It's been almost 4 years since DST released and the game largely plays the same

59 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Sure they can add him without Reworking any of his abilities.. but if they have to go through the trouble of animating every single clothing item in the game to be compatible with him then, why not just Rework his abilities in the process? Patience my friend.. maybe it will come, but let’s not rush.

That's not at all how skins work. If you install a mod for Wilbur right now, or a mod for Sans Undertale, or Rick Sanchez, or Greg Heffley, or Finn the Goldfish Cracker, or any other character mod that exists, they're able to wear any skin just like any other character. If skins had to somehow be "animated to be compatible with" characters (despite every current character sharing their body type and animations with Wilson), you wouldn't see any mod characters capable of wearing skins, and we probably wouldn't have nearly as many skins (or new characters) considering how incredibly inefficient it would be to "animate" all the characters all over again for each skin.
I'm aware that since you play on console you aren't able to install mods, but that doesn't mean you can come up with some crazy idea of how skins work and then confidently state it as fact.
image.png.ddf67a6020e5394cb48a9aa921728722.png

3 hours ago, Sunset Skye said:

That's not at all how skins work. If you install a mod for Wilbur right now, or a mod for Sans Undertale, or Rick Sanchez, or Greg Heffley, or Finn the Goldfish Cracker, or any other character mod that exists, they're able to wear any skin just like any other character. If skins had to somehow be "animated to be compatible with" characters (despite every current character sharing their body type and animations with Wilson), you wouldn't see any mod characters capable of wearing skins, and we probably wouldn't have nearly as many skins (or new characters) considering how incredibly inefficient it would be to "animate" all the characters all over again for each skin.
I'm aware that since you play on console you aren't able to install mods, but that doesn't mean you can come up with some crazy idea of how skins work and then confidently state it as fact.
image.png.ddf67a6020e5394cb48a9aa921728722.png

All I can say to this is that obviously Don’t Starve does not function like any other console game I’ve ever played then.

Because when asking Dev’s of other games about why we couldn’t have X item, That has always been their answer.

To be more Specific When Asking NetherRealm Studios why they put a Justice League the Movie Aquaman Skin in Injustice 2 But left his head looking nothing at all like Jason Momoa THAT was the BS Excuse Everyone was given.

So yeah- I cant speak for Mods, But I CAN speak for the game I paid for back when it released expecting Justice League skins to look like uhh well like Justice League Skins?

8 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

All I can say to this is that obviously Don’t Starve does not function like any other console game I’ve ever played then.

Because when asking Dev’s of other games about why we couldn’t have X item, That has always been their answer.

To be more Specific When Asking NetherRealm Studios why they put a Justice League the Movie Aquaman Skin in Injustice 2 But left his head looking nothing at all like Jason Momoa THAT was the BS Excuse Everyone was given.

So yeah- I cant speak for Mods, But I CAN speak for the game I paid for back when it released expecting Justice League skins to look like uhh well like Justice League Skins?

Every single character works on the same set of animations and just has different textures, similar to how a koalephant and beefalo are working on the same animations for the most part. i can think of many other games that do this same thing (brawhalla, oni, binding of isaac, plants vs zombies 2, castle crashers) basically any game that animates in a way that involves multiple seperate pictures stringed next to eachother in a way to make it look like they are 1 object.

3 hours ago, Lbphero said:

Every single character works on the same set of animations and just has different textures, similar to how a koalephant and beefalo are working on the same animations for the most part. i can think of many other games that do this same thing (brawhalla, oni, binding of isaac, plants vs zombies 2, castle crashers) basically any game that animates in a way that involves multiple seperate pictures stringed next to eachother in a way to make it look like they are 1 object.

The only one of those games that you just listed that I’ve actually played is Plants Vs Zombies 2 Garden Warfare.

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

The only one of those games that you just listed that I’ve actually played is Plants Vs Zombies 2 Garden Warfare.

I didnt mean garden warfare i meant plants vs. Zombies 2 the mobile game released in 2013, but besides that i feel you should be able to understand what im getting at based on footage of any of those games

21 hours ago, Lbphero said:

I didnt mean garden warfare i meant plants vs. Zombies 2 the mobile game released in 2013, but besides that i feel you should be able to understand what im getting at based on footage of any of those games

I see what your saying but the whole point was that Klei even stated themselves yesterday that they don’t want to add anymore characters just for the sake of “Adding More Characters” they want them to feel significant, fun, & Unique.

