Plox Don't Buff Wes

Wurt is a useful addition to the cast. Webber is a useful addition to the cast. Wortox, Woodie, Willow, Winona, Wolfgang, Pickle Rick, Wormwood, Maxwell, Wigfrid, and Wilson/Warly kinda but that's another topic. Anyhow, I play Wes in 90% of DST worlds and I am happy with how he is right now. I'm honestly really worried that the Wes rework will end with him being buffed into being a useful character.

Spoiler

I don't care if noobs pick Wes and get a bad character, you could say that about anything. Compare:

New player forgot to notice that Wes is a challenge character.

New Player forgot to inspect the monster meat, or know that is hurts you. New player is killed by monster meat or takes damage.

Both are mistakes and I don't think that is good enough reason to buff Wes.

Spoiler

And then since a decent amount of people want a "glass cannon" character after Wendy rework, they throw it at Wes or some other character they don't care about. I was arguing in a thread about that earlier. (the only character applicable to that stuff is maxwell w/ shadows, Wes is only based off of the logic of not personally liking the character)

I didn't like playing most of the reworks from before! (Woodie I liked) Maybe you didn't either but whatever. Wendy for example is a popular reworked character and I am okay with that. I ain't saying Wes shouldn't change, I don't care as long as the following is kept

Wes is not a good character

Wes does not talk

The only thing I would be cool with is buffing other players,(or ofc decorations/gags/uselessthings like balloons)

(as long as it isn't something that makes him a good character, something like, give his health to another player.

That would be cool, I would love for Wes to be a sacrificial character, it sounds odd, but I think it makes a lot of sense. Either that or just keep him as a useless guy. I don't want this niche taken away I'm not just looking for a challenge or something, I am looking to kill myself with balloons. IM LOOKING FOR A WEAK MIME NAMED WES THAT STRUGGLES TO SURVIVE.

PS: Also he serves a purpose in those tutorial videos when someone wants to show that "if Wes can do it, you can too!".

Maybe instead of making him a bad character in his rework, he can be extremely hard but rewarding to play as?

You can still be helpful to your team, while also giving yourself a challenge. I like to join a game as Wes without being kicked please.

Personally I want an interesting rework for Wes that's somehow tied entirely to the pile of balloons. That means any of the non-challenge stuff would be completely optional, so people who play Wes for the whole "less is more" thing can keep dropping and ignoring the balloons like they always did, while people who want more out of Wes can hold onto them. It's the best of both worlds, y'know?

13 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

Personally I want an interesting rework for Wes that's somehow tied entirely to the pile of balloons. That means any of the non-challenge stuff would be completely optional, so people who play Wes for the whole "less is more" thing can keep dropping and ignoring the balloons like they always did, while people who want more out of Wes can hold onto them. It's the best of both worlds, y'know?

Yeah but that's the same as something like saying to just play as wickerbottom even if you dont like the crafting start, just pretend it is not there and don't craft any science machine recipes from the start, and wait until you get an alchemy to make them. (you might as well just switch characters, right?) It's like a just use mods argument but without mods. It sucks that no one seems to agree with me on this but I tried. 

RIP WES

On 4/1/2020 at 4:41 PM, Blunderbuss said:

Yeah but that's the same as something like saying to just play as wickerbottom even if you dont like the crafting start, just pretend it is not there and don't craft any science machine recipes from the start, and wait until you get an alchemy to make them. (you might as well just switch characters, right?) It's like a just use mods argument but without mods. It sucks that no one seems to agree with me on this but I tried. 

RIP WES

We don't even know what is rework is even going to be like, it's way to early to act like he's going to get ruined.

1 hour ago, Blunderbuss said:

RIP WES

Playing devil's advocate here using the same logic as yours, some players completely ignore Woodie's forms and just use his axe, Wurt's King and even merms, Wormwood's crafting, Wilson's beard for crafting, Warly's dishes, Wicker books, that's maybe because they find those things too grindy, not that useful, not that fun or whatever else. Maybe that's why "no one seems to agree with you on this".

Klei could easily keep Wes the same, but give the choice to the player to make him harder to survive while giving him something in return for that added difficulty.

