Someone said I could make a Warly thread so here it is

Biggest issue for me is usually finding a reliable source of healing, you could rotate the healing foods you eat, but it requires more thought than just spam clicking pierogis or jellybeans like savages. You could make the same argument that some use for Maxwell, if you don't get hit, you don't have to heal and any health related penalties don't matter. I usually find the best method to keep healed during boss fights is just using honey poultices and if desperate healing salves. Do note that you heal less per action than you would with most typical healing items which makes them in any scenarios where you are taking damage, unreliable.

His spicey volt goat choud-froid is decent, but it does require a lot to get to that point. At some point in time I'll actually see how long it takes me to get one using manure spam methods. I do know that it is very effective during the spring. But a lot of other character combos can kill bosses in autumn (Including Wilson combos). I wouldn't call it useless per se, it just takes a whole lot longer than the old fashion method of killing something with wolfgang: the most balanced character in the game. 

Honey spice is... odd. It's good for midgame really. It's decent when paired with a beaver. It's not faster than bearger or the skeleton, but isn't limited by what time you can use it (skeleton) or whether or not treeguards will rek your face (skeleton, bearger). 

And on the topic of rocks, the extra mining speed from any character is nice, but IMO isn't necessary. Since most of the time is spent picking up the rocks and not doing an action on the boulders. (Maxwell has another hand up in this area since he can pick up and mine at once, although he is a bit slower than usual if the rocks are spread out.) To be completely honest I don't even know why you would need the amount of rocks that you get with these characters, unless you are going to swap to winona and build catapults or something.

As it stands, he is nothing more than a switch character, which breaks my heart. There are a few ways to fix it though.
For one, I'm surprised the developers didn't carry over one of his biggest traits from single player: bonus stats from crockpot dishes. Not just better for him though, better when any character eats it. It doesn't really make sense for a talented gourmet chef and a merm child to produce the same exact dish, just one being a little faster. I say that any dish produced in a portable crockpot should automatically get the prefix "Gourmet". This prefix will grant bonus positive stats, and slightly negated negative stats. Visually, this could be represented by the red plate that seasoned dishes come on (just without the spice):
Image result for warly spiced dish
The only downside to this is that it steals the thunder of salt spice, however I think the salt spice should be reworked anyway. Small amount of bonus health is pretty underwhelming for being the only spice you  have to set sail to acquire.

Secondly, a minor buff but a fitting one: accomplished butcher. If a Warly kills a mob that drops a meat (regular or monster, not morsel or equivalent) the mob will drop an extra one. Butchers are able to maximize the amount of meat a carcass produces, and Warly himself claims he is an accomplished one.

Lastly, he could do with a palate cleanser. Some kind of doughy food that gives no stats except maybe 12.5 hunger, making it pretty useless for any character besides Warly to eat. However, when it is consumed by a Warly, it  cleanses his palate and resets his food memory. A possibility could be cornbread sticks, 2 corn, 1 stick, one non-honey filler.

1 hour ago, Sweaper said:

Spider glands are ok, but so can everyone else use them, ruins rushing you can only carry so much so on top of carrying meat, MM, berry, honey, lichen, glow berry, portable crock pot and you also carry spider glands. Compare that to someone who is carrying a stack of shrooms and have a lot more free inventory slots.

Keeping him fed is easy, but getting enough veggies for his perks before winter is problematic (not that they are that useful). He pretty much becomes Wilson in winter.

Healing salves and honey polt are better choices for medicine tbh while also not taking a toll on the mind stacking up to 40 and no spoil timer I get it healing food exists but that doesn't make medicine worthless they both take up the same amount of space and do a similar job arguably medicine is better because if your using too many blue mushrooms you'll have more problems to deal with more often.

Spider glands are ok, but so can everyone else use them, ruins rushing you can only carry so much so on top of carrying meat, MM, berry, honey, lichen, glow berry, portable crock pot and you also carry spider glands. Compare that to someone who is carrying a stack of shrooms and have a lot more free inventory slots.

Keeping him fed is easy, but getting enough veggies for his perks before winter is problematic (not that they are that useful). He pretty much becomes Wilson in winter.

Healing salves and honey polt are better choices for medicine tbh while also not taking a toll on the mind stacking up to 40 and no spoil timer I get it healing food exists but that doesn't make medicine worthless they both take up the same amount of space and do a similar job arguably medicine is better because if your using too many blue mushrooms you'll have more problems to deal with more often.

Edit: I'm not sure why it triple posted srry about that

Just now, Mysterious box said:

Where are you getting 40 of those early game? Let me know because I can't get those when playing for 20 days on a server that I decided to go ruins.

Most spiders are at lv1 nest, 40 healing salves requires 160 spiders killed on average, even if you happen to find 20 spider nests in one same biome you would need to clear 20 spider nests a day, it would take almost 3 days, not counting the time to walk from one to another, get food other than MM, get light bulbs so you don't idle at night. Then, +80 items to be burned.

