Suggestion about improving tackle&spectackler box.

The tackle box and spectackler box was introduced in recent update. In order to open tackle box, first you need to drop the tackle box and right-click to open it. But this mechanism is a little hard when your ship is full of structures like my case in this short clip :

And  I usually store my tackle box in my chests. If the tackle box is dropped on deck, I unintentionally pick up the tackle box so many times, when I try to pick up other things - such as caught fish, salt crystals, monster meat and cookie cutter shell from cookie cutters, etc...

If I want to open tackle box in the chest I need to open the chest and drop the tackle box and right-click the tackle box to open. I feel this a little bit inconvenient. So.. here I suggest to introduce the ways to open containers from.. "The Gorge." You can understand what it means right away after watching this short clip below :

In fact, I was impressed about this opening method when the Gorge came out. If we can open the tackle box and spectackler box this way, It would improve the ocean fishing experience on cramped ol' ship drastically!

3 Things:

1. I definitely agree that the tackle box can be frustrating at times, especially in the types of scenarios you listed.
  2. Unfortunately, the videos don't seem to be working (at least on my end, so correct me if I'm wrong).
  3. I was originally going to suggest moving this thread to "Suggestions", but lets be honest, no one really goes there anymore lol. 

12 minutes ago, Owlrus98 said:

Unfortunately, the videos don't seem to be working (at least on my end, so correct me if I'm wrong).

It seems to work well for now..!

I was originally going to suggest moving this thread to "Suggestions"

Well, I initially thought the same thing, but...

no one really goes there anymore lol

haha...

7 minutes ago, minespatch said:

Why is your boat so crowded?:wilson_shocked:

because I prefer to put everything I can in one boat. :adoration:

I also didn't use any kind of mod while build my boat.

I think the tackle box was designed more for you to carry it with you on land, then use it whenever you see free fish. In a boat you already have a movable chest.

As for the video, break the chest at the border and use that space for the box if you really want it in your boat.

5 chests on a boat are overkill. With good item management you won't even need one.

6 hours ago, HeatAndRun said:

The tackle box and spectackler box was introduced in recent update. In order to open tackle box, first you need to drop the tackle box and right-click to open it. But this mechanism is a little hard when your ship is full of structures like my case in this short clip :

And  I usually store my tackle box in my chests. If the tackle box is dropped on deck, I unintentionally pick up the tackle box so many times, when I try to pick up other things - such as caught fish, salt crystals, monster meat and cookie cutter shell from cookie cutters, etc...

If I want to open tackle box in the chest I need to open the chest and drop the tackle box and right-click the tackle box to open. I feel this a little bit inconvenient. So.. here I suggest to introduce the ways to open containers from.. "The Gorge." You can understand what it means right away after watching this short clip below :

In fact, I was impressed about this opening method when the Gorge came out. If we can open the tackle box and spectackler box this way, It would improve the ocean fishing experience on cramped ol' ship drastically!

how can you even fit so much junk in your boat??!

The way I fix this is by just keeping it on my boat and kinda use it as another chest
I also have the pick up filters mod and have blacklisted the Spectackler box so i dont pick it up by accident.

Also I dont have so many useless / redundant structures on my boat  :wilson_sneaky:

11 hours ago, Sweaper said:

I think the tackle box was designed more for you to carry it with you on land, then use it whenever you see free fish. In a boat you already have a movable chest.

As for the video, break the chest at the border and use that space for the box if you really want it in your boat.

5 chests on a boat are overkill. With good item management you won't even need one.

Maybe the small tackle box is like that, but the spectackler box is definitely much, much better than a chest...
image.png.3d76e6af883a0bf6f4128c4455130d4c.png

I can have every single type of lure and a bunch of extra floats in case accidents happen. All in one storage unit, which is more convenient than 2 different chests.
Another thing about the tackle boxes is that you can move them near the edge of the boat at whichever direction your camera is facing, which makes them even more convenient to use than chests.