13 minutes ago, Sweaper said:

Playing devil's advocate here using the same logic as yours, some players completely ignore Woodie's forms and just use his axe, Wurt's King and even merms, Wormwood's crafting, Wilson's beard for crafting, Warly's dishes, Wicker books, that's maybe because they find those things too grindy, not that useful, not that fun or whatever else. Maybe that's why "no one seems to agree with you on this".

Klei could easily keep Wes the same, but give the choice to the player to make him harder to survive while giving him something in return for that added difficulty.

yeah ig

1 hour ago, Blunderbuss said:

Yeah but that's the same as something like saying to just play as wickerbottom even if you dont like the crafting start, just pretend it is not there and don't craft any science machine recipes from the start, and wait until you get an alchemy to make them

That's not a very good comparison though. It's more like if someone really liked every aspect of Maxwell except his shadow minions, and so they just dropped the codex umbra on the ground when joining any server as Maxwell. It's not like your Wickerbottom example where you have to actively keep up with something like crafting recipes to make sure you aren't taking advantage of a perk, it's just... dropping an item at the portal when you first join a server and then never thinking about it again.

4 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

the rework could make him more fun to play without buffing him in the way of wendy or willow that get so buffed in compare of ds

But doesn’t he kind of need a Rework like Wendy? Some DST Enemies have 3x the health of DS. Wendy got a cool buff where Abigail now boosts damage of everyone attacking what she attack’s. A cool new Multiplayer focused feature.

Wes being weak & taking longer to kill enemies is a single player or “Lonewolf” Playstyle & fighting a boss with a team just makes the fight longer than it needed to be If Wes wasn’t involved at all.. So Wes gets out right kicked out of most people’s Servers on the Xbox One.

The only idea I have is make him like SMITE’s Aphrodite- Alone She’s Weak, squishy & dies very easily.. but when surrounded by teammates Aphrodite & her teammates gain additional Damage & Defensive buffs..

In Smite- The objective is to break her away from her team so she losses her buffs killing her first..

But when used for Wes in DST Maybe Klei could make all enemies Auto-Aggro towards Wes.

(then again.. would having Everything Aggro on him be more of a challenge... or a happy little abusable perk that allows Wes to become a lot easier to play as for skilled players who can use it to their Advantage?)

The TL:DR- In a Team Based game I Hope Klei can find a way to make Wes more of a Team player.

Having intentionally bad characters (here I mean Wes only) cannot be the goal of a cooperative multiplayer. I agree that he should keep his "challenge charm" and you still can design his rework in that way. Two ways:

The high risk for benefit perk: Wished by some people here. Could mean you need some skill/resources to make good use of it but can backfire at you. Maybe baloon equipment that can burst if you get hit?

The team perk: Only works if another character is near. I suggested a perk to mime other's character perks in the past. This means if you're alone the ability becomes useless but Wes becomes useful in coop play.

And it may hurt some people here: If Wes ultimatively lose his challenge character someone can make a mod to bring that back.

3 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

No. If wes gets buffed in the way they buffed wendy it will kill the character. Wes its a character for veterans, if people on xbox get banmed for picking it its because of toxicity (people kicking wes when they only eat meatballs and sleep). Now with wendy raid bosses are just a faceroll because people cryed 'buff abi damage i cant kill spiders' and now she can kill raid bosses quicker than wolfgang. Which i guess its ok for wendy but not for wes.

Wes rework should keep the challenge, if someone doesnt want a challenge there is a lot of character to play with. Ofc will be interesting adding team play perks but this game is played as a single player too (i guess people who expend more time in this game are the lonely wolfs) so for new players who only enter in public servers to steal and burn stuff, eat with no gathering for the team, destroying all the flowes of the server, wasting silk on sleep every night and die with everything there is no diffence between picking wes or another, they will just dont see anything of the game because they will leave before winter comes or will play in another server and start over and over. For that including only team perks are a mistake because for single players he will be a wilson with stuff that cant be used.

Also the damage penalty shouldnt be change.

1 hour ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

No. If wes gets buffed in the way they buffed wendy it will kill the character. Wes its a character for veterans, if people on xbox get banmed for picking it its because of toxicity (people kicking wes when they only eat meatballs and sleep). Now with wendy raid bosses are just a faceroll because people cryed 'buff abi damage i cant kill spiders' and now she can kill raid bosses quicker than wolfgang. Which i guess its ok for wendy but not for wes.