YES they probably could easily port over the other 6 Shipwrecked and Hamlet Characters, Walani, Wilbur, Woodlegs, Wilba, Wheeler & Wagstaff BUT they want to Refresh them in the process when/if they do.

0AC86CAD-F8E5-487A-968F-1A46FFF56822.png

8 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

port over the other 6 Shipwrecked and Hamlet Characters, Walani, Wilbur, Woodlegs, Wilba, Wheeler & Wagstaff...

Ah ha...! my Wilbur made it to the second place in your list, Wooo....!!! of all the spam finally some payoff. But still according to the 2020 Road map, Wendy is next (The symbol in front of the house look like Abigail's Flower)

P/s: About the unique thing: being able to run and throw manure to other face is pretty unique don't you think, sure fun too (to me at least).

1 hour ago, Psychomaniac said:

Ah ha...! my Wilbur made it to the second place in your list, Wooo....!!! of all the spam finally some payoff. But still according to the 2020 Road map, Wendy is next (The symbol in front of the house look like Abigail's Flower)

P/s: About the unique thing: being able to run and throw manure to other face is pretty unique don't you think, sure fun too (to me at least).

He needs more then that- There ARE a handful of Splumonkey down in Caves in the Game, but in Shipwrecked these were all over everywhere on their own islands and such.

Wilbur being a Monkey belongs with other monkeys, I really enjoy the whole Idea behind giving certain characters the ability to Befriend the unique Game Mobs in The game and add them as Followers to help them.

Wurt has Merms.

Webber has Spiders.

Wendy (Hopefully will get Ghosts)

Wilbur has Splumonkey.

and Wilba would be able to Befriend Cursed Werepigs (probably.. don’t take my word for that because It only makes sense that a little pig girl with a Werecurse Should be able to)

If your 100% Serious about having Wilbur added to the game consider creating your own thread explaining some of the things he should be able to do in DST.

I can only think of a handful of perks for him though myself, 1-Can have poop as something he just occasionally drops (at roughly the same speed as Webber’s silk beard or Wilson’s Beard) So he wouldn’t NEED to go find Beefalo or Koelephant to gather Poop, it would just be part of his perks.

It feels weird talking about a character with Poop as a Resource, But Wormwood smears Poop On himself to heal so it’s NOT Far-Fetched.

2- Can Befriend other Splumonkey and have them follow him.

3- Can “Jump” into trees to look for loose food items like apples, Birchnuts or Bananas without having to actually Chop the tree down.

These would be unique food items only Wilbur can find obviously, but I can think of a few new foods like Apple Pie & Banana Pudding I guess.

Probably as a Downside Hounds would focus on attacking him over the human characters, because uhh he’s A Monkey, and them hounds seem to chase Birds, Bees, KittyKit, Whatever.

Ultimately I have not played enough as Wilbur to say what is or what isn’t a good idea for him, This was all just me spitballing some completely random ideas.

Actually, i already made a comment (not a Thread) about Wilbur back then, something like:

WILBUR’S REWORK

Old perk to keep: Can run, throw poop

New perk to add:

1-    Poop when eat fruit

2-    Jump into Trees, harvest fruits on trees, hide from agro mobs, can dodge attack like Wheeler (monkey is fast so can dodge)

3-    Can now talk simple word about coming event, not much but still can (like Caesar in Planet of the Apes series)

4-    Can plant Banana on the surface, gain sanity when eat banana.

5-    Loose sanity when hungry (like normal animal), gain sanity when throw poop at other, those was thrown at loose sanity.

6-    All kind of ape don’t agro on Wilbur, can craft Prime Ape Hut which will spawn Prime Ape which will follow and stay close to him with a price (1 banana each). They will mimic whatever Wilbur do, like harvest stuff, throw poop (at the same target), pick stuff on the ground and then throw it back at Wilbur at dawn or right before get back to their hut

7-    Turn in to Oozaru (Great ape in Dragonball) when full moon, when in this form Wilbur can do Bearger's slam (help bring down multiple trees), smash rocks and demolish structures like one hit, tank boss…

image.png.ad8d8fd3110f00159e51c1abe91fc73d.png

5 hours ago, Psychomaniac said:

You mean KING KONG mode (beast mode), if so yeah :D.

Yep, am sure the addition of Godzilla to the game would be best idea ever.

This is a prime example of why most "suggestions" are rightfully glossed over and just drown forums in nonsense over-the-top fanfic.

