Hot Water vs Valves and Sleet Wheat V2 (TEST)

This is my second test on if valves help stop the transfer of heat from water into hydroponic tiles

This topic is in response to these other topics

https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/topic/115531-hot-water-vs-valves-and-sleet-wheat-test/

https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/topic/115549-farming-with-99c-water/

In this new test I started off with cold water and waited until both farms have equalized in temperature.  The thermal sensor in the farms control the wheezeworts preventing the temperature from dropping lower than -10C

20200208164526_1.thumb.jpg.6de4eb1e175ad2e572e6ddfc64507e19.jpg20200208164541_1.thumb.jpg.94397342da1081538ddf3390bd1c6ddb.jpg20200208164547_1.thumb.jpg.88006e137c6044d284e0d2298bb444ce.jpg

The idea is to slowly raise the temperature of the water by adjusting the thermal sensor in the tank.  Eventually the water will get too warm for the wheezeworts to keep up.

20200208170321_1.thumb.jpg.cdd58d497c0a5d5b62872509f8e5e73d.jpg

But which farm will warm up first?  One with the valves or without?

This experiment is ongoing and I'll update the results later.  

I would like to hear comments from @Zarquan @Saturnus @Angpaur and @psusi for your input on this experiment and if you'll agree with the results

------------UPDATE-------------

Well it took a few hours of running the game on ALT+Z speed but I finally have some results

At 58C water the farm without valves slightly warmed up to -8C and couldn't cool back down however it didn't warm any further

At 60C water the farm without valves warmed up to -7C and the farm with valves warmed up to -8C, nether farm could cool back down to -10C and would not worm up any further

At 62C water both farms did drop another degree from before but remained stable nether warming up or cooling down.  Only a one degree difference between the two farms

As I raise the temperature from this point the two farms follow the same pattern: for every 2 degrees warmer the farms warm up one degree with the valves being one degree cooler than the one without

By the time the water was raised to 85C, temperatures in the farms began to warm up at a slow but steady rate

Eventually with 85C water the farm without valves wilts first.20200208231637_1.thumb.jpg.73116583191b58bffe673c9960dee571.jpg

However as soon as they wilt they quickly cool down allowing them to grow again.  This grow/wilt pattern continues as each time they wilt the water flow stops and the wheezeworts have time to cool the farm back down

20200208231649_1.thumb.jpg.4404716fd745573b400db8173bd82ea8.jpg

After about 5 cycles from when the first farm wilted, the other one starts to wilt as well, it also follows a pattern of wilt/grow but much slower as it takes more time to fill up the hydroponic tile before the wheezeworts get a chance to cool them back down

20200208232223_1.thumb.jpg.8908521e327ecc90be4715c8cb67f731.jpg

ANALYSIS

I don't see any signs of the sleet wheat deleting heat so using valves only seemed to slow down the absorption of heat, but not stopping it.

While the farm without valves did warm up first, it didn't take long for the one with valves to catch up and in the end they both wilted under the same heat

Up to player's choice if using valves is worth it

It seems good on its face but the tempshift plates still may be pulling the heat out of the water in the farm tiles before it is deleted.  I'd say forgo the tempshift plates just to make sure that isn't doing anything and heck even screw the wheeze warts and instead just start with a tank full of a fixed amount of fixed temperature coolant going through radiant pipes above the plants with a one tile gap between the pipes and the farm tiles to make sure they can't be pulling heat out of the water before it is deleted.

Also maybe rather than raising the temperature of the incoming water over time, stick with fixed temperature water that maybe isn't so hot... like 40 C instead of 95 C.  And I'm not so sure about the ability of pipes to evenly split the flow of water so stick with one valve per hydroponic tile.  That's how I used to grow briistle berries and I'm certain when I added the one valve per tile to limit the water flow it made temperature management much easier.

4 minutes ago, psusi said:

It seems good on its face but the tempshift plates still may be pulling the heat out of the water in the farm tiles before it is deleted.

I did try without tempshift plates but they heated up too fast, I don't see any signs of heat deletion.  With the tempshift plates the heat is getting absorbed with the wheezeworts

9 minutes ago, psusi said:

and I'm not so sure about the ability of pipes to evenly split the flow of water so stick with one valve per hydroponic tile.

In my last test that made no difference, the temperatures remained even 

19 hours ago, Neotuck said:

In my last test that made no difference, the temperatures remained even 

As long as you keep an eye on the hydroponic tiles and see that they do not end up with water sitting in them that that should cover that base.

59 minutes ago, psusi said:

As long as you keep an eye on the hydroponic tiles and see that they do not end up with water sitting in them that that should cover that base.

Trust me I did, the only time they filled up is when the plant wilted 

1 hour ago, Neotuck said:

I would be interested in results of:
Is your experiment giving out same numbersz, when you run it offscreen (far away) and only watch it while paused, going offscreen and then unpausing?

^^

17 hours ago, Neotuck said:

When I tried this in the past, I had difficulty keeping the hydroponic tiles from filling up when the plants were ready for harvest.  I'm curious if you have some trick to avoid this issue.

6 minutes ago, Nitroturtle said:

When I tried this in the past, I had difficulty keeping the hydroponic tiles from filling up when the plants were ready for harvest.  I'm curious if you have some trick to avoid this issue.

The best option is probably a carefully calculated water timer. There's a couple old threads I can't find about no dupe farming. There was some good information in those about timers and calculating resource usage.

Maybe someone else will have those threads bookmarked. I couldn't find it in a quick Google search. 

1 hour ago, Nitroturtle said:

'Ready to harvest' crops absorb the same amount of water/dirt as the growth periods

If this was a problem before, it must have been patched

1 hour ago, Neotuck said:

'Ready to harvest' crops absorb the same amount of water/dirt as the growth periods

If this was a problem before, it must have been patched

It's quite possible I'm remembering it incorrectly, as it was some while ago.  Regardless, thanks for explanation.

Archived