Wes rework should keep the challenge, if someone doesnt want a challenge there is a lot of character to play with. Ofc will be interesting adding team play perks but this game is played as a single player too (i guess people who expend more time in this game are the lonely wolfs) so for new players who only enter in public servers to steal and burn stuff, eat with no gathering for the team, destroying all the flowes of the server, wasting silk on sleep every night and die with everything there is no diffence between picking wes or another, they will just dont see anything of the game because they will leave before winter comes or will play in another server and start over and over. For that including only team perks are a mistake because for single players he will be a wilson with stuff that cant be used.

Also the damage penalty shouldnt be change.

Faceroll was previous hp mechanic, where you could get a team of Abigails doing the damage for you ( Here single damage was stronger ). Now is tied to Wendy having to participate . And.. stronger than wolfgang best boss killer? excuse me, what? XD

14 minutes ago, ShyRo-Zyerenzy said:

Faceroll was previous hp mechanic, where you could get a team of Abigails doing the damage for you ( Here single damage was stronger ). Now is tied to Wendy having to participate . And.. stronger than wolfgang best boss killer? excuse me, what? XD

some bosses not all. Dragonfly and beequeen are just so easy and fast with her and now she have again the previous damage mechanic so there is no debuff when fighting crowd

Sure being at 30hp is faceroll because you are lazy to participate killing spiders? because i wont let abigail fight alone a boss just because she deals 80 damage when she gets insta kill by those.

but this is not for talk about how good is abigail now. I only said that wes shouldnt get buffed like her

3 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

Now with wendy raid bosses are just a faceroll because people cryed 'buff abi damage i cant kill spiders' and now she can kill raid bosses quicker than wolfgang.

Why some people love to exaggerate stuff? Only bosses against which Abi actually helps (if not getting killed by player not maintaining aggro constantly) are BQ and DF - this is debatable as well as efficiency and risk/reward go, not to mention you would require elixirs too. And the single boss where Abi excels (as in said boss cannot practically harm her) is Antlion. With Abi fighting beside you, you can have that 1.1x dmg multiplier and is ok. Rest of them bosses, more so the AoE ones, 2-3 shots your lil ghost companion like it didn't even matter, and then you remain regular 0.75x dmg Wendy. Someone mentioned these days Toadstool in relation to "Abi is sublime against it" - perhaps (with a large "perhaps" margin) if you don't get her in Shroombombs AoE; else is 1-2 shot (depending on elixir buffs); and if you try to protect her from said bombs, fight takes a lot longer; not to mention mistakes can happen from earthquakes, Worm attacks occurring during Toad-mush, Shadows if going insane or close to Nightmare fissures etc which in turn make even harder keeping Abi out of harm and prolong fight even more. Oh, and if you are doing these fights the speed-run way, aka minimal preparation, you can de-spawn Abi in her flower right away, she will invariably be dead anyway.

Yes, now Wendy is better with Abi at night/Caves and with elixir perks against crowds of small mobs like Spiders, Splumonkeys, Dog waves (excels, even for 10-12 dogs), Pigs (with some player assistance), Merms (always with player assistance), and arguably Chess pieces (always with player assistance, as Rooks totally demolish Abi). Yet to say Wendy can do bosses better that 600+ dmg Wolf... yeah, sure... mmmhm!

As for a Wes rework, Klei could go the "perks for team" way (as DST has that "together" desired play-style in its name) and/or the "balloonomancy" route - with even more types of balloons for silly effects (balloon bicycle for the... same speed multiplier as regular walking with no additional stack-ons, balloon sword that does 10-20 damage when it pops after hitting mobs once, balloon tools that have 1-3 uses and pop, dealing to player 1-3 dmg for example, etc). But core of Wes play-style, the 0.75x dmg multiplier and 1.25x hunger modifier, should remain as-is.