Frankly when it comes to big changes in DST's history there were only three in my opinion.

1. The celestial portal that lets you swap characters, which was a great QOL change

2. Antlion and the oasis that added unique items, weather, and a boss with a also unique set of attacks and abilities.

3. And of course making water traversable via boats.

These changes are great on their own but combined with the fact that they're the only notable mechanic/gameplay changes that happened in the past few years their addition pales in comparison. It is obvious that the quanity of changes in DST is staggeringly low, and as a result a lot of players are becomming bored with the game.

I've seen a lot of back and forth in this thread but can't we just agree that DST is in dire need of new content?

2 hours ago, Pies said:

Frankly when it comes to big changes in DST's history there were only three in my opinion.

1. The celestial portal that lets you swap characters, which was a great QOL change

2. Antlion and the oasis that added unique items, weather, and a boss with a also unique set of attacks and abilities.

These changes are great on their own but combined with the fact that they're the only notable mechanic/gameplay changes that happened in the past few years their addition pales in comparison. It is obvious that the quanity of changes in DST is staggeringly low, and as a result a lot of players are becomming bored with the game.

I've seen a lot of back and forth in this thread but can't we just agree that DST is in dire need of new content?

I disagree, but I can provide reason- Each newly released character as well as each character Refresh plays significantly different enough that it feels like your playing a Brand new game.

You can’t play DST as Wilson & then automatically Assume Wortox, Wormwood or Wurt will play anything at all like him.

YES we want more content, yes we want tons more to do in DST, but to toss new characters and Reworks aside like they mean nothing is an Injustice to all of Klei’s hard work and effort they put into creating them. :( 

2 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I disagree, but I can provide reason- Each newly released character as well as each character Refresh plays significantly different enough that it feels like your playing a Brand new game.

You can’t play DST as Wilson & then automatically Assume Wortox, Wormwood or Wurt will play anything at all like him.

It's not what I've meant with my post, as someone who plays the new characters quite often, i can appreciate what they bring to the table.

The idea I tried to establish with my post was that there were not a lot of big changes to the mechanics of the game apart from the three things I've previously mentioned in the post above.

7 hours ago, Pies said:

and raid bosses, they change DF from RoG and added the new reing giangs.

14 hours ago, Psychomaniac said:

Actually, i already made a comment (not a Thread) about Wilbur back then, something like:

WILBUR’S REWORK

Old perk to keep: Can run, throw poop

New perk to add:

1-    Poop when eat fruit

2-    Jump into Trees, harvest fruits on trees, hide from agro mobs, can dodge attack like Wheeler (monkey is fast so can dodge)

3-    Can now talk simple word about coming event, not much but still can (like Caesar in Planet of the Apes series)

4-    Can plant Banana on the surface, gain sanity when eat banana.

5-    Loose sanity when hungry (like normal animal), gain sanity when throw poop at other, those was thrown at loose sanity.

6-    All kind of ape don’t agro on Wilbur, can craft Prime Ape Hut which will spawn Prime Ape which will follow and stay close to him with a price (1 banana each). They will mimic whatever Wilbur do, like harvest stuff, throw poop (at the same target), pick stuff on the ground and then throw it back at Wilbur at dawn or right before get back to their hut

7-    Turn in to Oozaru (Great ape in Dragonball) when full moon, when in this form Wilbur can do Bearger's slam (help bring down multiple trees), smash rocks and demolish structures like one hit, tank boss…

image.png.ad8d8fd3110f00159e51c1abe91fc73d.png

I was in 100% agreement with you all the way up until that last part about turning into a Dragonball Z Character.

Some Of your OTHER suggestions I can see actually working though, such as leaping up into trees to attempt to escape a pack of hounds. 

However to keep that from becoming unfair and incredibly Overpowered they would have to add a new Animation where the dogs can bite the tree chopping it down flushing Wilbur out of it. 

3 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I was in 100% agreement with you all the way up until that last part about turning into a Dragonball Z Character.

Agree, this part is kinda too much. but it's a Full moon thing to spice up the game, not everyday stuff. you can tweak it, like it only happen one every 69 days (or whatever day, i just like that number), first time is on the day 69, next is day 138 and so on...

3 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

...flushing Wilbur out...

Just like when you use Bush Hat (just fancier) to hide from those hounds, and you dont' have to flush him out, because it's getting dark real soon, can't have torch on tree, if there is no nearby mob or player to kill those dog just stay right under that tree and wait just like Dog-cat in real life. and VS other player in PvP, they just chop the tree down. it's a run & hide perk suitable for monkey (like in real-life), you can't kill anything with this kind of perk so may i ask why it is OP :( (no offense) !!!

