use snow Chester. 

19 minutes ago, Charlie Dark said:

To point out that there's literally no point going there, the fights can be tedious and the only "useful" loot cannot be used outside of the ocean

That's true, there isn't any good incentive to scour the ocean other than doing it for the sake of doing it, which isn't that bad if you find it fun, but the majority doesn't.

For now, the only good thing to find out there is the lunar island, which doesn't really mean that you need good ocean gear, as the island itself is land. Maybe the ocean could be more perilous and difficult but with more normal islands to set foot and rest for a little while.

That way there could exist a cool gaming loop where you sail out there until you find the next island, set up camp and gather your forces, maybe go back to gather up some more stuff and sail out even further. Maybe those islands could be unique parts of the moon, with unique mobs and bosses/mini-bosses (the game lacks this last one).

Spoiler
19 minutes ago, Charlie Dark said:

you should take long-lasting food with you such as honey

cries as Wigfrid main

25 minutes ago, Charlie Dark said:

To point out that there's literally no point going there

For you sure, but there are people who get enjoyment out of pure sailing, fishing and treasure hunting, me included.

the fights can be tedious and the only "useful" loot cannot be used outside of the ocean, you don't get any overpowered armor, weapons that will assist you everywhere you go you instead get shell bells (from the crab king)

Not every boss fight has to give you god-tier loot, crab kings second loot drop still has a purpose to be given. Both Sea bosses are easy to kill once you practice and learn their patterns, Malbatross is basically a cake-walk if you have boomerang, while Crab King takes more preperation, but you don't necessarily need 5 ice staves to kill him. Shell Bells are a great addition to dst from my perspective. A perfect item that can express the creativity of the player(base) and be customly used to make a variety of music, osts or themes. If we're talking full elitist mode that you're trying to present then sure, almost everything sea related it garbage.

malbatross you get a beak paddle and a "mediocre" mast.

"Mediocre" is a vast understatement. If the bug with "higher speed structure deattatchment" didn't exist this item would be s tier for boats easily.

And the toadstool, sure you can have an easy light source, but tell me who has the will, equipment and 6 friends to go and kill that raid boss ? Not all players.

But then tell me who knows about Stagehand itself, where to find it or that you have to use two hammers in order to obtain the blueprint for it. Not all players. Knowledge about this game is throughoutly presented in many ways, but i cannot force a person into learning what they dont want, it's entirely up to them whether they want to take on bigger threats in the game that require more effort or not.

Not all players. And still, even in late game if you get the insulated pack, the body slot is better used by a krampus sack, and if you go on long journeys you should take long-lasting food with you such as honey and jerkies.

Not every person in the "late game" has a krampus sack. Krampus sack wins and takes the crown of being the best backpack in the game with astonishing amount of space slots aswell as not being flammable. The thing about insulated pack is that it's easily knocked out of the competition with items like bundling wrap and krampus sack, despite it requiring a boss-drop to make. I can agree on it not being perfect, calling it useless is your own preference i suppose.

1 hour ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

...for someone new that starts his 1st summer could be a great help, like healing salves, top hat, winter hat, etc they are for helping noobs to get gear enought to survive

Generally, from my empirical experience with pubs (>5k h), most players starting their 1st Summers.. barely survive if anything. Are under-prepared in every aspect: sometimes they don't even have a single gear for 1 fridge, not to mention Bear's pelt. Also Bearger comes 2nd Autumn, thus - except Klaus drops or non-default vanilla server settings - is impossible to have a Bearger's Thick Fur by 1st Summer. And if they are beginners (newbies or noobs) won't be able to successfully solo-face Klaus their 1st Winter in any shape or form (with very-few exceptions). Pls do try not to exaggerate general skill levels - while there are exceptions as stated, they are extremely rare. If one wants to give general advice, do keep in mind where broad player-bulk skill bar is plus what people can realistically achieve under it.

That being said, indeed Insulated Pack is a great item to have in moderately-to-highly populated servers where people fairly-to-well adept at the game need side gear as Krampi Sacks are quite rare till mid-game. Even from that point onward some players still don't have the regular Tam O'-Eyebrella-Krampus Sack combo, thus lesser alternatives are welcomed. Also co-op is a thing on long-running servers, thereby some eager-to-learn beginners can access mid-to-high tier hand-me-downs/duplicates. Point is: in right circumstances (even if those conditions imply scarcity) any item can be useful.

4 minutes ago, Well-met said:

As someone who always does jerky farms, the salt box is amazing.

but yea... 1 year of RoT and there's basically only the glasscutter, stonefruit and salt box that justify boats.

I thought you can't put jerky into a salt box.

Lets's get this straight: boss drops all are useful in some capacity. Some like the Bundling Wrap are just more useful than others.

Since people are throwing around the notion that "Toadstool is useless because its drops are useless and it has a healthpool that takes ages to deplete":

The toadstool, much like Dfly, BQ and plenty of other bosses o  this list ,is optional and its drops may be pursued for those wanting slightly more convenience in gameplay.

Using that logic Dfly's drops are also useless because you already have a cheaper firepit which provides you more light and it has a massive healthpool which takes ages to deplete plus lavae you have to work around, plus you can farm the gems it drops or snag them in the ruins from statues free of any danger if you're lucky.

11 hours ago, GetNerfedOn said:

Using that logic Dfly's drops are also useless because you already have a cheaper firepit which provides you more light and it has a massive healthpool which takes ages to deplete plus lavae you have to work around, plus you can farm the gems it drops or snag them in the ruins from statues free of any danger if you're lucky.

no because the furnace and chests are actually good and cover a niche. Pits eventually always go out but the furnace never does. You can also make armors and floors with scales.

Archived