Why do people build storage compactors?

As in, I don't understand why anyone would ever bother with these things. For just storing swept stuff, having a conveyor that just drops things into a square is much easier because you don't have to worry about running out of space. For long term storage, putting all of the debris into a single tile is much easier to work with. The only use I see in them is to use them as a way to convince dupes to move a bunch of material somewhere, but that isn't why people build massive storage arrays.

Meanwhile, with storage compactors, every errand becomes two tasks: one to fetch the material from the compactor to the worksite, and another to refill the storage compactor, which puts more load on your dupes.

Is there something huge that I am missing? What do people see in these things?

8 hours ago, lee1026 said:

As in, I don't understand why anyone would ever bother with these things.

I use mine in several different ways.  In the very early game, I build them to clean up my base before I've gotten any shipping stuff researched.  Also, you don't need mechanical engineer to build a storage bin, so you don't need to wait on training either.

Through the rest of the game, I'll use them to put materials near where I use them.  For example, I'll stick a storage bin near my coal generators and set it to only hold coal.  Later when I get shipping, the autosweepers will take from the locker and fill the generators in one pass, then refill the bin from what comes in on the rails.  Similarly, putting one filled with sand close to where a liquid sieve or air purifiers are placed can reduce travel times when those items need refilling.  It can also be useful to have a storage bin filled with dirt near your mealwood farms.

Sometimes when I'm getting ready to build in an area, I'll put a storage bin there and fill it with the necessary materials.  That way the dupes don't run as far to get materials.  When the building is done, I just deconstruct the bin.  If the bin is lower priority than the building orders, then the dupes won't refill the bin until they're done building.

I've also used them to contain "dangerous" materials, such as bleach stone or polluted dirt, in an area that they either won't offgas, or so their off-gassing is not going to cause a problem.  

The "Sweep only" setting is also useful at times.  I generally build a 'trash' bin set to accept everything.  When it gets full, I set it to hold nothing, then everything again.  Until I get an automatic dispenser built, this is a very easy way to move materials out of the way.

Are storage bins necessary? No.  You can definitely go the entire game without using them at all.   You can also go the entire game without building beds or tables.

But, if you're confused about geniusthemaster's "storage bins" post where he showed a screen full of hundreds of storage bins... Don't worry about it.  The rest of us are as well.

Sometimes you need to move certain stuff early game. Like slime to prevent ofgassing. You just build a single compactor for it in your waste water tank.

Sometimes you want your bedrooms cleaned for morale purposes, when playing with high difficulty. A few sweep only compactors come in handy.

Sometimes you want your coal stockpiled close to the generators so dupes don`t run half the map when it runs out.

Sometimes you want to move a critter egg to a different room.

They have a lot of uses outside general storage.

There's also the simple matter of fact that the more crap you got laying around on the ground, the more cycles your CPU and/or GPU have to spend rendering them.  Even in a top of the line rig, if you got a big colony that's cluttered up to hell and back again, it'll have a noticeable impact.  Storage compactors help eliminate this drain on your computer's resources.  So yes, there is a very practical reason for their existence outside of acting as a buffer in a supply line.

7 minutes ago, lee1026 said:

If you just shove all the debris into a single tile, that solves the problem even better than rows and rows of storage compactors.

everything in ONI has a purpose, young skywalker

some things just have a larger use than others....(glares at ore scrubber)

6 hours ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

But, if you're confused about geniusthemaster's "storage bins" post where he showed a screen full of hundreds of storage bins... Don't worry about it.  The rest of us are as well.

Hahaha, with decor objects wasting most of the space, no less.

But I do build compactor-arrays as well. It nicely allows me to cool the storage down over time in hot maps or heat it up in cold ones. Since the space is available anyways with my approach to base-building, why not. If you want something compact, it is obviously not the way to go though.

22 hours ago, lee1026 said:

Is there something huge that I am missing? What do people see in these things?

Well for one, they have priorities. Also, you don't have to make them 'Sweep only'. In any system that drops stuff on the floor, the collector bin has to be set to sweep only, otherwise dups keep picking up stuff and reloading it.  Now, stuff you don't want to use (or maybe address later), such as hot regolith, you can dig a 4 tile dip pit and drop it in there outside of dups' reach.

So I do use the sweep & drop on the floor technique a lot, but there are things you want collected w/o issuing a sweep order all the time.

The are ways to combine the drop on the floor and bins so that dups collect everything w/o sweep order but can't access the drop area, while sweepers pick up useful resources and keep dup accessible bins filled. If these bins have higher prio than the collector bin, dups won't move resources around for nothing. I've never build such a thing tho.

They are usefull to make dupes more efficient a storage compactor for lime and iron near your metal refinery is way more efficient than a dupe traveling the whole map for ressources for making only one steel

I've heard it's good for FPS to have storage compactors with just a singular thing inside them. So I always built them for that reason. Didn't help much, but eh, it looks alright to have those "warehouse" areas. More "realistic" than everything in 1 tile.

Pathing calculations are a big drain in ONI, and hunting resource deposits is the biggest drain of all. The game does a pretty brute force method where every dupe has to consider all resources they can access at all times. It gets pretty hungry on the CPU pretty quickly. Placing all your stuff into a single pile reduces the number of items on the map and the number of places that dupes have to consider, which will help your FPS.

Archived