Hello everyone!

I rarely create my own thread's on these forums but I thought I'd try my luck and make one to answer a few questions I had about playing Wortox. A little background here, I've been playing the game for around 3-4 years, I have 1k plus hours, blah blah blah. Tl;Dr I know my stuff. Getting back to the question, I've went through playing almost every character, but as of the last year or two I've been maining Wolfgang, purely because of the potential to solo bosses, rush ruins, and overall destroy the game. After the Wortox dlc dropped, I attempted to play him a little bit but was put off by how much cooking I found myself doing early game, pig racism, and the inability to rush ruins. Since then I've gone back to Wolfgang. Assuming that I already have tons of game knowledge, I was wondering if any Wortox players had some tips or tricks pertaining to efficiently playing him. What would a ruins rush with Wortox look like? Are boss fights and the preparation for them dramatically different? (less focus on food / healing because of soul hopping) Are there certain bosses I can rush faster than Wolfgang because of soul invincibility? What would endgame farms or gear look like for Wortox? (As in, should I be keeping killer bee hives for a soul farm) Are their any other quirks that make Wortox a great character to play? Any and all input will be welcome, I'd love to have a discussion about Wortox and the strategy involved in efficiently playing this character.

Wortox is by all means a support character (in my opinion). He is the only character in the game that can heal other players in a radius around him instantaneously, and he works best when paired with Wormwood (also in my opinion). 

Here's a few tips (of which I've both seen and read from the community, so thanks goes to these fine people) that you may find useful:

• Wortox's souls in his inventory cap out at 20 and he spills half of them if he gets more than that; however one way to get around this is by carrying stacks of creatures (mostly butterflies) in your inventory, and to kill them for the amount of souls you desire in a fight.
  • Wortox's soul-hop is restricted to the areas he can directly see (so no hopping in the dark). Two workarounds would be to A.) carry a Moggles on you specifically for this reason, or B.) drop fireflies on an area you will regularly visit for a more permanent solution in the dark.
  •  Pig farms are do-able, however they are best used during a full moon for Wortox (in my opinion).
  • Getting half the benefits from food basically means twice the amount needed (for example 1 meaty stew would give Wortox 75 hunger, whereas two makes an even 150) so take advantage of recipes like Honey Ham or Meaty Stew. 

From what I've seen on public servers, the Wortoxes that struggle do so mostly because of hunger and sanity issues due to the reduced hunger from eating and the small sanity penalty from eating souls. My advice for this specific issue is to kill spiders; you get souls for health/hunger but also silk for sanity in the form of tents/siestas. The monster meat can then be used for bonus food in the form of meatballs, bacon and eggs, meaty stews, etc.

Regarding pigs, you can absolutely farm them for pig skin whether you're Wortox or Webber, even without a full-moon pig farm. All you have to do is kite and feed; all I mean is just dodge a pig punch, and instead of attacking, you just feed the monster meat to the pig. Repeat 3 more times for a tasty werepig.

There are absolutely no bosses you can rush faster than Wolfgang unfortunately. The guy's DPS and speed boost make him unmatched when it comes to solo boss speedruns. Keep in mind that the invincibility from soul hopping is only convenient if you don't know how to kite that particular boss or lack the speed to do so for a few specific bosses. 

Some extra tips for an aspiring wortoxer;

1. You can go over the soul cap via catching butterflies with nets and killing them later for souls on demand
  2. Wortox soul hop is an extremely useful traveling tool, and can get you to the atrium in the caves while wearing moggles
  3. Wortox can be very tanky with the marble suit, full inventory of souls and still be able to avoid and kite via soul hop
  4. Soul hop does have a limited range, but you will only ever reach this limit if you are using a zoom mod, yeah, its bigger then your screen.

Also as Rinkusan mentioned, you do have iframes from soul hopping, and if you can get the timing perfect you can just soul hop straight onto the boss/your own position while avoiding dmg. You may be able to get an extra hit, but wolfgang is still king of DPS.

Wortox is pretty much a support character . He is 1 of 3 people I like to play with. Meatballs and meaty stews to keep him full . Souls , healing slave , and honey poultice to heal . Sanity can be a bit of a problem until the Tam'o is procured. But jerky ,green caps and inventing prototypes are good for early sanity needs. Just remember his half of food penalty can sometimes be used for your advantage . For example monster jerky has only a small sanity penalty , and glimmers goop will only take 25 sanity away with a 20 boost to health. So if your set on sanity those are not bad ways to boost health. 

Craziest boss fight I had with him is my buddy playing Winona against the Beequeen with a bunch of catapults . I must have dropped about 300 souls from her grumble bees , neither of us had armor because I was constantly healing. Totally nuts fight.

