Farming with 99C water

Yes, it is possible. All you need is to limit flow and provide some cooling.

Below is an example (or I should say proof of concept) of sleet wheat farm:

65831B74D64AB25229FBB0A0E67BA15F6DAD96AC

On next screenshot you can see that a 99C water is sent to the farm. It is splitted into 2 sections of 8 tiles. Water flow is limited to 528g/s, which next is splitted to 264g/s for each section:

23B22003B0F779B05BFCB4136145C94C6770683A

Temperature is slowly dropping so seems like there is enough cooling. Maybe even too much. I started tests with using only 14 wheezeworts and seems like temperature may stablizie just slighty below maximum temperature for sleet wheat, which would be optimal.

Water is delivered to each tile exactly in a moment when previous water portion is depleted so there is no interruption in plant growing.

Hydroponic tiles are built with aluminium ore.

Tempshift plates are build with dirt to stabilize temperature inside and to make sure it doesn't jump too much when hot dirt is delivered. It will absorb heat from the hydroponic tiles.

Below heat layer:

7DB9C5425E4F9E211172E9D372B41784B93A94E7

Farm is supplied with 75C dirt and wheezeworts with 36C phosphorite.

Same approach can be also applied for bristle berries, but you will need to reduce wheezeworts coint - probably 8-9 should  be enough.

Later, when I started 14 wheezworts test I added some cooling for the autosweepers so if you are concerned about it below is the solution:

C897C8852D97BF49686ECD644E30D45A0FA7A95A

33 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

To be fair my test had the wheezeworts in oxygen, I heard somewhere that they can cool much faster in hydrogen

Yes, they cool by a constant temperature, so hydrogen is the best.

4 hours ago, Angpaur said:

I haven't compared it yet. But I guess it would require much more wheezeworts to handle 99C in a system without valves.

Because the question at hand is whether the valves help, not just can it be done.

15 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

I think @Neotuck's test conclusively show that limiting flow in any way has absolutely no long term effects.

Peer review and reproducing results is important.  Neotuck is good, but he isn't perfect.  People make mistakes, so we should be run our own experiments in an attempt to reproduce his results.  I appreciate multiple people running their own experiments and posting their results.

33 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

I think @Neotuck's test conclusively show that limiting flow in any way has absolutely no long term effects.

I was not able to reproduce the same results, but I made few modifications to the test - I placed dirt outside the farm and also didn't use any tempshift plates. Final result was that farm with one valve limiting flow to 99.9g/s provided the lowest body temperature of plants.

I have compared the farm with one without any valves. I made a modification to both farms - I replaced tempshift plates touching farm tiles with drywalls. This allowed to more heat be deleted in the farm tiles.

I can definitely conclude that reducing flow like I did works and helps to reduce temperature inside farm if using same cooling power (14 wheezeworts in this case)

99BD4A01DB89B5FB879B6F048DB9635BE5606295

After 25 cycles the farm without valves started to fail. I tested both farms more and after 50 cycles temperatures stabilized:

-2C in farm with limited flow using valve

3.5C in farm without the valve, which was too much and 14 wheezeworts were not able to prevent periodical platns grow halting after hot dirt was delivered.

Farm with the valve has 5.5C lower temperature and allows stable grow of all plants so it can be fully automated and this is next step I'm going to do. I will also check if I can reduce number of wheezewrots even further.

On 8.2.2020 at 6:07 PM, Saturnus said:

Well it reduces the initial thermic shock that filled pipes with near 99° water have on the system. Slowly filling them with a little more then needed will create an thermal buffer with colder water. 

Basically it seems to boil down to how long you have to wait until the farm can truly start.

For my case i would add an "emergency" aquatuner for when the chamber gets to hot for the wheat. 

But thats my kind of play since i even add fail saves and access points to "perfekt" builds that run without fail. (Well mostly because i too often f*** something up thats interfering with other systems :D) 

43 minutes ago, FenrirZeroZero said:

But thats my kind of play since i even add fail saves and access points to "perfekt" builds that run without fail. (Well mostly because i too often f*** something up thats interfering with other systems :D) 

My play style is "energy efficiency" so I avoid aquatuners when I can and rely on wheezeworts a lot :p

30 minutes ago, RonEmpire said:

Nice setup but how do u supply the worts with those phosphorite when you run out.  The room is sealed and I don't see a drop chute in there. 

It's a debug build.  I'm sure an actual build would have a conveyor receptacle or chute or something.

6 hours ago, RonEmpire said:

Nice setup but how do u supply the worts with those phosphorite when you run out.  The room is sealed and I don't see a drop chute in there. 

As I mentioned in my post this is a proof of concept. In my real survival game there will be conveyor rail or automatic dispensers delivering the phosphorite.

I built it to check if such system can work and also to compare with system where 99C water is not limited.

Archived