The mysterious upcoming short

15 minutes ago, thetricker1 said:

maybe a longer short telling us some lore(i wish from ancients)

klei, by the years, has "liked" a lot of comments in YT talking about make a film or tv show...

*ekhem* Netflix is open for materials to make new TV series *ekhem* only joke, don't hurt or kill me 

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.c08fdabbcf39a8e05a85c28f6031eee5.png

Last pic is from Don't Starve: The movie by Gritty Reboots. They did really good human adaptation and pic is used just for meme, don't blame their job :wilson_love:

30 minutes ago, Owlrus98 said:

Let us note that with each coming short, there is a chance that one of them will be fully voice-acted! Personally, I'm so hyped to hear and see the personality of the characters through voice. 

I doubt that any of the characters will have a voice actor. The unique thing about don't starves characters are their voices, they're literal instruments, and each character has a diffrent one. You can partly tell who is who and what character they are/represent by the tune and sound of the instrument, for example Wolfgang has a Tuba as his voice which shows that he's represented as mighty and big while Wendy has a soft Alto Flute ( in lower pitch ) as her voice representing both her being a child and a sad character. If real voices were to be ever implemented to these characters the entire idea of using instruments as voices in the past would be completely pointless and kill the magic behind it entirely, but maybe that's just me.

5 minutes ago, bruhmoment23 said:

[...] You can partly tell who is who and what character they are/represent by the tune and sound of the instrument [..]

Side note, but I'm still mildy mad that Willow's and Wendy's caroling is the same sound... 

39 minutes ago, Owlrus98 said:

Let us note that with each coming short, there is a chance that one of them will be fully voice-acted! Personally, I'm so hyped to hear and see the personality of the characters through voice. 

Wilson, Willow and Webber were voiced in the Winters Feast video.

8 minutes ago, fimmatek said:

Side note, but I'm still mildy mad that Willow's and Wendy's caroling is the same sound... 

You're right, but it was probably due to Klei either making a mistake with the voice compositions and forgetting about it or just got lazy and putted the exact same version on another character. Side note, Willow's voice is also a Flute, so there could have been somekind of accident or unintended mixage with voice files when the caroling emote was being made.

Okay seriously when is Year of the Carrat supposed to end? maybe this mysterious short will feature Carrats carrying out their evil plot to take over the entire world.

I don’t mind Klei taking all the time they need on the next couple updates, but an end date on Carrat would be nice to know ahead of time.

3 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Okay seriously when is Year of the Carrat supposed to end? maybe this mysterious short will feature Carrats carrying out their evil plot to take over the entire world.

I don’t mind Klei taking all the time they need on the next couple updates, but an end date on Carrat would be nice to know ahead of time.

I mean it's just an event that goes further than planned, is it really that bothersome? Just because the event is still going doesnt mean people at Klei arent working, perhaps they just don't have time or forgot about the end date of the event and decided to make it abit longer. Everything will come to an end my friend, don't worry.

2 minutes ago, bruhmoment23 said:

I mean it's just an event that goes further than planned, is it really that bothersome? Just because the event is still going doesnt mean people at Klei arent working, perhaps they just don't have time or forgot about the end date of the event and decided to make it abit longer. Everything will come to an end my friend, don't worry.

I don’t think so man.. I’ve been seeing some strange stuff in my game lately, Carrats disappearing, Carrats Re-Appearing out of nowhere- How did they get all the way from Lunar Island to the main land? 

Carrats attempting to tame and ride Beefalo.. I’ve even heard people talk about Carrats starting the jumping animation and going higher and higher but never coming back down.

I mean.. they have their own SHRINE for pete’s Sake... how can you not be convinced that they aren’t more then just harmless little racing buddies for our personal amusement? 

The next short showcases the hostile Carrat takeover... it has to!

1 hour ago, Owlrus98 said:

i prefer, even if its a movie or a tv show, that they keep making just musical noise. Its part of the personality having an instrument as voice 

i love it

1 minute ago, thetricker1 said:

i prefer, even if its a movie or a tv show, that they keep making just musical noise. Its part of the personality having an instrument as voice 

i love it

I dunno.. if they did a full length movie I think I’d prefer actual voice overs... musical instruments wouldn’t keep me entertained for a 2 hour film.

i need to know what they’re saying and what’s going on, Insturments just leave us to Guess at what they’re saying unless they have one of them speech bubbles with a lot of reading involved.

