Butchery for Pokeshell

Hi folks

Just looking for an idea to auto-kill pokeshell. Every "ranchable" critter can be drowned for 100% automated stable (excepting pacu, but those are rather never groomed due to excessive algae consumption), but not the pokeshell. Loyal to his IRL homolog, this crab can live underwater.

Learning from this, I've ended up with a tiny pool full of hundreds of pokeshell, waiting for dying of old age, instead of dying of drowning.

Any way to auto-kill those guys ? (except dropping eggs into a magma pool, thanks however in advance for this suggestion ^^) +1 if this can be done into a liveable area (as my ranch is into my main base).

Thanks all :)

I suppose you could have them stand in a pool of water that has conductive floor, doors under them, and a source of heat. When you need to cull them all, close the doors, vaporize the water in the pool, let the steam kill them, and then recycle steam through a turbine back into the pool. Just back of the napkin thinking.

Though you do end up killing them all concentration camp style.

Have them in a room of a temperature out of their livable range. Set the temperature to a value, that has the critters reach critical temperature after a certain time. This kills them automatically at a certain age. 

I assume you are ranching them for lime, in which case they produce several shells over their life, though its difficult to find exact info on this.
I built a dual ranch, a groomed room for a seed pop and a pokepit with a door trap from the incubators so they automatically find their way down into the pit, eggs are swept up to the incubator room and shells join the rail line to be processed.
I also use the butcher station mod, this allows you to harvest any critter without combat, and also gives bonus meat based on ranch skill, unfortunately no meat from crabs. With this you can set the butcher station to ~20% age and harvest them after they have laid a replacement egg.
I didnt run this long enough with measured output to determine the ideal setup but it seemed to be working pretty well.

19 minutes ago, KILLABUDZ said:

I assume you are ranching them for lime

Yes, and meat, and sand. But mostly, I'm reaching cycle 2000, 10 rockets (petro & LH), some oil to NG burners, about fifty dups, conveyor system for every single thing where it's usable, every plant is farmed, every critter is ranched. I've completed the "main story", I'm now having fun with "side-quests".

26 minutes ago, KILLABUDZ said:

I also use the butcher station mod

Don't want to. Playing Vanilla only, just using mods to improve UI.

3 hours ago, nakomaru said:

Drop them one at a time, with an egg, in your smooth hatch ranch

That's... brutal. ^^ Anyway, needed poke egg to trigger the aggressive behavior will mess up with hatch stable optimisation, so I will not vote for this method unfortunately.

3 hours ago, Yalp said:

Have them in a room of a temperature out of their livable range.

That sounds suited. I'm just worrying about how much time they will "need" to die...

26 minutes ago, OxCD said:

Yes, and meat,

Pokes dont drop meat, they just convert pdirt or rot piles to sand and drop molts, small 5kg as a child then large 10kg shells as an adult. Im not exactly sure but I think they drop about half a dozen molts over their life.

If you plan to cook them I would think maybe petroleum or perhaps molten lead in a pit to boil them faster.

19 minutes ago, KILLABUDZ said:

Pokes dont drop meat, they just convert pdirt or rot piles to sand and drop molts, small 5kg as a child then large 10kg shells as an adult. Im not exactly sure but I think they drop about half a dozen molts over their life.

For some reason I've always taken for granted that they would only drop 1 small and  1 large during their whole life. Does anyone know the precise number?

A while back someone posted a thread showing using mesh tile to normally keep the buggers out of the boiling oil below, then closing a door to force the hot petrol up through the tiles to fry the bugger.

I thought they only dropped a shell on death.  If they make more over their life then why bother killing them early?  Keep them groomed and fed and you're getting sand and molts.  Got too many?  Stop feeding them for a while ( while still grooming ) and let them starve.  They should auto regulate once they are eating more pdirt than you can feed them.

1 hour ago, KILLABUDZ said:

Pokes dont drop meat,

Damn, I've set this ranch during my very-late game, I've prepared the setup to gather meat, but never took time to check this (everything else was working fine). So I've a full conveyor rail for... nothing ^^

They're definitely drop more than two shells in their lifetime, so there is some sense in just letting them live. However, I don't know the numbers, and they jsut might work out in favor of fast molt fast death in terms of lime per cycle.

Nope.

35 minutes ago, Ixenzo said:

They're definitely drop more than two shells in their lifetime

So if they don't drop meat but drop more than one shell over their lifetime, maybe I must keep this pool full of hundreds crab... That is not what I've expected when I've opened this topic, but that's a good point !

7 hours ago, KILLABUDZ said:

Im not exactly sure but I think they drop about half a dozen molts over their life.

I wonder under what circumstances that might have happend. I ran a test and couldn't get more than a small and a regular molt per critter. I had them fed/unfed/ and groomed/ungroomed.

10 hours ago, Yalp said:

I wonder under what circumstances that might have happend. I ran a test and couldn't get more than a small and a regular molt per critter. I had them fed/unfed/ and groomed/ungroomed.

Same, 5kg and 10kg per for me, for wild too. Been a while since I had one though.

22 hours ago, Yalp said:

I wonder under what circumstances that might have happend.

I must have messed up with mixing in molts from clearing biomes or something, I guess I just assumed it was a better drop than just 15kg of shell over their lifespan considering what other critters do. I havent done much with them apart from just making the triple chamber design and just shipping the output to a crusher.

14 hours ago, OxCD said:

Damn, at least my post raises some question ^^

So if @nakomaru and @Yalp are correct, there's not point keeping them alive past the adult transition, except if you wanna trad some Pdirt for some sand.

Or having them laying more egg, for more lime... RIP fps.

You can still crack the eggs for omelettes.  That's the only way to get food out of them, like shine bugs.

8 hours ago, DarkMaster13 said:

You can still crack the eggs for omelettes.  That's the only way to get food out of them, like shine bugs.

Yup, but you'll miss one molt, and lime is more usefull than food, especially when you have more than 7Mkcal ^^ At least, as you said, you get the choice.

Archived