interesting world gen twicks to season a bit the gameplay?

45 minutes ago, meepmoop said:

What twicks can I do to the world gen to make the game more fresh?

Like "Lights out" and "together plus". Are there any more twicks you ever tried?

If I do a world solo I use to make less grass, twigs and berries.

I already changed my presets, now there is not even grass on the surface, but there is Spiky Bushes now.
And now there are Reeds in the caves.
Unfortunately I had to decrease the Merms.

After playing with Webber I realized that no character needs Berries Bushes on the map (Not even in the caves) to survive.

19 minutes ago, Wesbie said:

I already changed my presets, now there is not even grass on the surface, but there is Spiky Bushes now.
And now there are Reeds in the caves.
Unfortunately I had to decrease the Merms.

After playing with Webber I realized that no character needs Berries Bushes on the map (Not even in the caves) to survive.

yea I also abbandoned the dig all berries method. But they are still nice fillers every now and then.

If you want a rather miserable experience - set every resource to "Less", as well as friendly creature encounters. Completely disable butterflies or just disable the day cycle (which is more fun) - and most importantly - set the rain to "Lots". 
Have fun dealing with torches that last around 20 seconds and nightmare beings that won't leave you alone.

I didn't check any of those, but here are some ideas I can think of right now (based on removing main source of resource, requiring to resort to alternative sources. Hamlet and DS adventure mode style):

Set grass, saplings, spiky bushes to none; tumbleweeds become almost the only source of those (unless tumbleweeds loot is also affected by setting grass and twigs to none). You can also get grass from withered plants in caves.

Set spiders to none and tumbleweeds on the surface and blue webbed mushtrees in caves become the only source of silk. If you also set regrowth to none in caves, silk will become finite because new blue mushtrees won't spawn.

Set bee hives to none; you will have to find 4 bees in tumbleweeds and get 1 honeycomb from Gigantic Beehive to make Bee Box (won't work because gigantic beehive will also be removed if you set bee hives to none; would've been a nice challenge).

Set trees to none; you will have to pray on Catcoon awarding you with pinecones and birchnuts to get your first wood.

Set pigs to none; you will have to make pig houses from pigskin obtained by hammering pig heads.

Set boulders and meteors to none - get minerals from moleworms and earthquakes. (Moon rocks can be farmed via moon stone)

Set moleworms and rabbits to none - get them from earthquakes, tumbleweeds and catcoons.

Set reeds to none - get them from catcoons and tumbleweeds.

Set birds to none - get them from catcoons.

Set ice glaciers to none - you guessed it, catcoons.

And so on.

I love world themes. I made a world named "Thunderbirds".I set every animal/monster to none but birds (pengulls, tallbirds and alike are set to more), more rain and lightning. Edible plants set to none but berry bushes for gobblers and Wurt players. I think a setting with a short night/no night make it more fun.

--Set everything to More (Lots isn't needed, as More IS already lots), good and bad.  Probably have the world size at standard or slightly lower.  Best with only one player, as the lag will MURDER THE ENTIRE NEIGHBORHOOD.  Suggested character:  Wigfrid, as you're gonna need armour right from the get-go.  (There WILL be hostile mobs right at start, maybe even clockwork bishops.)

Good luck!

--Mess with the seasons.  Put them all on "random" length.  There's also a mod to make them even more so, if you're able to use them. Specifics:  This mod goes usually by increments of 5 days (I think?) with possible lengths being 0-40 for summer and winter, and 0-50 for spring and autumn. Since "0" is a legit length, seasons CAN sometimes be entirely skipped.  If you see the trees starting to go green in winter...prototype an endo fire, just in case.

--Customised world shapes/landscapes?  Well, again, if you're able to use mods, there's Desert Enhancement, which makes a world of mostly desert with some oases (and "nice" little surprises such as the occasional large, I mean like, Adventure-Mode time, clockwork biome).  I remember one time I had no pine trees so I was SUPER HAPPY when a catcoon dropped one.  "GOOD kitty!"  (yoink)  It was that kind of world.

The same modder also made one called "Extra Worldgen Config" but it is currently BROKEN DUE TO TURN OF TIDES, so proceed at your own risk. The reason I mentioned it anyway?  You could indeed have an Archipelago.  :\

--If you can't use mods, try some stuff I did, such as setting things to Less and then turning up the meteors.  BLASTED APOCALYPSE WASTELAND, WHOOO!  Or at least that was the idea.

--You can do various combinations of day/season difference to try for different "planet" feels, such as a dimly lit and cold one (more winter, no summer at all, mostly dusk/night) or a scorching desert (no winter at all, longest season summer, hardly any night, fewer ponds), or The World Has Stopped Spinning Entirely (ONLY winter and summer, ALL extremes, all the time!)

And that's what I came up with for now.

...Notorious 

I used to play with the "Actual season randomizer" mod, it was pretty fun and can recommend for some long-term change in the world.

4 hours ago, shadowDigga said:

Set trees to none; you will have to pray on Catcoon awarding you with pinecones and birchnuts to get your first wood.

Actually, world regrowth will make trees appear after some time even if you set them to none. I tried it.

4 hours ago, shadowDigga said:

Set spiders to none and tumbleweeds on the surface and blue webbed mushtrees in caves become the only source of silk. If you also set regrowth to none in caves, silk will become finite because new blue mushtrees won't spawn.

Not quite, infested stalagmites and dangling depth dwellers are also a decent source of silk in the caves.

13 minutes ago, ADM said:

I personally slightly "cheat" cause I have a customised worldgen config, forcing biomes to spawn at wanted location and all that kind of stuff so they are always perfect according to my preference...

Modding isn't cheating. I know there are purists of the game but what's wrong to make the game more interesting and fun?

The mod you're using is "Force Biomes", aren't you? It's a good mod to give you a prefered world gen.

1 minute ago, axxel said:

The mod you're using is "Force Biomes", aren't you? It's a good mod to give you a prefered world gen.

Nope I'm not using mods for that, I also want to make sure where they spawn, I've edited my files to make that.

If you want to live in my personal Hell.. Try this-

Every Season is set to Very Short Except Summer Which is Set to very Long.

Day is set to very long and night is very short.

Ice is Turned off so your not building Ice Flingo Matics to Rely on them.

Deerclops is turned off as well so you can’t get the Eyebrella to Rely on.

Caves are also Turned off so you can’t retreat into those for safety.

The Results is a Server where you only have a few days between each season before a grueling hardcore Summer sets in that lasts almost Forever.

For added fun.. I Recommend NOT killing AntLion so that you also have to deal with Ground Collapses.

I did a server called Rain of Giants once with rain set to Lots and all giants also set to Lots. It was fun! Pretty much everyone died repeatedly!

Because I like volt goats, I usually set them to More. This makes it easier to get electric weapons, but also makes spring rainstorms and touchstone resurrections... interesting.

Archived