And I wouldn't say 5 chests on a boat is overkill. I've been making boats my main base, so while I do have a land base for mass storage and extra structures and stuff, I still keep a bunch of chests on my boat for storing things I find in my travels or necessary items like equipment, materials, etc. I find 5 chests to be a good amount, but definitely not overkill.

OP's boat definitely does have an unnecessary amount of structures (a bunch of which are redundant or purely decorational), but I agree with their suggestion... not because the current design is inconvenient or anything, just because I think it'd make it easier to use (as I'd be able to open it by right clicking it from my inventory and close it by pressing the action button, since it'll have landed right next to me)

2 hours ago, Electroely said:

Bottom 3 lures are unnecessary if you know the fish's silhouette which is pretty easy to remember just by their size alone, no need for more than one type of floats (the wood one is already great as it is and extremely cheap for what you get), so in total you use 8 slots, actually less because the stupefying lure overshadows all basic lures, and if you don't mind a little more slow catching during snow or rain then you can get away with that lure alone, exception being when you are trying to get only heavy fish for quest purposes or bragging, so I guess even the box is overkill inventory wise now that I think about it, and not really convenient since carrying 5 lures isn't hard at all if you'll be on a boat for a long time.

As for the chest you can carry all equipment you need with you using just a normal backpack. Since hounds won't appear while on boat, just leave your dark sword behind and carry the very basic resources to survive on a boat long term which is a thermal stone, boards for light and ice flingomatic (turn it on only when something catches a fire otherwise it's a waste of resources) and eyebrella, if you don't like using the mast + anchor with fast drops for some small maneuvers than you will need to sacrifice 2 slots for oar and logs. You'll have enough to carry a lot of useless stuff you find and if somehow it's not enough just drop the items you have no need for in a corner. And I haven't even mentioned piggyback or the OP sack. As for sanity issues you have fish food and dried kelp.

But for a private server you can do whatever since time is not a concern and you can complete enough quests to get the better box. For public I won't ever waste time building chests (the only exception being ruins rushing or when bored with nothing to do), chests are way better used as fuel. And the basic 3 lures is enough to get all but 3 fishes so I could just go lure-less for those last 3 whenever I feel like trying to complete the pokedex.

Well everyone, first thanks for the comments. But I wanna let you know the basic concept of my ship is 'movable base that can live year-round doing fishing and mining salt', which requires so many materials from land as grass, twigs, logs, eyebrella, beefalo hat, stone fruit, bundles, boat patch, gold, bedroll, thermal stone, floats and lures, pocket scale, pig skin, weapons, luxury fan, lazy forager (for salt), and extra storage for looted salt, cookie cutter shell, drops of sunken chest. So 5 chests ain't that much.

And the spectackler box-which is a 15 - slots container that can be stored in other containers can help inventory managing a lot. You don't have a reason not to use it if you have one!

Also other structures I built on my ship greatly improve my ocean nomadic experience, so there're appropriate reasons I built those for much convenience. (Except the decorations. I consider removing those to make my long voyage drabber. :adoration:)

But most importantly I just want to tell "How to improve tackle box", not for saying something like "My ship showcase", So it's grateful if you take that into account. :encouragement:

56 minutes ago, Sweaper said:

Bottom 3 lures are unnecessary if you know the fish's silhouette which is pretty easy to remember just by their size alone, no need for more than one type of floats (the wood one is already great as it is and extremely cheap for what you get), so in total you use 8 slots, actually less because the stupefying lure overshadows all basic lures, and if you don't mind a little more slow catching during snow or rain then you can get away with that lure alone, exception being when you are trying to get only heavy fish for quest purposes or bragging, so I guess even the box is overkill inventory wise now that I think about it, and not really convenient since carrying 5 lures isn't hard at all if you'll be on a boat for a long time.