Definitely not time consuming, have fun killing 160 spiders.

Meanwhile someone else is getting shrooms while they get material for helmets. This is barely time consuming.

And then we have WX. edit: And wig.

I like what that one guy in the suggestions thread once posted (don't remember who it was, sorry) where you can keep spiced powdercakes in his inventory for when you want to use them later for the benefits. 

Also quick question, does the garlic spice stack with armor or is it a waste to use?

4 hours ago, Owlrus98 said:

Quick question, does the garlic spice stack with armor or is it a waste to use?

4 hours ago, WoodieMain45684 said:

To my knowledge it stacks in a similar way that Wigfrid's innate armor bonus stacks with armor (So yes).

Woodiemain is correct. Internal armors work differently than regular armors though, since they block damage AFTER it went through any regular armor you may have. EG: you get hit for 100 damage, you have a log suit on (80% damage reduction) your body should take 20 damage. If you have garlic resistance, of those 20 damage you would get, 33% is removed, so you take 13.4 damage instead.

In reality the reduction of damage of internal armors (like the one garlic gives) is fairly low, specially if you have a very good armor armor on because its removing a small % out of already a small number. However internal armors shine in another aspect, since they block not just physical damage, but also fire damage, hunger damage, freezing damage, poisonous food damage, etc, in this case by 33%.

So in the end it's up to you if it's worth the trouble of mass producing garlic or not. Personally, I'd focus on the chili flakes first, and if I have farming time to spare, I'd grow some garlic. 

I see a lot of peoples complaining about how uncomfortable is to play as Warly and how he's abilities can come in handy just by switching into him for some powders and then go back to Wolfgang or Wigfrid and that's true. Of course you can do it since we have Moonrock Idols now but for me it's not all that he has to offer.

In solo games I prefer to play as Wes or Woodie because I find it more challenging but in a game with others I'm no doubt full force Warly main.

Why? Answer is very simple. This character is unique in his gameplay mechanics. It's true that you cannot rely on him in early game because he's struggling on his own but later, when you have access to a lot of ingredients you can really shine as a "house wife". What do I mean? I really prefer to play without fighting and traveling too much. I like to play a support role as someone who cares about base, checks for plants - veggies, twigs, grass, makes all tidy by putting stuff in chests in order and of course to prepare for others meals and buffs them. Warly is just too perfect for that. And after watching his video trailer I'm sure his nature is the same. He's super kind and he loves to work for others and that makes him happy.

I would really love to see other characters being developed as him in the future. To kinda match with players personalities to fulfill some unique role in a team. To be able in some aspects to play as "yourself".

5 hours ago, Prajdo said:

I see a lot of peoples complaining about how uncomfortable is to play as Warly and how he's abilities can come in handy just by switching into him for some powders and then go back to Wolfgang or Wigfrid and that's true. Of course you can do it since we have Moonrock Idols now but for me it's not all that he has to offer.

In solo games I prefer to play as Wes or Woodie because I find it more challenging but in a game with others I'm no doubt full force Warly main.

Why? Answer is very simple. This character is unique in his gameplay mechanics. It's true that you cannot rely on him in early game because he's struggling on his own but later, when you have access to a lot of ingredients you can really shine as a "house wife". What do I mean? I really prefer to play without fighting and traveling too much. I like to play a support role as someone who cares about base, checks for plants - veggies, twigs, grass, makes all tidy by putting stuff in chests in order and of course to prepare for others meals and buffs them. Warly is just too perfect for that. And after watching his video trailer I'm sure his nature is the same. He's super kind and he loves to work for others and that makes him happy.

I would really love to see other characters being developed as him in the future. To kinda match with players personalities to fulfill some unique role in a team. To be able in some aspects to play as "yourself".

I wish that were true for public servers. Empty icebox. 1-2 farms. No berry in any bush. 1-2 spider nest at lvl 1 near base. Bee boxes without flowers. No pig/bunny farms. But at least we got 15 empty chests and 6 crockpots, these will carry the server. Good players will be doing their own thing, while everyone else is hugging the base.

Being a housewife as Warly is asking to have a bad time, if you don't go after meat on your own you'll struggle. Plus, Wormwood is better and safer in being a housewife.

Just now, Sweaper said:

I wish that were true for public servers. Empty icebox. 1-2 farms. No berry in any bush. 1-2 spider nest at lvl 1 near base. Bee boxes without flowers. No pig/bunny farms. But at least we got 15 empty chests and 6 crockpots, these will carry the server. Good players will be doing their own thing, while everyone else is hugging the base.

