Discussion about problem with Suggestions & Feedback forum

Hello there, there is a problem with Suggestions and Feedback forum. The problem with it is that not many people see and discuss about those suggestions which is not helping with telling if the community like or dislike them which also not helping developers. Another problem is that the threads that are moved there are easly forgotten about and basicly left to die. So maybe we should merge Suggestions & Feedback forums with General discussion, becouse there some really good suggestions that need to be discussed about, I think it would allow more people to see it and it would also help devs to tell how many people like it. General discussion would be really good place for Suggestions and Feedback and those 2 things are also some sort of discussions right? What do you think? Should those two forums be merged together? Btw if this thread will be moved to Suggestions & Feedback, that would be ironic.

YES!! God Yes, I don’t get why threads get placed in Suggestions & Feedback when they go there to DIE.. an Idea needs to be seen, Read and Commented on, likes or Disliked..

So the devs can see good suggestions and How many People who are playing their game like those Suggestions.

(I’ve seen some really good Ideas suggested Like Elevated Lands.. and ive seen some not so great Ideas like adding Mario power caps to the game) 

We could use a Dislike or Thumbs down Emote so people can Agree & Disagree with Gameplay suggestions so that we can all know where our ideas stand (be it a great idea or a terrible one..)

I am willing to admit that I am no stranger to terrible ideas.. but usually someone comes along and improves upon my idea, Suggests something Better, or Debunks why it’s bad altogether.

The two forums should not be merged, since they have completely different purposes. Suggestions and Feedback is for suggestions about the game and ways it could be changed or added to, while the discussion forum is for discussion about the game as it is. Whenever I go to general discussion, I'm looking for discussion on the game in general, not just ideas people have had. Similarly, when I go to suggestions and feedback I'm looking to see ideas people have had, not discussion on the game in general. I've seen a few people lately who seem to think that the only difference is that topics in the discussion forum contain discussion, leading to obvious suggestion threads where there's multiple mentions in the OP of "I want other people to discuss this" as if it's some kind of loophole.

All the complaints about the suggestions forum lately just feel like people causing a problem themselves and then complaining that said problem exists. Nobody reads the suggestions forum? That likely includes you, the people complaining that nobody is reading the suggestions forum. You want people to read your suggestions? Then check the suggestions forum, read other people's threads there, and interact with the ones that interest you. If everyone doing all this complaining just used the forums how they're meant to be used, we wouldn't even have a problem of lack of activity.

Regardless, I dislike this idea that's developed lately that the likeliness of a suggestion being added depends on how many funny forum points and replies it gets, that's just not true. I made a suggestion months ago which only got a singular reply, but it also got a reaction from a dev, and then got implemented into the game (two types of Koi during the lunar new year). That suggestion might've exploded if I had put it in the general discussion forum, but it also probably wouldn't have been seen by the people who can actually make it happen officially.

8 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I also think that DST & DST Return of Them should be merged into one topic as well with only ONE exception.

Return of Them Beta & Beta Bugs.. That way posting Return of Them Content in General Discussion isn’t met with “Blargggghhh that doesn’t Belong Here PMing Admin now so it is Moved!!”

..... like seriously, how the Heck is ANY Newer player going to be able to differentiate between what is Return of Them content and what is Core gameplay content.. when what they’re playing (unless they’re in Beta phase) IS Core Gameplay Content???

It probably will be when the updates for this dlc will end, i don't know how it was with the new reign here on forums but it isn't seperate thread so.

I can't say much about this situation since i'm new to these forums, but there seems to be alot of controversy about the topic of suggestion forum that isn't gaining  any popularity or having idea threads moved from general discussion into suggestion thread which people think is somekind of scrapyard where everything falls into oblivion. I agree with @Sunset Skye since the value of an idea/post shouldnt be measured by it's popularity or amount of replies but rather the sole creativity of it and thoughts behind it.

I agree with you @Sunset Skye you made really good points there.

14 minutes ago, bruhmoment23 said:

the value of an idea/post shouldnt be measured by it's popularity or amount of replies but rather the sole creativity of it and thoughts behind it.

Yes, creativity before popularity.

6 minutes ago, Terra M Welch said:

make it a sub-forum for general discussion(or some kind of shortcut link), so it's easier to spot for those who tend to stick to general discussion.

I think it would be better solution

5 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I can agree to this, but my point behind Return of Them related content still stands...

HOW is ANYONE who goes out buys this game TODAY going to know the difference between Return of Them and Core Gameplay Content? Because for them RoT IS Core Content.

HOWEVER.. Anyone in the BETA Branch should have A thread for Return of Them BETA feedback & Bugs.

I think that

36 minutes ago, Kuba5565 said:

It probably will be when the updates for this dlc will end, i don't know how it was with the new reign here on forums but it isn't seperate thread so.

I could go either way on this.

I think generally most forums see far more traffic in the General Discussion section than any other section, and i've seen the topic of merging sections discussed in other forums as well.