I chose the two types of floats just because I wanted to fill that slot under the Malbatross quill float with something. Wooden bobbers are definitely not great, though. Especially the wooden ball bobber. Horrible distance and accuracy, which is especially noticeable when trying to hook ocean debris or fast fish like the deep bass.
As for whether a lure is necessary or not, you realistically only need one lure to catch every fish. The Crabby Hermit's lures work on all types of fish, and since the stupefying lure has no condition that allows it to hook fish (unlike the other 3), you can just carry that one and you're covered. But the point isn't just to be able to catch fish, it's to be able to catch them efficiently. That's what makes fishing into a viable playstyle rather than a side task.

The Stupefying lure is actually one of the more situational lures, in my opinion. It can hook every fish so I do use it for Fallounders and Bloonfin Tunas even if it doesn't affect them in particular a whole lot, but in other cases I'll pick another lure. The chance of a fish biting a stupefying lure is low, so it takes a moment to actually hook a fish. Its main ability is making fish get tired faster, which isn't noticeable for many fish, but it is pretty handy for Corn Cod, Mudfish, Ice Breams and Black Catfish. I'm not sure how good it actually is, since the low bite chance does take up time and I'm not sure the decreased stamina makes up for it. I don't want to say it's bad, but I know that it definitely does not overshadow basic lures or the two weather ones.
Rainy Day and Snow Day lures have a significantly higher chance of getting fish to bite on their first nibble. They're especially great for catching deep bass from the Malbatross's shoals, though I'll use them for catching more or less any fish I want (provided the stupefying lure isn't more suited) as long as the weather is right.
The heavy weighted lure is admittedly not all that useful late game, but I keep it around because I try to collect many heavy seasonal fishes so I can get extra sketches for the rare lures if I ever happen to need them.
Spinnerbait has a relatively high chance of hooking fish, so although it's not as good as Rainy Day and Snow Day, I still use them very often (especially since Rainy Day and Snow Day combined can only be used for half the year). Spoons have a lower bite chance, so I hardly ever find myself using them. Small fish aren't worth waiting around for with spoons, so I only catch them with the weather lures. I'll occasionally try casting the heavy weighted lure into the school to see if there's any that'll get attracted to it (since it also has a high bite chance).
I mainly keep the spoons because I already made them, but even if you remove them from the box that's still 7 slots taken up by the useful bait (that means I'm excluding the heavy weighted lure) and the floats (assuming I'm only using 1 kind). And plus, the spoons make the tackle box more appealing to look at, since it looks more organized and less empty.

1 hour ago, Sweaper said:

As for the chest you can carry all equipment you need with you using just a normal backpack. Since hounds won't appear while on boat, just leave your dark sword behind and carry the very basic resources to survive on a boat long term which is a thermal stone, boards for light and ice flingomatic (turn it on only when something catches a fire otherwise it's a waste of resources) and eyebrella, if you don't like using the mast + anchor with fast drops for some small maneuvers than you will need to sacrifice 2 slots for oar and logs. You'll have enough to carry a lot of useless stuff you find and if somehow it's not enough just drop the items you have no need for in a corner. And I haven't even mentioned piggyback or the OP sack. As for sanity issues you have fish food and dried kelp.

I don't want to use my boat just for basic survival, though, I wanna effectively use it as a mini-base. While it definitely can't have the storage space of a land base, having 5 chests lets you store a lot of important items like hound teeth, stingers, wood, silk, etc. and extra equipment like partially used tools, armor and weapons (although I usually only make one dark sword at a time, I sometimes make two so I don't have to craft one mid-fight against the Malbatross and end up with a spare). I also carry a bunch of extra Malbatross bills on the boat in case the one I'm currently using breaks. It's a very handy item and I'd hate to find myself stuck in the ocean without one. Plus, items I may collect while out in the sea like Malbatross feathers, cookie cutter shells, salt crystals or gnarwail horns could use a chest of their own too.