About climbing tree and jump between nearby tree, there is already a mod character call  Warfarin (both DS and DST) that can do that, actually the tree ideas is from that char.

12 hours ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

... the addition of Godzilla ...

Wow... this is BRILLIANT!!!  Godzilla rise from Sea, now we do have Sea in DST, maybe Klei should add this as a Boss, on a specific day he will rise up from the sea, and only on that same day my Wilbur can transform in to King Kong to save the day... JUST PERFECT!!!

On 2/6/2020 at 9:09 PM, Shosuko said:

Dragonfly furnace = unlimited heat source = you on longer need to farm logs to heat thermal stones.  You can keep a few warm at base to quickly switch out so you don't have to sit around any more than you have to.

Bee Queen is not just crown, which is actually one of the best sanity management items in the game - especially when you can spare some damage on it, as fighting mobs like Deerclopse are much easier without their sanity auras.  You can also quickly fill up your sanity on nightmare lights in the ruins.  It also is an integral part of the sanity / insanity station crafted with evil flowers where you either do or do not wear the bee queen crown while standing on them.

Oh yeah - and bundle wraps, the thing that lets you hit pause on spoiling foods so you can keep your snacks, heals, and lightbulbs around as long as you need allowing you to skip the monotonous task of refreshing those supplies every few days.

Klaus has a 10% chance of dropping Krampus Sack, which is the end-all be-all backpack of the game.  Not just that but he has a chance to give you loots from other bosses so killing him is literally a second chance (or possibly a first because he's easier to set up for than bee queen) at getting some prize loot.

Do you need these to survive?  Of course you don't.  One of the main themes of Don't Starve is you survive your way.  You could survive as Wigfrid without ever eating if that's what you wanted to do.  Meanwhile these items, often called luxury items, really thin out how much grinding / monotonous garbage time you have to sink before you can go do something else fun.

Meta is just means the easiest / optimal way of doing something.  Stone fruit are a great example - they are easy to care for, grow year round, repopulate themselves, and can feed a server of people pretty easily.  Thus stone fruit are "meta."  You could easily survive without them but you will be working less, and getting more if you take a trip to the island soon and get stone fruit going.

Ice used to be meta because it would store forever in the fridge and could make meatballs easily.  Its kinda a universal filler.  However with stonefruit I don't use ice nearly as much.  Similarly Wickerbottom used to be meta for feeding a server of 10-20 players, however with stonefruit you can provide a good amount of food easily, and her book only advances the plant 1 of its multiple stages of growth, which happen pretty quickly on their own, so she is less needed.  Thus the meta shifts.

Since the game isn't cooperative its easy to not notice any "meta" things because you can survive without these things, but if you want to cut down the amount of time you do filler tasks these meta things can have a pretty good impact.

I admit my defeat, you're pretty much correct and everything! I should have though about it before answering...

17 hours ago, Psychomaniac said:

Wow... this is BRILLIANT!!!  Godzilla rise from Sea, now we do have Sea in DST, maybe Klei should add this as a Boss, on a specific day he will rise up from the sea, and only on that same day my Wilbur can transform in to King Kong to save the day... JUST PERFECT!!!

I don’t know about Godzilla.. but I would seriously like to see Wilbur added to the game as well as the rest of the games DLC Character cast.

Walani, Woodlegs, Wilba, Wheeler & Wagstaff.

Klei says that they don’t want to add them because people will have a complete fit that they’re giving us stuff we already have.

That is one way of looking at it- 

But now let’s look at it from a completely unbiased (except when it comes to wanting Walani First.. Joking. But Haha) Gamers Perspective on that same Subject-

Don’t Starve Together is a MULTIPLAYER Game, Intended to gather multiple people together to play Don’t Starve with, and every single person who plays the DS game franchise will have their personal favorite character they enjoy playing as.. so why exclude Any of Them?

In the end NOT Including a particular character just means that fans of that Character, If you happen to be fortunate enough to be playing on a PC has to rely on Mods for them to be playable in DST, A privilege that console gamers will never see.

And if Your on Consoles your only option is to continue playing Single Player Don’t Starve If you want to play as them. :( 

22 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Some Of your OTHER suggestions I can see actually working though, such as leaping up into trees to attempt to escape a pack of hounds. 

