What is needed to defeat each boss (solo)

Bosses of DST can be tricky: they have a big amount of health and special abilities that makes them hard to fight. Perhaps one of the biggest questions is to know how much stuff you will need for each of them. Each boss will have his own paragraph and will be put in this order: the one which starts with letters closer to "a" will come first and the ones with letters closer to "z" will be at the end.  I apologize for grammar mistakes I might make. This assumes you are playing as Wilson. It also assumes that you are not an amazing player or a noob at fighting that boss: if you never did this fight before I would bring more stuff than needed just to make sure. Things you need to start the fight (example: shadow atrium) will not be mentioned. This also assumes their is no exploit used (exept for the Dragonfly).

Ancient Guardian: you will need 1 fresh ham bat, a magiluminescence, 14-20 blue mushrooms or equivalent (with cooked green mushrooms to counterbalance), and 4-6 football helmets or equivalent. A start caller staff is recommended for light, but not mandatory.

Ancient Fuelwever: You will need 1 nightmare amulet, 1 lazy explorer, 1 or 2 weather pains, 6 dark swords, 12-20 football helmets and 500-600 health points from healing food. Do not forget to bring 40 cooked cactus or equivalent for sanity.

Antlion: You will need 3-6 football helmets or equivalent, 6-12 pierogis or equivalent and 1 fresh ham bat. A desert goggle is recommended but not needed.

Bearger: 1-2 football helmets or equivalent, 2-3 pierogis or equivalent and 1 tentacle spike or equivalent.

Bee Queen: You will need 1 fresh ham bat, 40-60 pierogis, 16-22 football helmets and some kind of additional speed boost for the third and fourth phase (example: a walking cane).

Crab king: Use 20 killer bees as the crab king does not have any attack that can damage them. Then, go far away enough that you can still see the crab king when zooming out to the maximum but to far for the crab king to reach you.

Deerclops: You will need 1-2 football helmets or equivalent, 10-20 cooked green mushrooms or equivalent, 2-4 pierogis or equivalent, 1 fresh ham bat / tentacle spike and things to keep you warm and make a campfire.

Dragon Fly: You will need 24 stone walls (12 walls on each side of a magma pool), 4-8 football helmets or equivalent, a pan flute, 10-20 pierogis and a fresh ham bat. Be careful: if you lag, you might want to tank her because kiting becomes to difficult. In this case, you might want to multiply the amount of armor / healing by 2 to 3 times. 

Klaus: 1 pan flute (recommended for the Krampus moment but not mandatory), 3-6 football helmets, 10-15 pierogis and 1 fresh ham bat. Do not forget to bring stuff to deal with cold.

Malbatross: 2-4 football helmets, 3-5 pierogis or equivalent, 1 hambat and a few kits to repair the boat just in case.

Moose-Goose: 1-2 football helmets or equivalent, 1 tentacle spike or equivalent and 2-3 pierogis.

Shadow Pieces: You will need a walking cane (and the use of the road), 4-8 football helmets, 1 fresh ham bat and 5-10 pierogis.

Toadstool: you will need 4-6 weather pains, 8 dark swords, 40 cooked cactus in a frigo and 5-15 pierogis or equivalent.

This is it for this long guide! Hope you found it useful. See you next time!

For Deerclops, Bearger and Moose Goose you also have the option of using the Pan Flute/Gunpowder combo.

A stack of 19 Gunpowder will drop Deerclops' health enough to kill it in 2/3 hits (with a spear if I remember correctly).

A stack of 29 Gunpowder will drop Bearger and Moose Gooses health enough to kill them in 2/3 hits.

Just make sure they are no longer on fire when you land the kill shot, or the loot will burn. If you aren't interested in the loot a stack of 20/30 Gunpowder will 1 shot said bosses.

For BeeQueen you also have the option of using Bunny Hutches to do the fighting. It honestly takes quite a few Hutches to do the job. Using Wigfrids Battle Helms we needed around 30 Hutches.

For Bee Queen you will need a shovel, hammer, pitchfork, starcaller staff, 20 boards, 12 stone wall sections, 1 scaled flooring, 1 berry bush, 2 gobblers, a flingomatic, and the desire to sit still for about 75% of a day in game.