16 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

Why some people love to exaggerate stuff? Only bosses against which Abi actually helps (if not getting killed by player not maintaining aggro constantly) are BQ and DF - this is debatable as well as efficiency and risk/reward go, not to mention you would require elixirs too. And the single boss where Abi excels (as in said boss cannot practically harm her) is Antlion. With Abi fighting beside you, you can have that 1.1x dmg multiplier and is ok. Rest of them bosses, more so the AoE ones, 2-3 shots your lil ghost companion like it didn't even matter, and then you remain regular 0.75x dmg Wendy. Someone mentioned these days Toadstool in relation to "Abi is sublime against it" - perhaps (with a large "perhaps" margin) if you don't get her in Shroombombs AoE; else is 1-2 shot (depending on elixir buffs); and if you try to protect her from said bombs, fight takes a lot longer; not to mention mistakes can happen from earthquakes, Worm attacks occurring during Toad-mush, Shadows if going insane or close to Nightmare fissures etc which in turn make even harder keeping Abi out of harm and prolong fight even more. Oh, and if you are doing these fights the speed-run way, aka minimal preparation, you can de-spawn Abi in her flower right away, she will invariably be dead anyway.

As for a Wes rework, Klei could go the "perks for team" way (as DST has that "together" desired play-style in its name) and/or the "balloonomancy" route - with even more types of balloons for silly effects (balloon bicycle for the... same speed multiplier as regular walking with no additional stack-ons, balloon sword that does 10-20 damage when it pops after hitting mobs once, balloon tools that have 1-3 uses and pop, dealing to player 1-3 dmg for example, etc). But core of Wes play-style, the 0.75x dmg multiplier and 1.25x hunger modifier, should remain as-is.

where i said she can beat toadstool? i said she is so good for fighting BQ (she does it easier than wolf) and DF which means she gets buffed.  im happy with this change, makes her unique and less anoying to play but its a buff, woodie gets a buff too, willow gets a buff and what im talking is that wes shouldnt be buffed in that way, im with these reworks adding unique mechanics and for wes will be amazing but not if these new mechanics become him an easy character to survive with. 

Im ok with the teamplayer mechanics but will be sad if he only receives new mechanics for the multiplayer part (yes its called together, the sequel of reing of giants, a single player game (and even in the world creating menu there is a single player option)) so yes, give him buffs for the team mates, but the rework must have something fun to play alone too because even if you play with other people you will do a lot of stuff alone (maybe the whole game except for killing bosses together)

also they must keep the insanity aura effect not only the damage and hungry

1 hour ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

some bosses not all. Dragonfly and beequeen are just so easy and fast with her and now she have again the previous damage mechanic so there is no debuff when fighting crowd

Sure being at 30hp is faceroll because you are lazy to participate killing spiders? because i wont let abigail fight alone a boss just because she deals 80 damage when she gets insta kill by those.

but this is not for talk about how good is abigail now. I only said that wes shouldnt get buffed like her

Sorry mr pro. but no one was complaining about spider damage, but how the damage was decreased and only available at 10hp or less, no one cares about you struggling with small mobs, she just took more time. And the "lazy" part, you didn't read at all, some players just picked wendy and did bosses with abi tanking while doing nothing ( And specifically im not talking about one, but 10 or 15 now thats its broken but you clearly don't want to say it :) ). was easier to cheese before because it had more playstyles. 

pd: She was always good at bq, seems like you only saw a video and think its only possible now. the respawn and health potions it's only a weaker version vs instant spawn it was in exchange for a good IA/dmg. We are rewarded for not letting her die, so it got the damage buff , stop crying about calling everything op

12 minutes ago, ShyRo-Zyerenzy said:

Sorry mr pro. but no one was complaining about spider damage, but how the damage was decreased and only available at 10hp or less, no one cares about you struggling with small mobs, she just took more time. And the "lazy" part, you didn't read at all, some players just picked wendy and did bosses with abi tanking while doing nothing ( And specifically im not talking about one, but 10 or 15 now thats its broken but you clearly don't want to say it :) ). was easier to cheese before because it had more playstyles. 

I have no idea about what you say in half of your posts. There, I said it. Just letting you know. And I'm aware that English isn't your main language.