Overall, it's just a matter of choice. Choosing between just catching fish for their required uses or living off fish as a source of food changes what kind of bait you'd wanna carry, and choosing between using a boat for travel or for basically everything you do changes what kind of items you'd carry on it and how you'd store them. Most items don't even need a chest because you can just drop them on the boat.

8 hours ago, Electroely said:

Especially the wooden ball bobber.

Never had any problem with it, even at long distances. The price of others doesn't make them worth the time if all you want is fish for a few years.

But the point isn't just to be able to catch fish, it's to be able to catch them efficiently.

Efficiency and fishing, ok. Are you using them to carry a server? Because even with all the right lures you won't be able to.

The chance of a fish biting a stupefying lure is low, so it takes a moment to actually hook a fish.

My precious seconds, not even considering the time you save fighting fish you can't get on the first click.

hound teeth, stingers, wood, silk, etc

What are you using hound teeth, stinger, silk on a fishing boat? Eyebrella can go for more than an entire year, specially with a fire pit right at your side, stinger is only useful on a fighting boat, otherwise it will be a pain to click at the right spot on an overloaded boat or just plain too risky losing everything.

Plus, items I may collect while out in the sea like Malbatross feathers, cookie cutter shells, salt crystals or gnarwail horns could use a chest of their own too.

Drop everything in a corner, chests are overrated and time consuming. You're not going to be using those items on a boat either way.

Choosing between just catching fish for their required uses or living off fish as a source of food changes what kind of bait you'd wanna carry

Yes, just get the stamina draining one if you just want to live off fish and get the weight one for quest requirements. You're making it look like fishing is something extremely hard to do without all lures, try yourself for a year or so to see. The only exception being Wortox and Warly, even with all the lures you're not going to have fun satisfying them and to some extent Wolf because of his animation cancelling and losing plenty of lures overtime if you're not careful, so basically you have to waste time waiting the animation before casting.

Edit: I'm seeing two people confused, sorry English isn't my first language, if you didn't understand what I wrote let me know so I can fix it.

Can we get on topic of the suggestion? Sure they might have some unnessacary structures, but I see literally no reason why someone wouldnt want it to be like the gorge cookpots where you can open it in the inventory and have it drop on the ground.

Your boat is almost comedicaly overstuffed. Your boats should only have essential structures.

However, as Klei adds more boat parts, I do hope they begin to rethink some structures and try to find alternatives so that our boats don't have to be so overcrowded. You can just about get the bare essentials on your boat as it is.

So for example, there's literally no need for the Tackle Receptacle to be a new structure. It could be like a book you carry instead, that when you open, lets you access recipes (like Maxwell's). 

Oh here is a little tip for any Wormwoods making mega farms: Spectackler boxes can store seeds in them
And with 15 storage slots that can be reduced to take up only 1 slot... this means you dont need 3 people helping with picking up and carrying seeds, you just need 1-2 spectackler boxes which are easy to get if not slightly time consuming to unlock in the first place.

This isnt anything about improving the tackle box, its just a tip i found when using it

Okay, at this point I'm even desired to change this topic title from 'Suggestion about improving tackle&spectackler box.' to 'See my stupidly narrow and cramped boat and analyse how bad it is!!'. :apologetic:

P.S. I changed my boat more appropriate* way. Are you guys satisfied?

image.thumb.png.a04fb2eaba6773d72bb5c1717a5b86a2.png

Of course it's a joke and everyone could tell their opinion ^_^

I agree that it'd be smoother and less frustrating if you could open the tackle box from inventory like a Gorge container! Still boggling at the number of chests and structures you have, though. What's the point of the mushlight or the salt box? (Though on the other hand, "throw all your sailing loot on the floor instead of using any chests on the boat" is the opposite of a helpful suggestion for your 'picking up the wrong thing when the tacklebox is on the ground' problem.)

I think a good change to the tackle boxes would be to make it so that the tackle currently on your rod automatically goes into the box if you right-click to attach tackle directly from the box. It'd save me a bunch of clicks switching between the different time-of-day lures.

Archived