He is a very fun character to play , just know he is a bottomless pit for food

I'll share my two cents to the topic: Wortox is a great early game ruins rusher, since you can leap the edges of the caves and get to the ruins or labyrinth faster. I managed to reach the ruins and get a magiluminiscence in a pub server as early as day 5 with Wortox, and the entrance cave was not near it, I just covered a lot of ground by teleporting.

Down there your main source of food/healing will be spiders, and maybe monkeys if they are out of the nightmare phase. But mostly anything that drop souls works to recharge, including moles and bunnies from earthquakes, slurpers, etc. I recommend after long fights, or if you are running out of souls and about to enter crowded sections, going back to spider nets for a bit and recharge. The labyrinth, is probably one of the best places to get back at 20 souls. Also eating large amounts of Lichen and blue caps will let you save souls for teleports and healing.

Wortox can ditch his 2 nightmare creatures (considering that they are not terrorbeaks) faster than most characters by teleporting in quick succession, allowing him to remain entirely insane and not summon insanity nightmares during the raid. So overall staying insane eating cooked monster meat, blue caps, lichen and souls, won't be much of an issue. 

Personally I think Wortox is a good chracter at all stages of the game. He works best when in a team, healing teammates, but he's also well suited for solo playthroughs as his perks never become obsolete in the late game. In multiplayer settings I've seen some good wortox players rarely using armor on the surface, as they are constantly gathering souls and healing, and dodging attacks teleporting. It may take some time adapting out of the 2x damage of Wolfgang, but I think you will enjoy the overall tankiness and huge mobility Wortox offers.

Wortox op, you only need to prepare more food.

Ruin rush is a walk with the jumps.

Try to keep few souls for the laberynth so you can jump easy and take all the loot in no time

If you need souls in the caves you can kill monkeys to easy access to souls

Lure plants gives you souls so you can make a soul farm with lure plants (or just kill buttleflies)

If you want to go to a dangerous place/fight you can keep alive butterflies or bees to have acces to morr souls

Always try to controll how much souls you have. Maybe dropping you sanity and half of the souls can be a bad thing if you are planning dangerous stuff

You cant use bunnymen for beequeen so i recommend you, if you already dont know, to learn how to kill bee queen alone or just make a wall with doors to deal with her bees

Fuelweavers woven shadows drops souls so take care if you want to fight him solo. The good thing is that you dont need lazy explorer but you will need to controll perfectly how much souls you can hold or bring a lot of good sanity food.

Bosses with repetitive patterns can be killed quickly if you just press F and jump near to evade their atacks but only usefull if you wanna speed up the fight and you have plenty of unnecesary souls. The rest of the time i prefer to kite and keep the souls for real troubles or eating

Fill your stomach with souls if you already are mad. It cant drop your sanity if you dont have sanity xd

I don’t know the answers to ANY of your end game questions.

but as to how I play Wortox- Consuming Souls will fill your hunger bar better than Any other food source, but at the cost of your Sanity in doing so.. even still- Souls are easily obtained by anything dying near you, Bees, Butterflies, etc.

I recommend having animals that stack in your inventory so you can have more souls when needed- Trying to carry more souls then you need will cause Wortox to be seen as “too greedy” and he’ll lose them all- A safe amount of souls to carry is probably about 16, 18-20 is the Greed Trigger.

You can Heal not just Yourself but ANYONE near you by releasing your souls instead of consuming them. Making Wortox the single best Medic class character in the Entire game.

The Soul Hop Ability used to be ALOT of use allowing Wortox to hop gaps of land and reach areas faster than anyone else- But ever since Return Of Them And them dang boat kit Platforms Wortox’s Significance with this ability has been Drastically lowered. Not to mention that the Hounds Can now also SWIM... prior to Return Of Them you could’ve Soul Hopped a gap to effectively “lose” a hound wave. That’s no longer the case anymore.. So I guess the Soul Hop is now pretty much just to save wood resources on Boat Kit platforms.

One more thing I should mention- Pigmen & Catcoon HATE Wortox and will attack him on sight, BUT Wortox can take more damage then let’s just say Willow or Wendy.. and his attacks Deal more damage as Well, So It Balances itself out in the long run.

The TL:DR- Kill Butterflies, Collect Souls, Never worry about needing to craft healing Items ever again.

Make ham bat.

Eat souls.

Get fuel.

Give meat to everyone else. Or ignore the server and eat those yourself.

For ruins rush you have the advantage of dodging (long range) attacks, everything else is almost the same as Wilson.

Yes, Wortox can rush some bosses with less gear thanks to soul hoping, so in theory you're able start killing some bosses earlier than other characters.