25 minutes ago, ShyRo-Zyerenzy said:

pd: She was always good at bq, seems like you only saw a video and think its only possible now. the respawn and health potions it's only a weaker version vs instant spawn it was in exchange for a good IA/dmg. We are rewarded for not letting her die, so it got the damage buff , stop crying about calling everything op

im not pro for that i didnt know that she was able to kill bosses by their own (i guess spaming the heal elixir) and for bq now is better than before i didnt saw any video before i tried by my self with (both version of the rework) then i saw other player from the forum who did so much better than me with the hp based damage wendy and we share tips with other players (even i upload the fight with the rereworked wendy lel) and before she was good killing bq spaming flowers (a ugly game mechanic) but know she can keeps abi alive with no problems and could have the night damage even at day which before it was impossible (and for that was better to kill her in winter)

and for me i will stop this argument since you need insult instead of giving proves that wendy is now better than before that was the only thing i intend to say in my wes post (because this is about wes) to give an example of what i dont want for wes

8 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

fighting a boss with a team just makes the fight longer than it needed to be If Wes wasn’t involved at all.. So Wes gets out right kicked out of most people’s Servers

And  this is the saddest part for me. Like people are so rude, toxic and not indulgent toward Wes player. Yes there's a fair amount of troll out there, but having a good to normal player as Wes isn't that bad for a team. I would rather do a boss with three other people and a wes then just 3 people. Like if you take things in perspective in the second situation you deal even less damage. 

I hosted a new public server the other day, i was wigfrid (there was 2 wolf, 1 webber, 1 wendy). The 2 wolf where staying at base eating everything from the fridge and staying mighty 24\7, the webber was staying at base too and the wendy was really new to the game but still helpful. My experience with that server was really bad because the only  thing i was able to do is go out there to get food to only feed 3 other players that werent doing anything. 

Moral of the story, characters arent bad or boring or not helpful, it's the player that play them. A Wes player can do his part for a team as much as anybody else. So the real problem in my opinion would come down to players knowledge or determination to help.

But yes, i would like Wes to keep his weaker stats and perks, but also have some cool team beneficing perk. I do hate that most of the time i can't host or go in a public server without having people either point fingers at me or make fun of me for playing the character i main. Having such perk would resolve that situation (maybe\hopefully).

Last thing i can say is, please people out there, try to have a little more patient before kick\banning someone, you might kick a really great player or someone that could have help your team tremendously.

16 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

im not pro for that i didnt know that she was able to kill bosses by their own (i guess spaming the heal elixir) and for bq now is better than before i didnt saw any video before i tried by my self with (both version of the rework) then i saw other player from the forum who did so much better than me with the hp based damage wendy and we share tips with other players (even i upload the fight with the rereworked wendy lel) and before she was good killing bq spaming flowers (a ugly game mechanic) but know she can keeps abi alive with no problems and could have the night damage even at day which before it was impossible (and for that was better to kill her in winter)

and for me i will stop this argument since you need insult instead of giving proves that wendy is now better than before that was the only thing i intend to say in my wes post (because this is about wes) to give an example of what i dont want for wes

You clearly don't want to read at all. you are equally toxic but don't enjoy when its reversed. Sure keep believing she is better than wolfgang , you make me laugh. 

2 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

Said the one who won't have prejudice and not insulting. But okay i guess, mature adult. 

where i said she can beat toadstool? i said she is so good for fighting BQ (she does it easier than wolf) and DF which means she gets buffed.

I wrote "Someone mentioned these days Toadstool in relation to "Abi is sublime against it"" (not you per se - and I can't find said thread/post to exactly point to) because we are talking in general about reworks of characters, Wes included, from all sides. A Mighty Wolfgang with HamBat/NightSword - even more, with spiced food - is mechanically way stronger than Wendy + Abi at night with elixirs (and spiced food for that matter). If you also factorize a "wall of pain" to cheese Grumbles' AI, is clear who comes on top of performance by a mile. Yes, Wendy and Abi can solo more efficiently BQ now, yet even in your own video you pretty much struggled to keep Abi and yourself alive (plus mid fight you remained without Log Suits and I don't know why you didn't brought a StarCaller Staff - or Moon Caller if not winter, no boss fight to be done without one in my book, as it costed you Wood Armor durability; ah, and one more thing: try doing that close Bee-dash through-the-swarm on Dedicated servers with latency and see how it ends for fun, heh). Bottom line: Wendy and Abi got a bit buffed, again - is ok. It's more fun. As those buffs are targeted more towards casual players that can now have a smoother time surviving against small-fries in pubs - thus buffs for bulk of players. Don't forget: from total player-base, the numbers of players able to efficiently solo raid bosses are probably under 2% (roughly the percentage of people able to defeat Forge in its first iteration - and that was a Battle Arena with clear goal, pretty straightforward mechanics and lowered learning curve, 8-10 minutes sessions, while an in-game - Survival Sandbox mind you, where everyone does their own mojo at their own pace independent most-of-times of other players on server(s) - single day is 8 irl minutes default long).

