Is dst going to have its motif changed?

Lol you guys only know every inch of it because you watch videos or guides for it, or use admin commands or look into the games data files etc...

MEANWHILE- I’m still on Xbox without a single clue how to put a bait and tackle on the Sea Fishing Rod.

I wouldn't have it any other way either.. I like to figure things out for myself and learn from experience playing, do you know I used to go into glorious combat against Beefalo to Murder them because I thought that was the ONLY way to obtain their Wool? 

LOL The more you know...

It just depresses me a great deal that Klei spends a good bit of time making these updates like She Sells Sea Shells, And people have torn through that content and every possible thing you can do with it in probably less than 40 minutes time give or take.

You guys want and expect the game to be harder but you don’t take the time to enjoy the content Klei’s already providing.

As soon as the new update drops for Xbox I’m going to first spend quite some time to even locate hermit lady, and then I’ll attempt every possible way I can think of to kill the so called Unkillable NPC.

Thats Day One Of my Update Adventure.

Day Two (assuming I’ve found and accomplished Day One) involves going to find Wobster Den and eat Wobster Just because #Shipwrecked Memories.

Day Three.. will involve socketing various things into the Crab King to witness first hand the results of that.

Day Four will probably involve some crazy scheme to take Beefalo to fight him after I’ve failed a few times.

6 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Lol you guys only know every inch of it because you watch videos or guides for it, or use admin commands or look into the games data files etc...

MEANWHILE- I’m still on Xbox without a single clue how to put a bait and tackle on the Sea Fishing Rod.

I wouldn't have it any other way either.. I like to figure things out for myself and learn from experience playing, do you know I used to go into glorious combat against Beefalo to Murder them because I thought that was the ONLY way to obtain their Wool? 

LOL The more you know...

It just depresses me a great deal that Klei spends a good bit of time making these updates like She Sells Sea Shells, And people have torn through that content and every possible thing you can do with it in probably less than 40 minutes time give or take.

You guys want and expect the game to be harder but you don’t take the time to enjoy the content Klei’s already providing.

As soon as the new update drops for Xbox I’m going to first spend quite some time to even locate hermit lady, and then I’ll attempt every possible way I can think of to kill the so called Unkillable NPC.

Thats Day One Of my Update Adventure.

Day Two (assuming I’ve found and accomplished Day One) involves going to find Wobster Den and eat Wobster Just because #Shipwrecked Memories.

Day Three.. will involve socketing various things into the Crab King to witness first hand the results of that.

Day Four will probably involve some crazy scheme to take Beefalo to fight him after I’ve failed a few times.

youve been told on the forums before that bragging about this is annoying, I already made the point, if you want to repeat that you play the game without guides thats cool, but this is a bit excessive

Spoiler

"While I hate to side with the idea of anti-walkthrough elitism, the only reason this game seems to get easier is because NOW you know every inch of it, through playing or the internet.."

its, while an extreme analogy, like bragging to a fat perso about how much more you enjoy your food than them.

It’s meant to be funny, a joke, not bragging.. I don’t REALLY expect 100 gunpowder to level Crabby Hermits Island, (we will see..) But mostly it’s just to make people laugh.

If you use guides and walkthroughs that’s fine that’s on you, but since the game was advertised and I bought it as an Uncompromising Wilderness Survival Game with Quote “no tutorials or Hand holding..” 

then Thats what I want to play it as. If YOU want to play different from that then that’s strictly your business, but You can’t be mad at me for enjoying the game the way it was advertised as. Even if that means I never learn anything or get very far.

1 minute ago, Mike23Ua said:

It’s meant to be funny, a joke, not bragging.. I don’t REALLY expect 100 gunpowder to level Crabby Hermits Island, (we will see..) But mostly it’s just to make people laugh.

If you use guides and walkthroughs that’s fine that’s on you, but since the game was advertised and I bought it as an Uncompromising Wilderness Survival Game with Quote “no tutorials or Hand holding..” 

then Thats what I want to play it as. If YOU want to play different from that then that’s strictly your business, but You can’t be mad at me for enjoying the game the way it was advertised as. Even if that means I never learn anything or get very far.

yeah, it is anyone's own business how they play the game, but nobody likes humble-bragging

39 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Did you try pressing any buttons?