I think it's due to a few factors, mainly the more casual forum goers (of which i'd guess are probably the largest percentage of a forums traffic) likely don't visit too many sections outside of GD, which results in fewer posts, and less traffic in the other sections, which further deters people from viewing and posting. Another factor could be the subconscious feeling that, outside of a few exceptions, most non Dev ideas are half baked or counter to how an individual might view the game (i'm guilty of this, all the time), which further reduces traffic and posts. Then there is the small percentage of people who don't care about where a post should be made, or just didn't consider where it should go. The thread is then moved to the proper location but then not followed up on, either because out of sight out of mind, or distaste over the improper posting location. Again, less traffic, less posts.

For these forums, and especially considering we are getting new content on top of the fact the Devs stated they are watching us, I wouldn't be against a merger of GD and Suggestions. I also think the general population of these forums are low enough to where things wouldn't get too crazy.

But i'd imagine the best solution would be for us as a community to try and engage the Suggestions section more on our own (myself included). 

Edit: It may also help to move it below the Xbox section/above the Bug Tracker section. It's currently near the bottom of the list.

The 2 subforums should stay as they are. That means separated.

What should be done however is deffinitely moving Sugestions and Feedback higher. As of now it's way to low for most forum users to notice.

1 hour ago, Sunset Skye said:

Regardless, I dislike this idea that's developed lately that the likeliness of a suggestion being added depends on how many funny forum points and replies it gets, that's just not true. I made a suggestion months ago which only got a singular reply, but it also got a reaction from a dev, and then got implemented into the game (two types of Koi during the lunar new year). That suggestion might've exploded if I had put it in the general discussion forum, but it also probably wouldn't have been seen by the people who can actually make it happen officially

Sure, great idea.

But it's not only sunshine and rainbows now, is it.

What if devs find an 'unpopular' suggestion and decide to add it into the game but then it turns out that the community hates it?

I have posted replies like this in the past and maybe at some point I will pin it somewhere or something, but for now I feel it's better to just explain from time to time. 

First - it's very unlikely and has only happened a couple times that we would take any one suggestion wholesale and implement that. The simplest reason being that we at Klei enjoy making our things and we're not interested in just copying somebody elses idea. But the more complicated version is that it's just not that simple. Many suggestions are interesting but their value is generally far more than just the original suggestion, but the thoughts and ideas that come from the conversation it brings.  

What the suggestions and feedback forums are for - quite literally is to have conversations going. Those conversations refine, grow or die depending on how people think about those suggestions. As we see the types of things people are thinking, it helps us understand where we need to go and what we want to do. 

General discussions will ALWAYS have more views and traffic because - that's generally where people go. But stuff has to be kept clean otherwise the forum will cease to be helpful to everybody. We try to keep general clean because that's where new players are going to land, and it would be pretty confusing knowing what was or wasn't part of the game with suggestions floating around everywhere. 

But if you think of things more long term, and from a broader perspective, you have to understand that we aren't sitting on the forums looking for things to do. We're DOING things and while we are doing them, we are watching what people are saying and thinking about and keeping these things in perspective for the future. At any given time suggestions are usually based around how the game is now, and we're usually thinking about where it's going to be. 

For example. Early in DS development, We were getting tons of suggestions and feedback based on the fact that the game was too easy. Way too easy. And we saw that feedback, but we were also VERY aware that Winter hadn't been added to the game yet. Once Winter was added to the game, those complaints changed very quick to how the game was too hard. Can you imagine how much of a mess that would have been if we reacted to the earlier "this is too easy" complaints?

I use this as an example because it's the easiest to understand. But this basic perspective is always where we are at. There is a lot that goes into our process, but this is a simple way of explaining where we are coming from. 

So TL;DR - If you want your very specific idea put into the game, you probably want to think about making a mod. But if you have an idea, talk about it. Let us know what you think. It shapes the future of this game, and us understanding what you want and are looking for in the game definitely has an effect on our decisions. 

2 hours ago, JoeW said:

First - it's very unlikely and has only happened a couple times that we would take any one suggestion wholesale and implement that.

It's actually pretty sad to think that by coming up with an idea and posting it in suggestions forum someone would be making it less likely to ever be implemented than if he/she never mentioned it so the devs can come up to it themselves and not be worried about 'copying'. It also means that if QoL updates are planned their design phase would take much longer than if some of the ready community suggestions were implemented.

2 hours ago, JoeW said:

I have posted replies like this in the past and maybe at some point I will pin it somewhere or something, but for now I feel it's better to just explain from time to time. 

Perhaps a pinned topic regarding current suggestions policy in corresponding suggestions forum will be more noticeable (so people would consider whether to post their idea or not) than a single post in a non-pinned topic in _general_ discussion that will go down the first page within few days. But that's just my opinion.

2 hours ago, shadowDigga said:

It's actually pretty sad to think that by coming up with an idea and posting it in suggestions forum someone would be making it less likely to ever be implemented than if he/she never mentioned it so the devs can come up to it themselves and not be worried about 'copying'. It also means that if QoL updates are planned their design phase would take much longer than if some of the ready community suggestions were implemented.

I don't think that's what Joe meant, though that interpretation is definitely understandable. He said that very rarely will a given idea in its entirety will be brought into the game exactly the way it was originally presented. That doesn't mean some version of the idea is less likely to enter the game; just that the original idea word-for-word is not likely to enter the game.

Based on Joe's clarification that "their value is generally far more than just the original suggestion, but the thoughts and ideas that come from the conversation it brings", I think this interpretation was what he was going for. 

Archived