im with these reworks adding unique mechanics and for wes will be amazing but not if these new mechanics become him an easy character to survive with.

also they must keep the insanity aura effect not only the damage and hungry

Wes was marketed from start as a challenge character geared towards Experienced Players, that's his core and am sure will remain largely the same. He doesn't have a sanity modifier (probably you are referring to his insanity mechanic via balloons), yet am sure the challenge aspect and mentioned 0.75x dmg multiplier and 1.25x hunger drain will remain the same in his future rework. Klei will probably build on top of those with perhaps some general tweaks and some modifications regarding his Pile-of-Balloons. As stated, more types of silly balloons and balloon-mechanics not really making a significant impact on his play-style will possibly be of focus. And/or some perks for team, maybe as a joke (Balloon Helmet that pops when hit, but still provides a very-small protection for lols), maybe as a sanity boost, who knows. Am sure will be something fun and whimsical.

3 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

I wrote "Someone mentioned these days Toadstool in relation to "Abi is sublime against it"" (not you per se - and I can't find said thread/post to exactly point to) because we are talking in general about reworks of characters, Wes included, from all sides. A Mighty Wolfgang with HamBat/NightSword - even more, with spiced food - is mechanically way stronger than Wendy + Abi at night with elixirs (and spiced food for that matter). If you also factorize a "wall of pain" to cheese Grumbles' AI, is clear who comes on top of performance by a mile. Yes, Wendy and Abi can solo more efficiently BQ now, yet even in your own video you pretty much struggled to keep Abi and yourself alive (plus mid fight you remained without Log Suits and I don't know why you didn't brought a StarCaller Staff - or Moon Caller if not winter, no boss fight to be done without one in my book, as it costed you Wood Armor durability; ah, and one more thing: try doing that close Bee-dash through-the-swarm on Dedicated servers with latency and see how it ends for fun, heh). Bottom line: Wendy and Abi got a bit buffed, again - is ok. It's more fun. As those buffs are targeted more towards casual players that can now have a smoother time surviving against small-fries in pubs - bulk of players. Don't forget: from total player-base, the numbers of players able to efficiently solo raid bosses are probably under 2% (roughly the percentage of people able to defeat Forge in its first iteration - and that was a battle arena with pretty straightforward mechanics and lowered learning curve, 8-10 minutes sessions, while an in-game single day is 8 irl minutes default long).

Wes was marketed from start as a challenge character geared towards Experienced Players, that's his core and am sure will remain largely the same. He doesn't have a sanity modifier (probably you are referring to his insanity mechanic via balloons), yet am sure the challenge aspect and mentioned 0.75x dmg multiplier and 1.25x hunger drain will remain the same in his future rework. Klei will probably build on top of those with perhaps some general tweaks and some modifications regarding his Pile-of-Balloons. As stated, more types of silly balloons and balloon-mechanics not really making a significant impact on his play-style will possibly be of focus. And/or some perks for team, maybe as a joke (Balloon Helmet that pops when hit, but still provides a very-small protection for lols), maybe as a sanity boost, who knows. Am sure will be something fun and whimsical.

wolfgang has no comparation with anyone but without warlys food needs a little more of time than wendy just because he has to evade the bees (or waste panflutes which means a little more of time to repair it blablabla) but yeah maybe i exagerate with the time but is easier since abi will help you with the bees and with the damage debuff and her damage the dps could be near of wolfgangs (without warly foods). Also dont count my video, im noob and was my first attemp with the rereworked wendy (and i didnt killed her before so many times) so a more experience player could do that fight in a way more efficient (like using a star caller staff as you said)

About sanity aura on wes, i always though he had the insanity aura of wolfgang but i was wrong. Maybe in the rework they could add it because i loved that (even when he hasnt that xD)

Archived