People keep mentioning adventure mode, and I would love if they implemented that. Not like solo adventure mode, but imagine this: you kill the Ancient fuelweaver, which leads to the ancient gateway being fully active. You can then choose to enter the gateway, leading to The Forge, slightly modified to fit the number of players. After the Forge is beaten, what happens next depends on the number of players. If there are 6 players, half the players would enter the Gorge and theother half would enter a new event I expect from the future continuing that. Then, each team would be sent to the event they didn't do. there would probably be one more 6-player event and then the final boss: Charlie herself. Succeeding in defeating her would lead to game over; the survivors leave the constant, returning to their old lives. It would also lead to the unlocking of a new playable character: Charlie.

37 minutes ago, derplord said:

People keep mentioning adventure mode, and I would love if they implemented that. Not like solo adventure mode, but imagine this: you kill the Ancient fuelweaver, which leads to the ancient gateway being fully active. You can then choose to enter the gateway, leading to The Forge, slightly modified to fit the number of players. After the Forge is beaten, what happens next depends on the number of players. If there are 6 players, half the players would enter the Gorge and theother half would enter a new event I expect from the future continuing that. Then, each team would be sent to the event they didn't do. there would probably be one more 6-player event and then the final boss: Charlie herself. Succeeding in defeating her would lead to game over; the survivors leave the constant, returning to their old lives. It would also lead to the unlocking of a new playable character: Charlie.

You do realize that'd require running like additional 3 servers? Sure maybe you have a NASA computer but most of the playerbase don't

7 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

You do realize that'd require running like additional 3 servers? Sure maybe you have a NASA computer but most of the playerbase don't

believe me, my computer is no NASA cpu. It's a slow dinosaur. My solution to the multi-servers is if one team fails, everyone has to start over.

Something else I find interesting is people complaining about Wurt. I personally find her very mysterious, With a hidden background. The horns suggest being a former goat, meaning that she came from the Quagmire, having recieved the Gnaw's plague. I really hope that we can gain more Wurt lore when The Gorge returns.

I mean, I dunno... Don't Starve will always be the "creepier" out of the bunch, mostly because of the sense of loneliness and unease.

I still remember hearing the Deerclops moaning in the dark of the night for the first time. It just wouldn't have the same effect in DST. Not because you're surrounded by goofiness, the cartoonish style or what not, but because you generally have something watching your back. (and let's not even think about the fact that the game even allows you to respawn depending on the game mode, an option that wasn't available in Don't Starve unless you had the touch stones active)

For that reason, I don't really mind that DST is moving into the cartoony direction. It's still obviously keeping the uneasy aspect (Lunar islands? creepy concept in and of itself), but instead of shying away from doing something new, they just go neck deep into it. If DS is a survival "horror" experience, then DST can be the fun, mess around with your friends experience. Go with the grain and not against it, I say.

As far as trailers go, put the "old film" filter back on top of the gameplay demos. Problem solved. Maybe remove the pure white borders, or at least decrease the thickness and make the it more of an eggshell white.

The in-game creepiness has decreased massively IMO, but not because of the art style change. The main issues are the players and the skin system.

When any player first started, Don't Starve seemed a lot more creepy because nearly everything was completely unknown. Everything was scary because it could seemingly kill us at any moment, and you had to interact with these potentially dangerous systems. Forests were scary if you didn't know how treeguards spawned or how to deal with them. Pigs were scary because once in a while they'd transform and try to murder you, especially with Base DS's unpredictable moon cycle. Tall birds were weird and scary and chased you forever. Beefalo could suddenly turn hostile. There was an enemy in the swamp that could pop out from beneath the ground. There were robots that attacked you on sight. And finally there was a terrifying giant that hunted you down in the middle of winter. 

Then, we got better. We learned how to kill everything with minimal losses to ourselves. We learned where to get food. We learned why some creatures would or wouldn't attack. We learned to spot tentacles. We learned how to not have deerclops destroy our base. The game became less scary when we knew what to do and could approach the world knowing what it had in store. A new, solo player would probably find DST today just as spooky as you did when you first picked up DS.

However, there is one new addition in DST that I believe completely destroys immersion: The Skin Drops. The skin drops completely break the "feel" of the game every hour by asking you to "click here for your prize". It is a reminder that you are not a pyromaniac orphan, bereaved child, over-the-top method actor, or cursed lumberjack. It reminds you that you are playing a game in the 21st century. You might have been experiencing a death defying adventure or an uncompromising game of wilderness survival, but now it's time to play dress up. So drop what you're doing and get to a science machine because you don't want to waste any potential skin drops do you?

I understand completely that skins are necessary to the longevity of the game and keeping the servers running. But it still is, in my opinion, the greatest problem hurting the game's feel.