Which is great if you can actually read them, but like with my little sister who has trouble reading voice overs are obviously better. 

Especially for a full length feature film.

5 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I dunno.. if they did a full length movie I think I’d prefer actual voice overs... musical instruments wouldn’t keep me entertained for a 2 hour film.

i need to know what they’re saying and what’s going on, Insturments just leave us to Guess at what they’re saying unless they have one of them speech bubbles with a lot of reading involved.

Which is great if you can actually read them, but like with my little sister who has trouble reading voice overs are obviously better. 

Especially for a full length feature film.

if its well done its beutiful, think about roadrunner show 

17 minutes ago, thetricker1 said:

i love it

What if they made the dialogue like in the old silent films?
It would fit with the style of the game since the trailers reminded me of them

Just now, thetricker1 said:

if its well done its beutiful, think about roadrunner show 

Road runner was only like a 20 minute cartoon..

It would be more like the LEGO games or movies that only featured a lot of subtle grunts and hmm sounds, up until they added actual voice acting into them which allowed for deeper story narrative.

Sure voiceovers might seem odd since the game itself does not have them.. but it’s something you’d just have to learn to eventually come to love.

I was one of those skeptics back when they started giving legos voice-overs... and as it turned out I liked LEGO Batman 2 significantly better than LEGO Batman 1 BECAUSE of the Voice work.

1 hour ago, bruhmoment23 said:

I doubt that any of the characters will have a voice actor. The unique thing about don't starves characters are their voices, they're literal instruments, and each character has a diffrent one. You can partly tell who is who and what character they are/represent by the tune and sound of the instrument, for example Wolfgang has a Tuba as his voice which shows that he's represented as mighty and big while Wendy has a soft Alto Flute ( in lower pitch ) as her voice representing both her being a child and a sad character. If real voices were to be ever implemented to these characters the entire idea of using instruments as voices in the past would be completely pointless and kill the magic behind it entirely, but maybe that's just me.

If Klei can successfully make a short without dialogue like in  Nowhere to Go, then we can enjoy a dialogueless DS. Though bonus points if they add dialogue in annotated subtitles to fill our need for lore.:wilson_ecstatic:

4 hours ago, Charesque said:

It was promised? Could you find a quote, please?

"Over the course of the next year, we will be bestowing every character with revamped abilities, and give a glimpse into their backstory."

Woodie's short did absolutely NOT do that. There was no backstory. Or story in general.

1 minute ago, Ogrecakes said:

"Over the course of the next year, we will be bestowing every character with revamped abilities, and give a glimpse into their backstory."

Woodie's short did absolutely NOT do that. There was no backstory. Or story in general.

That’s not true, it showed that he is now a total badass lycromancer who has the power to control his transformations and he murders Tree Guardians with great ease.

It may not have been the Backstory you were hoping for.... but it did a good job of showing what Woodie Does now that he’s found himself inside the Constant.

And Willows short only showed her in the orphanage as a young child, if she is meant to be around Wilson’s age... then Where’s the short showing her at her older age being taken into the Constant?

10 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

That’s not true, it showed that he is now a total badass lycromancer who has the power to control his transformations and he murders Tree Guardians with great ease.

It may not have been the Backstory you were hoping for.... but it did a good job of showing what Woodie Does now that he’s found himself inside the Constant.

And Willows short only showed her in the orphanage as a young child, if she is meant to be around Wilson’s age... then Where’s the short showing her at her older age being taken into the Constant?

"Woodie can transform" is not a backstory.

There is no story there, there's no details to extrapolate about why he is cursed, who Lucy is, why Woodie is in the constant, where he was from... nothing.

It just showed off "Funny Canada man who makes haha references", which is kinda insulting to people like me who care about the characters and the lore. It felt childish, not in tone with the rest of Don't Starve at all.

He comes from a lumber camp in Canada, and from around the 1900's~ too, between that and the added totems theres something to be said about the deforestation of indigenous lands by European colonialists, was Woodie involved? Does that explain the totems, and the curse?

Nope, nothing. The totems aren't even in the short.

Willow showed that she was from an orphanage, a shadow creature seems to have singled her out, her bear possesses some power against them, and it ends with Willow seemingly having some powers over fire, as she burns down her orphanage and runs away.

Archived