For Klaus you need a stage hand or lure plant, 4 stone wall sections, 2 signs, a hambat, football helmet, maybe 2 perogies, and maybe 3 blowdarts depending on how well you can fight 2 krampus.  You could use a pan flute as well at this point.

For Deerclops you need a biome with a lot of trees, bonus points if there are tier 3 spider dens, 20+ cooked cactus / cooked green caps, a football helmet, and heat gear either like beefalo hat, heat stone, or both.  A spear to finish her off is good too.

For fuel weaver you need 2 lure plants, and at least one houndious shootious, lazy explorer, and probably 2 days free time.

For Bearger you need a telelocator focus built on a small island near lunar biome charged with 3 purple gems and a telelocator staff.

For Ancient Guardian you need a lantern, a fresh hambat and the ability to count to 167 before nudging him away from the edge.

For MooseGoose you need a frog rain.

5 hours ago, GetNerfedOn said:

For ancient guardian its any weapon for so long as you can trap him in a pillar or a couple gravestones he can't get through

Sadly... you can lose his horn this way, next time I'll try to dodge his attacks and hit him twice before dodging again, I'm sure I could pull it off with a magiluminescence and walking cane, I need his horn

Meh I’ve just been blowing them up with gun powder.. seems to work so far!

to clarify this- I do not at all like items that make the wilderness survival any easier... and on a harder difficulty I would prefer it if Deerclops still came to wreck your base but it was a No-Eyed Deerclops and you didn’t get a thing that literally lets you ignore rain.

this game has so many Great craftable items that offer up a large variety of survival needs- But those items are instantly outclassed and forgotten about thanks to stuff like Eyebrella existing.

I heard @Canis is trying to make an Uncompromising Mode mod.. and I’m not even entirely sure if that’s even possible.

Uncompromising would mean taking away the items that make life easier for you- For example Glommer... he defeats the entire purpose of Sanity drain so he simply can’t exist in Uncompromising mode.. other things that shouldn’t exist in Uncompromising Mode are Heated or Cooled Thermal Stones.. because pretty much as long as you got a Thermal Stone you are set for life.

And when I look through the crafting tab menus for this game there’s a lot of stuff there... such as Rain Coats, and Rain hats, but durrrr why even need them let’s just get that Deerclops eye bro and also gain immunity to freak lightning strikes!

So yeah like I said when I don’t feel the need to use the boss loot drops, I either turn the bosses off completely or just blow them up with Explosions & Fire :)  Currently playing as Willow.. and I don’t mind little fire.

OR you could just use an Ice Staff to hit and anger Deerclops/Bearger and then kite them through a forest until a Treeguard spawns to kill them for you.

In the end though- I guess as long as your having fun it doesn’t really matter how you defeat the bosses...

I just wish that if Klei is building an Uncompromising Mode that items like Eyebrella, Thermal Stone, Glommer Etc you know... The Meta Stuff everyone’s used to going after wasn’t available in this mode.

I want people to actually need to use those various types of clothing and equipment instead of just defaulting to the stuff we all know works!

TL:DR- As a Solo player just blow all enemies to Valhalla with some nice gunpowder charges :) it’s quite satisfying.

41 minutes ago, Charlie Dark said:

Sadly... you can lose his horn this way, next time I'll try to dodge his attacks and hit him twice before dodging again, I'm sure I could pull it off with a magiluminescence and walking cane, I need his horn

That's why you count to 167.  167 hits with a completely fresh hambat will give you 1 more hit to kill Ancient Guardian.  So you can push him away from the edge a bit and finish him off.  If you have any parish on your hambat before the fight you might just tank a few hits while you finish him away from the edge.  I hate losing the horn too XD  But really chasing him around takes so much time and when I'm rushing ruins I"m already on such a tight schedule, no reason to waste time "doing it right" when I can just do it.

54 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I heard @Canis is trying to make an Uncompromising Mode mod.. and I’m not even entirely sure if that’s even possible.

Uncompromising would mean taking away the items that make life easier for you- For example Glommer... he defeats the entire purpose of Sanity drain so he simply can’t exist in Uncompromising mode.. other things that shouldn’t exist in Uncompromising Mode are Heated or Cooled Thermal Stones.. because pretty much as long as you got a Thermal Stone you are set for life.

