Oxygen distribution through conveyor rails

I noticed that materials were off-gassing on the conveyor rails.  This means we can use conveyors to convey oxylite around the base to more evenly distribute oxygen without use of the building layer.  Simply convey packets of oxylite in a loop and always send out 20 kg packets.

I don't have time to experiment with it right now, but I am curious.  Has anyone attempted to do this?  If so, how effective is it?  I was thinking of using this in a barracks to let the dupes sleep without gaps but still let them breathe through the night.

I have used conveyor rails to melt ice into water which is similar to what you're suggesting.

However once the ice fully melted the basket on the rail remained.  Which caused backups on the line

The same might happen to oxylite so be careful with that if you try to create a loop

Just now, Neotuck said:

I have used conveyor rails to melt ice into water which is similar to what you're suggesting.

However once the ice fully melted the basket on the rail remained.  Which caused backups on the line

The same might happen to oxylite so be careful with that if you try to create a loop

Empty baskets are deleted when they get to an input, for example a conveyor bridge or ore chute.

My thinking is that any excess oxylite that made it through the loop would be dumped out of a chute in the loading room, that way we always have 20 kg packets at the beginning.  This is because, as far as I know, you can't reload a packet on the rail.

Have they sorted out conveyors causing an insurmountable amount of lag yet?  ie, have they re-coded conveyors to process on a separate thread.

If they have, then this would be viable, but until then, this sounds like a recipe for lag hell.

2 hours ago, Craigjw said:

Have they sorted out conveyors causing an insurmountable amount of lag yet?  ie, have they re-coded conveyors to process on a separate thread.

Not to my knowledge. If not, then the effect of using more than just a small number of rails is very bad.

It's an interesting idea, but do you really have issues with oxygen distribution inside your base?

Especially by the time you could build a conveyor system?

A couple of vents in open areas and a few airflow tiles in the floors to let the co2 sink should be more than sufficient.

1 hour ago, Soulwind said:

It's an interesting idea, but do you really have issues with oxygen distribution inside your base?

A couple of vents in open areas and a few airflow tiles in the floors to let the co2 sink should be more than sufficient.

Yes, already too much gas-pipes :p

13 minutes ago, FenrirZeroZero said:

Another possibility: Just provide the sleeping area with oxygen and let them wear exosuits ever after they leave the room.

Sorts out quite a hassle and stops the redshirts from melting in lava. (mostly)

Question: if an exosuit is used for the whole work period, is there enough time to recharge it during the downtime/sleep period?

5 hours ago, Soulwind said:

The thing is I like to build 2x32 barracks to conserve vertical space, but the middle of the room loses oxygen sometimes.

1 hour ago, Zarquan said:

The thing is I like to build 2x16 barracks to conserve vertical space, but the middle of the room loses oxygen sometimes.

2 high rooms can trap air easily, consider placing airflow tiles evenly spaced in all the floors and ceilings

1 hour ago, Neotuck said:

2 high rooms can trap air easily, consider placing airflow tiles evenly spaced in all the floors and ceilings

Yeah, but I usually put either gold metal tiles or window tiles on the floor and ceiling so they get good decor.  I would rather not use airflow tiles because they block decor, so if this (conveyor oxylite oxygen distribution) works and isn't too computationally intensive, I would like to try it.

4 minutes ago, Zarquan said:

Yeah, but I usually put either gold metal tiles or window tiles on the floor and ceiling so they get good decor.  I would rather not use airflow tiles because they block decor, so if this works and isn't too computationally intensive, I would like to try it.

Fair enough, my barracks are 4  tiles high so I have plenty of room for decor.  Hence I don't need glass floors

20 hours ago, Neotuck said:

Question: if an exosuit is used for the whole work period, is there enough time to recharge it during the downtime/sleep period?

The Suit is reloaded in seconds with the oxygen stored in the station. The Station recharges the stock over the whole day. So Yes it has be far enough time.

Archived