Being a housewife as Warly is asking to have a bad time, if you don't go after meat on your own you'll struggle. Plus, Wormwood is better and safer in being a housewife.

in private servers helps a lot having special dishes+buffs

Just now, ArubaroBeefalo said:

in private servers helps a lot having special dishes+buffs

In private you might as well char swap, get Winona's things, go to island with Woodie, mass produce food as Warly, kill bosses with Wolf. His dishes help, but not by a lot, except for one boss.

And you're better off avoid starting as Warly in private since he will only slow down things.

But I could careless if all you want is just play as Warly. He is fun, I get that. But not good.

1 minute ago, Sweaper said:

In private you might as well char swap, get Winona's things, go to island with Woodie, mass produce food as Warly, kill bosses with Wolf. His dishes help, but not by a lot, except for one boss.

And you're better off avoid starting as Warly in private since he will only slow down things.

But I could careless if all you want is just play as Warly. He is fun, I get that. But not good.

well if we talk about the most eficient way of play, only wolfgang+some other character perks via portal its the better (and foolishly easy)  way of play but we cant talk about a character being bad just because that. 

his worst thig is that he cant heal tons of health by food but this its only a problem in few situations and can be replace by other healings (and with his garlic powder he needs less healing in late)

1 minute ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

well if we talk about the most eficient way of play, only wolfgang+some other character perks via portal its the better (and foolishly easy)  way of play but we cant talk about a character being bad just because that. 

his worst thig is that he cant heal tons of health by food but this its only a problem in few situations and can be replace by other healings (and with his garlic powder he needs less healing in late)

He is not bad because he can be easily swapped, it's because his early game is almost non existent, farming is a boring chore, lack of heal will make him bad against most optional bosses, and as you said he needs to remediate his weakness with farming and those spices are laughable compared to someone who could just spam eat pierogi. Using band-aids to minimize their downsides doesn't make them good, it makes them less bad.

2 minutes ago, Sweaper said:

He is not bad because he can be easily swapped, it's because his early game is almost non existent, farming is a boring chore, lack of heal will make him bad against most optional bosses, and as you said he needs to remediate his weakness with farming and those spices are laughable compared to someone who could just spam eat pierogi. Using band-aids to minimize their downsides doesn't make them good, it makes them less bad.

you still being able to farm ruins loot (surf n turf was include in dst) and killing dragonfly and beequeen in early, with a little more of preparation but you can. A tiny gameplay change for having a lot of usefull tools in late

Just now, ArubaroBeefalo said:

you still being able to farm ruins loot (surf n turf was include in dst) and killing dragonfly and beequeen in early, with a little more of preparation but you can. A tiny gameplay change for having a lot of usefull tools in late

He needs a little more time of preparation compared to any other character, even Wes. That only makes him less efficient than all characters, no exception.

What useful tool in late? What does he do that is so useful in late? Give me examples. Also, don't forget that late game everyone is OP already with plenty of food, auto farms and equipment.

2 minutes ago, Sweaper said:

He needs a little more time of preparation compared to any other character, even Wes. That only makes him less efficient than all characters, no exception.

What useful tool in late? What does he do that is so useful in late? Give me examples. Also, don't forget that late game everyone is OP already with plenty of food, auto farms and equipment.

Electricity damage buff that gives at most 2.5x more damage, stacks of seasoned powdercakes for even more of a damage buff, damage reduction, and a much faster way to mine rocks and get trees faster. 

Sure, lategame everyone has food, autofarms, and late game equipment. But warly has those and all the buffs he gets from his food.

7 minutes ago, Sweaper said:

usefull/=op

wetness resistance with cheap dish, better dishes and speed cooking with all of your autofarmed food, psinergie with woodie moose and woormood, damage and resistance bonus, etc that helps a lot when you are many people playing together

16 hours ago, Dr. Safety said:

As it stands, he is nothing more than a switch character, which breaks my heart. There are a few ways to fix it though.
For one, I'm surprised the developers didn't carry over one of his biggest traits from single player: bonus stats from crockpot dishes. Not just better for him though, better when any character eats it. It doesn't really make sense for a talented gourmet chef and a merm child to produce the same exact dish, just one being a little faster. I say that any dish produced in a portable crockpot should automatically get the prefix "Gourmet". This prefix will grant bonus positive stats, and slightly negated negative stats. Visually, this could be represented by the red plate that seasoned dishes come on (just without the spice):
Image result for warly spiced dish
The only downside to this is that it steals the thunder of salt spice, however I think the salt spice should be reworked anyway. Small amount of bonus health is pretty underwhelming for being the only spice you  have to set sail to acquire.

Secondly, a minor buff but a fitting one: accomplished butcher. If a Warly kills a mob that drops a meat (regular or monster, not morsel or equivalent) the mob will drop an extra one. Butchers are able to maximize the amount of meat a carcass produces, and Warly himself claims he is an accomplished one.

