Ok Klei so umm... how am I supposed to kill the Crab King?

45 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

You need almost an entire ice staff to freeze him.

Are you putting all blue gems in the crab king? Each blue gem raises the freeze resistance by 1.

EDIT: Also, the freeze range goes up with every blue gem, in addition to freeze time for players. While it is relevant with the pearl, it’s not enough to be too impossible. Most normal characters are going to struggle big time, though...

You actually can pretty reliably use blow darts if you produce a large amount. It’s just not as easy and mindless as panfluting anymore. As far as how the fight went with one other person and I, I drove the boat and managed the anchor occasionally assisting in hitting things when possible, while she prioritized fighting the whole time. Quite the fun experience and challenge! 

When the update comes.. I will attempt to kill it the same way I kill Bearger in DST when playing alone.

Spoiler

Purposely placed Gunpowder charges all over everywhere that I rig to set off from a safe distance away.

How Hard can it be right??? Since Crab King isn’t like some Gears of War Boss with certain points you have to attack to weaken him before you can kill.. Instead I would imagine that a few “Dummy Boats” slammed full of Gunpowder Charges detonated from a safe distance away (Sacrificing the Dummy Boats in the Process) would be enough to make quick work of him.

Right????? 

1 hour ago, Well-met said:

have we figured out the weakest gem recipe meta yet?

Depends on how you do it (as of patch 406832).

For a melee kill (Solo Might Wolfgang or with a group of like 3 ppl+), 8 Purple Gems + 1 Pearl (for the Celestial Tribute).

Spoiler
  • 6 Ice Staff shots to freeze Crab King so his geyser spell gets canceled (this spell also occurs after a Freeze spell). It's why we use the Purple Gems, which increases the geyser count that ultimately gets canceled.
  • Run to the back of your boat to avoid the freeze spell (it won't freeze you and this saves on Ice Stave usage).
  • Weather Pain Crab King when he's healing himself so he drops his rocks (WP, count to 3, WP). It takes 2 hits for Crab King to drop a rock to stop healing due to the orange gem buff. Not really necessary with a group of like 3-4 people? 
  • Kill Crab Claws & repair your boat with boat patches as needed (since they heal boat hp now).

In my experience, solo Mighty Wolfgang (no Warly buffs) is able to solo Crab King with ease while its a struggle for chars with a normal damage modifier, such as Wilson (I tried a lot, I really did).

The reason for this is the Crab Claws. They respawn rather quickly, do about 45 damage upon grabbing your boat, and then do about 8-9 damage every few seconds with their "crunching-the-boat" animation. Your boat only has 200 hp and since you have to deal with 3 Crab Claws at once, you're down to like 65 boat hp that quickly dwindles to zero if the Crab Claws are not dealt with fast (they have 600 hp with this combo btw). It's also why Mighty Wolf can solo this boss while I couldn't with Wilson (unless you manage to only get 1-2 Crab Claws, but that was hard for me to replicate).

Group play can run into an issue where if Crab King is attacked in the same frame he is frozen while doing a spell, his spell instantly activates. They fixed it for the freezing spell, but not for the sinking spell :/

Otherwise, just do Killer Bees with purple/orange gems + pearl. 

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Hint: Figure out a way to unfreeze the bees & how to deal with them afterwords. That's all I'll say :>

7 hours ago, Well-met said:

I don't get the basics. When is the ice staff for? Why not just hit him during his regen? How do you dodge his aoe freeze?

Ice staff When he is chaneling. For healing you need to broke the rocks before he heals his self (similar to fw) so hitting him at the rythm of his healing or using weather pain is the best.

To dodge the ice spell just go to the edge of your boat 

was I the only person whose first thought with this guy was "get a malbatross bill or driftwood oar to dodge him"? I tried that alone and was able to dodge most of his fissures, I'm sure if you had two people it would be easier and one person could spend most of the time smacking. The only complication there are his claws. It's a shame that literally everyone is trying to cheese this boss for solo play, I just want to see a single group fight him the way he's likely intended. even when my friend invited me to rush to kill him the plan was using the ice staff to freeze him.

No one answered my spoiler post.. the update is NOT on PS4 or Xbox yet so all I can do is guess.

and my question was-

Spoiler

Can I place a bunch of dummy boats loaded in Gunpowder around him and carefully detonate that from a safe distance to kill him easily while in SOLO Gameplay like I do with the Bearger?

Archived