9 minutes ago, S19TealPenguin said:

However, there is one new addition in DST that I believe completely destroys immersion: Skin Drops- They completely break the "feel" of the game every hour by asking you to "click here for your prize". 

Skins are necessary to the longevity of the game and keeping the servers running. But it still is, in my opinion, the greatest problem hurting the game's feel.

I’m just going to straight up ask, is this a Biased opinion? And that you dislike the skins because you feel like they take away development time that could be spent on making the game even more Totally Uncompromising?

The reason I Ask this is because I play State of Decay 2.. and I can play dress up and Decorate my Survivors, their vehicles & loadouts in various ways.. Just because I have access to a few clothing options or weapon skins doesn’t change or alter the game in any way.

The only difference that I can tell is that DST lets you open your gifts at a Science Machine when it’s peaceful and nothing is attempting to murder you, Where as to obtain that same purple plaid shirt in SoD 2 requires going into some creepy warehouse & searching through all the cabinets while a fat zombie stands outside pounding on the walls alerting more and more zombies to come my way.

TL:DR- NEITHER of these games become any less Sandbox Survival because of their Cosmetic Customization options.

7 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I’m just going to straight up ask,

And that you dislike the skins because you feel like they take away development time that could be spent on making the game even more Totally Uncompromising?

The reason I Ask this is because I play State of Decay 2.. and I can play dress up and Decorate my Survivors, their vehicles & loadouts in various ways.. Just because I have access to a few clothing options or weapon skins doesn’t change or alter the game in any way.

The only difference that I can tell is that DST lets you open your gifts at a Science Machine when it’s peaceful and nothing is attempting to murder you, Where as to obtain that same purple plaid shirt in SoD 2 requires going into some creepy warehouse & searching through all the cabinets while a fat zombie stands outside pounding on the walls alerting more and more zombies to come my way.

TL:DR- NEITHER of these games become any less Sandbox Survival because of their Cosmetic Customization options.

It changes the way I interact with the game in a negative way. I go from "Today I'd rather play another game so I will not launch DST" to "I should be checking in with the game at least once a day or I lose out on skin drops" or when I'm playing "This is a good stopping point to put the game down for the day" becomes "Just ten more minutes to get the next skin drop".

13 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

is this a Biased opinion?

All opinions are biased. I clarified that was my own opinion and experience several times.

14 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

dislike the skins because you feel like they take away development time that could be spent on making the game even more Totally Uncompromising?

Artists and programmers are different people. Besides, any single content drop has many more sprites (and most of them are animated, unlike skins) than Klei's skin drops

1 hour ago, S19TealPenguin said:

However, there is one new addition in DST that I believe completely destroys immersion: The Skin Drops. The skin drops completely break the "feel" of the game every hour by asking you to "click here for your prize". It is a reminder that you are not a pyromaniac orphan, bereaved child, over-the-top method actor, or cursed lumberjack. It reminds you that you are playing a game in the 21st century. You might have been experiencing a death defying adventure or an uncompromising game of wilderness survival, but now it's time to play dress up. So drop what you're doing and get to a science machine because you don't want to waste any potential skin drops do you?

I understand completely that skins are necessary to the longevity of the game and keeping the servers running. But it still is, in my opinion, the greatest problem hurting the game's feel.

For you perhaps is so, at face value. Or you have ulterior motives to not like skins. Who knows... :)

One can go via lore and explain the skin system as Charlie wanting to play shenanigans on survivors: dress them up like lil dolls in her play to only smash said dolls on a whim because.. chaotic evil.

I think a lot of the creepy/strange aesthetic from the original game came from the single player aspect of it. It was just you, the monsters and Maxwell, no one else (except Chester). You felt alone. WIth DST, there is a little more camaraderie and I think that scales down the creepiness factor, atleast for me. Especially since I play only with friends exclusively, I feel like having them around definitely makes me feel more relaxed in the world. 

1 hour ago, AquaAtia said:

I think a lot of the creepy/strange aesthetic from the original game came from the single player aspect of it. It was just you, the monsters and Maxwell, no one else (except Chester). You felt alone. WIth DST, there is a little more camaraderie and I think that scales down the creepiness factor, atleast for me. Especially since I play only with friends exclusively, I feel like having them around definitely makes me feel more relaxed in the world. 

I’ve never been alone, I’ve always had my dearly departed sister Abigail <3

well uhh I mean once I played as Wilson long enough to Unlock Wendy that is.

Archived