Lastly, he could do with a palate cleanser. Some kind of doughy food that gives no stats except maybe 12.5 hunger, making it pretty useless for any character besides Warly to eat. However, when it is consumed by a Warly, it  cleanses his palate and resets his food memory. A possibility could be cornbread sticks, 2 corn, 1 stick, one non-honey filler.

THIS, ALL OF THIS. Only thing I would change is the palate cleanser recipe, should have harder to get items. MAKE THIS HAPPEN

11 minutes ago, PrezPara said:

Electricity damage buff that gives at most 2.5x more damage, stacks of seasoned powdercakes for even more of a damage buff, damage reduction, and a much faster way to mine rocks and get trees faster. 

Sure, lategame everyone has food, autofarms, and late game equipment. But warly has those and all the buffs he gets from his food.

The electricity damage is great for one, maybe two bosses, everything else is unnecessary, I said that already before that he had one good use.

No need for that many rocks. Wood yeah for megabases, if you're into that. But bearger is a thing. Maxwell is a thing.

Bonus damage and reduction from spices are a joke.

11 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

usefull/=op

wetness resistance with cheap dish, better dishes and speed cooking with all of your autofarmed food, psinergie with woodie moose and woormood, damage and resistance bonus, etc that helps a lot when you are many people playing together

I've yet to see someone spamming wetness resistance food in spring to keep a server dry for the entire season. Umbrella+helmet will do that for multiple seasons without the requirements of being stuck grinding for food everyday.

His damage/resistance spices are useless, armor exists. If you're going to farm veggies for spices might as well make it dragonfruits. Many people playing together and bosses becomes wet paper, less reason to waste time for spices.

5 minutes ago, Sweaper said:

I've yet to see someone spamming wetness resistance food in spring to keep a server dry for the entire season. Umbrella+helmet will do that for multiple seasons without the requirements of being stuck grinding for food everyday.

His damage/resistance spices are useless, armor exists. If you're going to farm veggies for spices might as well make it dragonfruits. Many people playing together and bosses becomes wet paper, less reason for spices.

so you fight stuff with the umbrella? (other player has the eyebrella) its not the end of the world but helps

Garlic powder gives 33% so: 100 damage with log suits= 20 damage. So every 2 hits its 40 damage taking = 1 dragon pie

now with the 33% that 20 damage converts into ~13,4. 13,4*3 hits = 40,2 damage

every character will do 20% more damage so 5 characters making damage will be like 6

Honestly, I think he’s a great character, but he lacks a perk that enables him to be a character that you actually can get benefits from staying as as opposed to just making his spice food and swapping. I have a thematic thought as to how he can be improved a bit. 

Spoiler

Warly, as a butcher, maintains surgical precision in his work, and does not waste parts. Upon killing mobs, Warly has an increased chance of getting certain drops, and can get multiple drops. For example, upon killing a spider, you have a 50/25/25% chance of getting either monster meat/gland/silk. Warly, however, would be guaranteed a monster meat, and have a 30/30% chance of getting a silk/gland. This can also apply to any mobs that have a variable chance at dropping different things such as pigs. A guaranteed meat with a 30% chance of a skin to drop along with it up from 25%. This would be wonderful especially for mobs such as volt goats. He can just have an additional 5-10% chance of dropping a horn. One other potential idea would be for mobs that don’t have variable drops would be having a chance to drop an extra resource such as a koalefant with 9 meat instead of 8. That seems way less important than the chance at better drops though.

For one, I'm surprised the developers didn't carry over one of his biggest traits from single player: bonus stats from crockpot dishes. Not just better for him though, better when any character eats it. It doesn't really make sense for a talented gourmet chef and a merm child to produce the same exact dish, just one being a little faster. I say that any dish produced in a portable crockpot should automatically get the prefix "Gourmet".

Design wise they did this already by adding the spices, and they went even further, not only spiced food is "better" but it lets you decide what buff do you want your food to have.

In theory this is great design, the problem of Warly is how painful and time consuming farming is, plus the fact that the spice ingredients are not readily available on the land in the early game.

For Warly to be better and be able to use his perks for the general good much faster , new veggies should grow naturally instead of carrots (or pigs could have a small patch of chilis planted on their land, for example) and veggies fed to a bird should give a guaranteed specific second seed.

This I agree, Warly needs a specific buff that makes him irrepleaceble. Producing extra meat would probably help in making people think twice before switching characters.

Plus he needs a "selfish" perk, something he can do better than others, that is why I suggested that all the special effects of his dishes to last a lot longer on himself. 

With all the changes explained above:

• Random variety of veggies growing naturally, both in the surface and caves
  • Guaranteed second specific seed when feeding veggies to birds
  • Better butcher Warly (shields extra meat from most enemies that hqve meat as loot)
  • Refined palate lets special effects of his foods last longer on him

We'd get a character that will not be S tier, but in no way will he be the switch and drop char anymore.

Archived