No.

Instead of removing features in the base game, Uncomp's goal is to tweak them so they're less reliable. We get around the "problem" of Glommer by making insanity lethal and hard to deal with if you let it go unchecked. As for thermal stones, we've made open fires in Winter not last as long (and initially smolder before lighting up), making the strat of "tree hopping" to keep your thermal stone heated less viable.

If we removed features that aren't game-breaking but simply "powerful", we'd essentially strip DST to the bone and make a total conversion mod.

Please learn about what you are referencing and not just assume everything you say will magically fit into your argument.

I dont get the guide. If you need that gear means that you already know how to kill it so you dont need to know what you need and if you dont know how to kill them some of the gear used can be not enough for unexperience player. Its like to much stuff for kill deerclops but for other you write the minimal gear required.

7 hours ago, Dunk Mujunk said:

For Deerclops, Bearger and Moose Goose you also have the option of using the Pan Flute/Gunpowder combo.

A stack of 19 Gunpowder will drop Deerclops' health enough to kill it in 2/3 hits (with a spear if I remember correctly).

A stack of 29 Gunpowder will drop Bearger and Moose Gooses health enough to kill them in 2/3 hits.

Just make sure they are no longer on fire when you land the kill shot, or the loot will burn. If you aren't interested in the loot a stack of 20/30 Gunpowder will 1 shot said bosses.

For BeeQueen you also have the option of using Bunny Hutches to do the fighting. It honestly takes quite a few Hutches to do the job. Using Wigfrids Battle Helms we needed around 30 Hutches.

Yo much work for killing a 5k mob, no? 

9 hours ago, chenais said:

This assumes you are playing as Wilson.

9 hours ago, chenais said:

Toadstool: you will need 4-6 weather pains, 5 dark swords, 40 cooked cactus in a frigo and 5-15 pierogis or equivalent.

A Dark Sword deals 68 damage on hit, has 100 uses and thus 5 Dark Swords will deal a total of 5 * 68 * 100 = 34,000 damage.

Regular Toadstool has 52,500 health. Good luck defeating the 3rd stage of Toadstool with your bare fists.

Terrible guide as usual, made from newcomers for newcomers. I guess the "needed" in this topic is related to "if you have no clue about how to fight bosses".

3 hours ago, Charlie Dark said:

Add to this a thulecite club and you have all the speed you need. Jazzy recently posted a video rushing the ruins with Wormwood where he didn't cheese the Ancient Guardian.

5 hours ago, Charlie Dark said:

Why do people even fight bearger? Just lead him through a forest until he spawns treeguards and dies to them.

I still like waiting till he goes into hibernation sleep mode and then blowing him up with gunpowder charges lol.. Yes your way is easier.. but it doesn’t involve a pretty circle of explosives lined up around him in the shape of a Walmart smily sticker.

Why do I do these wasteful things? I’m playing ALONE I can waste as many resources as I want and not have to worry about the consequences. :) 

1 minute ago, Mike23Ua said:

I still like waiting till he goes into hibernation sleep mode and then blowing him up with gunpowder charges lol.. Yes your way is easier.. but it doesn’t involve a pretty circle of explosives lined up around him in the shape of a Walmart smily sticker.

Why do I do these wasteful things? I’m playing ALONE I can waste as many resources as I want and not have to worry about the consequences. :) 

You are not alone! You have Chester, Glommer, Abby, Hutch (if you have found Star-Sky that is)

15 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

Yo much work for killing a 5k mob, no? 

Not really. I spend the first 3/4 days of a world gathering rock and gold anyway, that covers the nitre. Charcoal is needed for Crock Pots and Drying Racks, and burning down a section of forest is not difficult. I have a Birdcage by day 5/6, combine with early mass spider farming and I have all the eggs I need by day 15/18 ready to rot.

By year 3 I have Tree Guards for Deerclops and Bearger is telelocated to the Lunar Isles. I usually don't bother with Moose Goose at all, unless I get a good Frog Rain.

I'm not a fighter/kiter. To me, much work is running back and forth for something that can be eliminated with the snap of a finger.

Archived