What more effecient

Electrolizers and water sieves use power, converts 88.8% of water to O2, requires you to deal with a "waste" gas, produces polluted dirt, but uses 20% less filtration medium (200g/s per electrolizer). 

Deodorizers convert 90% of polluted O2 to normal O2, requires almost zero power (depending on polluted water offgassing method), produces clay (arguably more useful than polluted dirt), but takes approximately 5 times the amount of filtration medium (10 deodorizers will make 900g/s O2 for 1,000g/s filtration medium). 

I prefer deodorizers for converting polluted water to O2 but there really isn't a wrong answer in my opinion. 

Which is "more efficient" depends on what you have, what you're trying to get, and what you're trying to avoid using.  If Sand is your limiting factor, stick with the Electrolizers.  If you want a higher % throughput of Oxygen, go with the Deodorizers.

9 hours ago, axxionx12 said:

Deodorizing it is much better since it also gives you a ton of clay and ultimately ceramic. Plus no power!

Well.. "much better" is situational.

You get almost the same amount of oxygen (90% vs 88%) for the mass. The "byproduct" is either clay or hydrogen. Both are very useful on their own. I wouldn't claim one is superior to the other. The power cost of the electrolyzers is offset by the hydrogen... and actually you can have a SPOM with the materials already in pipes. With the deodorizer you have to pay energy to put the oxygen in pipes (e.g. for suit docks). So again "no power"  is not a fair comparison, and in SPOMs the cost of the pumps dominates everything else. Not to mention that truly automated "hands off" setup are trivial and well known for electrolyzers (SPOMs) while automated bottling of pwater is a bit more involuted.

To me it's a matter of the source and the situation. In asteroids w/o clay you do want deodorizers. If you're in space and need H2 you're going to electrolize water anyway.

For an early game base, the deodorizer route gets you cool oxygen. Which is important in an early game base. 

For a mid game base, clay is important. 

In the late game, hydrogen and clay are both important, and oxygen is a meaningless byproduct to be vented to space. 

Archived