Leaving some hives is fine, but if you have ice fling and a bee farm you can put the boxes on fire and kill the bees all the same. Or make a bunny farm, wall it and put spiders at the corner right along the base to get your souls while carrying the server with free spider stuff.

Turn off the game sound if you're going to be eating only souls.

If the server has a shadow manipulator and a wormwood you just got free dark swords.

Late game he falls off compared to his early game.

i main wortox, and i love it. he's absolutely an EXTREMELY different playstyle than other characters, but so fun. know that if you play in a group, there's a certain kind of pressure put on you by being an easy healer. make sure your friends don't become too dependent on soul drops. 

bosses can be difficult to solo, especially because befriendable mobs aren't an option, but definitely doable and the fun is in the challenge. it's a wildly different fighting style than every other character and it can be fun to use wortox to come up with new techniques. 

caves rushing is, imo, the absolute best for wortox. no need to stock up on food as long as you have armor and weapons. feast on souls of fallen bats and spiders and bunnymen, and if you don't want to deal with low sanity, just spend time going nuts in a green mushtree biome. it's super easy to become dependent on souls as an emergency food source, tbh. it's been hard to remember i need food in a pinch playing as other characters.

also, after enough time, food doing half stats definitely becomes adjustable. spam cheap meaty stews forever. 

my personal favorite part of playing wortox really is the soul hop, though. so fun. so exploitable. poof over every jump like it's nothing. makin stealing from pengulls an absolute breeze.

Anyone who described Wortox as “mainly a support character” has been playing too many pubs.

He’s mobile, flexible, has great self-healing and is fantastic solo.

I’m not a huge fan of his aesthetic but his playstyle is fun and versatile and by any measure he’s above average at combat.

3 hours ago, Toros said:

Anyone who described Wortox as “mainly a support character” has been playing too many pubs.

He’s mobile, flexible, has great self-healing and is fantastic solo.

I’m not a huge fan of his aesthetic but his playstyle is fun and versatile and by any measure he’s above average at combat.

Agreed. His invincibility frames during soul hopping can be great in boss fights, aswell as hoarding souls via catching bees or butterflies to resupply yourself being a great self-sustaining method, since it refills both your hunger and hp with ease. I recommend trying rushing ruins with Wortox to anyone who hasn't, it can be both very fun and thrilling.

Just wanna add, if you're playing with someone else, a Wendy and Wortox combo is unstoppable. With Abigail and a good spider farm, you can get 20+ souls in less than a day and all you have to do is stand there.  

On 5/1/2020 at 12:37 AM, Scarecrow0_0 said:

What would a ruins rush with Wortox look like? Are boss fights and the preparation for them dramatically different? (less focus on food / healing because of soul hopping) Are there certain bosses I can rush faster than Wolfgang because of soul invincibility? What would endgame farms or gear look like for Wortox? (As in, should I be keeping killer bee hives for a soul farm) Are their any other quirks that make Wortox a great character to play? Any and all input will be welcome, I'd love to have a discussion about Wortox and the strategy involved in efficiently playing this character.

Ruins rush looks like pretty much everyone else, just have to be mindful of hunger.  Since each soul heals you for 20 hp a pop, you can starve for 16 seconds and eat something then drop a soul to heal the hunger pain.  If using a healing item for food, then you can starve longer (starving hurts 1.25hp/sec, heal food is 1/2 effective; t = (20+hpgain/2)/1.25).  Example a butterfly wing would let you starve for 19.2 seconds.  Combined with having butterflies in your inventory from nets, each butterfly murdered keeps hunger at bay for 49.2 seconds (t = (20+hpgain/2)/1.25) + hungergain/0.3125).

Boss fights are similar to the other characters, but if you want extra protection then you can collect butterflies with a net for a surge of souls on murder as a safety net.  Shadow clockworks are pretty easy to do, especially the tier 3 rook with the soul hop invincible frames, when compared to other characters.

You'll be trading the time it takes to catch butterflies to store more souls versus as Wolfgang getting more armour/healing items.  So it's a bit RNG who'll get to start faster with safety nets.

On an endless a varg or bunnyman farm makes souls easy, bees are a bit slow when comparing.

Quirks not so much, just the invincibility during a hop.  If you get a ghost after you, then you can make it forget about you if you go 64*1.2 units away from it to make the ghost go into limbo.  Easily done with telepoofing.

I like playing as him on endless due to his super high mobility.  People'll say that his mobility is not that great because you have to collect souls, but to that I say that the game plays in an ebb and flow manner such that in the ebbs you collect and the flow you go.

If using certain exploits, then he becomes a powerhouse and the de facto best character in the game; this should not be used to judge though just here as a note.

Archived