However to keep that from becoming unfair and incredibly Overpowered they would have to add a new Animation where the dogs can bite the tree chopping it down flushing Wilbur out of it. 

How would it be "incredibly overpowered" to be able to hide in one spot, completely stationary, while the thing chasing you is still likely roaming the area? I imagine it'd be similar to using a snurtle shell, It's not like Wilbur climbing a tree would cause the mobs to die or flee or anything.

Ironically, your suggestion would probably make it way more powerful. You could keep jumping from tree to tree, letting a pack of hounds chop each one, and you'd get tons of free wood until a treeguard eventually takes care of them. Though honestly I feel like this would be completely fine balance-wise too, it just wouldn't fit Wilbur at all to be able to use hounds for work.

1 hour ago, Sunset Skye said:

How would it be "incredibly overpowered" to be able to hide in one spot, completely stationary, while the thing chasing you is still likely roaming the area? I imagine it'd be similar to using a snurtle shell, It's not like Wilbur climbing a tree would cause the mobs to die or flee or anything.

Ironically, your suggestion would probably make it way more powerful. You could keep jumping from tree to tree, letting a pack of hounds chop each one, and you'd get tons of free wood until a treeguard eventually takes care of them. Though honestly I feel like this would be completely fine balance-wise too, it just wouldn't fit Wilbur at all to be able to use hounds for work.

Now that you mention it, That actually sounds Awesome @Sunset Skye And if for nothing else I would love to see it added to the game just so I can laugh as Wilbur scurries up a tree only for dogs to tear it down forcing him to run into another one. Incredibly Unbalanced, Yes.. but funny, Most Defiantly thanks for bringing that Vision into my head. I needed a good laugh today. :) 

Then again.. Woodie can just chop lots of trees infinitely to cause a Treeguard to Spawn, so Perhaps it isn’t as Unbalanced as you or I think.

(Also just like how Klei increased Woodies Chances of having one spawn to 50%, They can easily Decrease Wilbur’s chances..) 

So there is always options! I just think that a Playable Monkey Character should have a few more Monkey-Like gameplay Mechanics.

(But not turn into a Gigantic Dragonballz Ape haha.)

7 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

... now let’s look at it from a completely unbiased (except when it comes to wanting Walani First.. Joking. But Haha) Gamers Perspective on that same Subject-

Don’t Starve Together is a MULTIPLAYER Game, Intended to gather multiple people together to play Don’t Starve with, and every single person who plays the DS game franchise will have their personal favorite character they enjoy playing as.. so why exclude Any of Them?

In the end NOT Including a particular character just means that fans of that Character, If you happen to be fortunate enough to be playing on a PC has to rely on Mods for them to be playable in DST, A privilege that console gamers will never see.

And if Your on Consoles your only option is to continue playing Single Player Don’t Starve If you want to play as them. :( 

giphy.gif

... Don’t Starve Together is a MULTIPLAYER Game, Intended to gather multiple people together to play Don’t Starve with, and every single person who plays the DS game franchise will have their personal favorite character they enjoy playing as.. so why exclude Any of Them? In the end NOT Including a particular character just means that fans of that Character...

Please, Klei read this part then grant me my Willbur first (sorry, i have to be selfish here), then @Canis with his Walani, and everybody their Fav Char (in that order)

that they’re giving us stuff we already have

Not if they give it for free :D, Just kidding.... To be fair, as a Wilbur fan i will buy what ever related to him (in-game of course) or even re-buy him as a DST char DLC, just like other DST survivor would do to their FAV char.

5 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

(But not turn into a Gigantic Dragonballz Ape haha.)

Come on.....! Woodie can even transform into Werebeaver, Weremoose or Weregoose why not my Wilbur. Ok Gigantic is a bit too much but little big maybe, same size as a normal Treeguard (average one, not the small or tall one) or a Spider Monkey without spider leg on his back is just perfect, everything else can be balance later. 

latest?cb=20181027222335

(Without the spider leg of course)

Since it would seem that this thread got the attention of the developers as there was a mention in the roadmap, I am reviving this thread to continue the discussion. Speaking of the roadmap I was a little disappointed with how little there really was but understand it takes time to work on content so i will continue to patiently wait. 

In terms of additional content that I would like to see in the future I like the ideas @Szczuku came up with dealing with progression and more mob evolution over time in this thread: https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/topic/115716-lets-discuss-progression-one-more-time-plus-randomness/ 

Archived